Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Villa Signings and General Rumours Thread

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

IrishMike wrote: »
    Apologies, he started 3 of the last 4 games ;)
    Peter Crouch has also played in all 4 of Capellos games in charge, but he is
    a poor squad player who wouldnt make the villa team or so im told :pac:

Crouch is a good player who has improved since his time at Villa but I and it seems most Villa fans would prefer John Carew.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

Barry is not a first choice England player, he is getting a chance and is
    doing well but has Carrick and Hargreaves vying for the same position.
    He has played 3 out of the last 4 games under Capello.
    When he has played 12 of the last 15 games then he can be considered first choice.
    Defoe has played 2 of the last 4, would you consider him close to first choice?

Oh and there have been NO recent transfers of players with a handful of England caps,
    no CL experience and who are 27 years old.
    His price cannot be as high as Carrick or Hargreaves for example.

most of Barrys caps have come in the last 18 months when playing well, what he has shown is that you dont need ot be in the top 4 to get into the England team. Did Defoe captain England?

Why not compare to Carrick? Carrick went to Utd and Barry is ahead of him in the pecking order for England, it shows you can play for England and get in ahead of players like Carrick or Lampard who play for the top 4,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

T'hell with any player who doesn't want to play for Villa.

The Acorns sponsorship should be the talk of the day, these are things we can be proud of, not our Captain courting CL footy.

One minor gripe is that the new kit will only have the Acorns logo for one season, which either makes them capitalist or commodities in years to come. Still gonna buy one anyway :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Villa have MON though I think after Wenger and Fergie he's the best manager in the league, and Lerner has spent money, we made more investment in training ground facilities than other other team last year the finiancial reports showed that.

We also paid big money for Young and Davies transfer is going through for near 9 million, I honestly think Liverpool fans are overrating Barry, which is good for the transfer fee hopefully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

When Villa look around and examine similar transfers, the price is in the £15-20m bracket, Liverpool trying to thid on the cheap is just dragging this thing on and on.

Actually, a certain Mr Xabi Alonso, is rumoured to be leaving for a figure in the region of £13.5 million, i'd call that a similar deal. Except Alonso is younger and has vast CL experience.
    Villain wrote: »
    Villa have MON though I think after Wenger and Fergie he's the best manager in the league

I'm gonna let that slide cause of the thread its in! ;)

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Actually, a certain Mr Xabi Alonso, is rumoured to be leaving for a figure in the region of £13.5 million, i'd call that a similar deal. Except Alonso is younger and has vast CL experience.

How much would you reckon Liverpool would sell him for to an English club?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

We genuinely believe that. Not really a Rafa fan, me.

Utd/Chelsea/Arsenal.....

nothing. wouldnt deal with em.

villa/portsmouth/city

13.5 million, but he wouldnt want to go to them clubs so its a mute point.

Savman wrote: »
    We genuinely believe that. Not really a Rafa fan, me.

wheres you champions league Mr O'Neill?! ;)

only kidding.

I think O'Neill is a decent manager, i think this summer will make or break him in the PL, he needs to improve the way he deals in the transfer market (this comment is nothing to do with Barry), just think he needs to show he is able to spend money.

eg in the last few years rafa has bought the likes of torres,babel,mascherano,reina,arbeloa,alonso,agger,skrtl....if, as Villa fans love saying, Villa has a load of cash to spend....O'Neill needs to start doing that.

• Advertisement

LOL well I remember a few Pool welcoming MON being linked with the pool around the time Rafa was under pressure. IF you want a run in the CL then rafa is your man if you 3rd of 4th in the league then sadly for Pool fans Rafa is also your man.

TBH in one way the whole Barry is good if it keeps clubs from looking at him rather than Ashely Young.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

Alonso is younger and has vast CL experience.

So has John O' Shea big deal, he still aint worth much.

What has Alonso contributed to the first team in the last 2 years??

Utd/Chelsea/Arsenal.....

nothing. wouldnt deal with em.

villa/portsmouth/city

13.5 million, but he wouldnt want to go to them clubs so its a mute point.

Alas there is the problem, Villa dont want to sell to Liverpool like LFC wouldnt sell to the top 3. this situation is not just about Barry, but is an important litmus test for the club as it continues to rehabilitate itself, an important part of that is keeping the best players, i believe MON and Randy are doing all in their power to persuade Barry to stay, one way or the other we'll find out soon....

LOL well I remember a few Pool welcoming MON being linked with the pool around the time Rafa was under pressure. IF you want a run in the CL then rafa is your man if you 3rd of 4th in the league then sadly for Pool fans Rafa is also your man.

You obviously dont read anything i post if you think i was one of them. Rafa has won one of the top leagues in Europe already. He'll get it right in England. I have no (well, very little) doubt about that.
    Esse85 wrote: »
    What has Alonso contributed to the first team in the last 2 years??

Liverpool have finished 3rd and 4th in the league. Getting to a CL final and being an own goal away from another CL final.

With the exception of injuries he has been in our first choice central midfield partnerships.

I think he has contributed more than his fair share.

You obviously dont read anything i post if you think i was one of them. Rafa has won one of the top leagues in Europe already. He'll get it right in England. I have no (well, very little) doubt about that.

Liverpool have finished 3rd and 4th in the league. Getting to a CL final and being an own goal away from another CL final.

With the exception of injuries he has been in our first choice central midfield partnerships.

I think he has contributed more than his fair share.

If Alonso, Crouch and whoever else are so great then why are Liverpool selling them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

If Alonso, Crouch and whoever else are so great then why are Liverpool selling them?

Because they have the best striker in Europe at the minute and Crouch
    cant get a game because of him.
    Alonso is leaving because Rafa obviously thinks his recent spate of injuries
    are going to continue which will effect his form.
    PS if Barry is so good how come Villa are letting him go to Liverpool ;)

• Advertisement

Crouch. We play with one up top. Crouch is not better than Torres.

Alonso, my answer here would be purely speculative but i think he pissed Rafa off. I certainly dont think its cause of his ability he is being sold.

Who said they are letting him go??

wow how clever you turning my question back on me:pac:

Best striker in Europe eh? i love Liverpool fans.

come on you scamps get out of the Villa thread, Crouch & Alonso have nothing to with Villa, except horrible memories:D:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

wow how clever you turning my question back on me:pac:

Best striker in Europe eh? i love Liverpool fans.

come on you scamps get out of the Villa thread, Crouch & Alonso have nothing to with Villa, except horrible memories:D:pac:

Are you honestly saying that Torres has not been the most impressive striker
    in Europe over the past season?

Are you honestly saying that Torres has not been the most impressive striker
    in Europe over the past season?
    Kaka has been better imo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Right, this is getting a tiny bit ridiculous. Torres has been a phenomenon this season, even Manchester United fans would admit to that.

Can we get back to discussing Villa, not Villa V Pool?

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Right, this is getting a tiny bit ridiculous. Torres has been a phenomenon this season, even Manchester United fans would admit to that.

Can we get back to discussing Villa, not Villa V Pool?
    Who said he wasn't?

Thats twice now statements have been made that make no sense like Irish Mike saying
    "if Barry is so good how come Villa are letting him go to Liverpool"

Who said he wasn't?

Thats twice now statements have been made that make no sense like Irish Mike saying
    "if Barry is so good how come Villa are letting him go to Liverpool"

It does make sense, because being drawn into petty squabbles over players that don't concern Villa is pointless. If Milan were the ones hunting out Barry you'd be heralding Torres as this season's better player.

The completely unjustified arrogance of Liverpool fans is something that no amount of debate on this thread will extinguish, so just ignore them and they'll sod off.

Nope I wouldn't actually and I have no problem with Pool fans talking up our players.

Im sick and tired of liverpool fans butting in too, they've enough problems of their own to deal with. Its gas how the minute someone on here mentions their club there's guys just waiting to reply back with a comment, its like their lurking about waiting for a villa fan to brighten up their day.

Well im gonna try ignore them and get back on topic, i suggest we all try this or else we should set up a different thread called "The Gareth Barry Speculation thread"

Maloney's agent has said his player will remain at VP next season. I cant see him getting many first team chances however with the extra substitute being named on the bench, he has more of a chance of coming off the bench.

It depends on signings really, I would expect a decent winger to come in, although we are short up top with Moore gone and well the squad can't really get any smaller.

Thats true, my knowledge of the foreign leagues is limited but for the right wing, the only players that could be available are SWP, Bentley, Lennon and Pennant.

Id rate them in that order too. I think whatever RB we sign will be from out side the EPL, Blackburn could be a team worth raiding. Players like Santa Cruz, Bentley, McCarthy and Pederson could be worth pursuing. Id even take Friedal for a year if it meant Guzan could be his under study.

Pablo Aimar and Diego Milito are also available, Eidur Gudjohnson would be another option but whether MON knows much about the Spanish league i dunno.

Its a pity we didnt take a gamble on Glenn Johnson last summer. He's turned out to be a bargain at £3m

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

http://www.avfc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/Home

lovely video there about the acorns thing

have to say, ive never in my life been as proud to be a villa fan as i am right now because of this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

Esse85 wrote: »
    Its a pity we didnt take a gamble on Glenn Johnson last summer. He's turned out to be a bargain at £3m

Yea was saying that last year

absolute bargain at that price.

Hmmmmm.... call me the eternal cynic... but is anyone else a bit worried that a cash sale of Barry, followed by a few signings, could be a sign that maybe the money isn't there to be spent as MON claims?

• Advertisement

Well I'd find it hard to believe that MON would stay around if thats the case and also giving a charity free place on our shirt would lend you to think that money isn't an issue.

Well I'd find it hard to believe that MON would stay around if thats the case and also giving a charity free place on our shirt would lend you to think that money isn't an issue.

I agree, it'd be very puzzling if he'd stick around in such a scenario. But I'm telling you, that charity sponsorship deal is a marketing masterstroke that will end up earning Villa an awful lot more than €2m in overall sponsorship this year. Look how many papers have run the story this morning. Whether it's in jersey sales, goodwill, money from Nike or otherwise, it's a nice gesture, but a profitable one also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Guardian report that Liverpool will table an offer of 14 million cash + players
    Liverpool's initial £10m-rated bid fell short of O'Neill's valuation and while their second offer is expected to be worth in the region of £14m, again with players such as Scott Carson and John Arne Riise offered in exchange, Villa want closer to £18m.

Mike.

I'd take Riise and 16m and run.

Barry WILL not be playing for Villa at the start of next season, quite ****ty really.

All reports suggest that he wants to leave to play champions league football. I just hope Villa get a good deal out of it, still not too convinced by Crouch but I have faith in mon so if he brings him in i'm sure he will do a job for us.

Carson, Riise and 16m would be a good deal imo.

shoutman wrote: »
    Carson, Riise and 16m would be a good deal imo.

That would be a ****ing fantastic deal.

Rating Riise at 4 million (roma and newcastle interested) and Carson at 6 million, which i think is very fair, would mean that Barry would be leaving for around £26million.

Little bit carried away i think.

16 million would buy him outright imo.

Worth more to us then that tbh. Riise isn't worth 4 million to Liverpool.

so you think if Villa are selling they will be holding our for a figure no less than £25million?

Living in dreamworld i think.

• Advertisement

id take riise, crouch, finnan and £5m

so you think if Villa are selling they will be holding our for a figure no less than £25million?

Living in dreamworld i think.

i agree, tho you can be sure as **** whatever liverpool offer mon will say he wants £4m more lol

Helix wrote: »
    i agree, tho you can be sure as **** whatever liverpool offer mon will say he wants £4m more lol

And you can be equally sure that if Rafa thinks MON or Lerner or whoever is taking the piss with the fee, he will pull the plug on the deal, hes done it with better more high profile players over lesser amounts of money.

wouldnt be good for any of the parties concerned, especially Barry and i dont think he deserves that, he has behaved very well throughout the whole saga.

And darn tooten too.

I'm surprised there is no other teams in for Barry, would love to send him abroad if he was going somewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

shoutman wrote: »
    Riise isn't worth 4 million to Liverpool.
    He is if someone is prepared to pay it and that's the figure he's being linked with a move to Roma for.
    Which they won't pay so it'll then be up to Barry to make another choice - formally put in for a transfer and p!ss Villa fans off even further or stay put.

barry was very clear about it after the usa game when he said he had no decision to make unless villa told him he was going to be sold

• Advertisement

barry was very clear about it after the usa game when he said he had no decision to make unless villa told him he was going to be sold

you're kidding yourself Helix.

you saying Barry will only be sold if Villa "want" to sell him?

Wat Barry means is that Villa know he wants to leave, when they accept an offer he'll talk about the move. until then the ball is in their court.

but if they refuse to accept a fair offer (12-15m) Barry can make it very public he wants to go (more so than he already has) and then any position of power Villa have is gone.

No club keeps a player who wants to leave.

barry will only be sold if we accept a bid, hes not going to force the issue. barry is enough of a pro not to act the bollox

ive no doubt we'll sell him, but it wont be until the right bid comes in

if pool offer a decent CASH bid, itll be accepted

but while you continue to flute around with player exchanges it wont happen unless theres a substantial wad included on top of any players you want rid of

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

you're kidding yourself Helix.

you saying Barry will only be sold if Villa "want" to sell him?

Wat Barry means is that Villa know he wants to leave, when they accept an offer he'll talk about the move. until then the ball is in their court.

but if they refuse to accept a fair offer (12-15m) Barry can make it very public he wants to go (more so than he already has) and then any position of power Villa have is gone.

No club keeps a player who wants to leave.

Its a huge assumption you're making, that Barry doesn't just mean what he says. Barry has been a model professional and doesn't seem the type to hold the club to ransom by handing a transfer request in, especially given the progress at Villa lately.

Again, its just the typical rubbish from Liverpool fans thinking every player automatically would kill their first born to join them.

I believe that if Villa and Liverpool are able to agree a fee, then Barry will go. But otherwise Barry will play for Villa next season.

Barry will stay if Villa don't accept an offer imo and will give 100% as he always has done.

surely the fact that Villa are even listening to offers would imply that Barry has already told them he wants to leave?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement