Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Villa Signings and General Rumours Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Mr Alan wrote: »
    surely the fact that Villa are even listening to offers would imply that Barry has already told them he wants to leave?
    Helix wrote: »
    saying "no" every time an offer comes in doesnt really constitute "listening to offers" tho does it

Haha yeah thats about the gist of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

surely the fact that Villa are even listening to offers would imply that Barry has already told them he wants to leave?

saying "no" every time an offer comes in doesnt really constitute "listening to offers" tho does it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

Yep typical Liverpool fans, their arrogance knows no bounds, they're essentially suggesting that Barry should go all Nicholas Anelka on Villa if the club dont accept whatever two bit offer of cash and duds rafa decides to offer.

Now realise this classless-epitome-of-what-is-wrong-with-football types , MON is not going to accept a crap offer, Barry goes on Villas terms not Liverpools.

But alas, the silence continues, hopefully MON is working Barry over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

Lads can ye stop replying to the crap those outsiders are talking about. I feel their deliberately talking sh1te to get some attention. Ignore them and they'll get bored.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

No. But saying the offer recieved isnt good enough is telling any interested clubs to revise their offers. This counts as seeming like you are up for negotiation on the price.

This thread is very friendly altogether, this "outsider" wont be posting in it again. Apologies for spoiling your little party. And there was me thinking this was a general football forum as opposed to a fan site.

No. But saying the offer recieved isnt good enough is telling any interested clubs to revise their offers. This counts as seeming like you are up for negotiation on the price.

This thread is very friendly altogether, this "outsider" wont be posting in it again. Apologies for spoiling your little party. And there was me thinking this was a general football forum as opposed to a fan site.

Dont let the door hit you on the way out as you rush to the moral high ground.

Barry has been unsettled by Liverpool, they have employed means employed by other 'big clubs' to turn his head, against the express wishes of Aston Villa. This transfer is a symbol of the rotten way in which football conducts its business, its the Liverpool way now apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭spiderdan

It does seem to me that Villa still hold all the cards regarding Barry, I too feel that he'll be off once Liverpool cop on and pay the right price i.e. 18m as he's easily on a par with Carrick and Hargreaves! No less then what UTD paid IMO.

I'm a little disappointed to see us getting linked with players like Rise and Crouch, I'd be much happier to see MON aim higher and try to entice players of a higher caliber, like Spurs seem to be able to do with players like Modic linked with Villa (player) today as well etc. It really is time for Villa to step up and make a really strong challenge, as money isn't an issue anymore!

Personally I'd like to see a quality euro right back- a very good RW like SWP or Milner who I think has a huge amount of potential, we badly need a good AM maybe Aimar? and another quality forward maybe Santa Cruz! Someone like that- if we don't start competing in the market we wont break the top 4 for god knows how long!

MON clearly is the right man for the job and obv believes he can do it- but he really has to get the finger out or else face a massive backlash- this is the first transfer window in a while where we really have very little excuses come September!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Oh boo hoo, my heart weeps :rolleyes:
    Seriously, come in peace or don't come at all. Yes it's a general Soccer discussion forum, but don't expect the locals to give you hugs and kisses when you start picking apart the club, its players, fans or manager. Most of us would have the cop on not to do the same on your Liverpool thread, so a little common sense should prevail.

If you're only contribution here is about Gareth Barry, yawn. There are bigger things happening at Villa Park than Barry, you probably aren't aware of those though.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

No club keeps a player who wants to leave.

I don't understand this statement. Barry is contracted to Villa for 2 more years. If Villa decide not to sell him then he won't be sold. Fergie said recently that he would rather see Ronaldo rot in the reserves than play for Real Madrid. Surely if O'Neill decides, 'No I don't care how much Liverpool (or anyone else) bids, we're not selling Gareth,' then he won't be sold? Simple as. Villa don't need the money. You don't seem to realise that Gareth is a model pro, and he won't throw his toys out of the pram or lie on the ground screaming until he gets his move.

And tbh, to Villa, Barry is worth waaaaayyy more than £18. He's the captain and heartbeat of the team and club. He's practically irreplaceable.

Good work by O'Neill demanding 8m + Crouch. By Liverpools valuations that'd be 23m! Awesome! I don't want Riise. Finnan maybe, but simply cos any right back is better than none. Pennant would be useful, but would prefer SWP or Milner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

I don't understand this statement. Barry is contracted to Villa for 2 more years. If Villa decide not to sell him then he won't be sold. Fergie said recently that he would rather see Ronaldo rot in the reserves than play for Real Madrid. Surely if O'Neill decides, 'No I don't care how much Liverpool (or anyone else) bids, we're not selling Gareth,' then he won't be sold? Simple as. You don't seem to realise that Gareth is a model pro, and he won't throw his toys out of the pram or lie on the ground screaming until he gets his move.
    'Simple as' as long as Barry remains the model pro (and I'm not suggesting he's anything other than that) and doesn't tell Villa that he wants to leave/refuses to sign a contract extension. If that were to happen Villa would be foolish not to cash in on him now rather than let him run down his contract and leave for free in a couple of years. Sure they could hold onto him and let that happen but it'd be a bit like throwing money away and no club - no matter who's backing them or how deep their pockets are - is going to do that -- and I include Utd in that too regardless of what Fergie might be saying in the media. People can say that MON is calling all the shots here but Barry himself is the one who'll decide his own future (and rightly so) - if he does decide to leave MONs position is significantly undermined. Even more so if a player sets their sights on a particular club.

We've seen it with the likes of Owen & Gerrard in recent years where the reality was that we'd little choice but to do business (or in Gerrards case face up to the reality of doing business) that we simply didn't want to do. We've also seen the rarer flip side of a player really calling the shots where we'd agreed a deal to sell Salif Diao but he failed to agree personal terms so stayed put (no one could force him to take a pay cut and iirc move to another country). Managers don't always get their way.

The Times did report a few days ago claiming he'd already "told Villa in private that he wanted to leave last month" but it was the first time I've seen such a claim (and I have been following this as best I can) so I dismissed it as more made up rubbish from the press. Even if it were true he certainly doesn't appear to have done so formally - i.e. no transfer request.

Do any of you follow any of the independent Villa forums ? If so what are the more credible sources on those forums saying in relation to this ? As a Liverpool supporter I've a genuine interest in this possible transfer and as a Liverpool supporter I fully understand what Villa fans are going through right now as we've been there before.

• Advertisement

I think most fans accept he's more than likely off and short of O'Neill pulling a rabbit out of the hat, or more likely his arse, it seems an inevitability. Already there's some harsh words being spoken about GB and his potential return to VP, although he was a good servant and stayed loyal for a long time I can see this hurting the Villa fans for a while yet. Everyone is pointing to the Mellberg example of how to bow out gracefully while still maintaining respect for the fans and ensuring you are spoken in high regard in Villa folklore.

This one seems to have us divided, probably moreso because he's club captain and I don't think anyone seen it coming considering how easily he could've left us in the past but chose to stick with us thru thick and thin.

Dunno what to make of it anymore, just want him gone at this stage or to sign a contract extension and put the whole saga behind us. He's still very much wanted though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭rgiller

Savman wrote: »
    Already there's some harsh words being spoken about GB and his potential return to VP, although he was a good servant and stayed loyal for a long time I can see this hurting the Villa fans for a while yet.

I can't believe that and, quite frankly, if Barry leaves, anyone who doesn't give him a good reception on his return to Villa Park is an idiot. The man has been a consistent, unwavering servant to the club for 10 years and is probably the only real hero we have around any more. Sure the new group of players give it socks and are enthusiastic, hard-working, etc but they haven't been there long enough to be considered in the same category as GB. The man is class, through and through, and if he leaves he'll be sorely missed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

The Sidwell deal is apparently agreed upon, for a fee of £5m, but both he and SWP are refusing to leave the bridge until the new manager is in and confirms they are surplus to requirements.

Pompey leading the race to sign SWP is disappointing form a Villa perspective. That'll be twice they'll have landed a player that really could have made an impact at VP, imo, based purely on their proximity to London.

I cant help but think us Villa fans will be left disappointed come the end of the transfer window.
    MON said yesterday he wont be signing anybody playing in the European Championships
    I think Man City and Spurs will be among the shake up for 5th spot next year, Hughes and Ramos certainly wont be afraid to spend their owners cash.

The Barry saga has deflected the attention away from the lack of players we have. Im getting sick of the whole saga now, he should just ask for a move or sign a bumper new contract. The club needs to get on with things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

We need to sign 6-8 players, of wich 4 need to be top 6 quality and that will need to be 5 if Barry leaves.

Don't panic I think MON will splash the cash not many transfers happen in June.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Window isnt even open till 01st of July if I'm not mistaken.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Esse85 wrote: »
    I cant help but think us Villa fans will be left disappointed come the end of the transfer window.
    MON said yesterday he wont be signing anybody playing in the European Championships
    I think Man City and Spurs will be among the shake up for 5th spot next year, Hughes and Ramos certainly wont be afraid to spend their owners cash.

It's deja vu.

rgiller wrote: »
    I can't believe that and, quite frankly, if Barry leaves, anyone who doesn't give him a good reception on his return to Villa Park is an idiot.
    So if your missus of 10yrs leaves you for a richer man, you're gonna applaud her every time she visits the home where you shared so many wonderful memories together? Right.

I came across this in a Barry article today on a Bolton Wanderers site of all places, but it sums up my sentiments:
    There has been a trend recently, for the big four to mop up the best players from the lower placed clubs and then under utilise them. It serves no one well.

Yossi Benayoun had fifteen league starts last season, and the same number of substitute appearances. Not bad, but nowhere near the playing time he would have got at his previous club, West Ham. Israeli team mate, Tal Ben Haim could play anywhere across the back four at Bolton. He`s lucky to get on the team bus since signing for Chelsea. More tellingly, Nicolas Anelka, an international player of proven quality, who followed Ben Haim to Stamford Bridge, has been limited to a few late appearances off the subs bench. Steve Sidwell, has similarly played only a handful of games since joining the Blues from Reading.

So if your missus of 10yrs leaves you for a richer man, you're gonna applaud her every time she visits the home where you shared so many wonderful memories together?

Hardly comparing like with like now is it?

• Advertisement

"Window isnt even open till 01st of July if I'm not mistaken"

Nice to know you stick to your word.

Esse85 wrote: »
    Hardly comparing like with like now is it?
    Same thing. The guy who was often dubbed "Mr Aston Villa" is heading for the exit door, all I'm saying is it's probably understandable where the animosity is coming from.

But if he stays we can learn to love again :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭rgiller

So if your missus of 10yrs leaves you for a richer man, you're gonna applaud her every time she visits the home where you shared so many wonderful memories together? Right.

Pointless argument, unless you've been servicing GB as you would your missus: then I could see where the animosity's coming from. Fact is that Barry has been our best player consistently for a long time, and has devoted a lot of his career to us, given he's not a local. Why would you boo someone who's done such a great job for a very long time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

the irony

same happens in the liverpool thread and same happens in the united thread

So whose watching euro 2008 then, tis only Bouma at the tournament for Villa, but a few oldboys will be there like Allback, Mellberg, Hitzlsperger(proud owner of a AV shirt with his name & no. on it) and Baros.

If Bouma means we have to cheer for the Netherlands then i dont mind, go Oranje!, although reading the previews the Dutch are slated for having a terrible defence, bit unfair on Bouma(who may be starting against the French & Italians but not the Romanians), its not his fault Heitinga & Ooijer are useless!.

MON will be there for the Beeb so can we expect some inspired europop signings after this tournament? lets hope for less Jordi Cruyff/Nuno Gomes and more erm um decent players!

rgiller wrote: »
    Pointless argument, unless you've been servicing GB as you would your missus: then I could see where the animosity's coming from. Fact is that Barry has been our best player consistently for a long time, and has devoted a lot of his career to us, given he's not a local. Why would you boo someone who's done such a great job for a very long time?
    Simple, because he's playing for a rival. It's not that hard a concept to grasp is it? Once he becomes a Liverpool player, or any player of another Premiership club, he can crash and burn for all I care.

If he's gonna be shallow about looking after his own needs, then I don't see why we should take the high road. He'll get the same frosty reception every other ex Villa player gets upon their return. Banter is part of the game, last time I checked anyway.

This isn't croquet where you pat your ex team mate on the back and say "jolly good show old friend" - I want him to fail miserably because his demise will be Liverpool's demise and that is better for Aston Villa. I'm a Barry fan because he is an Aston Villa player, not in spite of the fact.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Alan and others should be welcome to post here/anywhere if they want to. If you dislike what they post then ignore it or add them to your ignore list or respond without abuse.

anyway id never boo Barry on his return to VP if he leaves unless his action seriously get worse before then.... :eek::eek:Savman services him, boo boo boo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

the thing that i dont understand about people saying theyll boo/hate barry is that theyre using the excuse that hes leaving while the club is on the up and he shouldnt be. now imo thats bollox

it wouldve been far worse for barry to leave 2 years ago when he nearly signed for pompey. that wouldve been leaving us in the lurch, and in a complete mess. he didnt, he stayed for (at least) 2 more years and dragged us kicking and screaming into the top 6

if he decides to leave now, thats fine by me. hes 28 and he wants to play 3 or 4 seasons in the champions league. thats fine

he might achieve CL footie with villa if he stays, but every season from here on in that we DONT qualify would be another season of his career where he didnt get the chance to test himself against the worlds best

let the chap go at the peak of his career and give it his all, we owe that to him

hopefully not to the scouse filth tho lol

if i had my way hed play 6 champions league games a season, and be the absolute star of the show as liverpool get knocked out at the group stage on goal difference every single time

Alan and others should be welcome to post here/anywhere if they want to. If you dislike what they post then ignore it or add them to your ignore list or respond without abuse.

They can say what they like same as ill say what i like, but having to read over the same old argument again and again gets boring:D

the thing that i dont understand about people saying theyll boo/hate barry is that theyre using the excuse that hes leaving while the club is on the up and he shouldnt be. now imo thats bollox

it wouldve been far worse for barry to leave 2 years ago when he nearly signed for pompey. that wouldve been leaving us in the lurch, and in a complete mess. he didnt, he stayed for (at least) 2 more years and dragged us kicking and screaming into the top 6

if he decides to leave now, thats fine by me. hes 28 and he wants to play 3 or 4 seasons in the champions league. thats fine

he might achieve CL footie with villa if he stays, but every season from here on in that we DONT qualify would be another season of his career where he didnt get the chance to test himself against the worlds best

let the chap go at the peak of his career and give it his all, we owe that to him

hopefully not to the scouse filth tho lol

if i had my way hed play 6 champions league games a season, and be the absolute star of the show as liverpool get knocked out at the group stage on goal difference every single time

Great post Helix.

GB has given his best to the club for 10 years, there's very few players around in the EPL who can say that.
    He doesnt deserve any stick if he decides to leave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

He has been one of my favourite players since 98', but he is not going to improve Liverpool.

I would rather Alonso over Barry everytime. Hopefully he can do well, but he's very lucky to get this move.(if he does)

• Advertisement

Theres little else happening bar the Barry saga, the Acorn deal got lost in the debate (as its been known for months anyway) and there seems little else to talk about as whatever is happening with Barry Villa are keeping quiet on it, MON is at Euro 2008 and theres SFA happening tranfer wise publicly, so no wonder im getting pissed off when theres nothing to debate.

How about we all get out in the sunshine for a few days, i took my dog to the beach today and didnt think about the turncoa...err Gareth Barry:p at all. The best way for Randy, MON & The General to take our minds off GB is to announce either

a) Gareth has signed a new improved contract and dissed Gerrard for going all teenage girl in public about Barry

b) Announce new big signing/signings, id rather this to Barry staying

O`NEILL: TOP FOUR CHANCES ARE SLIM

Aston Villa chief Martin O'Neill has conceded the chances of breaking into the top four next season are slim.

Nigel Reo-Coker recently suggested Villa should be pushing to gatecrash the Premier League's 'big four' as the club look to make the next step under O'Neill.

Newcastle boss Kevin Keegan provoked widespread debate at the back end of last season when he claimed it is almost impossible for any side to break the monopoly of Manchester United, Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool in the higher echelons of the Premier League.

O'Neill can understand Keegan's sentiments and admits it is getting harder to challenge the top sides.

"To go that big leap into the Champions League is a real big order of events," O'Neill told The Mirror.

"Kevin Keegan has already said he doesn't think Newcastle can and that might put it into a realistic perspective. They are a massive club who played Champions League not so very long ago.

"So if Newcastle, who pay big wages and who average over 51,000 people, can't and are thinking it is going to be hard, then maybe it does put it into perspective."

Meanwhile, O'Neill is determined to bring in new players quickly after losing Olof Mellberg, Thomas Sorensen, Luke Moore and Patrik Berger this summer.

"It's a rebuilding job and we are going to try and start as quickly as we can," added O'Neill.

http://www.football365.com/story/0,17033,8652_3656323,00.html

This is great, well done MON:rolleyes: great timing. I know Villa probably wont break the top 4 next season, but still, could he not just keep hush for now and not be so downbeat about things?

Downbeat?! DOWNBEAT?! Healthy dose of realism!

Isn't the sort of talk thats gonna attract the big names we need to be signing though.

So im Gareth Barry, after having the ear chewed off me on international duty by Steven Gerrard about the pleasures of Champions league Football (where even Peter Crouch can score a Hat Trick:eek:)i return to MON saying Villa are not going to qualify for the CL next season, Jeez MON is making the decision real hard for Gareth Barry. At least John Gregory talked big and would fight the seemingly inevitability of all this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

He's being realistic, I don't think anyone would look at Villa and say, "yep definately a top four team".

Thats nonsense. It's not like MON said he's not going to try and make it to the top four, he's just saying the chances of Villa finishing top four next season are slim.

They would be way more then 10/1 I would imagine.

And thats my problem, NRC was talking about Villa going the next step, what happens? MON plays them down. Spurs finished 11th and Man City barely stayed in the top 10, they are both talking big and matching words with actions.

What do Villa do? same as always, very little or nothing. this summer we are faced with the prospect of 2 players abandoning the good ship Villa for CL football and not a peep out of VP.

We could just about stomach Mellberg leaving, as of course, long career at Villa, want to play abroad etc, though of course we well know he is going to Juve and is going to play at the top level seemingly for another few years.

Barry is leaving along the same lines, at Villa a long time, wants to play CL etc so now he is gone.

Next is it Ashley Young, Carew? Laursen?

How is Villa an attractive proposition for a Modric signing if all our best players are leaving? our club captain is leaving after being unsettled by a predator top 4 club and after initial annoyance MON has accepted it and the silence is deafinging from the New ownership.

Maybe MON is right. We're not going to qualify for the CL if we sell one of our top players and captain to the team Villa would have to finish higher then to qualify for the CL.

The Barry transfer can be dressed up all it wants as inevitable, Good money may be recieved but have we really moved on from the attitude of 10 years ago this month?, are Villa just content to bob along in the top half of the PL?

Ok question for everyone. What is the expectation level for the 08/09 season?

Let's be honest, no matter who we sign we're faced with a HUGE fight for another Top 6 finish, a few good cup runs and at the very most an outside chance of reaching a Cup Final if the draw is kind to us, which it never is (thank you Man U every January :mad:)

We're not gonna win the league lads! For me the Intertoto/UEFA is more about re-establishing us up there at Europe's top level rather than a flash in the pan cameo.

It's more about the journey than the destination.

I think all of us realise that its gonna be very difficult for us to break into the top 4, but no1 needs to hear how unlikely it is from the manager. He needs to be talking about how if we can get the right players in how anything might happen, and all of a sudden we might see the right players attracted. At the moment, I'm predicting another failed transfer window, but thankfully theres still plenty of time to be proved wrong.

DSB wrote: »
    I think all of us realise that its gonna be very difficult for us to break into the top 4, but no1 needs to hear how unlikely it is from the manager.
    So you'd rather PR bulls*hit spun at us from O Neill and Lerner? MON shoots straight from the hip, and anyone with half a footballing brain will say Villa will be doing well to simply hold onto 6th, never mind the "Top 4". Let's not get delusional here, the gulf is huge.

The Barry saga is pretty much concrete evidence that we're in the Premiership's second tier.

• Advertisement

I dont get it, We have a Billionaire chairman, we're in the top 6 and we have an allegedly ambitous manager & Owner. How is it Spurs & Man City both have the same elements,but whilst Villa struggle to keep on to their players, they seem to have no difficulty buying and selling (Quality aside), Villa have a tiny squad now, had one last season, and going by the way MON is sounding, another tiny squad come August.

Villa already lost our former captain to the lure of the CL

We're now going to lose our current captain to the lure of CL

Whats changed since Dwight Yorke?

At what point do we stop selling our best players?, we're not going to get into the CL by selling our best then scampering around for a low cost ginger replacement, stuff the Intertoto & UEFA Cup, its the CL is where its at and when the higher echelons of the club are refusing to even consider qualifying for CL football (apart from vague 5 year plans and soundbites) as realistic goal for the season then why are we bothering?, Villa are on an upward trajectory, does that stop at 6th for MON & Lerner.

Villa finished 6th this season. In 2008/9 Villa should be gearing up for a run for qualifying for the CL, we might not qualify but at least we can give it a shot and talk about it instead of procrastinating. This means signing players capable of doing so, keeping the players capable of doing so and the club & players indicating the CL is a the target, not a far off distant dream maybe at the end of a plan.

Everton have been trying to repeat the trick for a few seasons, but it can be done, the top 4 is as much a state of mind as anything else. Liverpool are there for the taking.

I dont get it, We have a Billionaire chairman, we're in the top 6 and we have an allegedly ambitous manager & Owner. How is it Spurs & Man City both have the same elements,but whilst Villa struggle to keep on to their players, they seem to have no difficulty buying and selling (Quality aside), Villa have a tiny squad now, had one last season, and going by the way MON is sounding, another tiny squad come August.

Villa already lost our former captain to the lure of the CL

We're now going to lose our current captain to the lure of CL

Whats changed since Dwight Yorke?

At what point do we stop selling our best players?, we're not going to get into the CL by selling our best then scampering around for a low cost ginger replacement, stuff the Intertoto & UEFA Cup, its the CL is where its at and when the higher echelons of the club are refusing to even consider qualifying for CL football (apart from vague 5 year plans and soundbites) as realistic goal for the season then why are we bothering?, Villa are on an upward trajectory, does that stop at 6th for MON & Lerner.

Villa finished 6th this season. In 2008/9 Villa should be gearing up for a run for qualifying for the CL, we might not qualify but at least we can give it a shot and talk about it instead of procrastinating. This means signing players capable of doing so, keeping the players capable of doing so and the club & players indicating the CL is a the target, not a far off distant dream maybe at the end of a plan.

Everton have been trying to repeat the trick for a few seasons, but it can be done, the top 4 is as much a state of mind as anything else. Liverpool are there for the taking.

Post of the century.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

Gotta agree with invincibleirish
    Villa will continue to be viewed as a selling club as long as people like Barry and Mellberg
    even contemplate leaving the club.
    Bad state of affairs, can imagine the wage cap is really low too which is why they
    are not able to attract players like Spurs or Man City

*deep breath before saying this*

I rather the days when Doug was in control then at least we could blame him for Barry leaving, in fact i would not blame Barry for leaving then.

But i thought we struck gold when Lerner & MON took charge at VP in their respective roles. Im not gonna start shouting for either of their heads but if Villa just roll over and accept Barry leaving that sets a precedent for Young & Agbonlahor, have a few good years at VP then decamp for the CL teams.

Lerner has done amazing things for Villa & Gen Krulak is a hero, but talks of expanding the stadium, the Acorn Deal, record attendances and ST numbers is all well and good but pale in comparison to losing our captain and hero.

*edit* and replacing him with a Chelsea reserve team reserve for 6m. good business especially if Villa get 15-20m for Barry, but what looks good on the ledger book doesnt look good to a Villa fan. Besides even if we got 40m for Barry arent Villa & MON not supposed to worry about transfer funds? arent the days gone of buying before selling? then why are most of the players we linked with z list?.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

Firstly although I think Barry is going to leave, he hasn't gone anywhere.

And Yes we haven't signed anyone yet, but I reckon the week or two after the Euro Championships will see us signing a few players.

MON is over there and is surely not there to scout future employment opportunities.

I still think we may have a small squad next season but still fully expect at lest six players to come in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

shoutman wrote: »
    Firstly although I think Barry is going to leave, he hasn't gone anywhere.

And Yes we haven't signed anyone yet, but I reckon the week or two after the Euro Championships will see us signing a few players.

MON is over there and is surely not there to scout future employment opportunities.

I still think we may have a small squad next season but still fully expect at lest six players to come in.

That maybe so but if Spurs are willing to spend £30m+, city are willing to buy
    Ronaldinho and spend £20m on some brazilian in Russia who no one has ever
    heard of surely Villa will have to spend at least the same to overtake them?

IrishMike wrote: »
    That maybe so but if Spurs are willing to spend £30m+, city are willing to buy
    Ronaldinho and spend £20m on some brazilian in Russia who no one has ever
    heard of surely Villa will have to spend at least the same to overtake them?

Not necessarily but we do need to spend, and not on cheap 'bargains' like Knight and Routledge. When O'Neill has splashed the cash he has done it well on players like Young, Reo Coker and Davies, but he just hasn't done it enough, and from everything we've been led to believe, the resources are there to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭spiderdan

I totally agree that MON has to bring in some quality players into the team, but thinking about it I'd be much more confident in his ability to buy players with a large decent budget compaired to the likes of Ramos, or Keegan.

City & Spurs seem to be chasing the dream, and in order to fulfill their ambitions they come across as a team desperate to buy the "hot shots" i.e. Jo from Russia 20m that’s a joke he's not a proven player at all, City trying to sign Ronnie and pay him stupid money- that looks like a very nice retirement bonus- he's nothing to prove anymore, just look at his behavior at Barca- typical buy in order to please the fans! I'm not saying I'd be disappointed if we signed him but I'd prefer the money going into 2/3 quality players who will give a 100% i.e. Milner- Sidwell etc.

My point is I have a lot of trust in MON when it comes to this summers transfer window- he won't be pushed into panic buys when teams like City and Spurs buy very questionable players and destabalising their squad risking yet another year of massive disappointment.

Sure, let's sign £200,000 per week Ronaldinho :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

who needs Ronaldinho whe youve got Sean Scannell
    Martin O'Neill targets Crystal Palace starlet Sean Scannell
    Jun 6 2008 By Bill Howell

VILLA boss Martin O'Neill is poised to make a firm bid for long-term target Sean Scannell.

The 17-year-old Crystal Palace winger is viewed as one for the future by O'Neill, who will be asked to fork out in the region of £3million.

O'Neill will then look to further his interest in Tottenham's Tom Huddlestone, while his move for a right-winger appears to have settled at Newcastle's James Milner, although Spurs' Aaron Lennon could yet come into the frame.

Scannell, who was born in South London and joined Palace as a 14-year-old, made his debut for the club just seven months ago and was quickly offered a two- and-a-half-year professional contract, which he signed in January.

Scannell, who has an Irish father, picked up the Young Player of the Year award for last season and his startling introduction to the professional game led him being recognised by Republic of Ireland coach Giovanni Trapattoni, who called him into his training squad for a Portugal training camp last month followed by the friendlies against Serbia and Colombia.

Huddlestone, like Scannell, is still young at 21 but the former Derby and Wolves player is faced with an uncertain future with Juande Ramos looking to overhaul his squad.

A fee of around £5million is likely for a player who still has three years remaining of a four-and-a-half-year contract he signed in December 2006.
    would be nice to have an Irish international playing at Villa Park again.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement