Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Villa Signings and General Rumours Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

Savman wrote: »
    Sure, let's sign £200,000 per week Ronaldinho :eek:

Well id rather a Modric to a Harewood, Knight or a Routledge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

spiderdan wrote: »
    I totally agree that MON has to bring in some quality players into the team, but thinking about it I'd be much more confident in his ability to buy players with a large decent budget compaired to the likes of Ramos, or Keegan.

City & Spurs seem to be chasing the dream, and in order to fulfill their ambitions they come across as a team desperate to buy the "hot shots" i.e. Jo from Russia 20m that’s a joke he's not a proven player at all, City trying to sign Ronnie and pay him stupid money- that looks like a very nice retirement bonus- he's nothing to prove anymore, just look at his behavior at Barca- typical buy in order to please the fans! I'm not saying I'd be disappointed if we signed him but I'd prefer the money going into 2/3 quality players who will give a 100% i.e. Milner- Sidwell etc.

My point is I have a lot of trust in MON when it comes to this summers transfer window- he won't be pushed into panic buys when teams like City and Spurs buy very questionable players and destabalising their squad risking yet another year of massive disappointment.

Are you honestly saying you would prefer to have James Milner instead of Ronaldinho?
    James Milner is an average average player, Ronaldinho in a wheelchair is still a better player.
    Lack of ambition by Villa this summer and again next summer could see the likes of Young leave

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

IrishMike wrote: »
    Are you honestly saying you would prefer to have James Milner instead of Ronaldinho?
    James Milner is an average average player, Ronaldinho in a wheelchair is still a better player.
    Lack of ambition by Villa this summer and again next summer could see the likes of Young leave

For the wages we'd have to pay Ronaldinho, yes I personally would prefer to bring in Milner aswell as 5 or 6 more players of similar quality.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

in a bit over half a year Ronaldinho could sign Milner with his wages!

You are owned by a billionaire, bargin basement buys like James Milner will do nothing
    to move Villa up the table.
    If you pay peanuts you get monkeys, simple as that.
    Ronaldinho will probably "settle" for £100k a week, Milner will want £40k surely.
    Is Ronaldinho worth 2.5 times James Milner? I certainly think so.

• Advertisement

You are owned by a billionaire, bargin basement buys like James Milner will do nothing
    to move Villa up the table.
    If you pay peanuts you get monkeys, simple as that.
    Ronaldinho will probably "settle" for £100k a week, Milner will want £40k surely.
    Is Ronaldinho worth 2.5 times James Milner? I certainly think so.

Who was Ashley Young when we bought him? A rising star at Watford. We don't need big name primadonna ****e. We need top players who will play for the shirt and won't think they're bigger than the club. Not ****e like Knight but not the Ronaldinhos of the world either. No thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭spiderdan

I would certainly take Milner and 2/3 other players then one superstar like Ronnie who clearly has little ambition left and seems to be interested in where he can earn the most money- £200,000 is madness and for a club like City to be offering that equals desperation, but their chairman seems to have other ideas, spend big= top 4, just ask Martin Jol how that worked out!

It is maddness ill grant you that but at least it sends out a message of ambition which
    will make players like Richards and Dunne think twice about leaving.
    The signing Milner would hardly say the same story to the villa squad would it?
    A **** Hamburg team took a chance and signed Van Der Vaart when people said he was
    a troublemaker and a playboy, the next year he almost singlehandly got them to a CL spot.
    I personally would have the same confidence in MON to take someone like Henry or even
    a Bellamy and motivate them enough to recapture their peak form for the likes of Villa.
    Thing is quality players are not cheap and rough diamonds like Ashley Young dont come
    around very often so you have to spend to get places.

Signing someone like Dos Santos for £10m would not have broken the bank but
    in 12 months time with the right club and an attitude change he could have been the next
    Ashley Young. Instead he went to Spurs where he will probably play 15 games and
    contribute very little to their attempt at finishing 4th.

It is maddness ill grant you that but at least it sends out a message of ambition which
    will make players like Richards and Dunne think twice about leaving.
    The signing Milner would hardly say the same story to the villa squad would it?
    A **** Hamburg team took a chance and signed Van Der Vaart when people said he was
    a troublemaker and a playboy, the next year he almost singlehandly got them to a CL spot.
    I personally would have the same confidence in MON to take someone like Henry or even
    a Bellamy and motivate them enough to recapture their peak form for the likes of Villa.
    Thing is quality players are not cheap and rough diamonds like Ashley Young dont come
    around very often so you have to spend to get places.

Signing someone like Dos Santos for £10m would not have broken the bank but
    in 12 months time with the right club and an attitude change he could have been the next
    Ashley Young. Instead he went to Spurs where he will probably play 15 games and
    contribute very little to their attempt at finishing 4th.

We have better players than Bellamy and Dos Santos to be fair. All they'd bring is the big name factor which got City and Tottenham nowhere last season. Villa had actual good players who played for the shirt and finished numerous places ahead of both those sides. Incidentally, the side who finished ahead of us were a side who adopt a similar policy to us, except Moyes, so far has simply been better at bringing more players of that quality to Everton than O'Neill has to Villa. Hopefully with time that can change, and once we reach that level, then we can start to make the push for consistent Champions League football with top-notch signings with good attitudes.

DSB wrote: »
    We have better players than Bellamy and Dos Santos to be fair. All they'd bring is the big name factor which got City and Tottenham nowhere last season. Villa had actual good players who played for the shirt and finished numerous places ahead of both those sides. Incidentally, the side who finished ahead of us were a side who adopt a similar policy to us, except Moyes, so far has simply been better at bringing more players of that quality to Everton than O'Neill has to Villa. Hopefully with time that can change, and once we reach that level, then we can start to make the push for consistent Champions League football with top-notch signings with good attitudes.

To be fair Moyes has had a head start in terms of time and probably started
    with a stronger squad too than MON.
    Bellamy and Dos Santos were just examples, but what im saying is that Villa
    cant continue to buy the likes of Reo Coker, routhledge and Harewood
    and expect to compete with Man City who will have £50m and a seemingly
    ceilingless wages cap.
    MON by himself will not get Villa to 4th, he needs heavy investment in his
    squad and not 4 or 5 good solid premiership players.
    In my opinion he needs at least 10 players with at least half of them being
    good first team choices.
    With Liverpool, Spurs, Everton and even portsmouth all spending big again
    this summer it will be next to impossible for Villa to continue to overachieve
    like they did this year.
    4th will not happen without a squad overhaul, imagine what the likes of
    berbatov or RVN would do if they had the likes of Ashley Young putting in the
    crosses for them?

• Advertisement

To be fair Moyes has had a head start in terms of time and probably started
    with a stronger squad too than MON.
    Bellamy and Dos Santos were just examples, but what im saying is that Villa
    cant continue to buy the likes of Reo Coker, routhledge and Harewood
    and expect to compete with Man City who will have £50m and a seemingly
    ceilingless wages cap.
    MON by himself will not get Villa to 4th, he needs heavy investment in his
    squad and not 4 or 5 good solid premiership players.
    In my opinion he needs at least 10 players with at least half of them being
    good first team choices.
    With Liverpool, Spurs, Everton and even portsmouth all spending big again
    this summer it will be next to impossible for Villa to continue to overachieve
    like they did this year.
    4th will not happen without a squad overhaul, imagine what the likes of
    berbatov or RVN would do if they had the likes of Ashley Young putting in the
    crosses for them?

But sure no1s debating Villa don't need new players, and plenty of them. Thats been the general consensus in this thread for a long time now. But throwing 200,000 at players isn't really the way to go about it either. 6 players with a realistic chance of getting into the first team is not what we need(assuming no1 leaves), aswell as letting more of the youths have a go. This should do grand to keep Tottenham, Man City and their celebrity signings from bridging the gap, and Everton are there to be caught. Once we've consolidated 5th spot, then we're in a great position to push on.

DSB wrote: »
    But sure no1s debating Villa don't need new players, and plenty of them. Thats been the general consensus in this thread for a long time now. But throwing 200,000 at players isn't really the way to go about it either. 6 players with a realistic chance of getting into the first team is not what we need(assuming no1 leaves), aswell as letting more of the youths have a go. This should do grand to keep Tottenham, Man City and their celebrity signings from bridging the gap, and Everton are there to be caught. Once we've consolidated 5th spot, then we're in a great position to push on.

Do you honestly think 5 or 6 players for 5 or 6m will be enough for Villa
    to overtake City, Everton and Spurs who will all spend at least as much and
    to be fair have much stronger squads to begin with (maybe the exception of city).

Do you honestly think 5 or 6 players for 5 or 6m will be enough for Villa
    to overtake City, Everton and Spurs who will all spend at least as much and
    to be fair have much stronger squads to begin with (maybe the exception of city).

We don't need to overtake City or Spurs. We finished ahead of them this season convincingly. Us and Everton went to the last day so I think 5 or 6 players for 5 or 6 million will be enough, considering I don't expect Everton to spend much at all this summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

IrishMike, Liverpool were linked with Milner for £10 million so don't knock him too quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

Last season i was envious about the amounts of money West Ham, Spurs and Man City were spending, however look where they finished up, none of them were our nearest rivals, 2 of them sacked their manager, the 3rd was nearly sacked.

West Ham and Man City tried a radical overhaul, it backfired. They seemed to be signing players just for the sake of it, partly just to please the fans.

Clubs will be guilty of it again this summer, thankfully Villa wont be one of those clubs. It is very frustrating to sit back and watch rivals spending £16m on players and being heavily linked with Ronaldinho and some £20m rated brazilian. This sounds good for the clubs mentioned, but is it really whats needed? Spurs remind me of Barcelona where the fans/owners almost prefer an attractive style of football ahead of just getting the required result. Did they really need to spend £16m on a creative midfielder(modric) or a £16m striker last season(bent) when their crying out for a defense and LM. It appears the owners are making the signings. Everton and Moyes are the opposite of this, im sure some Everton fans wish Moyes would sign a superstar to grab all the headlines but without Moyes, Everton would be mid table i feel. The players play for the manager here because the manager brought these players in. Thats enough about other clubs:rolleyes:

Its clear MON will not just slash the cash to please the fans unless a player will fit into his definite plans. Thats fair enough, wouldnt it be worse if we had some clown who came in, wasted all Lerner's cash on luxury players we dont need. The Leeds Utd situation springs to mind.

Im really interested to know who he has lined up when Barry goes, i know we're linked with Sidwell but surely not as a direct replacement. I dont think Sidwell would contribute 9 goals and 10 assists.

MON said today we cant really expect to break into the top 4 anytime soon, i dont actually think he truely believes this, i feel he's aware it can be done within the next 3 years, but he just doesnt want to heap pressure on himself and build up fans expectations which is understandable.

Those are my thoughts, no doubt ill be on here within a few days asking where the fcuk are the signings:p

Yesterday various papers ran the story that Villa were resigned to letting Gareth Barry go to Liverpool and would accept a £14/15million bid for him. However...
    'I have read the reports. They are NOT true! No deal has been struck AT ALL and certainly not for a ridiculously low price as quoted. We will probably continue to see specious articles...just know that when I know, you all will know. I cannot promise more than that. I will say that the article is not true.'

and if for some strange reason you are more interested in what Collymore thinks (he always has something to say) about the subject and what Villa fans reaction to barry will be if he leaves.
    Collymore wrote:
    'it still wouldn’t surprise me if Martin O’Neill managed to persuade him to stay. There isn’t one other manager in the Premier League who could do that but Martin could. I don’t think it is about money with Gareth. I genuinely don’t. He knows he is highly paid as it is. I think if someone could wave a magic wand and say this time next year that Villa would be in the Champions League, then I think that would be enough of an incentive for him to stay.'

'Villa have never had any problems with Gareth. He has been a great captain and a great player and as long as the club get the right money for him then I don’t think there will be many Villa fans who will begrudge Gareth going if he decides to join Rafa Benitez at Anfield.'

most interesting thing for me is the "Ridiculously low price" Krulak talks about

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Villa are in a dreamland if they think 14m-15m is a ridiculously low price.

ive actually come around to thinking that Gareth would leave for something just above the 15m mark but maybe/hopefully Villa are trying to lay down a marker here and are actually sticking to the we have no intention to sell unless we recieve silly money line that clubs often use. We already have enough money that MON takes his time in spending any more and the guy wouldent know what to do at all. Krulak saying that is reassuring although who knows tbh

MON just referd to Mellberg as a Villa player on the Beeb. he will always be a Villa player in my mind, hope Sweden do well for him & Larsson in particular.

how much would it cost Barry to buy out his contract? I'm not saying he'll do this, just curious.

If Villa block the moves he wants by putting a ridiculous price tag on him i dont think anyone could blame him for considering it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Mr Alan wrote: »
    how much would it cost Barry to buy out his contract? I'm not saying he'll do this, just curious.

If Villa block the moves he wants by putting a ridiculous price tag on him i dont think anyone could blame him for considering it.

Dude, you're making it very VERY difficult to keep ignoring you coming out with this patronizing b.s.

• Advertisement

there is an ignore feature you can use that will make my posts not show up when your signed in, use it or shut up moaning.

wat i said wasnt patronizing at all, it was a serious question. If "the general" is saying 15 million is a ridiculously low valuation, we wont be paying over it i wouldnt imagine, so if Barry wants his move he may need to explore other avenues by which he can make it happen.

Haha, keep taking the pink ones you deluded little child.

So if Liverpool make a move for a player, and are too scabby/arrogant/mismanaged to table his club's valuation, that player is supposed to forfeit every ounce of his pride and professional integrity, piss, moan and buy out his contract? Thus is the incomprable allure of the bastion that is Liverpool?

If a bid is not accepted, Barry stays. Hate to bring you crashing back to reality.

See my post where i said, "I'm not saying he'll do this, i'm just curious"

scabby/arrogant/mismanaged? or maybe just not too stupid to pay a ridiculously over priced fee?

How much do you think Barry should be valued at?

If Villa block the moves he wants by putting a ridiculous price tag on him i dont think anyone could blame him for considering [buying out his contract].

I'll focus on that point - that's not curiosity, you've clearly made an assumption as to what Barry should do.

It's not my job to evaluate players, in my eyes Barry is priceless.

again i didnt say that was wat he was going to do, just that you couldnt blame him if he did.

O'Neill has said Villa probably wont break into the top 4 over the next few years, Barry wants to play CL football, putting a ridiculous price tag meaning he cant move on for another couple of years after ten years service to the club would be pretty ****

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,098 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Neil3030 wrote: »
    I'll focus on that point - that's not curiosity, you've clearly made an assumption as to what Barry should do.

It's not my job to evaluate players, in my eyes Barry is priceless.

Did you quote the wrong thing or somethign? the statement you quoted says nothing whatsoever about what Barry should or shouldn't do, it merely states that Barry would probably not get any ill will from Villa fans if a move he wanted was scuppered by his own club and he choose to buy out his contract, considering what he's contributed to the club over the past 10 years...seems a reasonable enough statement..and lets be honest here, around 15million isn't an insignificant offer, its clearly a fair enough one, would be poor form imo out of Villa to start demanding 20+ or something for him, If the player wanted to move.

Ah good, he's gotten his friend to join in.... sigh....

I don't know if you guys plug your ears every time someone says this, but JUST BECAUSE LIVERPOOL WANT A PLAYER DOESN'T MAKE IT A DONE DEAL. They must pay the valuation of the player, as set by his club.

To suggest that the player should then buy out his contract is arrogant and delusional.

I know you didn't predict that he would, but you are rationalising the hypothetical scenario that he does.

is arrogant and delusional.

but yet suggesting ANY club can keep a player who no longer wants to play for them is not arrogant or delusional at all :rolleyes:

in modern football its all about player power i'm afraid.

Ah good, he's gotten his friend to join in.... sigh....

I don't know if you guys plug your ears every time someone says this, but JUST BECAUSE LIVERPOOL WANT A PLAYER DOESN'T MAKE IT A DONE DEAL. They must pay the valuation of the player, as set by his club.

To suggest that the player should then buy out his contract is arrogant and delusional.

I know you didn't predict that he would, but you are rationalising the hypothetical scenario that he does.

lol, i just read something that didn't actually make any sense so responded (not from a disagreement of argument POV, but from a quoting something and then talking about something completely unrelated POV)...on a message board...

you still seem to be having trouble grasping what is said. Nobody has mentioned that is what he SHOULD do. You keep saying it, despite 3 messages saying the opposite.
    the statement you quoted says nothing whatsoever about what Barry should or shouldn't do
    again i didnt say that was wat he was going to do, just that you couldnt blame him if he did.
    See my post where i said, "I'm not saying he'll do this, i'm just curious"

yet you persist...just quote something that says that Barry SHOULD buy out his contract or stop. All anyone has said is, Villa fans probably wouldn't blame him, considering his service, IF he wanted a move, but had it blocked despite it being reasonable, and then choose to buy himself out.

Since when does rationalising a potential response to a situation under a particular set of very precise circumstances mean that this is what the guy SHOULD do? Its not, its simply an explanation as to why he may do it, and might not get the reaction of disgust from the fans that many others would.

• Advertisement

2 years wages at £35,000 afaik a week = £3.6m

although its a pointless Conversation Barry would not buy out his contract hense the original
    I'm not saying he'll do this, just curious.

2 years wages at £35,000 afaik a week = £3.6m

although its a pointless Conversation Barry would not buy out his contract hense the original

Would have thought he'd be on more then that. Would have thought twice as much. Did he sign a new deal when Lerner/O neil arrived?

I agree though, dont think he'd do it. All the same, If he does want to move on, i dont think he'll settle back into being happy at Villa watching the top 4's exploits in europe for too long.

my 2000th post:)
    ~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Would have thought he'd be on more then that. Would have thought twice as much. Did he sign a new deal when Lerner/O neil arrived?

I agree though, dont think he'd do it. All the same, If he does want to move on, i dont think he'll settle back into being happy at Villa watching the top 4's exploits in europe for too long.

Dont think anyone at Villa is on over £40,000 a week because of the wage structure in place however Barry has been offered a new deal which would break that wage structure should he decide he has a fture at Villa Park.

Dont know if it will be seen as Villa blocking him from moving in Barry's POV either as I would think Barry knows what Villa's valuation of him is. Also he did say on one of the very few times he has spoken at all, until a bid is accepted he is a Villa player and wont even be thinking about any move (Last bit obviously isnt 100% true). So in his mind Liverpool have to meet Villas valuation (even if some would think of it as rediculous) before he goes anywhere, Alternativley he will still want CL football but will have to try and focus on breaking the top four in order to get it.

To try and slightly stop talking about Barry/Liverpool until the enevitable new paper story tommorow... here is who (That has been linked so far) I wouldent be surprised joining Villa this Summer.

GK: Jussi Jääskeläinen
    GK: Guzan

Jussi is a quality proven premiership no.1 who could go straight into and improve the squad while Guzan would be given time to develop/adapt to the english game. Maybe Guzan who it seems wouldent mind being a no.2 atleast to start with (the plan was to sign him in January when we still wanted Carson) could go on loan somewher with Taylor as sub goalie instead. I would expect Taylor then to move on in search of first team football maybe in the championship next Summer.

RB: R.Stearman

Higly rated England U-21 RB to be signed from MON's old club and recently relegated Leicster while MON's long term no.1 target (whoever that is Miguel/Hoyte/Nelson/etc) continues to elude him. Backup RB will continue to be converted England U-21 RB Craig Gardner.

LB Cover: Joe Mattock

Just 18 Mattock is also an England U-21 international and could also be signed relativley cheaply from Leicster. at his age he wouldent be demanding first team football and would provide decent cover for Freddie Bouma

CM: Steve Sidwell

It seems (although again this is only based of media stories) that this deal is alost done for around £5m+ and they are only waiting on Chelsea to appoint a new manager and tbh no atter who they appoint I cant imagine Sidwell being part of their plans when you consider the competition he has (Ballack, Essien, Lampard, Makelele, Mikel and more)

RM: Milner/SWP

Would prefer SWP but unlike Sidwell who I think is waiting on a new manager so he can leave id say Shaun will want to stick around and try to impress his new manager, before maybe leaving in one of January's biggest moves. Milner thughhad a previous succesful spell at VP and was within hours of a permenant move a year and a half ago. Hes still 22 and has been one of Newcastles best/most creative outlets in the past 2 seasons IMO, his versatility is also a major plus (he could swap wings with Youngg at times)

1/2 more

I could also see maybe either a CB or a CF signed however from who has been linked im not sure it might be or if MON is atm anyway even without them ive outlined 6 players abve

Most Praobable Villa starting 11* unless the possible CB/CF are first team options and tbh if a CF was sign it should be as we already have the breakthrough/youth option in Delfounso, and the backup/super sub that is Marlon "The Hare" Harewood on the bench.

....................Jääskeläinen................

Stearman....Davies.....Laursen....Bouma

Milner.......NRC.........Sidwell.......Young

.............Gabby.........Carew.............

*if Barry isnt there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

even if some would think of it as rediculous
    It's not so much as a valuation being perceived to be ridiculous - it's just looking at it different ways. To Villa fans it is presumably hard to put a valuation on him as he's been there so long, is club captain, is at the very heart of the team, is presumably a symbol/icon of the club, etc..

To Liverpool fans though he means none of those things though so our perceived valuation will always be less than that of Villa fans as we've no emotional attachment to him.

Fortunately our evaluations mean sfa and it's up to the clubs to put values on the players. No one is assuming that because Liverpool have made an offer that Villa will have to accept it straight off - that's where negotiations come into it and if the clubs can't find common ground in their valuations then obviously no deal will be done.

My opinion (and it is just that - my opinion although I suspect my reasoning would be shared by other reds) is that we'll be looking to do business around the 14m mark. That's not me trying to undervalue him or meant as an insult to him or Villa fans or anyone else - it's based on CM being quite a strong position for us already so I just can't see us being prepared to shell out too much to bolster it given that we've other areas of the pitch that need the funds more urgently. If Villa are holding out for a lot more then I suspect we would have no choice but to walk away and look elsewhere.

But first things first as we've all got to wait for Barry to start playing his hand.

zing wrote: »

My opinion (and it is just that - my opinion although I suspect my reasoning would be shared by other reds) is that we'll be looking to do business around the 14m mark. That's not me trying to undervalue him or meant as an insult to him or Villa fans or anyone else - it's based on CM being quite a strong position for us already so I just can't see us being prepared to shell out too much to bolster it given that we've other areas of the pitch that need the funds more urgently. If Villa are holding out for a lot more then I suspect we would have no choice but to walk away and look elsewhere.

I understand that Is as you stated just your opinion and I do believe that many Liverpool fans would go along with that valuation. It is the same valuation that was quoted in a number of tabloids as being the point at which Villa's resolve would give way and they would deal with Liverpool (some other quoted 15m as that mark). However the discussion here about the valuation and the ridiculously low evaluation you quoted me mentioning focussed on a quote from Genreal Charles C Krulak, Villa Director and Randy Lerner's representative with regards to the fans.

here it is again (it was about said newspaper reports)
    'I have read the reports. They are NOT true! No deal has been struck AT ALL and certainly not for a ridiculously low price as quoted. We will probably continue to see specious articles...just know that when I know, you all will know. I cannot promise more than that. I will say that the article is not true.'

the price quoted in the reports (14m) has now been called "Ridiculously low" by a Villa director, which leads me to wonder what price tag have they put on Barrys head that at the moment atleast Liverpool are unwilling to match? Because as I stated despite the fact that this transfer saga has seemingly according to many picked up a stench of enevitablility, I would love if Barry was used as a point were Villa draw a line in the sand. No longer will we sell our best players to clubs we want to start challenging unless they offer "rediculous fees". But as with your previous post of course this is just my opinion also

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Dont think anyone at Villa is on over £40,000 a week because of the wage structure

barry and carew are both on £47k, which is out maximum wage from everything ive read in relation to that

• Advertisement

^^
    I stand corrected

It wold take almost £5m to buy out his contract then

you cant buy out your contract to join a team in the same country, so if he did it hed have to go abroad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,447 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Helix wrote: »
    you cant buy out your contract to join a team in the same country, so if he did it hed have to go abroad
    also have to state your desire to buy out your contract within 2 weeks of the last domestic league game of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

the price quoted in the reports (14m) has now been called "Ridiculously low" by a Villa director, which leads me to wonder what price tag have they put on Barrys head that at the moment atleast Liverpool are unwilling to match?
    In fairness since this story first broke newspapers have quoted as low as 10m and I think I've seen as high as 18m in print too. It's not at all clear from that quote which valuation(s) he considered to be ridiculously low but like you I'd love to know.
    Because as I stated despite the fact that this transfer saga has seemingly according to many picked up a stench of enevitablility, I would love if Barry was used as a point were Villa draw a line in the sand. No longer will we sell our best players to clubs we want to start challenging unless they offer "rediculous fees". But as with your previous post of course this is just my opinion also
    For Villa I would love to see that happening. Sit Barry down and say give us a few weeks to show you how ambitious we are and then go out and sign some big names/key targets. Villa have great potential right now - good stable management (on & off the pitch), wealthy owner, etc.. Not trying to sound all doom & gloom about it but I think there is a real danger of the likes of Spurs & City pulling away from Villa if they don't draw that line as you say and follow suit with investments in the team. You may have finished ahead of City & Spurs this year but I can see a gap opening up over the next couple of seasons if they keep investing at one level (and keep their managers) while Villa & Everton are investing at a lower level.

unless mon delivers in the transfer market this summer, in both comings AND goings, we will struggle to finish in the top 10 next season

• Advertisement

Helix wrote: »
    unless mon delivers in the transfer market this summer, in both comings AND goings, we will struggle to finish in the top 10 next season

Ah I wouldn't go that far like. We certainly won't be competing for Europe like but I couldn't see the likes of West Ham or Newcastle getting near us regardless. Barry or no Barry.

read a lot of the "generals" sticky on Villa Talk this evening, nice fella. great idea him doing that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Interesting the way Villa fans rate Spurs and Man City higher than our own club, despite one being perennial underachievers and the other having a total nutjob in charge. Everyone loves big name superstar signings, but they do not always adapt to life in the Premiership.

Ramos hasn't got a full season's experience yet, and Hughes has never held a position with the kind of expectation level he now faces.

Write off Martin O'Neill at your peril :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Interesting the way Villa fans rate Spurs and Man City higher than our own club, despite one being perennial underachievers and the other having a total nutjob in charge. Everyone loves big name superstar signings, but they do not always adapt to life in the Premiership.

Ramos hasn't got a full season's experience yet, and Hughes has never held a position with the kind of expectation level he now faces.

Write off Martin O'Neill at your peril :)

Mate I rate O'Neill as a manager, and expect your lot to be there or thereabouts for the Uefa places next season, but if you're gonna describe Spurs as perennial underachievers then I do hope you'll be applying that tag to your own club.

You're ahead of us on trophies won, but only if we're counting an era where footballers wore 3/4 length shorts and flat caps, and refs wore suit jackets...;) We've comfortably outperformed you [trophy-wise] since the 2nd World War

As for Ramos' experience, football is played outside the British Isles as well...:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Mate I rate O'Neill as a manager, and expect your lot to be there or thereabouts for the Uefa places next season, but if you're gonna describe Spurs as perennial underachievers then I do hope you'll be applying that tag to your own club.
    Indeed I do and I could care less about topsy turvy seasons anymore, I'd much prefer sustainability in the Top 6-8 as Everton have done. Spurs, for me, are much ado about nothing. Great going forward, will always score goals but concede some softies, a bit like ourselves in that regard.

My point was that there is nothing to suggest Spurs, Man City or anyone have really jumped up a level in the 4 weeks since the season ended, so any rash predictions about MON/Villa/the transfer market are completely premature. The balance of power hasn't shifted yet and unless something changes drastically, it'll be the same 4 chasing the CL spots and the same 6-7 teams fighting for the UEFA.

Indeed I do and I could care less about topsy turvy seasons anymore, I'd much prefer sustainability in the Top 6-8 as Everton have done.

Don't forget Everton finished 11th three season ago...:D
    The balance of power hasn't shifted yet and unless something changes drastically, it'll be the same 4 chasing the CL spots and the same 6-7 teams fighting for the UEFA.

Agreed.

You're ahead of us on trophies won, but only if we're counting an era where footballers wore 3/4 length shorts and flat caps, and refs wore suit jackets...;) We've comfortably outperformed you [trophy-wise] since the 2nd World War

Aston Villa 1982 European Cup Winners, you can take all the teapots you've won since WWII and we'll have that thank you very much ;).

I cited Man City & Spurs as examples Villa to follow in terms if spending, but they have followed Villas example, in Hughes & Ramos they have young ambitous managers. Villas saving grace maybe that those clubs have a high turnover of players as players are bought not just by the manager but by the ownership.

But Villa dont spend money like Spurs & Man City which means if the 3 clubs are gunning for the same player, but MON is such a stickler on price that Villa will be outspent everytime.

Bottom line, i think with Randy Lerner coming to live in the UK for next season that Villa might see a loosening of the purse strings, i rate MON as a manager, but i feel, perhaps due to his Leicester & Celtic days that he tries to do things on the cheap 'his way'. Its either that or there is no money there.

Case in point is Boswinga, who else watched him last night and said to themselves, why didnt Villa buy him last summer when MON had the chance?

Aston Villa 1982 European Cup Winners, you can take all the teapots you've won since WWII and we'll have that thank you very much ;).

I'm more than happy with our 1963 Cup-Winner's Cup [first British side to triumph in Europe] and two Uefa Cups [1972 and 1984]...:p

Bottom line, i think with Randy Lerner coming to live in the UK for next season that Villa might see a loosening of the purse strings, i rate MON as a manager, but i feel, perhaps due to his Leicester & Celtic days that he tries to do things on the cheap 'his way'. Its either that or there is no money there.

Perhaps MON prefers a small squad of players he can trust rather than a larger squad capable of withstanding injuries but harder to manage and keep players happy?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement