Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Villa Signings and General Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DubDani

Bayern is investing heavily this year to build up a new team (Luca Toni, Ribery, Janssen, Altintop, Jose Ernesto Sosa and most likely also Miroslav Klose). Bayern has never really been a selling club, and I don't believe they would sell Lahm to Villa. I also don't think Lahm would consider to go to Villa. If he will move some day, then it will be to a big club.

De Jong might be a possibility, but I doubt that Hamburg would sell him. They got a new dutch coach a few months ago, and he has made it clear that none of the three dutch players ( van der Vaart, de Jong & Mathijsen) will be leaving this summer. Since then de Jong is playing well again. He would probably cost around 5 mil. Euro, and currently earns about 55000 Euro a week.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

id love to see both of them sign but unfortunatley would not expect either of them to do so especially lahm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

PHB wrote:
    Lahm is too good to go to Villa.
    Ae you interested in discussing Aston Villa and their potential signings or do you just want to troll?

Anyway Villa been linked with Lahm is a good thing, however I think Finan is a more realistic target.

I would have liked Villa to have put a bid in for Parker, he is a quality player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

irish1 wrote:
    Ae you interested in discussing Aston Villa and their potential signings or do you just want to troll?

Anyway Villa been linked with Lahm is a good thing, however I think Finan is a more realistic target.

I would have liked Villa to have put a bid in for Parker, he is a quality player.

That was not a troll, all he said was that Villa couldn't get Lahm and he's right. Its perfectly on topic, Aston Villa and their potential signings. Potential level of that signing? very low

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

That was not a troll, all he said was that Villa couldn't get Lahm and he's right. Its perfectly on topic, Aston Villa and their potential signings. Potential level of that signing? very low

Are you not getting enough attention over at the over crowded Liverpool thread or something?

Everybody knows that Villa have a shed load of money to spend so what is the problem with being linked to top quality players? I wouldn't say that Lahm or De Jong are out of our league of potential signings, in football money talks, just look at Carlos Tevez going to West Ham last season. I bet you thought he was going to end up at Man U or Chelsea?

Think about it ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Please dont wink at me, makes me feel uneasy! :)

Didn't know it was restricted to posting on the thread of the team you follow only!?

Not doubting that Villa will have money, just think them signing Lahm is a bit overly optimistic, but i suppose its better to be that way!

In relation to Tevez, i think it was fairly common knowledge that he only went to West Ham for a season to put himself into a European shop window, Lahm obviously doesn't have to worry about that.

Teamtalk are reporting Villa's interest in Bellamy has been put on hold due to a price tag of £10 to £12 million, Bellamy is good imo but his temperment is a bit of a risk, I'm not sure if we need to spend 10 million on him. Reo-Coker agent has hinted at a move to Newcastle, I would have hoped Villa would have been in for Parker or Reo-Coker.

Please dont wink at me, makes me feel uneasy! :)

Are not comfortable in your own sexuality or something? :rolleyes:

Also where did I say that you cannot post here or anywhere that you want?

As for Tevez, he was in the shop window the whole summer in a little thing called the World Cup!
    Teamtalk are reporting Villa's interest in Bellamy has been put on hold due to a price tag of £10 to £12 million, Bellamy is good imo but his temperment is a bit of a risk, I'm not sure if we need to spend 10 million on him. Reo-Coker agent has hinted at a move to Newcastle, I would have hoped Villa would have been in for Parker or Reo-Coker.

That is good news at least. If Luca Toni is worth £7.5m then Bellamy is worth around £4m. I think Liverpool are being arrogant c**ts thinking they can double their money on a misfiring, troublemaking muppet like Bellamy. I think we would be better off focusing our energy on bring in Reo-Coker now that West Ham have signed Parker for £8.5m. We would have to move quick though because Newcastle are on the verge of snapping him up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 845 ✭✭✭V1llianous

Villa have made a £7m bid for Reo Coker according to the Beeb.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/a/aston_villa/6724387.stm

Villa also have a better chance than earlier for Schneider as Ajax want €15m but Valencia will only go as far as €12m - go on Randy :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

irish1 wrote:
    Teamtalk are reporting Villa's interest in Bellamy has been put on hold due to a price tag of £10 to £12 million

id have hoped it would have been put on hold coz hes muck

V1llianous wrote:
    Villa have made a £7m bid for Reo Coker according to the Beeb.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/a/aston_villa/6724387.stm

Villa also have a better chance than earlier for Schneider as Ajax want €15m but Valencia will only go as far as €12m - go on Randy :D

tbh ill be amazed if we even get to have talks with schneijder

nrc on the other hand id expect to be a villa player very soon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Although not confirmed yet, it does look like ReoCoker has his bags packed and personally I'd welcome him at Villa. Shrewd move by MON, whatever the fee, he's only 23, club and country captain and has a long career ahead of him. He's also pally with Ashley Young from the England U21's where he'd know Agbonlahor too.
    I like the sound of a young, pacey and strong side.

On the Bellamy issue there is obviously something in the story, but at £12m I'd imagine Benitez is taking some kind of mind altering substances because that figure is laughable. I do rate Bellamy, but in that price bracket there are far better options out there. Wouldnt be surprised if we made a move for Defoe or Bent, although the way the transfer market works, Spurs are after Bent which would pave the way for Defoe to leave. Like the situation with the Barton/Parker/ReoCoker merry go round, it gets very messy and complicated and there's more to it than just sending out a few bids.

Oh, and Villa play Inter in a friendly @ VP in August the week before the season starts. That might be worth the trip :D

Sky Sports News were last night reporting Villa were looking to talk to Celtic about Nakamura! It also seems West Ham want more than 7 million for Reo Coker

Dunno much about Nakumura he any use? I'm cursed with an inherent skepticism of anything SPL :o

I'd say we'd push the boat out to £8m for NRC, that'll cover West Ham's Parker purchase. Really cant see us going any further.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Can't see MON spending 12 million on Bellamy, there are much better strikers out there for that price. MON seems to be doing his usual stuff, expect VIlla to defo be challenging for UEFA cup spot next season.

• Advertisement

Savman wrote:
    Oh, and Villa play Inter in a friendly @ VP in August the week before the season starts. That might be worth the trip :D

gonna head over to that game meself
    irish1 wrote:
    Sky Sports News were last night reporting Villa were looking to talk to Celtic about Nakamura! It also seems West Ham want more than 7 million for Reo Coker

the nakamura thing was only a matter of time imo, would take any celtic player links with more than a pinch of salt tbh

id say west ham will take £8m for nrc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Savman wrote:
    Dunno much about Nakumura he any use? I'm cursed with an inherent skepticism of anything SPL :o
    Would look great in the best team in the world is the best way to describe him. :) On the same wavelength as the best players in the world. Anyway, O'Neill has rubbished it and it would take crazy money to get him.
    MARTIN O'NEILL today hit out at continued speculation linking him with Celtic players.

The Aston Villa boss is reported to be considering a move for Shunsuke Nakamura.

Since signing Stilian Petrov and Shaun Maloney, he has also been linked with Hoops keeper Artur Boruc and defender Bobo Balde.
    advertisement

But the ex-Parkhead boss said today: "I've been told I'm supposed to be interested in Shunsuke Nakamura.

"Let me tell you categorically, it is a load of complete tosh. I have not been near Celtic for the player and I won't be.

"It's just too easy for people in the media to connect me with raiding Celtic, and it really is becoming a bit much.

"Be assured, the latest stories about me and Nakamura are pure invention. I think people in the media simply guess about which type of player this manager or that manager wants and, in my case, make the connection with Celtic, and come up with fantasy. I'm really pretty fed up with it."

Chief executive Peter Lawwell has made it clear Celtic will reject any offers for leading players such as Naka.

Reo-Coker's agent:

"West Ham have just released the news and put that out and I've spoken to Nigel. I have no idea whether they will accept it, but I think it's a brilliant bid. But only West Ham can decide because they are the selling club. Nigel is over the moon to be linked with Martin O'Neill and a club of that calibre and size."

Looks like Spurs are now in pole position to sign Sneijder. Too bad really, he is just the sort of player that Villa badly need.
    Tottenham Hotspur have edged ahead of Aston Villa in the battle to sign Wesley Sneijder as they are willing to pay the £10m transfer fee being demanded by Ajax. The creative midfielder, who is 23 this weekend, is also keen to team up with Spurs' Dutch manager Martin Jol and would prefer a move to London rather than Birmingham. Talks are understood to have been held with his agent, Rodger Lindse. Ajax have already rejected a series of bids from Valencia for the Dutch international which peaked at £8m He was recently watched by the Villa manager Martin O'Neill at the Dutch Cup final but Jol is believed to have the advantage in chasing his signature.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

McCann is at Bolton for a medical, fee is apparently 1mill

• Advertisement

Sad to see him leave as he has been a great professional for the club just went about his business but I think we need better quality at the center of our team if we are to push for Europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

irish1 wrote:
    Sad to see him leave as he has been a great professional for the club just went about his business but I think we need better quality at the center of our team if we are to push for Europe.

Ditto with that, I think he would be one of a few players that if Villa were to be playing against his new team he would get a a rouseing reception.

Also unfortunate news absout Snejider, although TBH I cant blame him in wanting to choose London over Birmingham :D

shoutman wrote:
    Also unfortunate news absout Snejider, although TBH I cant blame him in wanting to choose London over Birmingham :D

i think this is one of Villa's major hold-backs when trying to sign class from abroad, brum aint exactley a desireable location to them.

McCann making way for Reo-Coker it seems

i think this is one of Villa's major hold-backs when trying to sign class from abroad, brum aint exactley a desireable location to them.

Why dont we just get the club moved to St Tropez, that would solve all problems :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Nice to see that we're selling off our older players to teams in Europe. Gives me a nice feeling for the future :).

Birmingham less than 2hrs from London, I doubt that is a deciding factor in this day and age. The attraction to Spurs over Villa would be Spurs better performance in recent years and immediate European footy whereas we've had a crap coupla years now we're re-building.

McCann was good servant indeed, but best for everyone he moves on.

heres a funny one i only just noticed

---
    Former Aston Villa star Sasa Curcic has won Serbia's Big Brother!
    The ex-midfielder, who Villa paid £4m for in 1996, has been crowned the winner of the Serbian version of Celebrity Big Brother.

He won 50,000 euros after being voted as the country's favourite star following 30 days in the house.

Curcic was one of 13 competitors to take part in the television show.
    ---

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Sundy

Did you just notice that or rip it off heroes and villains?

What a nutter though. He gave up playing football to spend his time bedding women, fair play to him if he can make a career out of it.

I've never even heard of that lad....

me neither :confused:
    Wasn't '96 Brian Little era?

• Advertisement

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sasa_Curcic

Theres his full bio. Never really did anything at villa except cause trouble.

Strange. I followed them seasons with great intent yet don't remember this guy at all. Ah, probably for the best :D

Ah I remember Sasa Curcic, he had a huge nose that looked ridiculous (he later got a nose job) and he only played a handful of games for Villa before we offloaded him to Palace. Oh the memories...I had the navy Reebok Villa away shirt back then with Draper on the back...even though looking back Mark Draper wasn't even that good :o

Raekwon wrote:
    I had the navy Reebok Villa away shirt back then with Draper on the back...even though looking back Mark Draper wasn't even that good :o
    Hey so was. You take that back :mad:

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Ah Curcic was a good enough player. Better than Riccy Scimeca anyday.

I remember Sasa he wasn't that bad, on and Draper was good!

irish1 wrote:
    I remember Sasa he wasn't that bad, on and Draper was good!
    i remember draper was excellent at leicester before he came to us, i dont think he ever achieved his full potential though.

Yeah Draper was excellent at both Notts County & Leicester and he was even rumoured to be attracting the attention of Alex Ferguson back then but as said in the last post he never really achieved his full potential at Villa Park. But in saying that I obviously really liked him back in 95/96 because I had his name on the back on my jersey ;)

Just looked it up now, Draper made 121 appearances for villa, i had forgotten he played so many games.

How about some other forgotten men:
    Gary Charles
    Julian Joachim

• Advertisement

You just cant forget Julian Joachim... he scored in the first ever match I saw villa play at Villa park.

As for Gary Charles he was a right back if I am not mistaken.

shoutman wrote:
    You just cant forget Julian Joachim... he scored in the first ever match I saw villa play at Villa park.

As for Gary Charles he was a right back if I am not mistaken.

not mistaken small, bald right back not great but very reliable.

Joacim was a speed merchant a la Vassel.

Joacim was a speed merchant a la Vassel.
    9th fastest man in the premiership at his time

That was Alan Wright not Gary Charles.

Does anyone remember Tommy Johnston? He moved with Gary Charles in a joint transfer from Derby County and scored a hat-trick for Villa in a 7-1 trashing of Wimbledon in the 94/95 season. He later moved to Celtic.

Gary Charles was pretty good, I saw an interview with him a few years ago seemed like a nice guy, I remember Tommy Johnston, red haired guy yea?

irish1 wrote:
    Gary Charles was pretty good, I saw an interview with him a few years ago seemed like a nice guy,

You obviously missed this news then last December :D

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/derbyshire/6190873.stm

Was disappointed we got rid of Johnson, no sooner was he at Celtic than he improved dramatically.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,503 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Raekwon wrote:
    That was Alan Wright not Gary Charles.

Does anyone remember Tommy Johnston? He moved with Gary Charles in a joint transfer from Derby County and scored a hat-trick for Villa in a 7-1 trashing of Wimbledon in the 94/95 season. He later moved to Celtic.
    Alan Wright was a left-back. And Tommy Johnston....ginger legend!!
    Anyone remember Steve Stone signing for us? Was a great player but then got plagued by injury

Sundy wrote:
    Did you just notice that or rip it off heroes and villains?

i did just notice it at the time, although yes it was online as i dont have Serbian tv (Vital Villa though not heroes and Villians), seems to have got people talking on this thread though which is a rariety when we dont have news to report.

cant believe i got alan wright and gary charles mixed up, ones white ones black afterall.:o

Up on Youtube is a copy of the DVD sent to all Season Ticket holders with their renewal instructions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tLpifaYVkc

Great to see Tayls is still such a fan, I was never as disappointed when a player left as when he did. Great guy to get in as a coach if he has done his badges, maybe he hasn't as he seems to do a lot of Sky work. Sure he used to go to the Holte Upper on crutches when he was injured to watch games. :D

fullstop wrote:
    Alan Wright was a left-back. And Tommy Johnston....ginger legend!!
    Anyone remember Steve Stone signing for us? Was a great player but then got plagued by injury

Alan Wright was a left-back but he was also very short (5'4), bald & not to be mixed up with Gary Charles (sorry Bounty Hunter ;)).

Yeah Steve Stone was signed at the time when John Gregory was trying to sign players to make an all English team :D He linked up very well with Paul Merson in midfield. How we could do with younger versions of them right now.

I think one of the worst players to ever put on the claret & blue shirt was Bosko Balaban. I cannot believe we shelled out nearly £6m for him and he only played in 8 games (0 goals). To rub salt into our wounds, he went on a free to Club Brugge and has bagged 40 odd goals in just over 80 appearances for them and couldn't hit a barn door for us :confused:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement