Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Villa Signings and General Rumours Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

who needs Ronaldinho whe youve got Sean Scannell

would be nice to have an Irish international playing at Villa Park again.

Just wondering, why nobody took this story up on here?

Like ''Oh great, could be good for Ireland''....or ''we really need to start looking at the present''

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

I'm more than happy with our 1963 Cup-Winner's Cup [first British side to triumph in Europe] and two Uefa Cups [1972 and 1984]...:p

Yes im sure you'd rather that to being Champions of Europe.:pac:

Just wondering, why nobody took this story up on here?

Like ''Oh great, could be good for Ireland''....or ''we really need to start looking at the present''

I like to follow the policy of waiting to see any potential signing, sitting next to MON at a VP press conference before discussing at length, as ultimately its just speculation until then.

Plus the fact he is 17 means is it likely he is going to play a lot next season?, but i always welcome potential Irish internationals to VP, so long as he is more Paul McGrath and less Steven Davis/Aaron Hughes.

Perhaps MON prefers a small squad of players he can trust rather than a larger squad capable of withstanding injuries but harder to manage and keep players happy?

Yep we know this, but i doubt the current Villa squad would be able to fill a first 11 and a 7subs on the bench. Villa need 4/5 signings before the squad can be considered average on numbers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

I definitely agree that MON is a law unto himself and will do it his way regardless what anyone makes of it. This mass hysteria took over last summer too because we didn't chase a £12m rated Bellamy, a £6m rated Barton or a £16m rated Darren Bent. Some people are more obsessed with the price tag than the player.

Yet when we go and sign Reo Coker for £8.5m and Ashley Young for £9.65m, people say we're paying over the odds! Well, which is it??

IMHO he spends where he feels its worthy and that's his call to make. It's a results based business and despite what the pessimists make out he got us into the Top 6 in 2 years. ;)

btw....5-1 against the scum! cut him some slack!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

I cited Man City & Spurs as examples Villa to follow in terms if spending, but they have followed Villas example, in Hughes & Ramos they have young ambitous managers. Villas saving grace maybe that those clubs have a high turnover of players as players are bought not just by the manager but by the ownership.

But Villa dont spend money like Spurs & Man City which means if the 3 clubs are gunning for the same player, but MON is such a stickler on price that Villa will be outspent everytime.

Bottom line, i think with Randy Lerner coming to live in the UK for next season that Villa might see a loosening of the purse strings, i rate MON as a manager, but i feel, perhaps due to his Leicester & Celtic days that he tries to do things on the cheap 'his way'. Its either that or there is no money there.

Case in point is Boswinga, who else watched him last night and said to themselves, why didnt Villa buy him last summer when MON had the chance?

O'Neill and Ramos are both in their 50's.

Also Randy is not moving to the UK. That has been denied.
    I think MON is doing things the right way.
    Gradually building up the side rather than loading it down too quickly with stars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭rgiller

JPA wrote: »
    O'Neill and Ramos are both in their 50's.

Also Randy is not moving to the UK. That has been denied.
    I think MON is doing things the right way.
    Gradually building up the side rather than loading it down too quickly with stars.

That's fine, as long as he does build it up. A lot of talk at the end of the season was about how well we're doing with such a small squad. None of the pundits could mention Villa without adding in "the smallest squad in the Premiership" or something along those lines. Poor old Jamie Redknapp thought he was the only guy in the world who could count for a while there. Sure we did well with our ~18 players, but I'd rather do better with a bigger squad and not have to use the "smallest squad" excuse at all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

rgiller wrote: »
    That's fine, as long as he does build it up. A lot of talk at the end of the season was about how well we're doing with such a small squad. None of the pundits could mention Villa without adding in "the smallest squad in the Premiership" or something along those lines. Poor old Jamie Redknapp thought he was the only guy in the world who could count for a while there. Sure we did well with our ~18 players, but I'd rather do better with a bigger squad and not have to use the "smallest squad" excuse at all

Please please dont ever use Jamie Redknapp to back up anything you have to say ;)
    Think it autofilters out your post for about 5000 people who read this forum.
    The man is a complete imbecile!
    :D:D:D:D

IrishMike wrote: »
    Please please dont ever use Jamie Redknapp to back up anything you have to say ;)
    Think it autofilters out your post for about 5000 people who read this forum.
    The man is a complete imbecile!
    :D:D:D:D

As implied quite subtley and wittily in my post ;)

Anyway, what's the latest on Sidwell, Guzan, etc? Haven't heard much transfer stuff in a while: maybe not a good sign???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

Bullard set for shock Cottage exit

Mon 09 Jun, 11:30 AM

Jimmy Bullard could be set for a shock move to West Ham or Aston Villa this summer after Roy Hodgson reportedly decided to invite bids for him.Bullard returned from injury in time to play a key role in Fulham's amazing escape from relegation last season and was expected to be the focal point of the Cottagers' midfield under Hodgson.

However the former Blackburn boss, who likes his sides to play a passing game, is unconvinced by Bullard's qualities and is prepared to let the fans' favourite leave for around £3million, according to The People.

West Ham and Aston Villa are already believed to have made enquiries about the 29-year-old, while a move back to the North-West with Bolton or former club Wigan could be on the cards.

Hodgson is looking to add more skill to his midfield, with West Brom's Zoltan Gera and Palermo's Marc Bresciano two of his top targets.

Jimmy Bullard for sheer entertainment value would be great, he's not champions league quality but he is a good buy for 3million to be used as a squad player.

Other news this morning is saying that Sidwell wants a 2mil golden handshake from Chelsea, his agent said that he is "happy to stay and fight for a place". Seems very unambitious, he is clearly just happy training for 50k a week,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Latest I read on Sidwell was Man City were looking to hijack the deal. I can't see anything happening until Chelsea get a new manager.

Sky sports reporting that the daily mail is saying that Jussi has snubbed a move to villa park as he is happy at bolton.

Villain wrote: »
    Latest I read on Sidwell was Man City were looking to hijack the deal. I can't see anything happening until Chelsea get a new manager.

So Sidwell has the choice of Man City, with the razmatazz of Hughes/Shinawatra/War Crimes and all that filthy Lucre, something Sidwell we know likes (the money not the war crimes), Or Villa, if Villa are going to insist on applying a wage cap i can see Sidwell going to Man City, Do Villa really want a player so obviously in it for the money? should they bother competing for this kind of player full stop?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Aston Villa have made an £8m offer for Sampdoria right wing-back Christian Maggio, the Italian club confirmed.

The 26-year-old, who scored nine goals last season, has also attracted interest from within Italy amid calls for him to be included at Euro 2008.

Sampdoria general manager Beppe Marotta told Genoa's Secolo newspaper: "We've had an enquiry, around £8m, which is not yet tempting us."

anyone know if hes any cop?

Helix wrote: »
    anyone know if hes any cop?

Serious scepticism on this one, is this not a Bill Howell exclusive? is Maggio not Milan bound?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

terrible source but

Jussi Jaaskelainen has verbally agreed a three-year deal to stay at Bolton rather than join Aston Villa. (The Sun)

I cant see MON spending more than 8m on Maggio tbh although any time ive seen him (which hasnt been enough tbf) he has been quality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Maggio gets forward, scores goals (I think he had the most last year for Seria A defenders), and has a great attitude and work ethic. Plus he's only 26, which, in the context of the lifespan of Italian full-backs, translates to about 19 - 20.

Would be a fantastic, however unlikely, signing. :(

I wish I could just get put in a chamber and frozen until the end of July...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Serious scepticism on this one, is this not a Bill Howell exclusive? is Maggio not Milan bound?

its on teletext at the moment

Samp general manager Beppe Marotta :"Sadly we are not Real Madrid who can afford to buy a champion each year, if anything we have to sell an important element each year," he told the city's Secolo newspaper.

"As yet, we have had an inquiry, around 10 million euros, which is not yet tempting us."
    The 26-year-old exploded onto the scene last season, scoring a magnificent nine goals in 29 games from right full back!

Maggio is also wanted by ambitious southerners Napoli, but it seems as if Milan have now won the race to capture him, even if there has yet to be any official confirmation.

However, Calciomercato claim that Aston Villa are preparing to swoop for the player by offering a mega-money deal.

The Birmingham based club are ready to offer €13m in order to try and prize the stopper away from Serie A.

Aston Villa’s offer would have to be considered carefully as it is double from what Milan and Napoli are willing to spend for the player.

It seems as if Villa are now in pole position to swoop for Maggio.

Villa swooping in to pip Milan to the post for a player, by offering twice what other teams have tabled?

I really can't see this being anything other than a large squidgey brown pile that came out of a bull...

• Advertisement

just found this too
    Newcastle, Aston Villa, Portsmouth & West Ham in 4-Way Battle for Barcelona Striker
    Barcelona’s summer clearout could see Icelandic striker Eidur Gudjohnsen return to the Premier League with a number of clubs reportedly interested in him. West Ham lead the chase for the former Chelsea man as he’s said to favour a move back to London and would link up with the Hammers compatriot Icelandic owners. However, Newcastle, Villa and Portsmouth are all in the hunt.

The 29-year-old has spent a frustrating 2 seasons in Spain and has found his route into the first team blocked by Barca’a array of stars. In the forward positions Gudjohnsen has to compete with the likes of Ronaldinho, Thierry Henry, Samuel Eto’o, Giovani, Lionel Messi and Bojan for a place. Whilst in midfield the likes of Andres Iniesta, Xavi and Deco have all blocked him playing for the Catalan giants.

The Icelandic star has made just 26 League starts in Spain and just 48 League appearances overall whilst scoring a mere 7 goals. In the whole of the 2007/08 season Gudjohnsen played a full 90 minutes on just 8 occasions and is deemed surplus to requirements by the new regime. However, with 20 international goals to his name in just 50 appearances the former Chelsea and Bolton man has still got a lot to offer the Premier League.

Helix wrote: »
    its on teletext at the moment

What is this 1996?:D, Maggio would be fantastic, but tis the silly season, even Euro 2008 isnt taking the edge off things.

Gudjohnsen would be a great signing for Villa, but surely West Ham will have dibs due to the icelandic connection:

The Icelandos really love themselves

Portsmouth or West Ham most likely to snap him up due to higher wage caps/proximity to London.

And now for something a bit more optimistic:

Jussi

--Maggio--Laursen--Davies--Bouma--

SWP---Reo-C---Huddlestone---Young

Carew--Aggy

Not a bad little outfit there imo...

Where's Gaz Baz in the above, (don't you dare say Liverpool) :)

Ah I'm pretty much resigned to him leaving, but will gladly stand corrected!

But I think Huddlestone has the potential to become a serious serious player (and he always becomes world class when I buy him in Champo!).

Plus it's the kind of smart spending MON would like:

Huddlestone: 7m
    SWP: 8m
    Maggio: 8m
    Jussi on a free

Total spend 23m
    - fee for Barry (15-20)

Net spend: 3 - 8 million.

So that leaves another 10-15m or so to get squad fillers, Bullard, Doyle, etc.

Just noticing we've been demoted to 3-star status :(

Dare I suggest the work of mean-spirited scousers?

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Just noticing we've been demoted to 3-star status :(

Dare I suggest the work of mean-spirited scousers?

strangley they are also 3stars

Mr Alan wrote: »
    read a lot of the "generals" sticky on Villa Talk this evening, nice fella. great idea him doing that.

really is. He has to deal with a lot of stick at times that he doesent deserve but id say any clubs fans would like to have such a direct link to the club. Im actually surprised he and his posts/quotes havent been picked up more by the media except for his infamous "pig in mud" comment about Birminghams chairman David Gold. for anyone who never saw it
    "Not sure what Mr Gold is after other than publicity. When you get down in the mud and wrestle with a pig, the pig loves it - and you get muddy."

But why do you have the word General in "quotation marks"...wanna see his war record?

Elsewhere Villa have confirmed that the new Jersey will be avalable to view and pre-order as of tommorow.

Elsewhere Villa have confirmed that the new Jersey will be avalable to view and pre-order as of tommorow.

This is the shizniz, after years of sporting decidedly dodgy tops with even more dodgy sponsors (LDV Vans, AST Computers (RIP), Muller, 32red etc .etc.) now Villa finally have a kit sponsor with Nike in Acorn that actually looks respectable, hooray!
    (down with Nike though for their sweat shops boo!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

According to the most dispicable paper in the world Barry has 'demanded' move to Liverpool. Don't know if I believe this, as 1. It's the Sun, and 2. It's Barry, and doesn't sound like something he'd do.

Linky

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

Sky Sports claiming it as well but their source is the same as the f365 story
    http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_3672094,00.html

I think both sets of fans would be happier if this was over already, sheesh. So now the agent chimes in, correct me if I'm wrong but is he adding anything new to the story? He's just confirmed Barry wants to go to Liverpool, shock horror :rolleyes:
    £15m and he can fook off AFAIC.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but:

In one way or another, wouldn't more money paid for Barry = more money received by his agent?

So by making Barry look desperate to move, forcing the deal through, arguably, at a smaller fee than what we'd receive if it were the case that they were prising away our most cherished asset, who was heartbroken to be leaving the club he loved to play in the big leagues…. it just doesn’t make sense to me…

But as someone pointed out, it IS the Sun reporting this… might be trying to win back some friends in the Pool.

I doubt the guy is "heartbroken" to be leaving Villa, he's just had his head turned and at least admitted in the open that he has to be selfish. That's fair game, but won't endear hardcores.

Am I the only one thinking we should take Liverpool's money and run? After this, his value decreases significantly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Its the SUN FFS, and I know they print ****, they did it about someone I know well and it was complete bull, until I hear Barry saying he wants to leave I won't believe it and its not that I don't think he does want to leave but I don't think he would force it by saying he wants to leave so the Sun and his Agent can make up what ever they like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Yeah I don't really believe its true but if it is he can **** off.

Villain wrote: »
    Its the SUN FFS, and I know they print ****, they did it about someone I know well and it was complete bull, until I hear Barry saying he wants to leave I won't believe it and its not that I don't think he does want to leave but I don't think he would force it by saying he wants to leave so the Sun and his Agent can make up what ever they like.

aaaahhhh: puncuation!

Not sure what to make of this latest offering from the Sun. It almost feels like the papers wanted a big story they could drag on for a few weeks over the summer and came up with Barry to Pool. It's like they're talking him into moving, and I guess the more he hears it, the more he's thinking about it.

At this stage he probably will move and it's right that the most money we can get will be got right now. Is he going to leave for free in two years anyway when his contract runs out? It wouldn't be so bad if you thought MON would buy in some quality CM to fill the void but where will he get one from?

As for money, I see Liverpool are linked with Downing for £12m. £12m!! Barry must be worth £17-20m if that's the case

Great article. Don't know if anyone read this at the time, but I'm sure it sums up a lot of peoples' opinions at the moment.
    So, Gareth, will you turn your back on man who made you a star?
    Oliver Holt - The Mirror - 23/04/2008

Barry has been one of the biggest success stories of the past couple of seasons.

His career was going nowhere very fast when Martin O'Neill took over at Villa Park.

But O'Neill gave him a settled spot in the side and made it clear how much he valued him by appointing him club captain.

Barry's place at the forefront of Villa's resurgence helped him force his way back into Steve McClaren's England squad after almost four years without a cap.

Advertisement
    Then he started being picked ahead of Frank Lampard in the first team and holding down a regular spot in midfield.

Some are even suggesting Barry is the outstanding candidate to become Fabio Capello's permanent skipper when the World Cup qualifying campaign starts in the summer.

Sounds like a happy story, doesn't it. Not the sort you'd want to mess up. Well, sorry, but here's the bad news.

Barry's story is about to become one of those sad test cases that makes you despair for football's soul and pity a player who agonises over the idea of ruining everything.

The word is Barry has had his head turned by a lucrative offer from Anfield, where he's been pencilled in as a replacement for Xabi Alonso and as a midfield holding partner for Javier Mascherano.

There's a wider issue here that goes beyond Barry's personal ambitions, an issue that concerns the longterm health of the Premier League. Because if any club is ever to break the monopoly of the big four, then an upwardly mobile, rejuvenated club like Villa has to hang on to a good player like Barry.

But the signs don't look good. For a start, Barry is represented by an agent called Alex Black who acrimoniously walked out on the PFA a few years back.

Black is the conceptual genius who has overseen the career of Alan Smith and made himself and his client very rich in the process. Whatever the opposite of stellar is, that's what Smith's progress has been in the past five years. Cellar, perhaps, would be more appropriate.

After appointing Black as his representative, Smith moved from Leeds United to Manchester United, a move that was seen as a betrayal at Elland Road and alienated the fans who had hero-worshipped him.

Smith was already on the fringes at Old Trafford when badly injured at Liverpool. Black moved him on to Newcastle where he has disappeared into goalless obscurity.

No doubt Black negotiated lucractive contracts for Smith, but it's hard to see how Smith benefitted as a player.

Little wonder then that Black's long - term involvement with Barry has started alarm bells ringing across the West Midlands, particularly after the events of the past few days.

Before the derby with Birmingham at the weekend, Barry told a press conference he had decided he was going to have to be "selfish" about his future. "Selfish", of course, is often used as the most acceptable Premier League euphemism for wanting a lot more money.

Villa owner Randy Lerner, a self-evidently decent and fair man, was said to be shocked and disappointed by the comments from his captain, who has two years of his contract to run.

Let's put aside the fact no one was jumping on the Barry for England bandwagon before O'Neill and Lerner took over. That's because there was no Barry for England bandwagon. That's because Barry was headed to some place like Charlton or Watford before O'Neill took over.

Let's examine Barry's current options instead, starting with Chelsea, said to be second in line behind Liverpool among his suitors.

Well, fine player though he is, does Barry really think he's going to play every game in Chelsea's midfield.

And if Lampard leaves in the summer, Chelsea will buy big to replace him. And that means bigger than just Barry.

He might start every other game. And if things don't go well, he'll become another Steve Sidwell, another rich man who's big in the Carling Cup.

Then there's Liverpool. Notwithstanding their progress in the Champions League, who in their right mind would pitch themselves into Anfield's chaos at the moment?

It particularly doesn't make sense for someone like Barry, who's leading a young, vibrant side bursting with talent and promise. Villa have a good chance of a fifthplace finish and UEFA Cup qualification.

And Barry's already in the England side. Capello's already an admirer. So if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Everyone says Barry's a great pro and a top bloke. I don't want to see him ruin that reputation. That's why, for his sake and the sake of English football, I hope he ignores the whispers in his ear and stays put.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

Thats an interesting read and good find Neil, hopefully GB has read it too;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Good article alright, i like Oliver Holt.

One problem with it is its a bit harsh on Barry, its hardly unique to him that he wants to go to a top club to play CL football, i never remember Holt criticising Rooney,Rio,Lampard,Cole etc for their moves, why start with Barry?

Top players want to play in the CL, this is not news to anyone. Is it wrong? should there be more loyalty in the game? probably.

Good article alright, i like Oliver Holt.

One problem with it is its a bit harsh on Barry, its hardly unique to him that he wants to go to a top club to play CL football, i never remember Holt criticising Rooney,Rio,Lampard,Cole etc for their moves, why start with Barry?

Top players want to play in the CL, this is not news to anyone. Is it wrong? should there be more loyalty in the game? probably.

I wouldn't call it harsh on Barry, it's more precautionary. Obviously there have been staggering success stories of big fishes in small ponds who moved to the big pond and established themselves (as you say, Rooney etc), and obviously the prospect of playing with great players like Torres and Gerrard, in the Champion's League, would turn anyone's head.

However it was MON's influence, guidance and committment to Barry that turned him into the player that he is today. This article questions the intentions and track-record of his agent more than anything, and also asks - will Barry receive the same nourishing work-conditions at Liverpool?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,098 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

The whole thing about Black and Smith seemed kind of irrelevent as well, as though it was black's fault that Smith is where he is. Its hardly his agents fault that Smith didn't make a success of his time at Man U. He got unlucky that Rooney was also brought in that summer meaning he could only ever be a bit part player really.

Just seems like they're trying to paint this picture that Barry would be perfectly happy at Villa if it wasn't for this meddling agent. Its more likely that Barry, after 10 years at Villa, see's that he's got probably 3 years left at his peak and would like to test himself out in the champions league, in a team where he'll be a crucial player, with 2 of the best midfielders in the world for their role's beside him, one of whom happens to be a good friend of his. If this was about chelsea, id agree totally with that article as he wouldn't be an integral part of the side. But he will be at Liverpool.

On the comment above about the nourishing work conditions, Mascherano, torres, Reina etc have all spoken many times about how impressed and happy they are with how Rafa works with them, creates dedicated personal plans for them to help them progress etc.

~Rebel~ wrote: »

Its more likely that Barry, after 10 years at Villa, see's that he's got probably 3 years left at his peak and would like to test himself out in the champions league, in a team where he'll be a crucial player, with 2 of the best midfielders in the world for their role's beside him, one of whom happens to be a good friend of his. If this was about chelsea, id agree totally with that article as he wouldn't be an integral part of the side. But he will be at Liverpool.

On the comment above about the nourishing work conditions, Mascherano, torres, Reina etc have all spoken many times about how impressed and happy they are with how Rafa works with them, creates dedicated personal plans for them to help them progress etc.

Oh clear off out of this thread with this nonsense, yeah im sure the conditions at Liverpool will be great for GB, but guess what? Villa finished 6th this season, MON should be preparing for an attempt at getting that 4th spot. This means keeping our best players and building upon Villas previous success and not selling to our direct competitors.

But instead a combination of a football club using unscrupulous means, a dodgy agent and an over rated Liverpool 'her0' whispering sweet nothings like Medea into GBs ear all mean that Villa are losing their captain and heartbeat in the most foul manner possible.

Gareth Barry owes his career to 2 men, John Gregory & Martin O Neill. JG got him into the England team, MON put him back in there and kept him there, loyalty is truly dead in this game if he turns his back on a club that made him for the cesspit that is Liverpool and its politics, narky owners and cultish self important fans(and CL football, until Liverpool/H&G go bankrupt).

Gareth Barry will be a legend if he stays at VP, Villa can get to the CL with him as our talisman, but his head is turned, i hope the inquest at Villa is more then just 'oh well he wanted to go', MON & Lerner better realise whatever sales spiel they use to attract/keep players, it isnt good enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

Here's one that'll interest you guys.
    http://www.villatalk.com/index.php?name=News&file=article&sid=3853
    If Villa feel there is a case there then I'd fully expect them to take it.

:) ha :)

• Advertisement

zing wrote: »
    Here's one that'll interest you guys.
    http://www.villatalk.com/index.php?name=News&file=article&sid=3853
    If Villa feel there is a case there then I'd fully expect them to take it.

Ultimately whats going to happen?

How do you measure punishing a club for tapping up a player?

Multi million pound Fines? points deductions?, if a case is taken then it will probably take a long time to come to fruition and will result in only a slap on the wrist for the offending party.

A better idea all around would be not to tap other clubs players up full stop, and wait for a club to offer permission to speak to a player. Thats the system supposedly in use at the moment, but is being made a mockery by clubs like Liverpool & Real Madrid who think they are more important then the game and its rules. the Barry saga is the epitome of all that is wrong with modern football. Take a bow Rafa Benitez.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,098 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Oh clear off out of this thread with this nonsense, yeah im sure the conditions at Liverpool will be great for GB, but guess what? Villa finished 6th this season, MON should be preparing for an attempt at getting that 4th spot. This means keeping our best players and building upon Villas previous success and not selling to our direct competitors.

But instead a combination of a football club using unscrupulous means, a dodgy agent and an over rated Liverpool 'her0' whispering sweet nothings like Medea into GBs ear all mean that Villa are losing their captain and heartbeat in the most foul manner possible.

Gareth Barry owes his career to 2 men, John Gregory & Martin O Neill. JG got him into the England team, MON put him back in there and kept him there, loyalty is truly dead in this game if he turns his back on a club that made him for the cesspit that is Liverpool and its politics, narky owners and cultish self important fans(and CL football, until Liverpool/H&G go bankrupt).

Gareth Barry will be a legend if he stays at VP, Villa can get to the CL with him as our talisman, but his head is turned, i hope the inquest at Villa is more then just 'oh well he wanted to go', MON & Lerner better realise whatever sales spiel they use to attract/keep players, it isnt good enough.

Jeez guy, relax. I really like Villa, they're a team i love to watch and have kept a close eye on since O' Neil joined. I dont think I said anythign particularly off the wall or offensive so theres no need to be telling me to get out of the thread.

I just think things are being looked at a bit askew, with talk like this;

I just think its a little overboard. I dont think its quite as evil as all that. He's not an innocent naive babe being kidnapped by the darkside with false promises and lies. He's a grown man who has to make a decision on what he wants to do with his peak years while the offers are coming in. If he stays, ill aplaud him but be disappointed. If he goes it doesn't make him or the process evil, it just means he wants to have a change and make a go of things at Liverpool.

And as for me talking about players testimony's of Rafa, I was answering a direct question on the subject -
    will Barry receive the same nourishing work-conditions at Liverpool?

I've no doubt he's got fantastic support and conditions at Villa, im just saying Liverpool also have a track record of helping out their players with individual plans and treatments. I just answered the question.

<edit>
    IMO the vast vast majority of this "saga" has been fuelled by the papers having little to report so instead keep printing the same stuff over and over and over again, making it a bigger deal then it really is. Gareth Barry isn't an idiot, I dont expect the paper talk to have much impact, i expect the direct dealings between Rafa and MON, as well as MON and Barry to have a far bigger sway.

A better idea all around would be not to tap other clubs players up full stop, and wait for a club to offer permission to speak to a player. Thats the system supposedly in use at the moment, but is being made a mockery by clubs like Liverpool & Real Madrid who think they are more important then the game and its rules. the Barry saga is the epitome of all that is wrong with modern football. Take a bow Rafa Benitez.

dont be so ****ing self righteous.

gimme one link showing Liverpool have been in contact with Gareth Barry.....or shut the **** up with the tapping up allegations.

we've made a couple of bids for him.

Gerrard has talked about his mate.

Rafa has answered a couple of questions about him in a press conference and stuck up for himself after your ****ing whiter than white manager lost his cool in a big way in the public domain and started bad mouthing Rafa and Liverpool. real classy MON.

No tapping up going on there.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Jeez guy, relax. I really like Villa, they're a team i love to watch and have kept a close eye on since O' Neil joined. I dont think I said anythign particularly off the wall or offensive so theres no need to be telling me to get out of the thread.

I just think things are being looked at a bit askew, with talk like this;

I just think its a little overboard. I dont think its quite as evil as all that, players He's not an innocent naive babe being kidnapped by the darkside with false promises and lies. He's a grown man who has to make a decision on what he wants to do with his peak years while the offers are coming in. If he stays, ill aplaud him but be disappointed. If he goes it doesn't make him or the process evil, it just means he wants to have a change and make a go of things at Liverpool.

And as for me talking about players testimony's of Rafa, I was answering a direct question on the subject -
    will Barry receive the same nourishing work-conditions at Liverpool?

I've no doubt he's got fantastic support and conditions at Villa, im just saying Liverpool also have a track record of helping out their players with individual plans and treatments. I just answered the question.

You might not have noticed (and i wouldnt blame you with Mr Alan seemingly camped out on this thread despite promises he'd go;)) but this is a Villa thread not a Liverpool one, Villa fans arent exactly happy their tapped up captain has his eyes elsewhere and they are especially not happy with the actions of Liverpool PLC.

So when you come onto this thread talking about how
    in a team where he'll be a crucial player, with 2 of the best midfielders in the world for their role's beside him, one of whom happens to be a good friend of his

You draw my ire anyway because your glossing over Liverpools disgraceful way in which they are conducting this transfer.

If you want to talk about how well Barry is going to settle in the Liverpool team, do it in the Liverpool thread.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    dont be so ****ing self righteous.

gimme one link showing Liverpool have been in contact with Gareth Barry.....or shut the **** up with the tapping up allegations.

we've made a couple of bids for him.

Gerrard has talked about his mate.

Rafa has answered a couple of questions about him in a press conference and stuck up for himself after your ****ing whiter than white manager lost his cool in a big way in the public domain and started bad mouthing Rafa and Liverpool. real classy MON.

No tapping up going on there.

Get off your high horse and open your eyes. the whole Barry saga stinks to high heaven, and mate, it isnt Villa the stink is emanating from, im sure Liverpool have done just enough to avoid any official sanction, but the manner in how they are getting their man is nefarious and speaks volumes the way football is going. If im wrong on the tapping up allegations then let GB and his agent sue me;)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement