Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Villa Signings and General Rumours Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

Pyjamarama wrote: »

As for the "poor man of the big 4" what was the point of that comment? Nothing but a lame dig at pool. Really childish to be honest...

Pot calling kettle black there a chara (as well as a gross misunderstanding of what i said:rolleyes:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,503 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Yep just forget the other finals we've been to and the Champions League semi finals. We might not have won them but it proves we are capable of winning thropies consistently something Villa are clearly not at this moment.
    So you get a trophy for getting to a final or semi-final now? :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

alright thats 1 down and atleast 3 to go (and thats just with regard to quality signings). weve got our new CM and possibilty Barry replacement in the form of Steve Sidwell, but a GK, RB & RM are still a priority.however if we were to sign some of those mentioned in these positions id be very happy (Nelson/Miguel, SWP/Bentley). Of course squad players are also needed such as the obvious need for a new CB (Mellberg replacement) and backup for the fullback positions aswell as maybe 1/2 signings for the future, like Scanell who has been also linked.

Sidwell did look like quality in his 06/07 season for Reading and hopefully dispite his lack of first team football has actually improved instead of disimproved while training with better players and facilities at Chelsea. he is only 25 too and can still improve future under O'Neil IMO. so to summarise... good signing as far as im concerned and considering the current market for a great price especially when you consider Villa might get 15m+ for Barry (who id admit is better than Sidwell easily at the moment).

Now lets hope that the rumours that Villa have mmade a bid for Bentley are true although personally id prefer SWP to follow sidwells lead and leave Chelsea's bench for Villa Park. Either way though id be veery happy and therefore hope the rumours are true about the bid.

Persona

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

It kind of saddens me that thngs have come to this between two groups of fans who I always thought got on quite well but I'm comforted by the fact that this kind of attitude is a minority, and I'm not having a go at Villa fans alone here, I've read some stupid posts by Pool fans on the subject but almost every post made by a Pool fan on this thread is getting set upon like a pack of rabid dogs...
    So you and your buddies come marching into a Villa thread bellittling the club and you expect us to just accept your wild opinions as gospel? Do you think we'd get away with that in the Liverpool thread? Don't think so. In fact, as I recall invincibleirish got set upon by your lot last week.

This whole fall out is basically a smaller scale of what is going on at boardroom level between Aston Villa and Liverpool. You think you have dome devine right to do and say as you wish and Villa, from top to bottom, are fighting our corner. FWIW I actually agree with the "poor man's Top 4" comment, you cannot do Top 4 on a Top 10 budget, if that was the case we'd all be in there.

Anyway, I don't give a damn about LFC, and you're dragging attention away from where it should be which is on the positive stuff.

Cheers, thanks, have a nice day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

Pot calling kettle black there a chara (as well as a gross misunderstanding of what i said:rolleyes:)

Well if you meant financially poor then fair enough, hands up I misinterpreted it. Also I meant no injustice to Villa as a club, I like them, have done every since they beat United in the League cup final back in the day. I was just responding to remarks which were generalising Liverpool fans in a light which I think is unwarranted.

• Advertisement

fullstop wrote: »
    So you get a trophy for getting to a final or semi-final now? :rolleyes:

Nope but consistently getting to them obviously gives you a better chance of winning them...

You might want to check out what trolling is and if you still think that I was trolling work away and report me.

Again a chara, you're digging your own hole here. You type about how little you care about Villa and make insinuations about our intelligence and that people are making stuff up. Care to give me examples where someone has made something up about Liverpool?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,716 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Savman wrote: »
    So you and your buddies come marching into a Villa thread bellittling the club and you expect us to just accept your wild opinions as gospel?.

It's a soccer forum mate, as long as they abide by the rules people can post anywhere.

alright thats 1 down and atleast 3 to go (and thats just with regard to quality signings). weve got our new CM and possibilty Barry replacement in the form of Steve Sidwell, but a GK, RB & RM are still a priority.however if we were to sign some of those mentioned in these positions id be very happy (Nelson/Miguel, SWP/Bentley). Of course squad players are also needed such as the obvious need for a new CB (Mellberg replacement) and backup for the fullback positions aswell as maybe 1/2 signings for the future, like Scanell who has been also linked.

Sidwell did look like quality in his 06/07 season for Reading and hopefully dispite his lack of first team football has actually improved instead of disimproved while training with better players and facilities at Chelsea. he is only 25 too and can still improve future under O'Neil IMO. so to summarise... good signing as far as im concerned and considering the current market for a great price especially when you consider Villa might get 15m+ for Barry (who id admit is better than Sidwell easily at the moment).

Now lets hope that the rumours that Villa have mmade a bid for Bentley are true although personally id prefer SWP to follow sidwells lead and leave Chelsea's bench for Villa Park. Either way though id be veery happy and therefore hope the rumours are true about the bid.

Persona

Why not both SWP & Bentley if they are available? i may be a dim Villa fan who makes stuff up but if they are both available it just increases our offensive options in the style of Man Utd. When Villa are 2-0 up against the pool after an hour at VP on the 30th, MON can take off Young/Agbonlahor for the big games ahead and bring on SWP/Bentley to finish them off;).

Boggles wrote: »
    It's a soccer forum mate, as long as they abide by the rules people can post anywhere.
    Pioneer for the bleedin obvious, good man yerself :)

• Advertisement

Again a chara, you're digging your own hole here. You type about how little you care about Villa and make insinuations about our intelligence and that people are making stuff up. Care to give me examples where someone has made something up about Liverpool?

Read the post I replied to! Talk of one posters opinion being typical of the problem with Liverpool. Come on that's a joke. Mr. Alan is not typical of all Liverpool fans (I like the guys posts though, think they have good comedic value with an odd insightful comment every once in a while).

And anyone who thinks Liverpool have a SLIGHTLY better chance of winning cups is plain wrong. Regardless of whether we can win the league this season (I'd wager it's about as likely as Torres going to Chelsea along with Hicks and Gillet in a swap deal for Roman) we've proven that we're a strong cup team in Europe and at home. Barry is more likely to win something with Pool than Villa. That's no knock on Villa or MON or Lerner, the work they've done to recover from the mess they took over is pretty savage. But they're building a base, liverpool already have the base. So can you blame me for coming in and defending my club? I'm not criticising Villa as a club at all in fact I'd give anything for their boardroom stability, just a minority of fans who I feel are taking things way to personally and being over aggresive in their responses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,716 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Pioneer for the bleedin obvious, good man yerself :)

Nope, just don't like the Ghetto mentality.

Almost everyone Liverpool fans included have said that Sidwell is a good signing for Villa despite the fact that he may not be quite as good as barry So lets leave the anomosity at the door people and all the Bollocks about Villa/Liverpool/Barry in the big thread made up just for that.

now lets hope the floodgates for villa signings have just opened.

Read the post I replied to! Talk of one posters opinion being typical of the problem with Liverpool. Come on that's a joke. Mr. Alan is not typical of all Liverpool fans (I like the guys posts though, think they have good comedic value with an odd insightful comment every once in a while)..

At least we can all agree then Mr. Alan talks ****.You have to understand since the Barry thing this thread has had the pleasure of his visitations and spewing of nonsense several times since he promised not to come here anymore!, and dont get me started on the Barry thread....so as you can realise we're all a bit frazzled with Pool fans, apoligies if its getting personal;).

And anyone who thinks Liverpool have a SLIGHTLY better chance of winning cups is plain wrong. Regardless of whether we can win the league this season (I'd wager it's about as likely as Torres going to Chelsea along with Hicks and Gillet in a swap deal for Roman) we've proven that we're a strong cup team in Europe and at home. Barry is more likely to win something with Pool than Villa. That's no knock on Villa or MON or Lerner, the work they've done to recover from the mess they took over is pretty savage. But they're building a base, liverpool already have the base. So can you blame me for coming in and defending my club? I'm not criticising Villa as a club at all in fact I'd give anything for their boardroom stability, just a minority of fans who I feel are taking things way to personally and being over aggresive in their responses.

You talk about 'defending' your club, what are you defending? harping on at us disinterested Villa fans about Liverpools past glories is all well and good but maybe you should realise that Villa fans have a problem with the way the Barry transfer has been pushed by Liverpool, thats where the animosity has come from.

I think its time for a Villa fans Vs Pool fans thread in the thunderdome or cuckoos nest.:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

How about Pool fans f*ck off, then we won't have to talk about your club, The sidwell signing has f*ck all to do with Liverpool.

Either that or we may start going into the Pool thread and trolling

Villain wrote: »
    How about Pool fans f*ck off, then we won't have to talk about your club, The sidwell signing has f*ck all to do with Liverpool.
    Hear hear!

To the thunderdome mobile!

And Sidwell to usurp GBs place in the England team by the end of 08/09.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Lads can we end this stupid Liverpool vs. Villa crap? Anybody who posts on it from here on will most likely recieve a banning.

This thead is for general signings and rumours.
    There is a thread about Barry's transfer where you about that there.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055311525

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭rgiller

Villain wrote: »

Either that or we may start going into the Pool thread and trolling

Be careful or you might upset their poor innocent sensibilities. They ARE all fairly high strung at the moment. You'd swear they were nervous about something. Maybe a growing team with the ability to knock them off their high horse?

Aside from that, I think in order for Villa to have a first 11 top 4 who can challenge, they need

New GK
    New RB
    New RW
    New striker

Then an ideal addition would be a creative central midfield, ala Modric.

I think the striker thing is key. Carew is good but not good enough imo. Crouch would be an excellent signing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Not sure about Crouch, I was a big fan of his when he was at Villa and I think under MON he could do what Heskey did for MON at Leicester, BUT is he really going to offer that much more tha Carew?

If MON wants to use a big Target man then crouch might be a good signing but I wouldn't go paying big money for him.

We need 2 right backs and a right Winger and as you said a creative Midfielder, don't think we have had one since Merson

I have to say, 2 years ago nobody was interested in this thread nor in Villa. We must be doing something right if we're getting invaded by glory hunters :p:p

Villa Park is where it's at y'all :D:D

/chill dudes, i jest.

PHB wrote: »
    Carew is good but not good enough imo. Crouch would be an excellent signing.
    Not mad on that idea personally, Carew is plenty good enough for where Villa are at now.

I have to say, 2 years ago nobody was interested in this thread nor in Villa. We must be doing something right if we're getting invaded by glory hunters :p:p

Villa Park is where it's at y'all :D:D

/chill dudes, i jest.

Back in the old days i couldnt get access due to not being able to get 2 forum members to 'approve' membership despite my pleas to Villa fans, I never thought Villa would ever get their own thread though, its more popular then the Arsenal thread, woot!

AS for Crouch, i think we were all nervous at the fact he could be part of 'that' Transfer, and with Phil Kay pricing him at £15m the thought of Crouch being all we get for 'him' was unnerving.

The media speculate that Pompey are willing to spend in the region of £10m for him, He wouldnt be a bad signing, but i think he expects 1st team football, so what happens with Carew?.

I think if MON is going to buy a striker why not the push the boat out and get a striker thats genuine top class, not one who thinks he is, id take Bent over Crouch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Carew is good but not good enough imo. Crouch would be an excellent signing.

i think carew will show this season that hes a far better asset than crouch

Helix wrote:
    think carew will show this season that hes a far better asset than crouch
    I think he proved this season gone (when fit) just what a great asset he can be an I dont want crouch back at VP. Carew is a really good player for Aston Villa the team, far more so than his partner Agbonlahor (although Gabby has huge potential and could be a real star). He was our tope scorer last year and has a real European pedigree and experience which he can pass one to younger Villans. "The Hulk" is also a big Holt end favourite and one of the few players who almost every game can be seen to acknowledge the fans contribution. He also has a good chant.

Hope Pompey buy Crouch, who i do rate and believe has improved since his spell with Villa despite my not wanting him back. he would do well there and get regular game time alongside the man I thought Villa should have bought Jermaine Defoe as part of the England B frontline down Fratton way.

Sidwell still hasnt been confirmed by Villa but this Danish (hense how its written-bad translation) Interview from Laursen is essentially confirmation.
    He has not had the great success of Chelsea, but he was good before with Reading, "says Martin Laursen Wednesday nyindkøbet two sporten.tv2.dk.

Is Steve Sidwell a bargain for Aston Villa?
    Yes, he will be just as good as in Reading
    No, he has not been destroyed by sitting on bænken in Chelsea
    It must be time to show

Martin Laursen has previously spoken out about the search for players of high quality to bring to the club for next season.

"He was the Chelsea player who was up against verdensstjerner to get on the team, so it is difficult in such a strong club. But he did is really good and scored some goals as a midfielder for Reading. So I think if he can find that level again, he will clearly be a good reinforcement for us, "says the Danish landsholdsspiller.

There has been speculated in the British media, on the purchase of Sidwell is a sign that Gareth Barry, who has been associated with Liverpool, leaving Villa. There has been speculated in the British media, on the purchase of Sidwell is a sign that Gareth Barry, who has been associated with Liverpool, leaving Villa.

"It is clear, if we lose Gareth Barry, so we have to have a good midtbanespiller, to play instead, and I think that as clearly, Sidwell is."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Tomthepost

Aside from that, I think in order for Villa to have a first 11 top 4 who can challenge, they need

New GK
    New RB
    New RW
    New striker

Then an ideal addition would be a creative central midfield, ala Modric.

I think the striker thing is key. Carew is good but not good enough imo. Crouch would be an excellent signing.

hahahahahahahah
    might as well get baros back and take voronin and kyut off you also

Tomthepost wrote: »
    hahahahahahahah
    might as well get baros back and take voronin and kyut off you also

Baros was linked to the baggies today, that gave me a chuckle. Kuyt is actually a very good player and PHB supports United not Liverpool.

Voronin is sh.ite though

• Advertisement

If Villa are going to bring anyone back why not Thomas Hitzlsberger,this may or may not be because i have his name on a Villa shirt but him and his left foot were always entertaining. Him & the now unfancied Mario Gomez would be perfect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

Sidwell is a very good signing (assuming it goes through!).

I don't know who I would rate higher, SWP or Bentley, but I'd prefer to get Bentley. I think SWP and Young are very similar players, so Bentley would offer something different. Also I think SWP's final delivery sometimes isn't the best. If we do end up loosing Barry we could do with Bentley crossing ability. I think Big John would flourish with Bentley getting good ball into him.

Anyway, focus needs to be on a RB and GK now.

Why not both SWP & Bentley if they are available? i may be a dim Villa fan who makes stuff up but if they are both available it just increases our offensive options in the style of Man Utd. When Villa are 2-0 up against the pool after an hour at VP on the 30th, MON can take off Young/Agbonlahor for the big games ahead and bring on SWP/Bentley to finish them off;).

MON out!!!

invincibleirish for manager!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Lads, it's grand, look!

I've worked out a way that we can play Young, SWP AND Bentley in the SAME TEAM. All MON needs to do is work a bit of magic and switch SWP to a left sided player!

Bouffon

--Boswinga
    Laurs
    Davies----Bouma--

---Bentley----Reo Coker----Sidwell----SWP----

Young

Carew

Neil3030 wrote: »

Bouffon
    Er....:confused:

never mind that, he has bosingwa in there too and chelsea only after signing him lol

• Advertisement

If Villa are going to bring anyone back why not Thomas Hitzlsberger,this may or may not be because i have his name on a Villa shirt but him and his left foot were always entertaining. Him & the now unfancied Mario Gomez would be perfect.

id have the hitz back in a flash

left pegger to boot, just slot him in as barrys replacement

bing bang bosh

I confess I MIGHT have been taking the p1$$ :pac:

Neil3030 wrote: »
    I confess I MIGHT have been taking the p1$$ :pac:
    Punishment for that is beheading :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭spiderdan

linked again with Bentley today- very interested in these developments- what are peoples opinions on this- I would have thought if any of the clubs chasing him- Villa, Liverpool, and City we would be 3rd choice

Liverpool- mightn't have the funds, but with the Alonso/ Risse sale more or less canceling out any Barry buy, I'd have thought the money they'll generate from selling Crouch would go on someone like Bentley!! Hope not

City- The obvious link with Mark Hughes- money not being much of a prob it seems

Villa- MON must really want him IMO, I reckon he's the no:1 target with SWP and Milner the others in that order.

You might put Spurs as a club who'd be looking at Bentley but it doesn't look like it- Arsenal- no chance the same with UTD! I'd take him and Sidwell over Barry any day! fingers crossed.

Interesting to see little developments with the GK, I wonder will Carson be part of the Barry deal, or will we get Guzman? TBH if we get Carson I don't think it'd be a disaster. We really need to focus on a quality RB, I'd say MON is keeping close tabs on them whilst in the BBC studios!!

Honest to christ what kind of quality control do they have in this paper:
    Bill Howell - Birmingham Mail

MARTIN O’Neill is keen on West Ham defender Anton Ferdinand and could follow up his interest with a firm bid for the 23-year-old, who has been made available by Alan Curbishley at the right price.

O’Neill is looking for quality reinforcements ahead of the InterToto campaign in a month’s time.

Ferdinand has been heavily linked with a £6million move to Tottenham in recent weeks but O’Neill could decide to steal in and firm up his liking for a player who has, perhaps, lost his way a little after five years of guaranteed first-team football.

O’Neill has Martin Laursen and Zat Knight as his only fit central defenders with Curtis Davies out until October and youngster Stephen O’Halloran recovering from a knee injury.

Ferdinand, aged 22 – younger brother of Manchester United’s Rio – could join former Hammers team-mates Nigel Reo-Coker and Marlon Harewood at Villa Park should O’Neill push through a deal.

West Ham have previously indicated they are willing to listen to offers for Ferdinand with manager Curbishley seemingly under pressure to cut the Upton Park wage bill this summer.

Meanwhile, promising Portuguese defender Joao Pereira has hinted he would be open to a move to Villa and his club, Sporting Braga, have put on a price of around £4million.

“We do not want to sell,” insisted Braga president Antonio Salvado

“Pereira is a key man in our plans and only a big deal would make it possible for him to leave. The price in the market is five million euros.”

The 24-year-old is regarded as one of the best right-sided defenders in Portugal and he remains high on O’Neill’s wish-list as well as £11million-rated Miguel, who is desperate to quit Valencia.

When pressed on reports linking him to a move abroad, Pereira told Portuguese reporters: “I am totally calm about my future. I am prepared for anything, but it is normal I would like to progress like any player.”

I know it's only a small thing, but when you consider the garbage they've reported in recent weeks, it really speaks volumes as to how little they care about the quality and validity of their journalism....

• Advertisement

I'm not defending the Mail, because they are so wide of the mark with so much stuff. But anytime I'm in Brum it's my Paper of choice simply because they always have Villa-related stories. Even if half of them are made up, better reading waffle about Villa than nothing at all, remember the mainstream media had pretty much ignored us in the years prior to MON's arrival.

Anyway, it looks like Villa are getting a bit more adventurous and aggressive in the market which is nice to see. We can't sign everyone, but it's nice to know we're there or thereabouts.

Anyway, it looks like Villa are getting a bit more adventurous and aggressive in the market which is nice to see. We can't sign everyone, but it's nice to know we're there or thereabouts.

You think so? I dont see us being strongly linked with anyone that interesting at all, to be honest. Apart from Bentley (which I still think is a long shot, as he's also linked with about 5 other clubs)...and every Portuguese right back there is.

You think so? I dont see us being strongly linked with anyone that interesting at all, to be honest. Apart from Bentley (which I still think is a long shot, as he's also linked with about 5 other clubs)...and every Portuguese right back there is.
    I think what I'm saying is that ever since the Barry situation arose, we've seen a slightly different MON. It's the first time he's ever went head to head publicly against a supposed super power in the English game and generally all the talk from the club has been fairly bullish.

I think (hope) we'll see more adventure this time round, especially if we get into the UEFA cup before the end of August, we'd officially be "in Europe" again.

especially if we get into the UEFA cup before the end of August, we'd officially be "in Europe" again.

Good point. I see this as being the reason we don't get Bentley for example. It still isn't a dead cert that we'll be playing in the Uefa cup next season, and unless he's is willing to wait and see if we can get in, we can wave him goodbye (probably to the higher wages of Spurs).

still hasnt been confirmed on the OS as far as i know but now Gardner has been talking on Sky Sports about Sidwells signing, Bentley and the possibility of Barry staying.
    Gardner welcomes Sidwell

Craig Gardner is delighted Aston Villa have agreed a deal to bring in Steve Sidwell from Chelsea.

Villa boss Martin O'Neill moved a step closer to signing for former Reading man on Wednesday after agreeing a £5.5million fee for his services.

Although Sidwell's dream move to Chelsea last summer failed to bring about the playing time or success he enjoyed with the Royals, Gardner knows the 25-year-old remains a class act.

Despite a relatively low-key 2007/08 campaign for Sidwell, Gardner is delighted Villa are on course to add him to their squad for next term.

"He's an excellent player. I can't wait if he comes," he told Sky Sports News.

"I can't wait to play alongside him. It would be a great signing. I can't wait to see him down here.

"He's got everything. He's got a good engine, he can tackle and pass. He's a box-to-box player and that's what Villa want.

"He's a top class player. Chelsea don't buy amateur players. What more can they (the fans) ask for?"

Villa have been linked with a host of names this summer, including Blackburn's David Bentley and Gardner believes the former Arsenal winger would also make a fine addition to O'Neill's squad.

"Bentley's an England international. If he comes it would be another great signing," he continued.

"O'Neill's bringing in top class players and that's what we need."

One player tipped for the Villa Park exit door is England international Gareth Barry, who has been strongly linked with Liverpool.

However, Gardner is hopeful the star will stay, as when asked if he will be at Villa Park next term the 21-year-old replied: "I think he will."

a midfield of

Young-Barry-Sidwell-Bentley.... with Reo-Coker, Petrov, Maloney and Gardner on the bench would be sweet (o and Salifou, Osbourne and Routledge). not that i really expect Barry at Villa next season

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

I think I'd prefer ReoCoker to Barry at this point. Just cause hes more dedicated to the team like. And he is a good player.

However, Gardner is hopeful the star will stay, as when asked if he will be at Villa Park next term the 21-year-old replied: "I think he will."

Of course he will, sure don't Liverpool play us in VP in week 3? ;)

Anton Ferdinand could be a great move, certainly a good style of defender that can play football which is hard to come by these days

i think id prefer knight to ferdinand tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Helix wrote: »
    i think id prefer knight to ferdinand tbh

I can't think of many top-flight players I'd prefer Knight to, to be honest, Still don't think Ferdinand is the man for us. I'd like to see us go for Bouhlarouz.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement