Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Villa Signings and General Rumours Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

prob gonna pick up the away jersey meself

the old 32red one with the collar is still serving me well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 845 ✭✭✭V1llianous

Nice kits - especially like the away one.

No sign of the keepers kits yet :{

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

is there a reason for Villa fans dislike of the v-neck, i.e. traditional to have a collar or something? i quite like it myself. definitely one of the better jerseys for next season imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

No signings at the launch then?

I might buy the home jersey, stitch a big McDonalds logo over Acorns, make a stand against these heartless charities muscling out poor defenseless multi-national corporations...

is there a reason for Villa fans dislike of the v-neck, i.e. traditional to have a collar or something? i quite like it myself. definitely one of the better jerseys for next season imo.

personally i just prefer a collar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Noice....away kit is slick!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

V1llianous wrote: »
    No sign of the keepers kits yet :{

Nike always use generic goalkeeper kits for all of their teams so you can just imagine a Villa badge and Acorns logo across the front of any of the jerseys below and that's what the Villa ones will be like.

72000.jpg

prd_maxzoom_mufc-45208.jpg

prd_maxzoom_barca-286791-010.jpg

Helix wrote: »
    personally i just prefer a collar

+ 1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭tomred1

THe away is like the training top from last year, same colour blue.

• Advertisement

Robinson
    -Finnan---Laursen---Davies---Bouma-
    -Bentley----NRC----Sidwell----Young-
    Carew---Agbonlahor

thoughts?

Aside from the underlined player the remaining positions are a dead cert to come in IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Tomthepost

Neil3030 wrote: »

Robinson
    Carew---Agbonlahor

thoughts?

Aside from the underlined player the remaining positions are a dead cert to come in IMO.

Looks okish but not amazing.
    To challenge top 4 we would need
    Different goalkeeper
    A new centre half
    A new left back
    A new striker

I'd love to see a new striker alright, but Carew, Aggy, Harewood and Delfouneso look to be our 4-man rotation next year.

I'd love to see a new striker alright, but Carew, Aggy, Harewood and Delfouneso look to be our 4-man rotation next year.

Will be interesting to see if Delfouneso comes through. Big season for Gabby needs to start scoring more goals or will end up on the wing where you rather optimistically are predicting Bentley will be.
    It will also be interesting to see what if any impact Routledge and Maloney make this season.
    Bouma is solid but not top 4 quality. Laursen and Davies Im just not sure? Finnan has two good seasons left. We will be laughing at Liverpool again as we were when they nearly handed us the league title by giving us Saunders, Staunton and Houghton.
    I pray for Ben Foster huge potential there or Robert Green.

I didn't predict Bentley coming, I specifically labelled him a possible signing. Spuds were supposedly offering a player exchange for him, while Blackburn are demanding cash (in the region of 17m). So if Juande doesn't cough up the bills I reckon we're more than in with a shout.

I can't see either Maloney or Routledge featuring next season to be honest. O.K., granted if Maloney stays he'll likely make the odd sub appearance, but watching Routledge play in the few reserve matches I've seen him in, he looks a long way off making any contribution in the Premiership.

If we get first option on Foster, which we won't, I'd welcome him greatly. Otherwise Green ahead of Robbo for sure. But we need to start thinking about a long-term solution, unless MON sees Guzan as being a seson's development away from a starter, hence the Foster loan.

I didn't predict Bentley coming, I specifically labelled him a possible signing. Spuds were supposedly offering a player exchange for him, while Blackburn are demanding cash (in the region of 17m). So if Juande doesn't cough up the bills I reckon we're more than in with a shout.

I can't see either Maloney or Routledge featuring next season to be honest. O.K., granted if Maloney stays he'll likely make the odd sub appearance, but watching Routledge play in the few reserve matches I've seen him in, he looks a long way off making any contribution in the Premiership.

If we get first option on Foster, which we won't, I'd welcome him greatly. Otherwise Green ahead of Robbo for sure. But we need to start thinking about a long-term solution, unless MON sees Guzan as being a seson's development away from a starter, hence the Foster loan.

I can see Fergie giving us Foster just to F-Up Rafa and the 10m he wants for Carson.:D
    Spuds, Love it. Lets call them that for the season:D
    If we get Bentley I think we should call a boards p-up for all Villa fans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Rafa doesnt want 10m for Carson anymore, hasnt done for quite some time.

Probably around 6. So just a little more than you are paying for Robinson.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Rafa doesnt want 10m for Carson anymore, hasnt done for quite some time.

Probably around 6. So just a little more than you are paying for Robinson.

Will Rafa except £4m for him considering Villa have already parted with £2m already for his services last season? (thats a nice £5m profit you could make on him ;)).

Tomthepost wrote: »
    I can see Fergie giving us Foster just to F-Up Rafa and the 10m he wants for Carson.:D
    Spuds, Love it. Lets call them that for the season:D
    If we get Bentley I think we should call a boards p-up for all Villa fans.

Ah in fairness I can't claim spuds as my own, it's quite a popular nickname for them. :pac:

If we sign Bentley I am going to send MON a pack of Superquinn sausages. (They're what I miss most when I'm away!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

If 17 million is what it takes to get Bentley in, then we should definitely go for it. I'd be expecting more than that if we were to sell Young like.

If 17 million is what it takes to get Bentley in, then we should definitely go for it. I'd be expecting more than that if we were to sell Young like.

Completely agree. Sends out a message too. Here come the Vill!

• Advertisement

Ah in fairness I can't claim spuds as my own, it's quite a popular nickname for them. :pac:

If we sign Bentley I am going to send MON a pack of Superquinn sausages. (They're what I miss most when I'm away!)

The Tesco Sausages are quite good as well. Sure I will send them on to Martin.
    Where did the Spuds thing start? I never heard of it before now to be honest.
    Can we call the other main rivals Neverfun T.W. (To Watch) or something like that from now on.

spuds has been around for years and years

spuds has been around for years and years

Ok wise one sorry like. But where and why did it start

i dont know, i wasnt there

Thomas Sorensen has revealed that Aston Villa manager Martin O'Neill made a blistering attack on his form after obtaining Scott Carson on loan to take his place.

The Danish keeper is still looking for a new club after falling from grace at Villa Park but feels it was all down to a misunderstanding on the back of an interview in his homeland.

O'Neill reacted badly to Sorensen's suggestion that he felt Carson was not needed, as he was playing well, with the Ulsterman claiming the former Sunderland shot-stopper was past his best and should take a long, hard look at himself in the mirror.

"I didn't understand that the club took Scott Carson on loan at a time when I was coming back from injury," Sorensen told spn.dk.

"I was contacted by the media in Denmark and I said that I didn't understand what happened.

"That statement was a little distorted when it travelled over the water [to England] and it appeared in a way that seemed like I was criticising the manager about his purchase - something which wasn't the case.

"He saw I had commented in a newspaper that I thought I had a good season last year. He said that he was not at all of the same opinion and that it was five or six years since I was, in any way, a good goalkeeper, and that I had to look at myself in the mirror.

"My jaw simply dropped to the table. They were hard words and they came completely out of thin air."

hahahaha

hahahaha

I think Sorenson has a point. In fairness was his form during 06/07 any worst than Carson 07/08.
    Sorenson did have a poor season in O'Leary's last year in charge alright but IMO was not bad in MON's first year at the helm

sorensen was absolutely abysmal in 06/07

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

Its been years since Villa had a decent GK, probably since the days of Bosnich & James' career resurrection. Since then Villa have relied on a series of Scandinavians who were either second rate, over the hill or prone to the odd blunder as well as Carson & now potentially Robinson, is it that difficult to recruit a solid No.1?

Such a shame to see Boaz Myhill at Hull being their No. 1, if he impresses this season MON should make it his business to recruit him back to VP.

*Honourable mention to Stefan Postma, it must have been extra sore for him to be sitting on the Villa Subs bench all that time.

Thomas Sorensen has revealed that Aston Villa manager Martin O'Neill made a blistering attack on his form after obtaining Scott Carson on loan to take his place.

The Danish keeper is still looking for a new club after falling from grace at Villa Park but feels it was all down to a misunderstanding on the back of an interview in his homeland.

O'Neill reacted badly to Sorensen's suggestion that he felt Carson was not needed, as he was playing well, with the Ulsterman claiming the former Sunderland shot-stopper was past his best and should take a long, hard look at himself in the mirror.

"I didn't understand that the club took Scott Carson on loan at a time when I was coming back from injury," Sorensen told spn.dk.

"I was contacted by the media in Denmark and I said that I didn't understand what happened.

"That statement was a little distorted when it travelled over the water [to England] and it appeared in a way that seemed like I was criticising the manager about his purchase - something which wasn't the case.

"He saw I had commented in a newspaper that I thought I had a good season last year. He said that he was not at all of the same opinion and that it was five or six years since I was, in any way, a good goalkeeper, and that I had to look at myself in the mirror.

"My jaw simply dropped to the table. They were hard words and they came completely out of thin air."

hahahaha

Guess thats that famous man management you all go on about :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

Robinson
    Carew---Agbonlahor

thoughts?

I agree with you but im not happy with them, i dont think Bentley will come, id say it will be Milner:(

• Advertisement

ive never gone on about any man management

just proves that mon has no bother letting someone sit in the reserves before moving off on a free at the end of their contract

interesting story i read yesterday about lerner too. there was a tv company in cleveland who had exclusive rights too all the browns coverage, but they ran a story about the death of his sisters daughter and played some of the 911 tape. so lerner (the business man who wouldnt let himself throw away money, according to some), pulled the plug on the tv deal and paid all costs himself after the browns were sued for quite a bit of money. his reason? the principle of the thing

Esse85 wrote: »
    I agree with you but im not happy with them, i dont think Bentley will come, id say it will be Milner:(

id have milner ahead of bentley tbh, not necessarily coz i rate him more as a player or anything, but hes not likely to act the bollox

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

ive never gone on about any man management

just proves that mon has no bother letting someone sit in the reserves before moving off on a free at the end of their contract

interesting story i read yesterday about lerner too. there was a tv company in cleveland who had exclusive rights too all the browns coverage, but they ran a story about the death of his sisters daughter and played some of the 911 tape. so lerner (the business man who wouldnt let himself throw away money, according to some), pulled the plug on the tv deal and paid all costs himself after the browns were sued for quite a bit of money. his reason? the principle of the thing

I really do like the people running Villa atm they truely do seem to have good principles and their priorities in order now I just hope they can make Villa succesful again.

a mate of mine always refers to Liverpool as "Former European champions Liverpool" anytime he speaks about them, mostly to piss off his best mate who does virtually everything with (Arsenal fan). Think we should do the same outside of this thread would be funny.

Sorenson is just bitter that Former European champions Aston Villa no longer wanted him. why not come out and say that he was misquoted or that the quotes got misinterpreted or whatever during the season in the hope that MON would forgive him and let him play his way back into contention via the reserves or during Carsons brief suspension. Instead he waits till he has left the club and shock horror it seems that nobody is even slightly interested in him.

Once we've a half decent threat on the right hand side next season I'll be satisfied. Bentley is my #1 choice I've made no attempt to hide that, but even Millner or someone else to take the double marking away from Young will open up our options.

Just saw on SSN Sidwell is to have a medical at Villa Park tomorrow morning...

Just saw on SSN Sidwell is to have a medical at Villa Park tomorrow morning...

knew it was happening but wooooooooooooo a signing

cmon now get us a GK, RB, RM & and a surprise and i guess we will be fairly happy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Yeah hopefully this is the start of a spree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Ok tis only a rumour from a Pool website [redandwhitekop] but Shanks has a pretty good reputation as being well-informed about things at the club previously.

I just want this to be resolved - I'm having major difficulty with seeing why this deal hasnt been done yet.
    Posted by ShanksLegend

Barry update, apparantly everthing is topsy turvey Villa want the 18 million pounds still for Barry they were not happy with the deal that involved Finnan, although they want him.

We were due to speak again this afternoon, from the impression i get Rafa is getting pissed off with Villa, hey may look at someone different as its getting dificult.

this is taken from an article from the times talking about Scolari & Chelsea
    If Lampard does leave, he will not be the last out of the door. Scolari has told the club that he wants a a maximum first-team squad of 25 and the arrivals of Deco, José Bosingwa and Branislav Ivanovic take the number to 33. With Scolari insisting that Didier Drogba will stay, a number of players have reason to fear for their futures, including Shaun Wright-Phillips, Tal Ben-Haim and Juliano Belletti. Steve Sidwell will join Aston Villa soon and their departures will force Chelsea to write off millions of pounds.

so along with Sidwell (supposidly signing for Villa tommorow) a RB (Belletti) CB (Tal Ben-Haim) and a RM (SWP) are all on the choping block... throw Cudicini in and Chelsea could solve all Villa's problems in one go

Edit: Eric Lund has joined IFK Gothenberg & Damien Bellon (the sh*t twin) has joined FC Vaduz

Villa'a squad for the Swiss tour: Taylor, Laursen, Knight, Davies, Petrov, Reo-Coker, Gardner, Young, Agbonlahor, Carew, Harewood, Salifou, Routledge, Osbourne, Maloney, Delfouneso, Williams, Albrighton, Parish, Baker, Stieber.

includes 6 youngsters and could be joined by Bouma and Sidwell while in Switzerland

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

Wow what a squad! 3 defenders, and only 2 are fit!
    Guess we'll be going with the 2-6-2 formation! Pack out midfield!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭rgiller

From F365 this morning:

With a hefty wedge in his pocket, it looks like Martin O'Neill is about to skip into the transfer market and start spending it.

Steve Sidwell should complete his move to Villa Park soon, and The Daily Mirror claims O'Neill will use £11million of his new found wealth to buy Valencia right-back Miguel, which seems slightly odd given that Steve Finnan seems to be part of the Barry deal, but then again logic and the tabloids have never been the closest of friends.

It's still all talk (and I hope Newcastle don't steal Sidwell at the last minute) but it looks we might be getting a few in soon

Damien, you better not be getting our hopes up here....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Thats a complete troll

Villain wrote: »
    Thats a complete troll

No, its me pointing out that MON may not be the excellent man manager some of you paint him out to be. in the last couple of weeks we've found out his efforts at managing Sorenson and Barry have actually been rather poor.

No, its me pointing out that MON may not be the excellent man manager some of you paint him out to be. in the last couple of weeks we've found out his efforts at managing Sorenson and Barry have actually being rather poor.
    No the post was a complete troll, I've neve seen a better example of a troll.

• Advertisement

If Helix/Bounty hunter etc said the same thing would it have been a troll?

Oh for gods sake, if I went into the Liverpool thread and responded to an article about Rafa with a one liner slagging him it would be a troll.

You had no interest in discussing the post you quoted you were simply looking for a reaction, look up the definition of a troll and look at your post again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Given the squad situation do Villa fans think MON should agree to the Barry for £15m plus Finnan deal as soon as possible, sign Sidwell double quick and get moving on a host of other transfers?

It seems a bit of a waste of time flying to Switzerland for a friendly with so few players :confused:

Can people really see him signing 8 more players if he does sign Sidwell and Finnan?
    O’NEILL IS ROCKED BY SHORTFALL

Wednesday July 9,2008
    By John Wragg

ASTON VILLA had only 13 recognised first-team players left as they flew out to Switzerland yesterday for a two-game tour.

It is a measure of how short of players manager Martin O’Neill is that he can hardly put a team out against FC Wil tomorrow night.

O’Neill has not taken Gareth Barry, who could finally become a Liverpool player by the end of the week, but did put Curtis Davies, still recovering from a long-term injury, and fringe players Wayne Routledge and Moustapha Salifou on the plane.

Davies will not be playing again until the autumn and neither Routledge nor Salifou have ever started a game for Villa. It brings into stark reality the number of players O’Neill needs after Patrik Berger, Thomas Sorensen, Olof Mellberg and Scott Carson all left this summer, with Barry to be added to the list.

O’Neill said Villa had the smallest squad in the Premier League last season and now he needs 10 players just to bring it up to an adequate number.

Steve Sidwell, at £5.5 million from Chelsea, will be the first arrival this week and will fly out to Switzerland for Villa’s second tour match, against FC Zurich, on Saturday.

O’Neill said: “We need players and we know what we have to do. We’re continuing to work on other deals."

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/51648/O-Neill-is-rocked-by-shortfall

Villain wrote: »
    Oh for gods sake, if I went into the Liverpool thread and responded to an article about Rafa with a one liner slagging him it would be a troll.

You had no interest in discussing the post you quoted you were simply looking for a reaction, look up the definition of a troll and look at your post again.

ok, i disagree entirely.

If people in the Liverpool thread were going on about how excellent Rafa is at organising training sessions,then a Liverpool player gave an interview stating how poorly organised training was. I would expect people to point out the seemingly obvious contradiction.

If you have a problem with my post, report it.

I did but the mods seem to ignore troll posts yet jump on people for calling posts trolls.

If you had offered some reasoning or opinion it wouldn't be a problem, but a one liner like that is blatent troll, you did look up the definition didn't you?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement