Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Villa Signings and General Rumours Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

Given the squad situation do Villa fans think MON should agree to the Barry for £15m plus Finnan deal as soon as possible, sign Sidwell double quick and get moving on a host of other transfers?

I think O'Neill should definately accept this offer.
    It seems a bit of a waste of time flying to Switzerland for a friendly with so few players :confused:

It might have it's merits. There's 6 youth team players gone over also, so it will give them a chance to mix with the first team.
    Can people really see him signing 8 more players if he does sign Sidwell and Finnan?

No way. There's no way he'll sign 10 players in total. I'd predict 5 in total.
    That very last quote from O'Neill: “We need players and we know what we have to do. We’re continuing to work on other deals" Sounds exactly like the stuff he's been coming out with in every transfer window so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Villain wrote: »
    I did but the mods seem to ignore troll posts yet jump on people for calling posts trolls.

If you had offered some reasoning or opinion it wouldn't be a problem, but a one liner like that is blatent troll, you did look up the definition didn't you?

i was quite sure the reasoning went without saying, but i'll spell it out....

MON has always been regarded as an excellent "man manager", but in the last 3 weeks we have found out that after his captain and talisman of his club told he him fancied CL football, MON made no effort at keeping him, didnt try and convince him to stay, didnt outline his plans to break Villa into the CL spots etc, he also commented numerous times on the escalating situation live on the BBC while never having been in contact with the player who he was commenting on. MONs "people" also informed Gareth Barrys "people" that they would be in contact with him in order to make proposals etc for if he was to stay, this calls never materialised. all are examples of awful man management.

now i know people will say "**** gareth barry! why should MON have to convince him to stay/outline proposals/offer new contract etc" BUT that is what top managers do, check out the Gerrard,Ferdinand,Ronaldo,Benzema,Kaka,Terry situations for example of that. and when news broke of Liverpools interest in GB, people on this very thread said MONs man management would win him over, sit him down, talk to him about transfer targets etc etc....it is what he should have done....and GBs interview showed to me that he would have stayed if MON had made the effort.

Then we are followed up a week later with an interview with a former first choice Villa keeper who Martin O'Neill basically told was ****e?! excellent man management again that.

If i was Sidwell,Lennon,Bentley,Young,Miguel and watever other players you have/should have an interest in, the idea of working with "man manager" MON would not exactly fill me with confidence.

I think MON is a good manager, and i used to think he could be a top manager. I no longer do. I feel he would be unable to deal with really top players and the baggage they bring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

I think O'Neill should definately accept this offer.

It might have it's merits. There's 6 youth team players gone over also, so it will give them a chance to mix with the first team.

No way. There's no way he'll sign 10 players in total. I'd predict 5 in total.
    That very last quote from O'Neill: “We need players and we know what we have to do. We’re continuing to work on other deals" Sounds exactly like the stuff he's been coming out with in every transfer window so far.

Fair enough on the youth players but it just strikes me as an odd one to be honest. Didnt think there were too many who tipped to make the first squad.

Only five players total - :eek: - seems to be that you would be relying very much on not picking up any long-term injuries. I would thought Villa were relatively lucky last season regarding injuries. Suppose something similar to West Ham's recent injury jinx descended on Villa Park. One of two injuries could easily collapse your season. Seems strange if Villa have so much money around not to have a larger squad. Could well be on for the smallest squad again this season - maybe only rivalled by the newcowers e.g. Stoke/WBA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Tomthepost

Mr Alan wrote: »
    ok, i disagree entirely.

If people in the Liverpool thread were going on about how excellent Rafa is at organising training sessions,then a Liverpool player gave an interview stating how poorly organised training was. I would expect people to point out the seemingly obvious contradiction.

If you have a problem with my post, report it.

Seriously what is your obsession with Villa??
    Could you please keep you negative vibes to your own Club thread
    Get a life like. I would not bother my bottom even looking at what Liverpool fans are thinking!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

I think MON is a good manager, and i used to think he could be a top manager. I no longer do. I feel he would be unable to deal with really top players and the baggage they bring.
    Thank you for your contribution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭pvt.joker

Tomthepost wrote: »
    Seriously what is your obession with Villa??
    Could you please keep you negative vibes to your own Club thread
    Get a life like. I would not bother my bottom even looking at what Liverpool fans are thinking!

It's not just Villa. He's obsessed with posting crap in the United thread too.
    Typical bitter scouse fan though eh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

i was quite sure the reasoning went without saying, but i'll spell it out....

Oh yea because we can all mind read over the internet now, it was a troll plain and simple, posting reasons after the fact is doing nothing more than accepting it was a troll
    Mr Alan wrote:
    MON has always been regarded as an excellent "man manager", but in the last 3 weeks we have found out that after his captain and talisman of his club told he him fancied CL football, MON made no effort at keeping him, didnt try and convince him to stay, didnt outline his plans to break Villa into the CL spots etc, he also commented numerous times on the escalating situation live on the BBC while never having been in contact with the player who he was commenting on. MONs "people" also informed Gareth Barrys "people" that they would be in contact with him in order to make proposals etc for if he was to stay, this calls never materialised. all are examples of awful man management.

This has been repeated so many times, Barry met with MON and Lerner after he came back from the English games and MON and Lerner asked if there was anything they could do to keep him, he said no that he wanted CL football, they accepted that and Barry acepted that and was told once Liverpool matched their fee he could go, so why did MON need to talk to Barry again his mind was made up, Barry came out because it was dragging on and he wanted to apply pressure, which has badly backfired.
    Mr Alan wrote:
    now i know people will say "**** gareth barry! why should MON have to convince him to stay/outline proposals/offer new contract etc" BUT that is what top managers do, check out the Gerrard,Ferdinand,Ronaldo,Benzema,Kaka,Terry situations for example of that. and when news broke of Liverpools interest in GB, people on this very thread said MONs man management would win him over, sit him down, talk to him about transfer targets etc etc....it is what he should have done....and GBs interview showed to me that he would have stayed if MON had made the effort.
    Complete bull Barry never said he wanted to stay he said his mind was made up, your just posting complete bull now.
    Mr Alan wrote:
    Then we are followed up a week later with an interview with a former first choice Villa keeper who Martin O'Neill basically told was ****e?! excellent man management again that.

He WAS ****e, I'd much rather MON was honest with the player rather than tell him bull.
    Mr Alan wrote:
    If i was Sidwell,Lennon,Bentley,Young,Miguel and watever other players you have/should have an interest in, the idea of working with "man manager" MON would not exactly fill me with confidence.

LOL so many players have said nothing but good things about MON, the very fact that Liverpool are offering big money for Barry is down to MON's man management Barry was an average player looking to leave for a side like Portsmouth before MON took over, now he's been chased by one of the top 4 teams for a huge fee, MON is a great manager, so many records show that and so many players have praised working under him.

Your posts are just so biased and full of crap, even Liverpool fans can see your so pro Rafa its laughable.

Sidwell set to sign pending a medical. Woot!
    avfc.co.uk wrote:
    Villa have agreed to sign Chelsea's former England Under-21 midfielder Steve Sidwell, subject to a medical.
    The deal should be concluded within the next 24 hours.
    http://www.avfc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10265~1341048,00.html

Great post Villain, sums it up perfectly. He trolls the United forum too.

I think MON is one of the best man managers in the game for what it's worth. The players genuinely seem to like and respect him as a man, and a manager.

Great job, good start to the buying spree

• Advertisement

the very fact that Liverpool are offering big money for Barry is down to MON's man management Barry was an average player looking to leave for a side like Portsmouth before MON took over, now he's been chased by one of the top 4 teams for a huge fee
    Mr Alan, please read this over and over again.
    Villain wrote:
    Your posts are just so biased and full of crap, either Liverpool fans can see your so pro Rafa its laughable.
    +1.

So now...(clears throat)

SIDWELL FOR ENGLAND :pac::pac:

Your posts are just so biased and full of crap, even Liverpool fans can see your so pro Rafa its laughable.

my posts are so biased toward Rafa?but i point out that perhaps MON aint the man manager he is thought to be and you near **** your pants?!dont make me laugh.

my posts are so biased toward Rafa?but i point out that perhaps MON aint the man manager he is thought to be and you near **** your pants?!dont make me laugh.
    Ah not able to reply to the rest of my post???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

sidwell deal done

official site
    Villa have agreed to sign Chelsea's former England Under-21 midfielder Steve Sidwell, subject to a medical.

The deal should be concluded within the next 24 hours.

You posted one example, Sorenson, who was a known shit stirrer. Your second example is the same Gareth Barry that MON made into an England regular and whose value trebled since he took over. Yeah, MON sucks at man management alright :rolleyes:

Dude, for some reason you've used this Barry saga to invade the Villa board, I was genuinely open to comments and criticisms from outsiders but the more I read your posts the more I wonder to myself what damn planet you are living on. You start a provocative point in a troll-like manner, then when it threatens to erupt you try and sidestep the crap you post by fusing it into some warped incoherent statement like that's what you meant all along. *yawn*

Savman wrote: »
    You posted one example, Sorenson, who was a known shit stirrer. Your second example is the same Gareth Barry that MON made into an England regular and whose value trebled since he took over. Yeah, MON sucks at man management alright :rolleyes:

Dude, for some reason you've used this Barry saga to invade the Villa board, I was genuinely open to comments and criticisms from outsiders but the more I read your posts the more I wonder to myself what damn planet you are living on. You start a provocative point in a troll-like manner, then when it threatens to erupt you try and sidestep the crap you post by fusing it into some warped incoherent statement like that's what you meant all along. *yawn*

+1

You've said it better than I ever could. Go back to the Liverpool thread Mr.Alan and stop trolling other club threads please.

as requested.
    This has been repeated so many times, Barry met with MON and Lerner after he came back from the English games and MON and Lerner asked if there was anything they could do to keep him, he said no that he wanted CL football, they accepted that and Barry acepted that and was told once Liverpool matched their fee he could go, so why did MON need to talk to Barry again his mind was made up.

MON said "Gareth has told me he fancies the move to Liverpool to play in the CL"....well Mr O'Neill, this is where you famous man management comes in, convince him Villa will be in the CL in the next 2/3 years, thats the plan anyway, its wat the fans near expect, and wat the owner wants. O'Neill didnt-he accepted it and ceased communication with Barry.Barry can surely only take this as the manager himself doesnt belief AV can break into the top 4 in the next few years.

This is poor man management, watever way you look at it.
    Complete bull Barry never said he wanted to stay he said his mind was made up, your just posting complete bull now..

Barry on numerous instances in the interview said, his mind was now made up. And mentioned there being no efforts at a new deal or to convince him to stay, its only my opinion, but i think if he was offered a new deal and O'Neill told him he thought they'd be in the CL in the next 2/3 years, he would have stayed....the language Barry used certainly makes it out that way.
    now he's been chased by one of the top 4 teams for a huge fee, MON is a great manager, so many records show that and so many players have praised working under him.

No, MONs record shows he is a good manager. Which i've already said he is. If he made the step up to a bigger club he could become a great manager, but i dont think he will or could, as i've already outlined.

Again, i've already pointed out how hypocritical this part is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

How can you claim you're not out purely to antagonise people Mr. Alan? You posted this at 1a.m. on a Sunday morning, on the Villa thread, in the middle of a debate over whether or not Paul Robinson was any use....
    For someone famed for their man management, O'Neill really seems to have dropped the ball here.

Villas position couldnt be weaker now imo.
    Barry has been deeply disappointed by the behaviour of O’Neill during the long-running transfer saga, as he explained: “Villa kept saying they wanted me to stay but I have not heard from the manager for weeks.

“The last time we spoke was just after England’s match in Trinidad at the start of June. And that’s it. It just made me think that he and the club were just saying one thing in public but were not really bothered at all about me in private. ........

You can try justify it all you want, and I'll grant you're very good at keeping your jibes disguised as argument and objective points of information, but the fact is you were up on a Saturday night looking for ways to rub our backs up.

• Advertisement

don't feed the troll lads. He does this regularly on the United thread.
    It's bitterness, nothing else.
    He thinks Benitez can do no wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Tomthepost

Ah not able to reply to the rest of my post???

Lets hope we have seen the last of him in here. He should be hanging about it that transfer saga thread of some average boring midfielder:D:D
    Sidwell welcome to VP:):)

Looking forward to seeing Sidders actually, this transfer makes sense on so many levels.

Again, i've already pointed out how hypocritical this part is.

ill say it then

not hypocritical from me as youve already acknowledged my views on mon

Scholesy Sidwell, welcome my ginger haired friend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,125 ✭✭✭homah_7ft

It's a relief to see the Sidwell move completed. I was getting worried it could drag on. With an actual concrete signing, some kicking of a ball and some more players coming in soon we can get back to normality on this thread.

• Advertisement

we havent had a ginger since johnson have we?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

Neil3030 wrote: »
    How can you claim you're not out purely to antagonise people Mr. Alan? You posted this at 1a.m. on a Sunday morning, on the Villa thread, in the middle of a debate over whether or not Paul Robinson was any use....

Its a well known fact on boards that Mr Alan doesnt sleep.
    He is also partial to omlettes and doesnt eat dairy.
    That is all!

On a serious note, sidwell is a good signing.
    No conicidence that reading were half the team after he left.
    Still think MON basically needs to sign at least 6 more players with at least 3 being first teamers.
    Villa squad is about as bare as there is in the premiership at the minute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

Scholesy Sidwell, welcome my ginger haired friend.

I see Big John has been put in charge of the official Sidwell welcoming committee :pac:

0,,10265%7E3707300,00.jpg

A closer look

0,,10265~3707303,00.jpg

Lol! Just thinking, Big Johnny's from Norway, would he have ever seen a ginger before?

John_Arne_Riise.jpg

• Advertisement

Please get that poxy liverpool jersey off our thread :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Oh for gods sake, if I went into the Liverpool thread and responded to an article about Rafa with a one liner slagging him it would be a troll.

You had no interest in discussing the post you quoted you were simply looking for a reaction, look up the definition of a troll and look at your post again.

Penguin Dictionary defines 'troll' as : An ugly dwarf or giant that lives in caves or hills.
    How the hell do you have an internet connection up there, Mr Alan?

monkey9 wrote: »
    Penguin Dictionary defines 'troll' as : An ugly dwarf or giant that lives in caves or hills.
    How the hell do you have an internet connection up there, Mr Alan?
    Eircom Wifi?

btw - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_troll
    wikipedia wrote:
    they are often ugly, obnoxious creatures bent on mischief and wickedness.
    Sound like anyone we know? :pac::pac::pac:

its a good thing i'm not overly sensitive.

its a good thing i'm not overly sensitive.
    Its a good job your not within arms reach!

emmm.......emmmmm........ok?

:D

What say ye men to the rumour that we made an 11m punt for Miguel this morning?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

Sidwell is a great signing, him with NRC in the centre next season will hopefully mean more goals, am i mad or should MON try and buy someone like Jimmy Bullard as a supersub for these 2?.

Miguel or Finnan? i prefer Miguel purely because he is younger, Finnan is yesterdays player and only at best a stop gap, why not have both?.
    What say ye men to the rumour that we made an 11m punt for Miguel this morning?

I say thumbs up!

Is it rubbish though? Sky Sports News are carrying it now apparently according to someone on AVFCblog, though I don't know for certain because I'm not at home.

• Advertisement

Still just a rumour AFAIK from scanning the Villa boards. Apparently he is an offensive full back (so obviously he cant defend) and Valencia are allegedly getting Chimbonda to replace him. Hmmmm...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

Is it rubbish though? Sky Sports News are carrying it now apparently according to someone on AVFCblog, though I don't know for certain because I'm not at home.

There could be some truth in this rumour but the money they are looking for is ridiculous for a 28 year old rightback (around the £11m mark). MON seems to like Portuguese rightbacks though and Villa have been linked to them ever since his failed bid to capture José Bosingwa last summer. Migual is good but Braga's rightback João Pereira & Benfica's Nélson (both of whom have been linked with Villa before) would be cheaper and more realistic targets IMO.

oooooh yeeeeeah!

9 1/2 hours til im officially a season ticket holder

You lucky guy Helix, you'll have to get your own forum like the Spurs fans to discuss travel arrangements!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,098 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Miguel's a good player and all, but 11million sounds like insane money. I would have said 7 would be a fair, maybe even somewhat generous price..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

It's alright, we're getting an insane amount of money for Gaz Baz, so we'll just use that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Helix wrote: »
    oooooh yeeeeeah!

Wow...that is going to be seriously expensive with all the traveling to and frow. How many games are you gonna go see ?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Helix wrote: »
    oooooh yeeeeeah!

How much will this set you back...?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Tusky wrote: »
    Wow...that is going to be seriously expensive with all the traveling to and frow. How many games are you gonna go see ?

In general, if games are left at 3pm Saturday the cost is reasonable (from my perspective anyway) it's when they move games to Sunday/Monday, you throw in midweek cup ties, or you go to a load of away games that things become prohibitively expensive.

I reckon the last 3 seasons have set me back in excess of €15k (probably closer to €20k tbh)

• Advertisement

Tusky wrote: »

nah it wont be expensive at all, if you book 6-8 weeks in advance for flights its between €20-50. youd do a match every fortnight easily for less than the price of a night out in dublin
    Dub13 wrote: »
    How much will this set you back...?

£265

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement