Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Villa Signings and General Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

We have bid for Bentley, the General was responding to reports that we had bid 10m:
    ckrulak wrote:
    General Krulak here:

1. As always, do not believe what you read in the paper. 10 M...not correct. Believe me. I will not say what the offer was but...it beat anything anyone else has offered.

From http://www.astonvilla.vitalfootball.co.uk/forum/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=18930&start=497

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Bentley'd be a nice acquisition all right. can't see him heading to Birmingham though, hasn't he said he wants to return to live in London?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

What do you guys think of that quote?
    Can only be positive I would have thought but over on VT they're jumping to the conclusion that it's in the past and he has turned us down.
    Why they think that I don't know.
    Also it's unusual for the general to comment so specifically on a transfer like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

id say chuck will get his knuckles rapped for that one, unless bentley is as good as signed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

A big boo boo by the General...
    General Krulak here:

1. I am terribly sorry I have stirred up a hornet's nest. I made a mistake...and admit it. My intent was not to indicate that we were in a bidding war for Bentley or that he has made a decision or anything else. I should have kept quite. I saw the thread and saw the price tag and was trying to say (VERY POORLY) that none of our fans should read the papers and believe that the player or the price is correct. In my haste to get out that message, I kicked it into the stands!! My point is simple: The papers do not know what is going on...only MON really knows...so we should wait and see what he has to say. I DO NOT KNOW!! A VERY poor choice of words by me.

• Advertisement

Helix wrote: »
    id say chuck will get his knuckles rapped for that one, unless bentley is as good as signed

I don't think anyone would ever dare rap The General's knuckles but I know what you mean!

If it materializes that we were in for Bentley, then I don't think anyone will mind the General jumping the gun a bit, we all wanted a bit of insight into what's going on behind the scenes.
    However if there was no bid, it's a bad move on the General's behalf to even mention a player by name knowing what the fans are like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Savman wrote: »

A very big boo boo. He spelled 'quite' wrong. It's Q.U.I.E.T!

He said something he definitely shouldn't have but at the same time he has let the cat out of the bag a little bit.

I'm optimistic now that signing Bentley is a real possibility.

2 possibilities arising from him mentioning bentley

1) he doesnt want to join us

or

2) the deal is done

• Advertisement

2 possibilities arising from him mentioning bentley

1) he doesnt want to join us

or

2) the deal is done
    Yeps it's gotta be one of those 2 really.

or 3.the bid was rejected and we don't know either

id assume its the former meself

i dont think hed make THAT much of a booboo as to announce something before mon greenlights

Yeps it's gotta be one of those 2 really.

Fingers crossed eh?

Signing Bentley would obviously greatly add to the team but also send a out a massive message of ambition.

Villain wrote: »
    or 3.the bid was rejected and we don't know either

nope, he wouldnt comment on bidding on a player we were actively engaging

its 100% absolutely done with, its just a case of whether we have him or whether we dont

i would be positive at this stage there will be no more bids from us for the player

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Do you not find it just little hypocritical that your General man has now spoken on the subject of a player they have made a bid for?

Especially after the character assassination your fans and manager made gainst Rafa Benitez for an article he may or may not have leaked to the press?

Did you not gloat that your club would never act in such a public fashion when in actual fact your are acting in a more public manner with a club director alking about the player and bid in question?

Surely you see how hypocritical you are all being?

Did you read the Generals response Des?

The story was out already also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

out where? did Blackburn announce the bid?

Did you read the Generals response Des?

response means nothing.

He did what he did, and just because he said it was some "mistake"? pfft, it was a calculated move, imo.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    out where? did Blackburn announce the bid?
    Oh FFS seriously.

You want to compare the Liverpool bid for Barry DURING the season been leaked to a Newspaper, before such time no-one had teh story to the General responding to Newspaper reports during closed season?

• Advertisement

Des wrote: »
    Do you not find it just little hypocritical that your General man has now spoken on the subject of a player they have made a bid for?

Especially after the character assassination your fans and manager made gainst Rafa Benitez for an article he may or may not have leaked to the press?

Did you not gloat that your club would never act in such a public fashion when in actual fact your are acting in a more public manner with a club director alking about the player and bid in question?

Actually he was responding to a press article, or so he says. It's a bizarre turn of events, totally out of character for the man so I personally don't know what to make of it. But you can't draw comparisons to Rafa, not until the real facts of this Bentley thing become clear.

If there is no discussion with Blackburn and/or the player himself then yes, it's completely wrong for a Villa Director to be discussing it. It doesn't stop Real Madrid or Milan barking about Ronaldo or Adeboyor, but we expect more from AVFC.

i had heard nothing about the bid, and it hadnt been discussed in here until the general made his post.

Rafa made a bid for Barry which he is untitled to do. O Neill hasn't shut the f*ck up about since. Ironically, Villa fans have been slating Rafa for dragging it into the media when he's hardly spoken about it. So why you're bringing Rafa into it now, i don't know

Listen, if Bentley signs or a bid is accepted, then all the General will have done is let slip prematurely before both clubs have had a chance to announce anything officially. If that's the case, The General hasn't done a lot wrong, but we won't know for a few days if that's what this is all about.

Others reckon it's because Bentley is Spurs-bound, I dunno.

monkey9 wrote: »
    Rafa made a bid for Barry which he is untitled to do. O Neill hasn't shut the f*ck up about since. Ironically, Villa fans have been slating Rafa for dragging it into the media when he's hardly spoken about it. So why you're bringing Rafa into it now, i don't know
    Do people actually have the ability to compare situations?

Who's bringing Rafa into it? Do you read stuff before pressing "Post Reply"?

Listen, if Bentley signs or a bid is accepted, then all the General will have done is let slip prematurely before both clubs have had a chance to announce anything officially. If that's the case, The General hasn't done a lot wrong, but we won't know for a few days if that's what this is all about.

So if Barry signs for Liverpool/or MON finally accepts a bid, will Rafa have done nothing wrong in your eyes??

fact is a Villa official has commented on your club wanting another clubs player. A player that other club does not want to sell. Dress it up watever way you want.

Who's bringing Rafa into it? Do you read stuff before pressing "Post Reply"?

You did. I read it in your post before i hit Post Reply

Do people actually have the ability to compare situations?

Villa fans bitching about another club talking about a bid one of their players.

Villa fans not recognising the irony in a club official from Villa talking about a bid for a player at another club.

What's different?

Timing doesn't matter a shíte.

• Advertisement

oh it is a bit, but it wasnt intentional and bentley HAS handed in a transfer request

its not like the liverpool thing which happened before one of our biggest games of the season to our club captain who HADNT handed in a request. but yes id expect krulak to get a bit of a bollocking off o'neill over this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭death1234567

Poor stuff from the general but everyone makes mistakes. Hopefully the press don't pick up on his comments and quote him stating villa have made a huge bentley offer.

Villa fans bitching about another club talking about a bid one of their players.

Villa fans not recognising the irony in a club official from Villa talking about a bid for a player at another club.

What's different?

Timing doesn't matter a shíte.
    Timing doesn't matter??? seriously are you honestly trying to say that a club leaking a story to a paper during the last few weeks of the season when that Club was pushing for a European spot is the same a Club rep commenting on newspaper reports during closed season?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭pvt.joker

Apologies for my ignorance, but who is this General chap?

Does he usually have good inside info?

the main difference here is the fact that the player had handed in a request, but i still think its bad form from the general

hes not a pr man nor is he a football man tho, it was an honest slip while defending the club

You did. I read it in your post before i hit Post Reply
    Go back and read it again. Rafa was mentioned by Des first, not I. I actually disagreed that comparisons could be drawn but it seems we're too late for that, the lunatics have taken over the asylum.

• Advertisement

pvt.joker wrote: »
    Apologies for my ignorance, but who is this general chap?

hed want to, hes a fcukin director lol

Apologies for my ignorance, but who is this General chap?

A Villa Director, Randy Lerner's right hand man. Talks directly with fans on the message boards, usually a stand up gentleman.

oh it is a bit, but it wasnt intentional
    Poor stuff from the general but everyone makes mistakes.
    Not intentional?

Mistake?

My white hairy arse it wasn't intentional.

Seriously, does the sun shine out of this fella's mickey or what?
    Timing doesn't matter??? seriously are you honestly trying to say that a club leaking a story to a paper during the last few weeks of the season when that Club was pushing for a European spot is the same a Club rep commenting on newspaper reports during closed season?

Are you honestly defending the actions of the "general"?

He leaked this story, end of.

Now, you should be slating him like you slated liverpool.

If not, it's hyprocasy.

Plain and simple.

Or call it "a situation coming back to bite you on the ass".

Sometimes you just have to suck it up, ya know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭pvt.joker

hed want to, hes a fcukin director lol

jaysus, thats a good source alright!

So is the general consensus (haha see what i did there) , that this general has let the cat out of the bag, and is now backtracking.....or that it was a genuine mistake and that villa are not in for bently?
    :confused:

it was an honest slip

rofl.

he typed it up, probably re-read it before he hit submit.

honest slip?

jesus wept.

• Advertisement

Des wrote:
    Seriously, does the sun shine out of this fella's mickey or what?
    Seriously, that's hardly mature.:confused:

So is the general consensus (haha see what i did there) , that this general has let the cat out of the bag, and is now backtracking.....or that it was a genuine mistake and that villa are not in for bently?
    No idea. But Des and Mr Alan seem to know more than the rest of us, maybe they can shed some light on it.

hes let the cat out of the bag, we have made a bit alrite. its just unclear as to what the status of it is. he wouldnt ahve mentioned the player by name im sure if it was still a live bid tho

Once again, for those not interested in pushing an agenda:
    General Krulak here:

1. I posted a sentence on another thread that was POORLY written and sent the wrong message. Simply put and to correct the thread, I do NOT know whether we are in a bidding contest for Mr. Bentley. My point was simply that none of us should take the media as the "gospel" when it comes to players, prices, etc. etc. ONLY MON knows who we are looking at and what the offer might be. If someone says we have bid "10M for Bentley", that is the opinion of a writer...NOT necessarily correct. POOR WORDING by me and I apologize.
    So there, he said he made a mistake and apologized. Don't remember Rafa doing that.

rofl.

he typed it up, probably re-read it before he hit submit.

honest slip?

jesus wept.

nah seriously man the guy has a zero transfer target talk policy. its extremely out of character and im sure he'll be disciplined about it

Once again, for those not interested in pushing an agenda:

:eek:

What agenda would I possibly have?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

comparison drawn, we get it, no Villa fan has condoned the Generals slip-up, this has nothing to do with Liverpool now.

However the general more than any other itk around does have insider info, and what he said is very interesting. I believe we have put in a bid for Bentley for more than 10m but nothing more.

maybe one of the reasons the General made this slip up is actually to avoid a Barry-esque comparison i.e the general consensus was that Barry (Bentley) was valued at around £15m, even though Villa (Blackburn) supposidly want closer to 18m. and then the media ran a story about a £10m bid which pissed off the Villa (blackburn) manager and fans as it was seen as derisery.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Sidwell in now officially a Villan

(and Des isnt a Pool fan afaik)

Are you honestly defending the actions of the "general"?

He leaked this story, end of.

Now, you should be slating him like you slated liverpool.

If not, it's hyprocasy.

Plain and simple.

Or call it "a situation coming back to bite you on the ass".

Sometimes you just have to suck it up, ya know.
    I'm not defending him but he apologised almost straight away, to compare this incident to Liverpool leaking the Barry transfer to the Echo before Villa played important games is laughable, it not my fault you can't compare situations and see the difference.

One player puts in a transfer request, its closed season and the transfer window is open, several papers and online news sites report for over a week that Villa are after Bentley then an article is printed stating Villa bid around 10 million for the player, the General responds saying the article is incorrect and we Bid more than other teams.

Another player is captain of his club playing well and hasn't mentioned anything about leaving, during the closing weeks of the season when his club are playing hugely important games and when the transfer window is closed a club makes a bid, and then they leak it to the paper to unsettle the player.

If those situations look the same to you Des, then I'll sponsor you a visit to spec savers

(and Des isnt a Pool fan afaik)
    No but he spends enough time up Mr Alan's arse he might as well be :p

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement