Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Villa Signings and General Rumours Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭pvt.joker

if this is true, and you do get him, then I fully expect him , along with Sidwell to help you mount a serious challenge for 4th place. Between yourselves and Spurs for 4th place I reckon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Savman wrote: »
    No but he spends enough time up Mr Alan's arse he might as well be :p
    Seriously, that's hardly mature.:confused:

Once again, for those not interested in pushing an agenda:

So there, he said he made a mistake and apologized. Don't remember Rafa doing that.

Serious back tracking going on there by mr general!

Dig up stupid!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Helix wrote: »
    oh it is a bit, but it wasnt intentional and bentley HAS handed in a transfer request.

its not like the liverpool thing which happened before one of our biggest games of the season to our club captain who HADNT handed in a request. but yes id expect krulak to get a bit of a bollocking off o'neill over this

em....it was intentional, or else he typed it by accident?

and your right, its not like the Liverpool bid, which was possibly leaked by us.

This is a director of a football saying they have bid for a player.
    Villain wrote: »
    Timing doesn't matter??? seriously are you honestly trying to say that a club leaking a story to a paper during the last few weeks of the season when that Club was pushing for a European spot is the same a Club rep commenting on newspaper reports during closed season?

Timing doesnt matter, Blackburn dont want to sell Bentley. The rules dont change in the off season.
    the main difference here is the fact that the player had handed in a request, but i still think its bad form from the general

hes not a pr man nor is he a football man tho, it was an honest slip while defending the club

Transfer request makes no odds. Same rules apply. But at least you're admitting the hypocrisy on display.
    No idea. But Des and Mr Alan seem to know more than the rest of us, maybe they can shed some light on it.

wats happened is that a Villa dir. has made it public that they have bid for a player. a player whose club do not want to sell him (or at least publically saying as much). This is the same "Villa" who responded furiously to a newspaper story saying Liverpool had interest in Barry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Sidwell on signing:
    "I am absolutely delighted to join. I am over the moon. It's taken a while but now it's done I am excited and looking forward to meeting my new team-mates and getting on the pitch and playing football.

"There's been a lot of speculation and rumour about the deal and it has played on my mind a little but I've been professional and kept my head down.

"I am here now and can't wait to put a Villa shirt on and play for the fans. For me personally, it's about getting back and playing. I have had a year of not playing as much as I would have liked so to get out on the pitch is the first aim.

"It's straight down to work really. I have already done some pre-season with Chelsea but the hard work starts now.

"I can't wait to get out on the training field and meet my new team-mates. I have heard they are a good bunch of lads.

"I am sure I will settle in fine and I'm sure the players will be fine with me."

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

No but he spends enough time up Mr Alan's arse he might as well be :p

two birds with one stone, you know AL will be reading this thread in a bit.
    Edit: he's already here :D

fair play to the General for immediatley putting his hands up after seing how people responded to his msg and saying I was wrong, I dont know, I made a mistake.

not that we condone that mistake, but for any extra insight im happy. TBH i doubt Blackburn fans would be too pissed they know he has handed in a transfer request and are probably also interested whos in for him and for how much?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Des wrote: »
    Touche. Mr Alan Fan Club, Membership: 2 :D
    pvt.joker wrote:
    Serious back tracking going on there by mr general!

Dig up stupid!
    No he was wrong 100% I'm not defending it at all. But trust us when we say it's totally out of character for the man who so far has never commented on any transfer talk, so this is truly bizarre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Mr Alan wrote: »

Timing doesnt matter, Blackburn dont want to sell Bentley. The rules dont change in the off season.
    ROFL I don't know I give up some people are beyond help. Like seriously!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Touche. Mr Alan Fan Club, Membership: 2 :D

No he was wrong 100% I'm not defending it at all. But trust us when we say it's totally out of character for the man who so far has never commented on any transfer talk, so this is truly bizarre.

he may have been on the brandy

• Advertisement

:D:D

best just to point and laugh

he may have been on the brandy
    Probably. Because if Bentley doesn't sign, and it's doubtful he will, then this is right up there with the "Top Class signings" statement. Oh how the club lived to regret that interview...

will you please post up the FA/Fifa/Uefa transfer policy that outlines what changes in the summer. Cheers.

will you please post up the FA/Fifa/Uefa transfer policy that outlines what changes in the summer. Cheers.

Seriously Al were not talking about official rules here, would you have prefered If the Gerrard to Chelsea saga took place near the end of the premiership season or as it did during the Summer. there is a difference

who knows if the generals quote will even be picked up anyway, he is almost never quoted in the media. Only one instance can I remember and that was the David Gold pig in mud situation.

Probably. Because if Bentley doesn't sign, and it's doubtful he will, then this is right up there with the "Top Class signings" statement. Oh how the club lived to regret that interview...

id say its very much a dead in the water bid tbh, most likely rejected and we ended our interest

stop being so pathetic

look the general knows it was wrong and apologised, villa fans know it was a slip and it was wrong and we acknowledge both

it seems apparent that the gulf in class between the clubs and how theyre run extends to some fans these days

we're not running around trying to defend the general for making a boo boo, nor are we going to try and turn it around on blackburn somehow. we hold our hands up and admit one of our directors made a schoolboy error that he should never have done

based on what youre saying about krulak now, it seems prudent to mention that benitez (your MANAGER, not a non-executive director who doesnt know the game), came out today and further discussed robbie keane, after coming out and discussing david villa, which came after he discussed gareth barry

• Advertisement

look the general knows it was wrong and apologised, villa fans know it was a slip and it was wrong and we acknowledge both

He apologised if Villa fans got the impression that Villa have tabled a mega bid for bentley, he says he doesnt know if they are are in a bidding war or not....i would assume he knows if they are in for him or not.
    it seems apparent that the gulf in class between the clubs and how theyre run extends to some fans these days

Its that very high horse which you think you're on, that pisses me off. Villa have NO moral highgroud over Liverpool. Not in anyway.
    we're not running around trying to defend the general for making a boo boo, nor are we going to try and turn it around on blackburn somehow. we hold our hands up and admit one of our directors made a schoolboy error that he should never have done

for making a boo boo? is he a child? the guy is a dir. at one of the biggest clubs in England. he didnt make a "boo boo" he confirmed Villas interest in a player, and then basically said "sorry that sentence was constructed poorly, i dont know if we're in a bidding war for Bentley", get a grip, of course he knows.
    based on what youre saying about krulak now, it seems prudent to mention that benitez (your MANAGER, not a non-executive director who doesnt know the game), came out today and further discussed robbie keane, after coming out and discussing david villa, which came after he discussed gareth barry

tbh i couldnt give a ****e, i dont mind if MON (or the general)wants to comment on players your interested in, or Rafa on players we're interested in, my point is simply to knock Villa fans off the high horse they climbed upon over the GB affair and to point out their club acts in the exact same way as every other.

**PS lets remember that we are comparing the general commenting, to a story that appeared in a tabloid newspaper.

how many times have villa conducted business in public that you can remember? compare that to how many times liverpool have conducted business in public THIS WEEK

Mr.Alan

You regularly use the defence in the United thread that the two situations "couldnt be more different" when your defending Gerrards interest in Chelsea compared to Ronaldos interest in Madrid.

I would like to do the same here, and to quote you "the 2 situations couldnt be more different".

The general made a schoolboy error, perhaps it was a deliberate leak. However you don't see MON doing it do you? We are contrasting the morals and class of the respective managers here. Benitez has no morals , as Helix said, yet again today he is talking about Robbie Keane.

Thats cheap , very cheap.

The generals case was a once off. Benitez is constantly doing it.
    He has no class, a disgrace to the Premier league if I may be so brave.

pvt poker, this is a villa thread, to discuss matters to do with Villa, not your dislike of me, take it to PM if you must but i am not discussing your general grievances with my posts here. i wont be responding to your posts in this thread again, PM if you wanna talk about something.

Helix-in the last few weeks, we have mentioned Villa,Keane in public, both today, one of which was us saying its not possible to sign them, the other was yes we'd be interested. Villa have done it with Bentley a couple of times in the last few weeks. I dont see that much of a difference, you are nit-picking imo.

pvt poker, this is a villa thread, to discuss matters to do with Villa, not your dislike of me, take it to PM if you must but i am not discussing your general grievances with my posts here. i wont be responding to your posts in this thread again, PM if you wanna talk about something.

I am talking about villa matters. I was just pointing out how hypocritical you have been.
    I have no issues with you .If you don't want to respond to my genuine discussions then thats your choice.

• Advertisement

this is a villa thread
    I sometimes wonder if you read your own posts at all :confused:

I sometimes wonder if you read your own posts at all :confused:

:D:D

The villa thread has become a halting site for trolling and pettiness in the last few days, and the quality of posts on it have gone way downhill.
    There is some serious bitterness being displayed by a couple of Liverpool fans, and the mods won't acknowledge it.

tbh i couldnt give a ****e, i dont mind if MON (or the general)wants to comment on players your interested in, or Rafa on players we're interested in, my point is simply to knock Villa fans off the high horse they climbed upon over the GB affair and to point out their club acts in the exact same way as every other.

atleast you admit you are here simply to knock Villa fans down a peg or two from what is just in your opinion an unjust moral highground which they have taken. However I would hope you saying that you couldent care either way about this issue would mean that there will be no more comments about it and this thread can go back to talking about Villa Sigings and general rumours and not Liverpool.

why not make comparisons between this case and the Villa-Liverpool-Barry situation in the Barry thread is you want to keep knocking us off our high horse.

would mean that there will be no more comments about it and this thread can go back to talking about Villa Sigings and general rumours and not Liverpool.

+1
    Can anything Liverpool related (including images posted yesterday) be removed to the Liverpool thread please?

pvt.joker wrote: »
    I am talking about villa matters. I was just pointing out how hypocritical you have been.
    I have no issues with you .If you don't want to respond to my genuine discussions then thats your choice.

ok then,

the situaitons are not that different at all.

If anything The General commenting on a transfer target is worse than The Liverpool Echo commenting on a transfer target with no quotes from anyone associated with Liverpool.

As for your comments in regards to Benitez having no class, well thats your opinion and you're entitled to it, but i couldnt disagree more, and i think the vast vast vast vast majority of football fans would be on my side in this one.

Its quite clear that your dislike of Liverpool draws you into this thread anytime i post, as it did yesterday.

Villa fansites were calling for the FA to take action over Liverpool and Barry situation, will they do the same now? THATS hypocrisy.

People on this very thread very bragging about how AV would never comment on players they were interested in, well today, their smug elitest attitude has come back and bit them in the arse as A DIRECTER at their club has commented on a possible transfer target. Thats hypocrisy.

Villa fans accussed Steven Gerrard of "tapping up" Gareth Barry when he talked about wanting him to play at Liverpool next year and the possibility of it...the other week when one of their players (Gardner)did virtually the exact same thing on the possibility of Bentley signing and him lining out with them next year-did Villa fans react furiously from their high horse? not a mention. thats hypocrisy.

Ronaldo wants to leave Utd for more money and to inflate his ego. Gerrard wanted to leave Liverpool as he didnt think they could compete at the highest level, the situations are totally different as i have pointed out.

Tell you wot Al, why dont you shag off to the dedicated Liverpool and Barry threads and do us all a favour.

Tell you wot Al, why dont you shag off to the dedicated Liverpool and Barry threads and do us all a favour.

Because this is not really to do with Barry, its to do with The General and Bentley and Aston Villa fans hypocrisy, with reference to the Barry situation...this thread is more suited to it. You yourselves makes reference to Barry in this thread occassionally, the rules are the exact same for me as for you.

I'm off to a gig anyway, but i wont be told to leave this thread by anyone. If you dont like my posts, ignore me. otherwise, keep stum please.

If anything The General commenting on a transfer target is worse than The Liverpool Echo commenting on a transfer target with no quotes from anyone associated with Liverpool.
    Liverpool/Barry related
    As for your comments in regards to Benitez having no class, well thats your opinion and you're entitled to it, but i couldnt disagree more, and i think the vast vast vast vast majority of football fans would be on my side in this one.
    Liverpool related
    Its quite clear that your dislike of Liverpool draws you into this thread anytime i post, as it did yesterday.
    Another mention of "Liverpool" - u just cant help yourself can you
    Villa fansites were calling for the FA to take action over Liverpool and Barry situation, will they do the same now? THATS hypocrisy.
    Barry thread
    People on this very thread very bragging about how AV would never comment on players they were interested in, well today, their smug elitest attitude has come back and bit them in the arse as A DIRECTER at their club has commented on a possible transfer target. Thats hypocrisy.
    Yes, we geddit, nobody said otherwise. Is that it or are you gonna keep banging that drum all Summer long?
    Villa fans accussed Steven Gerrard of "tapping up" Gareth Barry when he talked about wanting him to play at Liverpool next year and the possibility of it...
    Barry/Liverpool thread related
    Ronaldo wants to leave Utd for more money and to inflate his ego. Gerrard wanted to leave Liverpool as he didnt think they could compete at the highest level, the situations are totally different as i have pointed out.
    ManU/Liverpool thread related

Because this is not really to do with Barry, its to do with The General and Bentley and Aston Villa fans hypocrisy, with reference to the Barry situation...this thread is more suited to it. You yourselves makes reference to Barry in this thread occassionally, the rules are the exact same for me as for you.

I'm off to a gig anyway, but i wont be told to leave this thread by anyone. If you dont like my posts, ignore me. otherwise, keep stum please.
    It's hard to ignore someone acting in an obnoxious manner and your presence here is quite clearly counter productive to healthy discussion. You've done nothing except given us a common enemy. L****pool are now my least favourite team by a long way.

FWIW, I hope we bleedin' stuff yiz on 30th August :)

Savman, partially quoting me you can make my post out to be about anything you want, your no better than a sleazy journalist doing that. you know my post was more to do with The General and Bentley, granted the reason i feel the need to post is because of Villa fans reactions to the Rafa/GB incident, but its is the lack of reaction in a similar situation from Villa fans that i am pointing out here.

And funny, i seem to remember you lambasting Monkey9 earlier for attributing the blame at going OT on you when it was Des who originally mentioned Liverpool, well i am doing the same now to you for not lambasting PvtPoker for bringing up his feelings on Rafa,Me,Gerrard,Ronaldo in the Aston Villa thread, or is it acceptable to you because he is having a go at me?
    It's hard to ignore someone acting in an obnoxious manner and your presence here is quite clearly counter productive to healthy discussion. You've done nothing except given us a common enemy. L****pool are now my least favourite team by a long way.

FWIW, I hope we bleedin' stuff yiz on 30th August :)

there is an ignore poster feature that will stop my posts showing up. i would hope you wouldnt use it simple because i have a viewpoint you disagree with, but if you need to, fire away.

my feelings for Villa are similar this year btw :)

• Advertisement

And funny, i seem to remember you lambasting Monkey9 earlier for attributing the blame at going OT on you when it was Des who originally mentioned Liverpool, well i am doing the same now to you for not lambasting PvtPoker for bringing up his feelings on Rafa,Me,Gerrard,Ronaldo in the Aston Villa thread, or is it acceptable to you because he is having a go at me?
    Yes it's perfectly acceptable, because your track record around here is dogshit. You just don't know when to quit and you playing dumb and walking the line with trolling won't endear you with anyone with half a brain that can see what you're at.

This is no longer about Gareth Barry, now you seem to have some kind of mental block about Villa, I dunno what your major malfunction is but maybe it's a sign of the times when L****pool fans get obsessed about the goings on at Villa Park, we must be doing something right.

it's a sign of the times when L****pool fans get obsessed about the goings on at Villa Park, we must be doing something right.

eemmmmm selling us your best player perhaps?!:confused:

Your honour, the defence rests :rolleyes:

no, i was just pointing out why my sudden interest in Villa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Ashley Young?

DSB wrote: »
    Ashley Young?

actually you're right, apologies.

second best player and captain.

Al i dont mind you posting here usually but if someone was to put on the ignore poster featue they would still see that the last couple of pages were discussing Barry/Liverpool/You and the general being wrong (which all Villa fans already admitted). It would make for a really bad read tbh so unless you want InvincibleIrish back in the liverpool thread trying to knock liverpool fans off their high horse then please leave it. You dont need a mod to remove you you have sense and can see that several people here have politley or not requested your departure, you have also said that you dont give a sh*t about the topic of conversation so please leave it alone.

Yours sincerly, BH

DSB wrote: »
    Ashley Young?
    Shhh!

actually you're right, apologies.

second best player and captain.
    Can someone please tell me that sarcy posts like this are not meant to antagonize? I don't get it, it's quite pathetic really. I think we're over Barry, so long as the cheque don't bounce.

• Advertisement

Villa have done it with Bentley a couple of times in the last few weeks
    no we havent

the general today was the first time anyone from villas upstairs crew said anything about bentley

no we havent

the general today was the first time anyone from villas upstairs crew said anything about bentley

Gardner commented on him a few weeks ago, which i think is a fair enough camparrison to Gerrard commenting on Barry.

So, one official and one player from each club commented.

Ok, i'm gonna bow out of this thread for a while after BHs request as he is the only one of ye with any manners.

Ok, i'm gonna bow out of this thread for a while after BHs request as he is the only one of ye with any manners.
    My heart bleeds for you.:rolleyes:

he confirmed the above to me in a PM he sent so although i have a feeling this thread will now go quiet for a while as we have already discussed todays info atleast the discussion will not be Villa fans vs Mr Alan.

in an attempt to get the thread back on track, So most people I would think believe we put in a bid for Bentley, do you think we will get him? Bentley on one side, Young on the other would be sweet.

Gardner commented on him a few weeks ago, which i think is a fair enough camparrison to Gerrard commenting on Barry.

gardner was asked if he would like bentley at villa and he said he would

christ if he was asked if hed like ronaldo at villa would you include that?

he confirmed the above to me in a PM he sent so although i have a feeling this thread will now go quiet for a while as we have already discussed todays info atleast the discussion will not be Villa fans vs Mr Alan.

in an attempt to get the thread back on track, So most people I would think believe we put in a bid for Bentley, do you think we will get him? Bentley on one side, Young on the other would be sweet.

we definitely put in a bid, its there in black and white

i would assume as i said before that its either a done deal or that he knocked us back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 845 ✭✭✭V1llianous

Villa vs FC Wii 1900 is kicking off at 6 p.m. there is commentary on the official site for any subscribers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

IMO Bentley favours the move to Spurs and is waiting for them to match Blackburn's valuation. Arsenal are entitled to 40% of anything over 3m Blackburn receive for Bentley. So if Blackburn want to net £10m from the deal, the bid has to be in and around the £15m mark. That's why Spurs are supposedly looking to clear out a lot of fringe players to generate revenue for the move. Only if they are unsuccessful in this effort can I see Bentley signing for Villa.

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Arsenal are entitled to 40% of anything over 3m Blackburn receive for Bentley. So if Blackburn want to net £10m from the deal, the bid has to be in and around the £15m mark..
    Ah ok didn't know that, certainly explains the unusually high starting price. Defo don't think Blackburn will let him go on the cheap bearing that in mind, 40% is a fairly huge markup.

Still reckon he could be Spurs bound. I have to be honest, I haven't seen a whole lot of the guy in action...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

He wouldn't suit Aston Villa, and he is still overrated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

He'd be an excellent signing for Villa, i fear Spurs is his first choice and we could end up with Lennon instead.

Its sad how some trolls on here have deflected attention away from the fact that today we've signed a really good player in Sidwell, i think he will force his way into the England squad in time. A 3 year contract seems a little short but i guess contracts mean f - all these days.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement