Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Villa Signings and General Rumours Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Tomthepost

He wouldn't suit Aston Villa, and he is still overrated.

Could not disagree with you more to be honest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

We're 6-0 up in the friendly so far against FC Wil

Harewood, Carew, Harewood, Delfouneso (with his first senior touch!), Maloney and Routledge with the goals in that order.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Neil3030 wrote: »
    We're 6-0 up in the friendly so far against FC Wil

Harewood, Carew, Harewood, Delfouneso (with his first senior touch!), Maloney and Routledge with the goals in that order.

was about to post that, this team started the game

GK. Taylor
    LB. Baker
    RB. Gardner
    CB. Laursen
    CB. Knight
    LW. Young
    CM. Petrov
    CM. Salifou
    RW. Routledge
    CF. Harewood
    CF. Carew

loads of subs hhave been made though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

ahahaha jesus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

FC Wii?

nintendo-wii-console.jpg

I know we're not allowed to get excited yet about Delfuenso and its only part timers but i dont care!

And I'd love to see Bentley at VP, hopefully Spurs wont match whatever Villa offer.

Match, well 2nd half report shamelessly robbed from another site
    full time 6-0

Villa made five changes at half-time and one of the substitutes - Delfouneso - added Villa's fourth with his first senior Villa touch on 47, firing into the roof of the net.

Another substitute - Maloney - made it five with a spectacular curling free-kick from 25 yards three minutes later.

Keeper Taini did well to block a rising angled drive from Routledge on 52 as the winger cut in from the right.

Maloney dispossessed Guenduez on 56 but saw his right-foot effort deflected onto the roof of the net.

Routledge added his name to the scoresheet on 59, cutting in from the right and planting a low drive with the outside of his right-boot into the far corner.

Maloney popped up on the left and cut in with a jinking run on 66 before seeing his low drive blocked by Taini.

The Wil keeper brilliantly denied Agbonlahor and then Maloney on 69 as Villa went in search of a seventh.

Debutant Baker sent a glancing header wide from Gardner's right-wing corner wide on 79.

Maloney chested wide from Gardner's right-wing centre four minutes later.

FC Wil: Taini, Bolay, Thiesson, Holenstein, Madry, Bellon, Guenduez, Gsell, Kardic, Alci , Tsimba. Subs: Keller, Matic, Bratic, Haziri, Lezcano, Christen, Kaiser, Totka, Laski, Huber.

VILLA: Taylor, Laursen, Young, Harewood, Carew, Knight, Salifou, Routledge, Petrov, Baker, Gardner. Subs: Agbonlahor (for Carew ht), Williams (for Salifou 75), Parish (for Taylor 77), Delfouneso (for Harewood ht), Reo-Coker (for Petrov ht), Stieber (for Knight 71), Albrighton (for Routledge 72), Osbourne (for Laursen ht), Maloney (for Young ht).

good to see the rout get a goal too

just bought my match ticket for the intertoto home leg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Great start to pre-season

i wont be counting any chickens til we play a decent team tbh

we might as well have been playing wexford youths

• Advertisement

Highlights from last night-

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

It's promising to see Delfouenso and Routledge get of the mark anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 845 ✭✭✭V1llianous

Savman wrote: »
    It's promising to see Delfouenso and Routledge get of the mark anyway

Especially as Delfouenso's goal came with his first senior touch - super sub in the making :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

Seems like Eidur Gudjohnsen's father/agent has ruled out ruled out his son/client moving to Villa for 'personal reasons'.
    "I have seen some speculation about Eidur and Aston Villa, but I don't think he was very keen on that"

"I think if he was to return to England he would prefer to go to London or Manchester rather than Birmingham".

"There are a few clubs interested, but there is nothing serious at the moment. I think he will leave Barcelona and he is keeping his options open at present."

Is Birmingham really that bad :confused: It's like he would be moving to Minsk or somewhere like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Raekwon wrote: »
    Seems like Eidur Gudjohnsen's father/agent has ruled out ruled out his son/client moving to Villa for 'personal reasons'.

Is Birmingham really that bad :confused: It's like he would be moving to Minsk or somewhere like that.

I read that but he has lived in London and Manchester(Bolton) before so that is probably the reason.

JPA wrote: »
    I read that but he has lived in London and Manchester(Bolton) before so that is probably the reason.

Yeah that's true, but most of the Villa players live outside of Birmingham anyway and commute so I don't really get his 'personal reasons'. Infact MON even lives in Buckinghamshire which is nearer to London then Birmingham.

Ah footballers these days are a fickle ol' bunch!

I wasn't going to mention this because it could possibly open up THAT debate again but Liverpool have signed Brazilian goalkeeper Diego Cavalieri from Palmeiras which basically leaves Scott Carson's future up in the air (well even future then it already was).

Do you thing Villa should swoop in with a £4m bid for him? (we have paid £2m already so Liverpool would be getting £6m in total making a £5m profit on a player they have never used and don't seem to want. Seems fair enough to me).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

I wasn't going to mention this because it could possibly open up THAT debate again but Liverpool has signed Brazilian goalkeeper Diego Cavalieri from Palmeiras which basically leaves Scott Carson's future up in the air (well even future then it already was).

Do you thing Villa should swoop in with a £4m bid for him? (we have paid £2m already so Liverpool would be getting £6m in total making a £5m profit on a player they have never used and don't seem to want. Seems fair enough to me).

Rafa/Liverpool do want Carson. Carson isnt willing to be 2nd choice though.

A Friedel/Guzan double act is on the cards for next season I reckon.

• Advertisement

Tusky wrote: »
    Rafa/Liverpool do want Carson. Carson isnt willing to be 2nd choice though.

Third choice you mean? I don't really blame him TBH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

I wasn't going to mention this because it could possibly open up THAT debate again but Liverpool have signed Brazilian goalkeeper Diego Cavalieri from Palmeiras which basically leaves Scott Carson's future up in the air (well even future then it already was).

Don't know if £4m would be enough - accoring to reports today there are two PL clubs who have bids in at the moment and a few clubs reportedly were interested in taking him on loan {Stoke, Boro, Blackburn and WBA are some of the reported interested clubs }

Don't know if people have seen this link
    Brad Friedel, Blackburn to Aston Villa - The Insider says: 4/5

The American goalkeeper's relationship with Villa owner Randy Lerner should sway the £2.5million deal the Midlanders' way despite interest in the 37-year-old veteran from Manchester City and Arsenal.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1034324/THE-INSIDER-Its-jeepers-keepers-Spurs-sell-Robbo-Rovers-release-Friedel--Guthrie-goes-Toon--Sunderland-close-Goian--Plus-inside-news.html

@ Helix

Sky Sports have just released their live TV schedule and the Villa v Liverpool game has been confirmed for Sunday 31 of August @ 4.00pm.

Televised Villa matches August - November:

Date|Match|Kickoff|Channel

Sunday 31 August 2008 | Aston Villa v Liverpool | 16:00 | Sky
    Monday 15 September 2008 | Tottenham v Aston Villa | 20.00 | Setanta
    Sunday 21 September 2008 | West Bromwich Albion v Aston Villa | 12.00 | Sky
    Monday 3 November 2008 | Newcastle v Aston Villa | 20.00 | Setanta
    Saturday 22 November 2008 | Aston Villa v Man United | 17.30 | Setanta

@ Helix

Sky Sports have just released their live TV schedule and the Villa v Liverpool game has been confirmed for Sunday 31 of August @ 4.00pm.

im only gonna get the first half so :mad:

im booked for the last flight home which is at 7.35

right, flights booked for the first half of the season. im going to:

26th july 2008 - villa v tbc - intertoto cup final
    30th august 2008 - villa v liverpool - prem
    27th september 2008 - villa v sunderland - prem
    18th october 2008 - villa v portsmouth - prem
    8th november - villa v middlesbrough - prem
    22nd november - villa v man united - prem
    29th november - villa v fulham - prem
    13th december - villa v bolton - prem

• Advertisement

You're a brave man booking all those. Being an overseas fan is very difficult with sky and setanta f-ing things up all the time.

the sky and setanta fixtures are out, so those fixtures are ok. the announced live games run til december, which is why my list stops in december. ill wait til the next round are announced before i book the next part of the season

plus its €20 return for flights at the minute, even if 2 get ballsed up im saving a fortune

Can't say I'm not envious Helix. Only heading over for the Inter-toto game myself. But I'm going to make a big banner saying:

MON, HELIX THINKS YOU'RE ****

:pac:

hahahahaha

if Brad friedel was signed id expect aa freidal/Guzan combo to be signed. Who better to get the guy settled and help him adjust to the premiership before being replaced by him.

• Advertisement

if Brad friedel was signed id expect aa freidal/Guzan combo to be signed. Who better to get the guy settled and help him adjust to the premiership before being replaced by him.

Source Tribal Football:

Chivas USA keeper Guzan hints Villa deal almost done
    tribalfootball.com - July 11, 2008

Chivas USA goalkeeper Brad Guzan has hinted he's on his way to Aston Villa.

After starring in Chivas' 1-1 draw with David Beckham's LA Galaxy today, Guzan was asked about the prospects of moving to Villa.

The USA international admitted "talks could be concluded over the next couple of days" and that he "hopes it works out for everyone involved".

Guzan added: "I'm very thankful to everyone at Chivas for the three years I've enjoyed here."

last seasons jerseys are half price on sports direct lads, i ordered the home and away on tuesday and they were here this morning

V1llianous wrote: »
    Televised Villa matches August - November:

Date|Match|Kickoff|Channel

Sunday 31 August 2008 | Aston Villa v Liverpool | 16:00 | Sky
    Monday 15 September 2008 | Tottenham v Aston Villa | 20.00 | Setanta
    Sunday 21 September 2008 | West Bromwich Albion v Aston Villa | 12.00 | Sky
    Monday 3 November 2008 | Newcastle v Aston Villa | 20.00 | Setanta
    Saturday 22 November 2008 | Aston Villa v Man United | 17.30 | Setanta

Extra games for Villa on Setanta Ireland:
    Saturday 16 August 2008 |Aston Villa v Man City | 15.00 | (Setanta Ireland)
    Saturday 15 November 2008 |Arsenal v Aston Villa | 15.00 | (Setanta Ireland)

Helix wrote: »

Same here :mad: Even Aer Lingus fly back at 7:25pm.

Might stay over night in Brum but then hotel cost and a sick day at work...........not really worth it TBH.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

Same here :mad: Even Aer Lingus fly back at 7:25pm.

Might stay over night in Brum but then hotel cost and a sick day at work...........not really worth it TBH.

im sure therell be a bit of banter in the pub pre-game anyway, so feck it itll still be a bit of craic

Esse85 wrote: »

He would be, he works with the Aston Villas Ladies Team - think his name is Don, he's quite active on Vital Villa.

bought a few things off him before actually, always excellent service and price

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 929 ✭✭✭sternn

Villa have agreed a fee for Brad Guzan, official!!

(its on www.avfc.co.uk)

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭wynters

Good news. Watched him play for the US national team against England at Wembley and he looked a bit nervy. Maybe it was just the occasion or something... He's relatively cheap though so I would hope there's another keeper on the way aswell.

Arsenal in for Barry now too apparently. Great news.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Helix wrote: »

Worth considering flying home from Bristol with Ryanair @ 22:10.

Train from New Street to Bristol Temple Meads at 18:10 and 19:10, both take 1hr 30min. Taxi to Bristol airport about 20min journey, or you can catch a bus from outside the train station. Definitely doable, especially with online check-in, Bristol airport is tiny, about 5mins from front door to departure gate.

Flight will cost you £38.40 plus cc charge. Train probably about £30 though.

http://nationalrail.co.uk/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Agreeing a fee wasn't really the issue with Guzan in the first place though, was it? It was the work permit. Will he get one this time?

DSB wrote: »
    Agreeing a fee wasn't really the issue with Guzan in the first place though, was it? It was the work permit. Will he get one this time?

It's not cut and dried but he has a far better chance now having played more internationals -
    Guzan's increased number of international appearances - he has been involved in five of the last eight internationals - means Villa are more hopeful of gaining Home Office approval.

In addition to his appearance against England, he has started against Sweden and Barbados and came off the bench against Switzerland, South Africa and Spain in internationals since October 2007.

I think he had something like 2 when we applied in Jan?

That oh so highly reliable judgement of talent - the highlight reel! Takes a while to load for me for some reason...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

I dare say, from that clip he reminds me of Robinson... :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

How can you say that? Those clips only show his good abilities while clearly lately we've mainly been seeing Robinson's bad side. Unless you're comparing him with Robinson's good shot stopping abilities which is fair enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

DSB wrote: »
    Unless you're comparing him with Robinson's good shot stopping abilities which is fair enough.

Robinson is shocking at shot stopping?!:confused:

right thats the sub keeper in, lets get the first choice in now

Barry out,

Guzan, Sidwell & Finnan in plus more than £9m if reports are to believed

not a bad start

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

This message is hidden because Mr Alan is on your ignore list.

Isn't is bliss in here :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement