Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Villa Signings and General Rumours Thread

1919293949597»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

how do you block people?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Helix wrote: »
    how do you block people?
    Click on username then click view public profile, then select user lists and add to ignore list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

FC Zurich 2-1 Aston Villa

Zurich scored twice from the penalty spot either side of an Agbonlahor goal. Sidwell got a 45 minute run out and young players like Delfouneso, Albrighton & Baker got a taste of the action.

Not the best result considering that the game with (most likely) OB Odense in the Intertoto Cup is just around the corner. Hopefully MON seen enough to know exactly what he can improve on and act fast on getting players in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

Villain wrote: »
    Click on username then click view public profile, then select user lists and add to ignore list.

Just used this function to block a certain Mr. I may start to enjoy reading this forum again now:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

Silll need a central defender, a pacey right winger, another right back and another striker............. But at least it isn't the end of august yet.

• Advertisement

shoutman wrote: »
    Silll need a central defender, a pacey right winger, another right back and another striker............. But at least it isn't the end of august yet.

I'd add a goalkeeper to that list because I wouldn't like to be going into next season with just Taylor & Guzan is the squad.

I actually don't think MON will bring in another striker because of the emergence of young Delfouneso. Four strikers is enough for now if we go with Carew & Gabby as starters and use Harewood & Fonzy as their back up.

As for a rightback I think we actually would need two.........Finnan & Hoyte would do the job nicely I think. I also wouldn't mind seeing another leftback in the squad to challenge Bouma because I don't see O'Halloran making an impact on the first team anytime soon.

Right winger = Bentley ;) (fingers crossed)

There are still question marks over our centrehalves. Laursen & Knight both gave away penos today and I don't think they work well as a pair as I think Knight brings their partnership down and Laursen has too work too hard to try and clean up his mess. I think if Laursen can stay fit and we bring in a decent centre half to partner him then we would have a solid foundation at the back, which is very important.

Apart from that I we are pretty much okay (unless of course we have an injury crisis).

shoutman wrote: »

I think all these who just completed a season in the EPL are realistic targets who would help improve the squad. Apart from the RM position, none are too costly.

GK: Friedal or Green

LB: Shorey

CD: Ben Haim is a good deal at £5m, looks like he's going to City though, pity cos he'd be a good addition, and being from Israel doesnt help.

RM: Bentley, SWP, Milner id like in that order

RB: Id take Finnan and Chimbonda, Finnan as part of the Barry deal and Chimbonda if he was available for <£3m

ST:I think maybe Doyle, i think Gabby is still hot and cold and still could end up on the right at times, Harewood hasnt the quality, and its too much too soon for Delfouneso

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

There are still question marks over our centrehalves. Laursen & Knight both gave away penos today and I don't think they work well as a pair as I think Knight brings their partnership down and Laursen has too work too hard to try and clean up his mess. I think if Laursen can stay fit and we bring in a decent centre half to partner him then we would have a solid foundation at the back, which is very important.

You seem to be forgetting Curtis Davies. Saw some links to Dorin Goian today. Would be decent and give us a fairly decent quartet of CBs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

JPA wrote: »
    You seem to be forgetting Curtis Davies. Saw some links to Dorin Goian today. Would be decent and give us a fairly decent quartet of CBs.

I don't think Knight comes under the bracket of fairly decent at all. He is atrocious.

I'd never forget about Davies ;) I think he is one of the most promising CB in the league but the thing is that he probably won't be back until November and even then he won't be match fit and could even suffer a set back in his recovery from injury.

I definitely think that we need another CB in the squad because if our defence is weak and we leak as many goals as we did last season then we will could struggle to build on our last two seasons plus we won't be in Europe very long (especially with the away goals rule).

• Advertisement

I think he's set his sights on September. We'll see how it goes.

I think he's set his sights on September. We'll see how it goes.

The WBA game on the 21st Sept

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

Esse85 wrote: »
    I think all these who just completed a season in the EPL are realistic targets who would help improve the squad. Apart from the RM position, none are too costly.

GK: Friedal or Green

LB: Shorey

CD: Ben Haim is a good deal at £5m, looks like he's going to City though, pity cos he'd be a good addition, and being from Israel doesnt help.

RM: Bentley, SWP, Milner id like in that order

RB: Id take Finnan and Chimbonda, Finnan as part of the Barry deal and Chimbonda if he was available for <£3m

ST:I think maybe Doyle, i think Gabby is still hot and cold and still could end up on the right at times, Harewood hasnt the quality, and its too much too soon for Delfouneso

I wouldnt say Green would be going too cheap, excellant goalkeeper and probaly one of the front runners to be Englands next number one.

I wouldnt say Green would be going too cheap, excellant goalkeeper and probaly one of the front runners to be Englands next number one.

He's got some way to go seen as he's never even played yet.

Anyway I think Friedel is on the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

He's got some way to go seen as he's never even played yet.

Anyway I think Friedel is on the way.
    Well if he continues his form from last season he has a very good chance imo. Friedel signing would make sense, very experienced and can help Guzan settle into the Premiership.

Villain wrote: »

oh man thats amazing

can we make sure nobody quotes him for the rest of this thread?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

didnt see it mentioned here but Danish side Odense beat TPS Turku 4-1 on aggregate to earn the right to play Aston Villa.

so we know our opponents now, they are who most expected id assume but Villa really should win, with or without new signings

it wont be as easy as some think imo

looking forward to watching the first leg on setanta, and then the second leg at villa park tho

your right I think a lot will be surprised (hopefully not though) with how tough a tie it might be especially in the first leg. I think Villa will have far too much for them at home though . Happy its on Setanta aswell

think this is bollocks but Howell at the Brum mail is at it again this time about Man Citys midfielder Micheal Johnson.
    Villa boss plans £10m City raid
    Jul 14 2008

VILLA boss Martin O’Neill has turned his attentions to Manchester City midfielder Michael Johnson as he attempts to build a squad capable of competing on two fronts next season.

O’Neill, who has already lodged a bid in excess of £10million for Blackburn Rovers’ winger David Bentley, is now thought to be interested in the former Everton schoolboy.

The 20-year-old is rumoured to be unhappy at not having financial parity at Eastlands and it is believed he could cost as much as £10million with Everton recently linked with a move having failed, like Villa, to prise Tom Huddlestone out of Tottenham.

City boss Mark Hughes will not want to lose a player of such high calibre but Johnson could force his hand even though he only signed a new four-year contract last August.

Following Villa’s defeat to Zurich at the weekend, O’Neill insisted new players are a must.

“We have got targets in mind – people we want to bring in. I’d love to be 100 per cent successful with every one that we target, but we would not be the only club doing that.

“We have started things off. We need to build the club up, we know that. Competition for places would be really healthy.

“We need to improve the team and we know where we need to improve the side.

“If we are going to contest things this season, and who knows we could be beaten in the InterToto Cup on Saturday, but if we are going to sustain a run in the Premier League and try and stay in other competitions, then we need the squad.”

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

SSN reporting Carson in talks with Stoke :confused: after L****pool accept fee of £3.5m :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭death1234567

Savman wrote: »
    SSN reporting Carson in talks with Stoke :confused: after L****pool accept fee of £3.5m :eek:
    Thank god we didn't go after him. He's Woeful.

Thank god we didn't go after him. He's Woeful.
    I wouldn't go that far. At that price, there aren't many better options out there. Certainly a 37yo £2.5m Friedel or a £5m flappy Robinson isn't a whole lot better value than a young Carson at £3.5m.

Stoke being the side supposidly about to sign him says something though. I lost confidence in Carson near the end of last season, think he lost confidence in himself after his england howler though.

from the pool thread
    However saw somewere else that while a £4m transfer fee had been agreed, Carson was currently in Stoke to discuss possible personal terms before going to West Brom to discuss terms with them as they have also met the £4m valuation.

would be funny if Scotty was part of Villa's opposition in this seasons midlands derby.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

would be funny if Scotty was part of Villa's opposition in this seasons midlands derby

More like:
    would be a guaranteed 3 points if Scotty was part of Villa's opposition in this seasons midlands derby

:P

I dunno, I think at the price being quoted it's not a bad bit of business at all, obviously MON has other ideas...

I think its good business for Stoke or West Brom not for Villa but thats just cos i dont want Scott Carson no.1 for Villa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Tomthepost

Well Lads it looks like we won't be getting Bentley. Funny all the same he will be putting all them lovely crosses in and there will be nobody at 'Spuds' to finish them off:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭wynters

Linked with a new name I see... tidy little player... would suit Villa in terms of profile - young, English. Wouldn't think City would want to lose him, but if they're bidding for the likes of Ronaldinho???? Who knows...!

Interesting...

Villa boss plans £10m City raid
    Jul 14 2008

by Bill Howell, Birmingham Mail.

VILLA boss Martin O’Neill has turned his attentions to Manchester City midfielder Michael Johnson as he attempts to build a squad capable of competing on two fronts next season.

O’Neill, who has already lodged a bid in excess of £10million for Blackburn Rovers’ winger David Bentley, is also now thought to be interested in the former Everton schoolboy.

The 20-year-old is rumoured to be unhappy at not having financial parity at Eastlands and it is believed he could cost as much as £10million with Everton recently linked with a move having failed, like Villa, to prise Tom Huddlestone out of Tottenham.

City boss Mark Hughes will not want to lose a player of such high calibre but Johnson could force his hand even though he only signed a new four-year contract last August.

Following Villa’s defeat to Zurich at the weekend, O’Neill insisted new players are a must.

“We have got targets in mind – people we want to bring in. I’d love to be 100 per cent successful with every one that we target, but we would not be the only club doing that.

“We have started things off. We need to build the club up, we know that. Competition for places would be really healthy.

“We need to improve the team and we know where we need to improve the side.

“If we are going to contest things this season, and who knows we could be beaten in the InterToto Cup on Saturday, but if we are going to sustain a run in the Premier League and try and stay in other competitions, then we need the squad.”

wynters wrote: »
    Linked with a new name I see... tidy little player... would suit Villa in terms of profile - young, English. Wouldn't think City would want to lose him, but if they're bidding for the likes of Ronaldinho???? Who knows...!

Interesting...
    posted that exact story a few hours ago, cant see it happening as hes not what we need and yet would cost around 10m supposidly. wouldent say no though. He reminds me of what we would like Osbourne to be

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Johnson is a very good little player from wat i've seen of him. We've been linked with him. Would be an excellent buy for yous imo.

have to agree with Alan (not that i expect many of you can see his posts anymore) Johnson would be a great signing but I just cant see it atm. as we have Sidwell, NRC, Petrov and Barry (he's still a Villa player) vying for CM with Gardner, Salifou & Osbourne backup. Its the one position i dont expect strenghtening in during this transfer window. Especially while GK (a no.1), RB, RM, backup LB/CB and more competition upfront perhaps are bigger priorities.

...hope im wrong. and i suppose when Barry departs (Alonso's deal with Juve is dead will that affect things) competition like Johnson in CM would be brilliant

MON chatting about Guzan who it seems will only cost Villa around 650k
    Sooner the better for American Brad Guzan
    Jul 14 2008

VILLA will shell out a six-figure sum for keeper Brad Guzan because he is out of contract with Chivas USA in six months.

The fee is understood to be in the region of £650,000 for a player who has been heavily courted across Europe, by Celtic north of the border and other clubs in the Premier League.

“He was out of contract in January and able to sign a pre-contract in that case,’’ said manager Martin O’Neill.

“We would prefer it if we could get him over now because every week that he could come and work over here would suit us.

“I’m not saying it would necessarily suit his club but he is keen to come over and play in the Premiership.

“With the MLS and the football club (Chivas) needing something out of it, the fee wouldn’t leave them a bare bone by any stretch of the imagination but it is not the £2million as reported.”

O’Neill is now looking to push through his interest in Blackburn’s Brad Friedel to act as a mentor to Guzan for a short time.

He said: “It would be great if he could come in because I see some potential in him, and I think he has got more than that.

“He is following in a line of American goalkeepers who have come over here and done fantastically well.”

“Brad Friedel, in particular, has been brilliant for the last seven or eight years. You have to say that Tim Howard has done exceptionally well, and I had the privilege of signing Kasey Keller from Milwall at Leicester City who did exceptionally well for us.

“So those goalkeepers have proved a point and from the conversations I have had with him, Brad has exactly the same ambition and hopefully has exactly the same mentality.”

Guzan told the Birmingham Mail of his desire to move to Villa following England’s friendly win over the USA at Wembley in May.

O’Neill added: “He would like to come and that is why we have pursued it."

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement