Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Laptop keeps losing connection

• 14-08-2006 11:01am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭

My laptop keeps losing the connection to my wireless router. For a while it was intermittent and I tried lots of things to try and diagnose it without success. It used to be that restarting the Laptop would let you reconect but now I can't. I disabled the internal wireless and tired a WLAN PC card from another machine and it works fine. The wireless router also has a PC wored directly to it on a ehternet port and that has no problems with the connection.

So I assuming my Laptop's internal WiFi cards is failing. Anything else it could be and how would I check?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Turn off power saving.
    Update drivers for card & firmware for router.
    This is a recorded message...This is a recorded message...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

Karoma wrote:
    Turn off power saving.
    Update drivers for card & firmware for router.
    This is a recorded message...This is a recorded message...

Logically. If there was a problem with powersaving and/or the router then the otherWLAN card would be similarly effected no? As for drivers, the Laptop has been in use for 3 yrs I don't see why the existing drivers would work ok for years, then start to not work. Besides I've done fresh install of OS and drivers numerous times trying to solve this. But perhaps you can give a logical reason for all three items rather than being condecending. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

If there was a problem with powersaving and/or the router then the otherWLAN card would be similarly effected no?
    No. Different cards work better than others. Intel cards that are part of the centrino chipset suffer from power saving related performance problems. Switching off this, can help.
    As for drivers, the Laptop has been in use for 3 yrs I don't see why the existing drivers would work ok for years, then start to not work.
    From what you have said it sounds like the problem was always there. Updating drivers is a valid solution and can often offer performance boosts. Same goes for firmware. I personally update all my drivers for every device that I can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joePC

If you have WAP enabled be sure to setup the auth with the exact key instead of the paraphrase, this can cause issues like the one described.

irlrobins wrote:
    No. Different cards work better than others. Intel cards that are part of the centrino chipset suffer from power saving related performance problems. Switching off this, can help.

Ummm. Does that not still point to a problem with the wifi card? Its not a Centrino Laptop its a Sony HP896, the card is a "Lan-Express AS IEEE 802.11g miniPCI Adapter" and based on your info I found this info

http://hardwareanalysis.com/content/topic/32330/

I'm testing this out, though my settings are a little different, but at a first glance it doesn't seem to be helping. I'll experiment with a few settings.
    irlrobins wrote:
    From what you have said it sounds like the problem was always there. Updating drivers is a valid solution and can often offer performance boosts. Same goes for firmware. I personally update all my drivers for every device that I can.

Actually is hasn't been always there its only started happening over the past year. Sony doesn't update these drivers very often, and I haven't had any success in solving the problem with any other drivers. But I'm open to suggestions.

• Advertisement

joePC wrote:
    If you have WAP enabled be sure to setup the auth with the exact key instead of the paraphrase, this can cause issues like the one described.

I was using WPA but had to switch back WEP to get another machine on the network. I am using a an exact key now, though I was using a paraphrase with WPA. I'm having the same problem regarless of which method of security I use though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Ummm. Does that not still point to a problem with the wifi card?
    By "power saving" I mean the power saving option of the wireless card. Not the general power saving option available under Control Panel.

irlrobins wrote:
    By "power saving" I mean the power saving option of the wireless card. Not the general power saving option available under Control Panel.

yup, via the hardware device properties etc. Like in the link I posted. Mine is set to powersaving off by default, so its always been like this AFAIK. Preamble' to "Long only" I'm trying now, but its still disconnecting. £"$"!$!£$"!£$£"$. Any thoughts on why or how a restrart fixes it temporarily? Renewing the IP doesn't help when I do that manually.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Just a long shot but have you tried changing the channel in the wireless router or checked netstumbler to see if there are any new networks around?

Have you tried your laptop with any other wireless connections to see if it stays connected?

Would you have messed up your g/b settings in the router when you connected the other laptop?

dub45 wrote:
    Just a long shot but have you tried changing the channel in the wireless router or checked netstumbler to see if there are any new networks around?

Have you tried your laptop with any other wireless connections to see if it stays connected?

Would you have messed up your g/b settings in the router when you connected the other laptop?

Theres a bunch of new networks around alright. Don't have easy access to another network to try it out. I could bring it into work and see what it picks up, as theres a few around there. Haven't changed any g/b settings, at least none that I'm aware of. What settings are you thinking of.

• Advertisement

That atheros client and the MS patch seem to have fixed it. Last time I searched for info on this I didn't find them. Lets hope it stays connected. Thanks for all your help and suggestions guys. Appreciated.

Advertisement