Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DNS issues

Options
  • 14-08-2006 11:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭

I have three sites hosted in the States, all with the same provider. Over the weekend, one by one they have become unreachable. This is due to not being able to resolved the addresses to ip's.

At first I couldn't connect to one of them on my ISP (IBB) while a friend on eircom could. But today all three don't resolve. Currently on heanet network but http://blacknight.ie/dns/ shows that none of the irish isp's can resolve.

What is the best way of fixing this? Will it fix itself after a certain amount of time once any dns change causing this has filtered thru? Or should I contact my ISP asap (their support is shite however and I don't expect a speedy response).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Contacting the DNS provider (which is usually the host provider), is the best way. It looks like they don't have a proper distributed DNS setup, from what you've described.

.cg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Wouldn't be surprised. They're shit. I'm moving to an irish hosting in two months once contract is up.

I've contacted them, now have to wait for them to arrive in work (they're 8 hours behind) and to actually bother doing something. No bets taken on them responding with some crap that has nothing to do with my problem.

I got my sis in UK to try and she can't reach sites either.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

A lot of the small to medium US providers don't seem to be very good at managing DNS.. We get a lot of issues with them when people register their .ie domains through us and then want to point them to a US host....
    *sigh*

Well finally got the problem sorted. Two of the domains started resolving on their own accord, but one still wasn't. Contacted support, was told it was working. Told them it wasn't and pointed out none of the irish isp's were able to resolve, nor UK ones. They responded saying that dnsstuff says it was working. Pointed out to them that it didn't. After a bit a few more "it's fixed." "it's not" messages they told me that my nameservers were wrong.

So basically they changed my name servers but never informed me. How clever. Grr!

So yea, moving somewhere closer to home as soon as I can convince boss to.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

irlrobins - we had one poor guy last week trying to get a .ie to work with a US host... The host couldn't decide on the nameservers.. I think we went through 5 sets before they finally gave us the IP :)

• Advertisement

Don't worry, I'm in touch with Jimmy as we speak. ;)

Advertisement