Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Broadband

Options
  • 14-08-2006 11:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭

Hi, was looking at signing up to Irish Broadband, its on a wireless network with no requirement for a land line in house which is ideal as I live in a rented house without an installed landline. Just wondering if anyone has had experience with this company? How does the broadband connection fair (ie ever crash or lack of service)? I live in Galway city if thats any help

Cheers
    Pa

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Moved to broadband forum

• Registered Users Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

They are terrible. You might get lucky and be in one of the areas in Dublin where they seem to work fine but for the vast majority of users they are rubbish. Look the survey of BB providers in the stickey and ya will see that about 1 in 3 customers on boards.ie are happy with them. If yer willing to take that risk go for it. Also look into other non phone line otpions like www.digiweb.ie if its in youre are go for that instead.

Here is the packet loss I was getting yesterday.
    Ping statistics for 217.146.92.74:
    Packets: Sent = 200, Received = 100, Lost = 100 (50% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 33ms, Maximum = 4479ms, Average = 170ms

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

IBB do 2 products.

1. Ripwave (the BB in a Box product) which is a pice of **** of the highest order
    2. Breeze which requires an external antenna install. It works well in Galway because its not oversold (yet) , IBB have oversold and overloaded some masts of theirs .

If you decide to go option 2 you may as well consider Digiweb Metro as you are getting an aerial installed anyway. This works well in Galway .

If you DO NOT want an antenna or a 12 month contract in your current house the best PORTABLE souutions are the Vodafone 3g data card for €49 a month or Clearwire (freedom) for €30 a month.

I would note that these 2 portable products work fine but genrally for browsing and email and instant messaging only not file sharing or regular huge downloads or voip .

• Registered Users Posts: 18 philipjmurphy

Don't do it man. I've had problems with them for ages and I'm in Dublin. One of the main issues has been with packet drop out. I've direct line of sight to their high site so obstructions don't seem to be a problem. I can only put it down to their radio/server technology.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭gordonnet

stay away from them, their products are crap and their tech support is not much better.

• Advertisement

I dont think those people are tech support only phone answers who pass it on to the few techs they really have.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,583 ✭✭✭✭kippy

There are numerous topics on IBB in these forums. Most negative.
    Personally, I had their 2 meg breeze product in the galway area for about a year. No major problems with it at all. But I believe if you do have problems you may never get them fixed.
    Kippy

• Registered Users Posts: 13,994 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Dont let the myth fool you. The packet loss is rarely between you and the mast. Its all internal on Ibbs network, which shows the poor setup that Ibb run on. Proper investment and good support staff would have solved a lot of their problems.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

I think it depends on where you are. I'm in Swords on the airport mast and it's been rock solid for about 3 months. Find out if the people near you are having a good or bad experience and then make your decision. My next door neighbour is on IBB too and they've had no probs. That helped me with my decision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 bigyin2002

IBB have added lots of new sites during the last 6 months which I'm told helps with capacity issues from before. I had ripwave service which was good for general web surfing, now upgrading to breeze for a faster connection. No problems to date, hopefully now a thing of the past. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Stibman

ahh jesus crist lads its gettin worse its just as bad as as dail up now

A WARNIN FOR EVERYONE STAY AWAY FROM IBB THERE SERVICE IS GOOD FOR THE 1ST TWO WEEKS AND THEN THEY JUST DONT GIVE TO F***S ABOUT YE FECKIN SCUM BAGS :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

here budy im with BREEZ its crap scrap it quick losein me conection every 15 seconds its feckin useless

It also depends on what ya use the net for, if I was just a downloader and the occasional web browser the connection im getting atm I would find fine. But want to use mine for gaming and VIOP and it it terriable for this, voice breaks up and I get kicked off so many gaming servers cause of. But sime times about 50% of the time it works ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭ladgie353

I've been with then on Breeze for 2 years now, never had a problem.
    I was on 1Mb symetrical and was upgraded to 2Mb without having to ask for anything.
    I use it to browse, play (a bit) and have a webserver.
    Never used their support so can't judge them on that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds

Ok so for Galway city breeze seem the best? Was going to go with IBB

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Ok so for Galway city breeze seem the best? Was going to go with IBB

This thread is over two years old, die zombie die!!! :eek:

MC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

AFAIK IBB were recently bought by imagine. If this is true, do not order their service as it is only going one way.

I had Breeze for a year in Maynooth. It was fine at the start but in the end contention was kicking in bad and not just at peak times.

Advertisement