Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do dogs recognize you more by sight or scent?

Options
  • 14-08-2006 11:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,282 ✭✭✭

Had a funny one yesterday. I have a red setter and a little collie, both of whom are very mild tempered.
    Yesterday, I was just out of the shower, and my hair was all brushed forward (compared to usually brushed back Elvis stylee) and I was told I looked completely different. I walked into the conservatory and the red setter saw me and went mental!! I could tell by the way he was holding his head that he was confused about who I was, and he continued to bark at me as long as I stood there.
    When I opened the door, instantly he came running over to me, and was cool again and nice and playful, as normal. It just made me wonder, does a pet dog recognize you more by scent than sight? I've had him 4 years, so its not like he hasnt had a chance to get to know me, dodgy hairstyle or not.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Jotter

My dad wanted to see how his dog would react to an intruder so went upstairs and turned off the lights. He then snuck down keeping close to the walls (silly I know!) but the dog went nuts ran out to the hall and pinned him against wall. My dad had to hastily turn on lights and talk to the dog before he backed down (its not a game hed repeat in a hurry!) The dog is a boxer and doesnt have the best sense of smell so can only guess that he recognised from voice and then from sight - either that or he was teaching my dad a lesson in dont tease the dog!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

I'd say recognition is a combination of several things: smell, sight, typical movements, voice and behavioral patterns.

When you change some of these things it'll take the dog just that bit longer to recognise you by the remaining features.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭animan

my dog goes crazy at me even if i come in with a golf club in my hands so i say sight

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

animan wrote:
    my dog goes crazy at me even if i come in with a golf club in my hands so i say sight

Try coming in the door on all fours or in a handstand ...it'll go crazy then as well.

Anything out of the ordinary ...outside the ingrained daily routine ...will at first upset or at least somewhat confuse the dog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭golden

It really depends on the breeding ie the greyhounds are sight dogs while the spaniels are scent dogs

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Dogs are basicly sniffers. In complete darkness three dogs I know (at a neighbours) will happily let me in the gate even though they could'nt tell it was me visualy.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

I bought a new motorbike once and when I first arrived home on it and took off my helmet the dog obviously thought I was a stranger - and even more annoying (for him) a stranger who did not seem to be afraid of him (he was a doberman)

I wondered what was happening for a while before I realised he did not recognise me. It was only when I spoke to him that he knew me but gave me a very confused 'what a way to have a midlife crisis' kind of look.:p

I suppose it was all the new motor bike gear and my hair being flattened by the helmet that threw him. :rolleyes:

Advertisement