Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Getting a mechanic to look over a car before a sale?

Options
  • 14-08-2006 12:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I am looking to buy a car through a private ad in the buy and sell. I've never done this before so I'm not sure what the best way to go about it is regarding getting a reliable mechanic to assess the car.

Do I ask the seller to bring the car somewhere, or should the mechanic go to the seller etc?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,239 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I got the seller to bring the car to the mechanic. Most people have no problems doing this if there's a genuine interest to buy and tbh, paying someone to give the car a once over for you is a good indication that you're serious about buying.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

Yeah didnt think of it in that way. I live in Rathmines, and dont know any mechanics personally. Does anyone have any recommendations?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭gstonesmx5

theaa.ie have a service and you could also check around the net for others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭cargrouch

The AA is a pricey( looked into it but didn't use it in the end). I suppose it's all relative to the sum you're thinking of paying for the car though! But if you don't know any good mechanics then it could be an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

i have had mechanics look at cars i've sold. i had two people ask me to bring other cars to mechanics (which i've done). and i've never had a mechanic look at a car i was buying myself (no wonder i've had a string of heaps).

is it another civic, cianos?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭clint_silver

I rang carcheck

http://www.carbuyerscheck.com

and the guy who runs it is based in rathmines somewhere. Hes chargin 160 which I still think is a bit steep. I ended up calling into the local garage (nowhere near rathmines, sorry) when needing this service recently and got the mechanic there to check out the car for 70euro. got all the same info that carbuyerscheck seems to give. Up to yourself though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭Archeron

Just be careful who you get. One of my cars, I got one of those "ah sure I know a bloke" kind of mechanics. He gave the car the all clear and missed about €3000 worth of repair work that had to be done. I had feck all comeback, so essentially, I paid some idiot €50 to look at my car and say, yup, she's fine, when in fact it was anything but.

I know the AA are dear, but I think its worth it for peace of mind. Mind you, I've never used them for this, but with the reputation they have to uphold, I cant imagine them screwing you over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭DrivingInfo

If you need to find mechanics take a look at this link www.drivinginfo.ie
    You can also try this www.cartell.ie

i hope this will help..

Brian

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

Archeron wrote:
    Just be careful who you get. One of my cars, I got one of those "ah sure I know a bloke" kind of mechanics. He gave the car the all clear and missed about €3000 worth of repair work that had to be done. I had feck all comeback, so essentially, I paid some idiot €50 to look at my car and say, yup, she's fine, when in fact it was anything but.

I know the AA are dear, but I think its worth it for peace of mind. Mind you, I've never used them for this, but with the reputation they have to uphold, I cant imagine them screwing you over.

I kinda agree with this. Can be hard to get a independent guy to tear himself out of his gararge. I've tried main dealers, in the past and they are all pretty rubbish. Friends and family have used AA and generally have had a good experience. Though I remember people on the boards saying they had a negative experience with them.

Advertisement