Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ice Broadband

Options
  • 14-08-2006 12:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭

Hi Lads

anyone using ice broadband in the swords BallyBogill area. One of the girls in work is thinking about signing up for it . the cont ratio is 40:1 which is high but i doubt many people are using it.
    They are offering VOIP as part of package . any one heard any feedback.

Cheers......

http://www.icecomms.net/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭dancin

A friend of mine in swords has this about 2 months. They live in River Valley. Service so far has been reliable and fast. They like it.
    Engineer installed it and ran cable from the aeriel on the roof to the computer room, neat job. Configured the computer well.

Good experience so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭Adey2002

I have Icecomms in Clondalkin. Fast downloads and low pings. No problems with it recently, although I did have a problem early this year that took about 6 weeks to sort out but since then has been fine. I'd say Icecomms is one of the better wireless providers available. The downside is they are a bit pricey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Mark1

Hi this is my first try at this not a lot of instructions but here goes

I live on border of Clondalkin and Lucan out of range of digiweb and breeze had not heard of icecomms so joined up with clearwire. What they told me before I joined and experience since. voip, (skype) but only if you understand goldfish, no p2p, if you need a file larger than you can email no chance, supposed to be a 2Mbps connection most of afternoon evening it hovers around 200-220kbps am going to see if i can get icecomms then see about cancelling contract with clearwire

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭JimmySmith

We have ice broadband. Was great over the last year but is getting more flaky now. A friend who knows a guy working them tells me that as they sign up more people they are getting contention which is causing problems now.
    It was fine while less people were on it.
    Ice is expensive too as broadband packages go. Also their VOIP service is very expensive.
    Overall though i'm happy with the service, as long as they sort out the contention soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭cubix

I see they are doing free installations for the month of August so probally wont help ratios:rolleyes: . The one thing I like is they say for your €38 yoyo's a month there is no D/L limit.

Cubix

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭soccerc

Switched to Ice Broadband last week and am very happy with service. I am in Clondalkin and doesn't seem to be any huge contention with ping time son occasion <1 but generally around the <10 sec response.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Would it be suitable for xbox 360 live purposes? I am living on the Rath lane near Rolestown in North County Dublin and its my only way of getting anything other than really crappy dial up, 28.8 is as good as it gets here in the sticks.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭higster

i've it in celbridge, 2mbs package, fast, reliable, no probs...though is expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 13,994 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Its wireless right? Then sooner or later they will have booked out the mast and the contention ratio will come into play.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Hate bringing up an old thread but does anyone here use Ice for gaming??

Seriously considering getting rid of my Eircom DSL as all Ive had in the last few weeks is nothing but problems--now they tell me they may have to replace the cable under the ground(in the garden) for the second time in 6 months---Its fine for voice but crap for data and my BB signal keeps dropping.

Ice broadband and voip seem to be the way to go but pings are whats going to swing my decision either way.

Im in Celbridge(Crodaun) by the way if theres anyone here in that area that has Ice installed and can let me know what the pings are like.

Thanks
    Richie.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 44 DonalMcTavish

pings to anywhere have been 4000ms (yes thousand) minimum to anywhere over the last 2 months.
    Has anyone who posted here before september had a good service from ice since september?
    noone i know has been satisifed with ice for the last 2 months.
    Most have had to revert to dialup.
    I'm getting really annoyed with their pathetic service now.
    I'm grasping at straws here searching for good news, but if there is even i icecomms customer who is getting proper broadband at least there would be hope that they might fix it, but 2 months is a long time to have problems without them fixing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 philmurtagh

I think this is fixed now. Pings times were varying from 8 to 4000ms. Seems to have been OK for last 2 weeks - seems they are upgrading network.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

What area are you in phil cause it's still the same in the Ashbourne area. Goes from excellent speeds right down to 10k per sec.

Ours has been perfect for a week now.
    Constant top speeds and pings less than 30 ms.

This is the longest its been ok in months

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

I have to say fair play to you, McTavish - there are plenty of people who would have complained on here, and then not bothered to post back when good service resumed.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭higster

miserable...700 down speed using onspeed, 650 down and 67 up using blacknight and i'm paying for 2mb both ways, they are promising resolution be mid week but has been pure rubbish last 2 months,

Hellrazer...i live in celbridge

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭EyeDeeOne

well im still getting crappy pings.

havent gotten an improvement at all..

Its just really un reliable, it might say im getting a 30ms ping and then by the time i open a game its like 394780934903284903284284ms

really frustrating : )

Donal - what area are you in?

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭uRbaN

hrm was condering getting ICE in Ashbourne. Im only a stones throw from Riordans garage and Eircom are still reluctant to give me a phone line...The thought of signing up for 12 months with the posibility of irratic pings is putting me off though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭cubix

Was in the same boat myself Urban, I am in JohnsWood. At the time Ice were offering free installations a saving of €150 I think. In the end I went the Dsl route and have to say all the years I have used different dsl providers while not as fast as most wireless solutions nearly always rock solid. I am hoping by the time digiweb get down this way with their metro product it will be a lot more stable and I can ditch the landline for good

Cubix

• Advertisement

mick_irl wrote:
    Donal - what area are you in?

Rolestown.

Its still perfect.
    I suggest you post your speed and pings here every day or in my other thread every day and call Icecomms every single day too. Keep calling til you get an answer. If you are told it is only you with a problems, Reqest an engineer to 'fix' your 'faulty' equipment. If its not fixed, request him again.
    Thats what worked here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

€99.99 installation fee :(

Am getting max pauses over 20000ms this morning. Service was reasonably ok yesterday until last night when it went unusable again.

Upload speeds seem grand, but download is chronic.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭EyeDeeOne

they are good when its off peak times.. with those times being lets say 1am - 9am
    then its back to the ****ters : )

sucks now that i have a job i dont get to stay up all night so i can finally play a game :/

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Hody

So what would be the alternatives to ICE?! Clearwire, Irish Broadband?! Or will it be like choosing between pest and cholera?!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭smokingman

I'm in Athy and looking for a reliable, low contention gaming/home office package. Anyone know if Ice are any good these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Hody

Just had to find out that both Digiweb and ICE will mount some kind of device on the roof and run a cable from there into the house. Does anybody maybe have experience with this and knows how much drilling this involves.

I am just tenant at the new address and I need to explain and gain permission from my landlord to go ahead with this. So any bit of information would be great

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭pm.

is ice available in mullingar, im with last mile and there speed is very slow 512 dl, or would it be a case of out of the pan into the fire.

Advertisement