Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

List of old Parkway tennents - need help!

Options
  • 14-08-2006 12:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Im doing some research on the Parkway Shopping Centre and i was wondering if anyone could remember the names of any of the old shops that used to be in the Parkway - preferably from the 80's and 90's. And also the types of stuff that the shops sold. It would really help me out. Thanks! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

ah that's a hard one since i can only remember the parkway from around 1995 i guess im of no help. all though i do remember the multi-coloured emergency exit doors and when Burger King used to be a Trolly bay! oh and you cant forget the Fire in Dunnes in 2001!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭golden

the link is one of the letting agents for some retail space in the Parkway.
    http://www.joneslanglasalle.ie/NR/rdonlyres/D8D4D00A-9E58-46E1-A8B1-C3179EAE7DCC/8634/Parkway1.pdf. they might be able to point you in the direction that you want to go also if they dont have the retailers names they might have a contact name or number for the management company of the Parkway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭maebee

simon_2fm wrote:
    Im doing some research on the Parkway Shopping Centre and i was wondering if anyone could remember the names of any of the old shops that used to be in the Parkway - preferably from the 80's and 90's. And also the types of stuff that the shops sold. It would really help me out. Thanks! :)

From 1985 to 1988 I worked in Cassidy's (ladies fashions, part of Dunnes Stores) in the Parkway. Our shop was where Sasha (I think ?) is now. The shopping centre ended there. There was no extension then. I think, but could be wrong that Cassidys and Dunnes were the only 2 stores there at that time. Hope that helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭scrattletrap

Don't forget Katie's slap bang in the middle of the place, with their greasy jumbo sausage beans and chip.... what more could any kid ask for.

And was it News Stop that was where the Bag Shop is now, that was such a small expensive shop.

Cards n Things, that was where No Name is now I think.
    Wilson Bros, meat and fish (it was there in 1986, don't know for how long though, they had a store in the Crescent too)
    Mr. Mac's, Bakery, c. 1990
    M.F. Dougan Opticians, c. 1991 (unit 32)
    Delta City, Fast Food Restaurant, (where was this?)
    Parkway Meats, Tim Shelly, (was that the one where Quigleys is now, where you could get two chickens for £5)
    Something Else, Closed about 1990.

What you need to do is check the old trade directories and phone books, I think there are trade directories from the 80's in the Library, I'm not sure about the 90's though you might have to ask in city hall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Other shops I remember:

Music Lane - Music shop
    Hugo's - Men's cloths shop
    Kylemore Bakery - Cake shop
    Person to Person - Mobile Phone store
    Pound City - cheapish pound shop type store
    Hardware/DIY shop, cannot remember the name though

There were a good few kiosks in the middle also such as the Kodak camara and shoe repair kiosks which were there for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Music Lane and the Hrdware shop are closing down soon. Oh and there used to be the ice cream kiosk in the centre before!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

There used to be a Vodafone shop where Quigleys is now.

To be honest, I'm not surprised Music Lane is going. Poor selection, high prices and their niche instrument market wasn't great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

chrislad wrote:
    There used to be a Vodafone shop where Quigleys is now.

To be honest, I'm not surprised Music Lane is going. Poor selection, high prices and their niche instrument market wasn't great.

Too true one of those predatory music shops - the ones that take advantages of the kids passing and going "Mammy I want a guitar/drumkit/keyboard/tin whistle/harmonica!" rather than selling to actual musicians their prices are ridiculous so even that marketing stategy didn't work too well!

Music Lane has moved to Foxes Bow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭source

My dad used to have a paint store in there in the early 90's called All Shades i think he moved into catherine Street then where the golf shop is now.

PM me if you need any more info.

Advertisement