Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Microphone question

• 14-08-2006 2:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭

I bought a Shure PG58, which is like a budget version of the famous SM58. I heard the pop shield on the SM58 can be removed to make it sound more like a SM57. I'll be micing my amp as well as recording vocals so if I can use the one microphone that'd be great.

Has anyone heard of this? I'm a bit nervous of going about unscrewing the top of my PG58 in case I break it. :)

Also I'm expecting delivery of the Behringer Mic200 preamp, anyone have experience with this bit of gear?

-Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

The pop shield on the 58 attenuates the high end somewhat, removing it makes the mic a little brighter, quite like a 57. Downside is you expose the diaphragm and it's very easy to break.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Den_M

So it screws off easy enough then? Ok I'll try it later, thanks.

About the preamp, I was looking at some of the reviews on harmony-central and it seemed most of those who had bought it were using it to warm up their sound. A few were even treating it like a mild distortion pedal by hiking up the gain..
    I thought it was a simple preamp, as in it amplifies the signal of a mic, is the fact that it has a valve a big factor. As far as I'm aware you can turn it off anyways. I like they way it has different presets for acoustic, elec, bass, keyboard etc

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭selephonic

I don't know much about the presets on it, I've used the Mic 100 which is the same unit without the presets. It's a handy unit to use as a DI for a mic that needs phantom, but not really a great preamp. It gets noisy when you put a bit of volume into it. As for the Valve, it just muddies the sound, like a bad distortion pedal.

That said, it will bring up the level and give you phantom power. It's also very sturdy and looks nice. The limiter is useless, but there's a phase reverse and pad on it. Just don't expect pro results and you should be fine.

I suppose it's a great value piece of gear actually once it's used in the right place.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Den_M

Thanks Selephonic. I got it since and I'm pretty happy with it. Like you said it wont blow you away but it does the job just fine. :)

Advertisement