Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wireless Gaming

• 14-08-2006 2:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

Just wondering if anyone use's wireless for gaming?

Ive tried it before and had poor results but perhaps things have changed and its improved somewhat. The wireless router would be maybe 15-20 feet away and have two concrete walls inbetween each (~1 foot thick)

The layout of the building makes cabling a nightmare, walls are too thick to drill through without hiring in someone with serious drills. Also Im not sure its covered by my rent policy.

From what I remember the main problem before was the signal dropping, I was thinking of perhaps using a directional antenna to focus the signal but again Im not sure if it would be enough.

Anyway any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭NutJob

Its usable but you will get sudden unexplained lag bursts.
    Could be caused by anything from neighbour using his microwave to a cordless phone.

Powerline adapters might be a better option for gameing though i have yet to see them in action.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

the two concrete walls are the main problem.
    Don't listen to clueless people talk to you about cordless phones or microwaves. In *practice* these things interfering are actually pretty rare. Sure, you might see it online listed as one of the causes, but tbh thats filler.

The concrete walls are going to create dropped packets. This packet loss will affect you ping-wise. Your bandwidth will also suffer. Directional antennae might be a runner. Depends on your wireless kit and how easy an antenna is to attach, the availability of a suitable pigtail/etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

yea if the walls weren't so thick you'd be fine. I use wireless for gaming (b type) and have no problems with lag, ping etc. Signal passes thru a metal filing cabinet and two concrete walls but not as thick as yours.

High gain antennas might help alright. What router do you have?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

NutJob wrote:
    Powerline adapters might be a better option for gameing though i have yet to see them in action.
    A coupe of posters have mentioned using them recently (probably in the Broadband forum).

Elara have some from Netgear and Xyzel. I've also seen a couple of mentions of this gear from a German company - some of the UK retailers that have outlets in Ireland may c arry them.

Note that you'll need at least 2 adapters - one to get the signal onto the eltrical network, and another one to get it off again!

These are dodgy. Very dodgy if you intend gaming over them. :(

• Advertisement

FuzzyLogic wrote:
    Don't listen to clueless people talk to you about cordless phones or microwaves. In *practice* these things interfering are actually pretty rare. Sure, you might see it online listed as one of the causes, but tbh thats filler.

Not true cordless phone can play havoc with gameing and microwaves was an extreme example.
    I have a cordless phone to prove it two.

802.11 will attempt to deal with it but it can cause all sorts of weird looking runt frames and the re-transmit rate will go up.

Obviosly thick stone walls will screw wireless hence i brought up powerline.

"can"
    thats the key word.
    Its just not as big an issue as its made out to be.
    :)

It plays havock with CS in perticular as its internal protocol is not good at dealing with fragmented UDP packets. Hence i have a cable running down the stairs :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

FuzzyLogic wrote:
    These are dodgy. Very dodgy if you intend gaming over them. :(
    PM this guy for feedback from someone who actually has them installed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

High gain antennas might help alright. What router do you have?

http://www.netgear.com/Products/RoutersandGateways/GWirelessRouters/WGR614.aspx

I think this is the Wireless router I have (I will check again in more detail) I got it from NTL.
    Directional antennae might be a runner. Depends on your wireless kit and how easy an antenna is to attach, the availability of a suitable pigtail/etc.

What you consider my best option to be here? Im out of my league trying to consider one antenna over another.

Thanks everyone for your comments to far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

mmm don't think that Antenna is user replaceable. Have a read of this thread of how people soldered their own antenna on.

irlrobins wrote:
    mmm don't think that Antenna is user replaceable. Have a read of this thread of how people soldered their own antenna on.

If you were to do this it would some cut and shutting involved.

Solder a pigtail in and use some LMR-* cable then big antennas all round
    http://www.linux-hacker.net/misc/wgr614v3.jpg

www.aerial.net for kit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Thats for all the help guys, Ill do some further reading and see what I can come up with.

Rgds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Triangle

Stat - if you're going that option give me a shout I got some info on the hardware you'd need.

Advertisement