Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Will i get insured on a...

Options
  • 14-08-2006 3:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭bp_me

NiSmO wrote:

moped experience wont count.
    insured under one of your parents is probably the only way. call around and see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭NiSmO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

don't think you have a chance of insurance on a levin, insurance on a 1ltr micra is pushing it even at 17 - you'll be blown out of the water with a quote if you get one at all. get a year or 2 experience on your parents car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

no hope at all tbh. even under your dad ncb policy named driver ect ect ect. just buy a micra or something for a few years, untill you hit about 20/23 insurance is gonna be sky high. and insurance know what levins are nowa day, and will charge more as it is considired a performance car

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭bo-bo

NiSmO wrote:
    unfortunately you will find that the range of cars you will be quoted on will be limited enough

i doubt that any insurance company will take you on at 17 on a gt turbo - i could be wrong tho'

try as many companies as you can - you never know

happy hunting :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 levin

They all get insured by lying about the car their driving like not telling about the turbo, by doing this their not really insured do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

ye, they don't declare the car as a glanza turbo, they just sat starlet... and tbh these cars a rubbish, they're dangerous and they're knacker mobiles!

levin wrote:
    They all get insured by lying about the car their driving like not telling about the turbo, by doing this their not really insured do

nope. your wrong.

Ive imported a few cars from japan myself, and what the story is is that a starlet gt / glanza goes down as a flat 1.3, no turbo on the log book. same with imprezas, rx7's, skylines.

All you have to do is find a jap import, which they all should be. unless the fecking eejit thatbrough it in actually turned around and said to the customs ppl, ohh look thats really a actual turbo !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

if your in a accident your ****ed!!!the turbo and intercooler will jump out at a assesor.sure tbh they are ****, if you buy one they are prob ****ed with either crash damage or a tubo/engine rebuild needed as they were prob driven to ****. could i get a log book from a 1.4 civic, and put it to a type-R??OP will get insured i know a fella who is 17 on a type R(real deal) although he wrote it off last week:D :D :mad: ;)
    if your learning to drive, high powered cars with L plates look stupid!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Driving high powered can be tricky enough at times for experienced drivers. 17 year olds generally can't drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

colm_mcm wrote:
    Driving high powered can be tricky enough at times for experienced drivers. 17 year olds generally can't drive.

thats why they shouldnt get glanzas etc, its for their own good, btw i am 18 and all my mates want these high power pieces of ****, ill take a 1.3 classic mini and bate them up a stick.o.k maybe not a glanza or type r but it would burn a regular civic, peg, or a golf:D :D:D

since when is a 120hp glanza considered high powered ? And if your logbook states a standard 1.3 you can fight it and win. alot of lads down in waterford have done this. legal loop holes you see.

And jasus man Is it not possible for you to do a post with a fist full of *'s surely your linguistic skills arent that basic are they ?

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭APM

kona, that type R that was written off last week think I know the same fella. if so look on his bebo for pics of crash damage. not pretty. hope he had it insured properly as he only had it a week

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭5500

anti wrote:
    since when is a 120hp glanza considered high powered ? And if your logbook states a standard 1.3 you can fight it and win. alot of lads down in waterford have done this. legal loop holes you see.

Are you trying to say that guys knowingly with glanzas or gt starlets have gone to court and won cases by pleading "oh i didnt know it was a turbo,its only 1.3 on the log book"

Not a hope in hell would that stand up in court,the gaurds aint stupid either,iv had them look in my own engine bay and ask about induction kits ect to see if the car was as declared

thats exactally what im saying. not every one has been won. but from the lads i know who have had glanzas and crashed about 75% of them have got away with it, the trick is to take off the glanza badges and put on a starlet one. plus if you look in the engine bay you cant really see the turbo without moving some pipes and the manifold. Ive seen the same with a ek9 type r, down as a 1.6 on the log book. Lad got away with it and his insurance company coughed up too.

Im not saying its a wise thing to do at all. its rather stupid imho.

Never mind moving pipes,theres a big dirty intercooler sitting looking at you when you open up the bonnet and there not the only giveaways.I cant see how an insurance assesor couldnt tell the difference between them,likewise with the civic as the only other 1.6 is sohc,the engines look nothing like each other so its beyond me how they could get away with it

And if its really happening at least the fools are only getting paid a fraction of the cost of the car seen as a nun spec glanza is about 5k cheaper the V

yep thats right. but there is a 1.6dohc aswell. What alot of ppl seem to do is if they crash remove the intercooler

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭The_Magoo

anti wrote:
    thats exactally what im saying. not every one has been won. but from the lads i know who have had glanzas and crashed about 75% of them have got away with it, the trick is to take off the glanza badges and put on a starlet one. plus if you look in the engine bay you cant really see the turbo without moving some pipes and the manifold. Ive seen the same with a ek9 type r, down as a 1.6 on the log book. Lad got away with it and his insurance company coughed up too.

Im not saying its a wise thing to do at all. its rather stupid imho.

So how many lads with glanzas that they have crashed do you know? Do you think there might be a pattern? Young driver, fastish car, lying about insurance, and to reiterate a previous thread, all cars register in this state, the logbog does not state if the car is turbo or supercharge, it just oulines the capacity for tax purposes. When insuring the car you must state the spec of the car or else your insurance is void. Anyone who tells you otherwise is telling porkies in order to avoid losing face amoungst his peers. And no, you wont get insurance on a Levin at 17, and if you do it will cost €4k+. No insurace company will carry over a NCB from a moped, there is only one insurance company in ireland that cover scoots, and the wont transfer NCBs for bikes. Now I am not against anyone driving quick cars in a quick manner, but for the love of christ dont just jump in there thinking you will get the knack of it straight away. I have know to many good drivers who havnt come back from drives in there cars.

• Advertisement

not all have been young. most around the age of 23/24. And you can get away with it, as long as you dont import the car yourself or buy it from a car importer, only from as private seller. you just have to play dumb. you get away with it more often then not. Now ill say it again, this is not a clever thing to do at all. its rather idiotic and immature.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭bo-bo

anti wrote:
    you just have to play dumb.

insurance companies operate on a policy of declaration - if you dont declare something its your fault, even if you genuinely didnt know - there is no way around it unfortunately:(

• Registered Users Posts: 48 billyk

one of my mates had one of these at the same time i had a 1.1 saxo and could not beat me on a take off fair enough 300 metres down the road he blasted me, the car is too light for turbo all they seem to be good for is wheelspinning, good luck trying to insure a levin but try http://www.xsdirect.ie

He must of had a fairly **** glanza then. I had mine brough up to just under 200hp with extreme autos in waterford. And i would piss scoobys and skyline gts/gtst's off the line. same goes for integras, crx's and civics.

All you have to do with them is stick a set of 17's and you get traction. When i had the standard enkie 15's the wheels would light up in 4th when floored.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

antithe wrote:
    trick is to take off the glanza badges and put on a starlet one. plus if you look in the engine bay you cant really see the turbo without moving some pipes and the manifold.

Are you serious? lol. Any and I mean any assesor will know within 10 seconds of looking at the engine that it is a turbo'd glanza and not a starlet.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

mloc123 wrote:
    Are you serious? lol. Any and I mean any assesor will know within 10 seconds of looking at the engine that it is a turbo'd glanza and not a starlet.
    Agreed, assesors aren't idiots, Glanzas get written off every week.

anti wrote:
    He must of had a fairly **** glanza then. I had mine brough up to just under 200hp with extreme autos in waterford. And i would piss scoobys and skyline gts/gtst's off the line. same goes for integras, crx's and civics.

What had you done to nearly break 200bhp?

eireal wrote:
    What had you done to nearly break 200bhp?

I was thinking the same thing.

Forged pistons, jun cams, front mounted intercooler from saab 900, t28 , larger injector, more boost 1.3bar, aqua mist. roling road tuned. pectal ecu. sard dump valve ( i know they gain no more power) tripple plate carbon fiber clutch. hks fuel pressure regulator, hks exhaust. And last but not least octane boost

• Advertisement

anti wrote:
    Forged pistons, jun cams, front mounted intercooler from saab 900, t28 , larger injector, more boost 1.3bar, aqua mist. roling road tuned. pectal ecu. sard dump valve ( i know they gain no more power) tripple plate carbon fiber clutch. hks fuel pressure regulator, hks exhaust. And last but not least octane boost

How much did all this cost to do?

Advertisement