Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Will i get insured on a...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I just find the idea of a Glanza not being able to keep up with a 1.1 Saxo a bit hard to swallow. Even a standard 1.3 Starlet would be quicker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

i did most of the fitting of parts myself, the ones that i could. i left the injectors pistons and ecu to extreme autos. all in all 2800€ as i was able to claim the vat back ;=)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

anti wrote:
    Forged pistons, jun cams, front mounted intercooler from saab 900, t28 , larger injector, more boost 1.3bar, aqua mist. roling road tuned. pectal ecu. sard dump valve ( i know they gain no more power) tripple plate carbon fiber clutch. hks fuel pressure regulator, hks exhaust. And last but not least octane boost

any extra safety mods to cope with the extra power? bigger better brakes or anything?

how much did your insurance increase with the modifications?

just like the glanza some people insure the levin as a standard 1.6 corolla, its a joke i seen 7 glanzas over the last weekend and none of the drivers were over 20, if they could afford the insurance on the car then surely they could afford a better car?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

So what's the real story here?

I've seen ads. for Glanzas, Imprezas, and even Skylines etc. stating "Non turbo in the log book" or similar.

Is it a wholesale thing for guys to knowingly have dodgy insurance?

What about modifications and disclosure? Do people inform their insurance co's?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 kev2

definatly go for somethin wit a bit of poke lad, sure why not, ive had a 1.3 lancer for a year now and im getten a mivec lancer tomorrow hopefully. its a proformance car too and think it has bout 170 bhp, 1.6 on the tax book (happy days). if ya can get away wit it go for it. the other people are right, if you have the car taxed, insured and tested as watever is on the book, they cant touch ya.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Mullie06

I can insure a Levin with quinn 3,500 tpft but the Levin is a 1.5 but it still has 110bhp if I where you i'd get a 306 d turbo van great chassis they look nice done up and have 144 lb/ft of torque which pently and the insurance is cheaper

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

LOL @ this thread :D

You know on some other threads people have started sentences using capital letters. Wonder if it will ever catch on here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 dwaol

hey

i am currently 17 and i have fully comprehensive insurence with eagle star
    on my 2000 civic type r ek9 and she is properly insured and under my own name for 4500 so if i can get it on a ek9 it can be got on a bzr!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

dwaol wrote: »
    hey

i am currently 17 and i have fully comprehensive insurence with eagle star
    on my 2000 civic type r ek9 and she is properly insured and under my own name for 4500 so if i can get it on a ek9 it can be got on a bzr!!!

Really ? Just to ask a question why did you buy the car ? (That's not in a snotty way either, just a question ! )

Also, I have insurance on my car its a 1.6 mirage, now on the website it did'nt have the car listed so I checked with the engine bay and came up with the type for the car which is cj4a , and I insured it threw quinn, as a 3 door 1597 Mitsubishi Mirage (cj4a) , should they know the specs of the car ? (Not a booster type it into google)

As unlike some people, I like to know my car is insured properly? I cant see a reason why it is not ..

Also, ring insurance companys and be as nice as you really can down the phone to them..

Also is this a true loop hole in the insurance policys too.

If you start a policy say in Jan on a 1.25 fiesta and during the year you decided to get a evo , the insurance company have to adjust your policy, is it true ?

Now there is a lesson here; make sure your car is insured properly. You can find yourself up for withholding information too the revenue also. And also remember in your license , the driver is responsible for making sure the car is taxed, PROPERLY insured and has a current nct .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭stecleary

if you change your car they dont have to insure you!!i switched from a 1.4 astra to a 2.2 accor and they said no and i told them i have all ready bought the car the phone op had to check wit her senior cos the car was over 100bhp!! insuerance went up a good bit but got insured in the end!!
    if you have a provo licence you wil find it hard but so easy wit a full licence because you can drive to the standard our joke of a government have set!!!:eek::eek:

• Advertisement

hey

i got the car because i was goin to just get a 1.3 colt but insurence was 3750 fully comp so when i went to collect the colt i saw the ek9 there for sale so i got a quote of 4500 and i got the civic!! it was an unexpected purchase i suppose!

dwaol wrote: »
    hey

i got the car because i was goin to just get a 1.3 colt but insurence was 3750 fully comp so when i went to collect the colt i saw the ek9 there for sale so i got a quote of 4500 and i got the civic!! it was an unexpected purchase i suppose!

Do you not think that its a bit high priced for a quote ? 4500 euro...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭thesoulfulldude

they wont quote you over a 1.4 without a full licence, i have a full licence and 1 years no claims, 19... they quoted me 3500. when they hear the bzr they know its a preformance import so not a hope. as for going down under your aould fella they'll want to know if he owns his own company and why he needs two cars. if you ring up and then your aould fella rings up and trys to put you down they'll black list you

steve06 wrote: »
    ye, they don't declare the car as a glanza turbo, they just sat starlet... and tbh these cars a rubbish, they're dangerous and they're knacker mobiles!

couldnt be more spot on... there pure ****. and also the handeling is worse than a frying pan with wheels

Anti wrote: »
    nope. your wrong.

Ive imported a few cars from japan myself, and what the story is is that a starlet gt / glanza goes down as a flat 1.3, no turbo on the log book. same with imprezas, rx7's, skylines.

All you have to do is find a jap import, which they all should be. unless the fecking eejit thatbrough it in actually turned around and said to the customs ppl, ohh look thats really a actual turbo !!

thats pointless your not insured if you dont claim it as a turbo at customs, even if you put an induction kit on the car your not insured

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Seperate

Right, to clear this insurance thing up...

First of all, no log book in the country says turbo, supercharged or n/a.

If you insure your car as a normal 1.3 and do not declare the turbo, and then you are involved in an accident, the assessor will know. I worked in insurance for 2 years dealing with claims, and these chaps are paid (well!) to spot these kind of things. In thier reports they send back to the insurance company, the chassis number, power output, fuel type etc. is included. The chassis/power output is read from the car's stamp.

If you have insured the car as something that it is not, then the insurance company will first of all decline your claim for damage to you own car. They will then do you up a new quote. If that quote is more then an additional 45% of the premium you paid, then the policy is void, and you are classed as driving uninsured. They will notify the gardai, and you will be prosecuted. It also counts as insurance rejected, so you will not or will find it very difficult and expensive to get insured elsewhere.

If the new quote is less then the 45% then they will deal with the third party, reject your claim and cancel your policy effective immediately. You will also have insurance rejected against you and as above, getting insured again will be difficult and/or very expensive.

You are risking 5 points, prosecution, a hefty fine and paying through the roof for insurance for the rest of your life! Stupid thing to do.

Seperate wrote: »
    Right, to clear this insurance thing up...

First of all, no log book in the country says turbo, supercharged or n/a.

If you insure your car as a normal 1.3 and do not declare the turbo, and then you are involved in an accident, the assessor will know. I worked in insurance for 2 years dealing with claims, and these chaps are paid (well!) to spot these kind of things. In thier reports they send back to the insurance company, the chassis number, power output, fuel type etc. is included. The chassis/power output is read from the car's stamp.

If you have insured the car as something that it is not, then the insurance company will first of all decline your claim for damage to you own car. They will then do you up a new quote. If that quote is more then an additional 45% of the premium you paid, then the policy is void, and you are classed as driving uninsured. They will notify the gardai, and you will be prosecuted. It also counts as insurance rejected, so you will not or will find it very difficult and expensive to get insured elsewhere.

If the new quote is less then the 45% then they will deal with the third party, reject your claim and cancel your policy effective immediately. You will also have insurance rejected against you and as above, getting insured again will be difficult and/or very expensive.

You are risking 5 points, prosecution, a hefty fine and paying through the roof for insurance for the rest of your life! Stupid thing to do.

So would I be insured ? I declared the car as described on the stamp !

cj4a import to the insurance !

msg11 wrote: »
    So would I be insured ? I declared the car as described on the stamp !

cj4a import to the insurance !

you have to describe to them the car exactly as it is, regardless of what it says on the logbook, my integra only says 1.8 on the log book so it could be an sir or a type r but i made sure that they knew it was a type r to be properly insured

no well considering the car age and experience i think it was a good quote

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 briano1984

my friend had a 1.6 mivec lancer while ago...he told the ins company at the time but somehow the girl taking quote either didnt get the mivec bit or just left it out but his ins went up nearly 1g next year. lot of ppl do leave out the little extras on ins but if involved in smallest crash ur not covered. not worth it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Seperate

By stamp, i mean something like this : http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h286/xnickx69/Altezza%20Club%20Images/p10540477.jpg

But at the sametime, if you take a 1.25 fiesta and put a 2L cosworth engine in it, they will know and void the policy.

i know this and that is why my car i completly and 100% properly insured i made sure of that

Seperate that is the stamp I used when insuring the car .

Now the car is mivec, but from my research I do not think you can get a cj4a with out the mivec. So they must know that it is a mivec, I do not want to go rattling my insurance companys cage asking question about the car as they might think it is more powerfull than I am making it out to be.

She sent me out with the wrong cover for the car, a 1.5 mirage, I rang them up ASAP and told her on the phone the model of the car, 1.6 cj4a import 3 door, she said I dont think we can quote you on that, and she told me to hold.

She then gave me an upgrade on the quote to 290 P/M. So from that I take it that they know the spec of the car ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,230 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Don't think the OP is too worried about 1.3 Starlets or Levins anymore lads... He got shiny new Golf GT from his parents for his birthday.

See here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭workaccount

NiSmO wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Ha ha it's great to be 23. I just got a quote in the last few days for a 7 series BMW 3.5L. Not an awful lot over a grand!!! Ha ha! :D
    An M5 was 1700 I think.

There's a good reason why you will even find it hard to get insured on Micra and I hope things don't ever change. Youve as good a chance of getting insured on bzr as you have of getting anywhere within a mile of my mums bedroom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭roakey

nope. your wrong.

Ive imported a few cars from japan myself, and what the story is is that a starlet gt / glanza goes down as a flat 1.3, no turbo on the log book. same with imprezas, rx7's, skylines.

All you have to do is find a jap import, which they all should be. unless the fecking eejit thatbrough it in actually turned around and said to the customs ppl, ohh look thats really a actual turbo !!

what are you talking bout

no matter wat it says on the log book, you have to declare everything to the insurance company otherwise your not insured simpe as, turbo doesnt go down on the log book any way, you dont get taxed more or less cos it has a turbo or not, a 2ltr impreza tax would be the same as a 2ltr wrx tax, but insurance wise they would be on totally different levels.

you should check out wat your saying first, sounds like your not insured if you think that lol:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭roakey

He must of had a fairly **** glanza then. I had mine brough up to just under 200hp with extreme autos in waterford. And i would piss scoobys and skyline gts/gtst's off the line. same goes for integras, crx's and civics.

All you have to do with them is stick a set of 17's and you get traction. When i had the standard enkie 15's the wheels would light up in 4th when floored.

and then a second or 2 into the race you realised oh **** i have a glanza, and they pissed past ya ha ha.

Ha ha it's great to be 23. I just got a quote in the last few days for a 7 series BMW 3.5L. Not an awful lot over a grand!!! Ha ha! :D
    An M5 was 1700 I think.

There's a good reason why you will even find it hard to get insured on Micra and I hope things don't ever change. Youve as good a chance of getting insured on bzr as you have of getting anywhere within a mile of my mums bedroom.

most idiotic pointless post on boards so far this year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭workaccount

draffodx wrote: »
    most idiotic pointless post on boards so far this year?

God some people are so stupid they can't even figure out the main point in a post. Jeeeeez.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

changin my civic for a i.8 turbo gsr over the weekend(hopefully!), was payin 1400 fully comp on a provisional for the 1.6 civic, its gone up to 2200 with another company for the gsr fully comp, but eh value of the car being insured has more than doubled so its not too bad, still on a provisional for another few months only (hopefully again)!

Advertisement