Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

acid dipping

Options
  • 14-08-2006 3:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭

Hey,

Searched boards and the net but finding it hard to get info on getting doors acid dipped. Does anyone know a place that does it in the south dublin area? Also, if anyone has a rough idea on cost, that'd be great too

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

I would never get doors acid dipped, it destroys them. You are much better off using a heat gun to strip them and then using nitromors. Have you ever seen what acid dippings does to wood? My house is over a hundred years old and we restored the wood the hard way. I've been to see houses in the area that have been up for sale and have seen the result acid dipping has done to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Endymion

FX Meister wrote:
    I would never get doors acid dipped, it destroys them. You are much better off using a heat gun to strip them and then using nitromors. Have you ever seen what acid dippings does to wood? My house is over a hundred years old and we restored the wood the hard way. I've been to see houses in the area that have been up for sale and have seen the result acid dipping has done to them.

yea what he said. It absolutely distroys doors. The wood contracts and twists up afterwards. Panels fall out, joints open up. Stay well away.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

For what it's worth I got 160-year-old doors dipped in Delvin Antiques (in Gormanston just north of Balbriggan on the old Belfast Road).

They came up a treat & are as sturdy as ever. I think that it was €50 per door, but that was a couple of years ago.

Advertisement