Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

moving to Cork finding it tough without local knowledge

Options
  • 14-08-2006 3:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭

Hi, I hope you can help me with a few suggestions and recommendations. I've just bought a house in Cork and I'm hoping to be ready to move in sometime next month. I've a couple of jobs that I need to do before hand and I was hoping you guys could give me some suggestions. Sorry there is quite a lot of them and I know the golden pages could answer some of them but I'd feel a lot more confident if I got some independent recommendations.

Suggestions of where to buy blinds

Suggestions of where to buy tiles

need a "kitchen (wo)man" to install white goods (involves gas, water and electricity)

The house is in The Cobh, who do I apply to for rubbish collection?

The bathrooms are in but I still need a shower surround and the finishing touches. suggestions for good bathroom place?

I have a good bit of furniture but looking for the rest. I've heard Caseys is good, would people agree. Has anyone from Cork gone to Swansea and on to Cardiff in Ikea, was it worth it?

Not as urgent but I'll need light fixtures. Is there a good lighting showroom?

I need to hire some tools, princippally an industrial sander to sand all the wooden floors. Any recommendations? I'll also need to buy the varnish for the sanded floors.

I'd like to put a garden shed in for storing sports equipment, garden furniture etc., Ideally (if budget allows it) I'd like a block built shed. Anyone got any expereince of having this done?

I'm sure I've forgotten some important things but before I overstay my welcome before even moving in, I'll leave now.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭jimbling

Hi, I hope you can help me with a few suggestions and recommendations. I've just bought a house in Cork and I'm hoping to be ready to move in sometime next month. I've a couple of jobs that I need to do before hand and I was hoping you guys could give me some suggestions. Sorry there is quite a lot of them and I know the golden pages could answer some of them but I'd feel a lot more confident if I got some independent recommendations.

Suggestions of where to buy blinds

Cork Window Blinds are pretty decent, and give a good price. Gavin is the main man and I can give you his number if you like. pm me.

Suggestions of where to buy tiles

Not sure where the best place for tiles is really... there's a load of them about.

need a "kitchen (wo)man" to install white goods (involves gas, water and electricity)

no idea

The house is in The Cobh, who do I apply to for rubbish collection?

You can either go with the Council or with Wiser Bins. (there could be others too). Your best bet when it comes to rubbish collection is just call into a neighbour and find out what they use. (normally everyone in estate / neighbourhood will be the same)

The bathrooms are in but I still need a shower surround and the finishing touches. suggestions for good bathroom place?

Tubs and Tiles is about the only place I really know for this. Those small bits and bobs (chrome toothbrush holders, toilet paper holder etc etc) do seem to be expensive though. Given the name, this may also satisfy for your tiles.

I have a good bit of furniture but looking for the rest. I've heard Caseys is good, would people agree. Has anyone from Cork gone to Swansea and on to Cardiff in Ikea, was it worth it?

That depends on the budget really. I know what I did was go to Caseys, find what your looking for...... then go somewhere else to buy it :D

Seriously though, Caseys is excellent but very expensive.
    Theres a load of furniture shops / warehouses around Cork city / county..... but in saying that I've had trouble finding what I've been looking for myself.

Not as urgent but I'll need light fixtures. Is there a good lighting showroom?
    Not specific, but I did notice a pretty good range in B&Q. I can't think of any shop specifically for lighting at the moment.

I need to hire some tools, princippally an industrial sander to sand all the wooden floors. Any recommendations? I'll also need to buy the varnish for the sanded floors.
    don't really know about this.... golden pages Id say.

I'd like to put a garden shed in for storing sports equipment, garden furniture etc., Ideally (if budget allows it) I'd like a block built shed. Anyone got any expereince of having this done?

I know a friend got an absolutely fantastic shed done by Shed World out near ballincollig. Not sure if they will suit your needs, but you could give them a call.

I'm sure I've forgotten some important things but before I overstay my welcome before even moving in, I'll leave now.

Welcome to Cork!

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭LilMrsDahamsta

Could you specify your price range please? It's difficult to recommend anywhere/one without some sort of idea of what you intend spending. Cork has everything from the bargain basement version to top notch for most of the things your asking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

Thanks for the welcome and all the advice Jim,

Lilmiss, This is also a first house for me, so please don't laugh if I am a bit clueless with the prices.

I was hoping to pay 40 euro a square yard for tiles,

I really have no idea for the blinds. All the window are quite small with 2-3 windows in the larger rooms. Would less than 80 euro a window be ridiculous? I'd like blackout blinds for my bedroom.

I've put aside 3000 euro for the shed but I have a feeling it's going to be more.

50 euro an hour for the guy to install the kitchen equipment?

For the lighting, I'll wait and see how much money I've left over and go from there.

Does that help?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭smileygal

Welcome to Cork

Lighting showrooms:

After Dark - Frenchchurch St/ Carey's Lane (between Paul St and The Moderne-Body Shop plaza on Patrick's St

Galaxy lighting towards the bus station end of Oliver Plunkett St has a big window full of them, great for window shopping when it's closed.

I think one called Cork Lighting Showroom or some thing to that effect out behind Bull McCabe's pub on the Airport Road (not far from Kinsale Roundabut/Frankfield (would need a car for that one)

Roches Stores

and as mentioned, B&Q.

Caseys very pricey for furniture

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

Thanks Smileygal. Think I'm getting there.

• Advertisement
Advertisement