Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broken pedestrian Lights in Douglas

Options
  • 14-08-2006 4:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭

I was visiting friends in Cork over the weekend. In Douglas we were crossing East Douglas St at Church Street. We patiently waited for the green man. And waited. And bloody waited. Mr Green Man never arrived.

I contacted the Gardai (I knew the county council wouldn't be available) and was told that vandals keep messing with the signal box (in front of Xtravision, opposite Barry's pub) and disabling the ped crossing sequence. Clever vandals. The Garda said that the lights have been broken for 6 or so months :eek:

This morning I rang Cork County Council (Carrigaline office, 021-437-1800). The woman who answered didn't seem overly bothered with the situation (though she said that they were only out for a few weeks). She said something about a "new line" going in, whatever that means. I got a bit dramatic saying that someone is eventually going to get knocked down and sue the County Council but she wasn't phased.

If there was a traffic light never turning green for cars you know it would be fixed quickly.

Has anyone noticed this issue and shouted at the County Council?
    What local councillor should I contact to report this?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

that phase has been gone for ages, tehy had a sign up noting that the pedestrian phase was gone for a while. i think atm the traffic stops entirely at teh junction for a bit every cycle but the green man doesnt pop up

• Registered Users Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

that map has douglas court in the wrong place .... *cough*

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Tree wrote:
    i think atm the traffic stops entirely at teh junction for a bit every cycle but the green man doesnt pop up
    Yes, there was a short period where we (cars and peds) were all looking at red lights.
    Putting a sign up instead of fixing the issue is a stupid response by the council.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

enjoy the cork cOunty council and their marvellous solutions :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

daymobrew wrote:
    What local councillor should I contact to report this?
    Deirdre Clune (FG) has an office right in front of the traffic lights, it's upstairs from O'Donavon's off-licence, next to Centra.

• Advertisement
Advertisement