Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Duds

Options
  • 14-08-2006 4:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Is there a safe way to dispose of dud .22 rounds? i'm sure most of you like myself have got a few over the years. i'm loath to just leave them in the fields or to throw them in the bin:confused:
    I always use winchester super x subs, so i don't need to be told to stop using cheap ammo:D :D:D

Hezz.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

Throwing them into a deep drain works for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

We usually take the bullet out of the case using two pairs of pliers (gently, the crimping isn't that snug), flush the powder (though burning it off on a nonflammable surface ought to be fine if you don't stick your nose into it first), then soak the primer by running water into the case, and chuck it in with the empties. Bullet can go in the lead bin.

I'm not truly happy with the way we deal with the primer, mind. I'd like to be sure it wasn't going to dry out and go pop a few months down the line. Anyone got a better suggestion?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

I hand them out at halloween as treats ;)

only kidding generally they go in a gulley(sp?) or a drain aswell. Could be better i suppose but i don't fancy carrying them for too long the whole way home to burry them or something.

Would throwing them in a river be considered to be polluting ( we are talking about a tiny % of rounds)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

put the shel with primer out to 20 yards and shoot the bottom of the case:L

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

A squirt of WD-40 or similar will 'kill' the primer permanently.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

toss in the nearest waste oil drum is good.The oil will seep into the round and negate primer and powder eventually.22 isnt that much of a worry.Be a different story with bigger calibres.

Rovi wrote:
    A squirt of WD-40 or similar will 'kill' the primer permanently.
    Cheers Rovi. I'll do that in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Once all the powder is all emptied out I used to squeeze the case with a pair of pliers and some gloves/hearing/eye protection, a small pop results.

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hezz700

Thanks for all the advise. lots of good ideas there.
    Hezz:D :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭fathersymes

Sparks, your idea of using 2 pliers reminds me of when I was about 10 and finding some Hilti bullets. I decided to use a nail and hammer to open the crimp in order to get the powder, I was sucessfull with the first few until I hit one too hard and blew my thumb and forefinger apart!

• Advertisement

Ouch. Much damage done?
    And just so it's obvious, they're needle-nose pliers, one holding the lead and one holding the brass just behind the crimp, well away from the rim!

No major damage just flesh wounds, but I still bear the scars. I also have some impressive marks on my hands from my days of trying to make black powder. I recall going to separate chemists, 1 to buy potassium nitrate and another for the sulphur. Never managed to make a bang though, just big flashes.

[ I
    also have some impressive marks on my hands from my days of trying to make black powder. I recall going to separate chemists, 1 to buy potassium nitrate and another for the sulphur. Never managed to make a bang though, just big flashes.

You too??Welcome brother!!!Thought I was the only one who did that around in my youth!! Got big flashes and puffs of smoke as well.Discoverd making BP from the DIY mayhem books issued by the CIA or Kurt Saxon isnt as cracked up as it is made out to be.:D Did you try it from those books or another recpie??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 shc1

(No pun intended Sparks)
    It can throw some sparks;) but... dig a hole insert charcoal, light. Sit back about 6 feet and toss in duds. If anything travels more than a few feet it will be the brass.
    Have some hot dogs and marshmallows on sticks for when the ammo runs out. Enjoy!
    :)

Well Clare Gunner, I got my recipe from an 1893 version of Encyclopedia Brittanica (no internet in the early 1980's!).

Another bit of devilment was when a lad I used to play with and whose father was a detective inspector in the guards.

His father used to leave .32 or .38 bullets (can't remember) around the house and we would put one on a firelighter and hide behind a wall waiting for the bang. Never saw the gun though.

Isn't it ironic that a senior member of the Gardai would treat security of firearms in such an irresponsible manner.

Well Clare Gunner, I got my recipe from an 1893 version of Encyclopedia Brittanica (no internet in the early 1980's!).

Aint that a fact!!Luxury to have an encylopedia Brittanica as well.Ah times was tough then!Kids these days have it too good,etc etc.

His father used to leave .32 or .38 bullets (can't remember) around the house and we would put one on a firelighter and hide behind a wall waiting for the bang. Never saw the gun though.

Isn't it ironic that a senior member of the Gardai would treat security of firearms in such an irresponsible manner.

Fo r sure, but than again wasn't he the trained responsible law enforcement type person who should/could only handle firearms that us mere civillians would be totally incompetant and dangerous to let loose with????:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

BTW when I think on our BP experiments,we proably never wetted the stuff,and then granulated it,We proably made serpentine,a very primitive form of gunpowder common up to the 16th centuary.

Advertisement