Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Rugby

Options
  • 14-08-2006 5:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭

The new season is about to kick off and Connacht are again facing into an uncertain future. I would urge everyone who wants to see professional rugby remain in Connacht/Galway to do their best to catch some homes games this year. They've provisionally got a 6.30 Friday evening kickoff with free into the greyhounds afterwards, it's a good deal and a great way to kick of your weekend. I've added a poll just to see how Connacht are seen by Galwegians, and feel free to post how things could be improved.

I've posted this in the Galway City section becuase the 6.30 kickoff makes it impossible for people from outside Galway to get to games.

Support your province, the West's Awake.

Connacht rugby, you are.. 19 votes

a diehard fan, rarely miss a game
    0% 0 votes
    not really interested
    26% 5 votes
    actively despise all foreign games/sports
    52% 10 votes
    Might go, might not, depends on the weather etc.
    21% 4 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

I've been to a few matches last year since moving back to Galway.
    It's a great venue considering the dogtrack after etc..
    nice food there too.
    Time is perfect at 6:30 as you can hit the town straight after..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

i love going to see connaught play.it was a good way to spend saturday afternoon, but i am all in favour of the friday nights.might not be here next year thou in order to able to go see them.its a pity cus i saw some great matches last year, particulary the win over worchester.
    the last few friday nights with the dogs were pretty busy from what i have heard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭IronMan

I have been to see them once or twice, despite the fact that I am not a rugby fan at all. Having as many sports as possible being played in the city is a positive thing. The one thing that has always grated me about the Connaught rugby issue is the protests that took place when the blazers in the IRFU contemplated disbanding the Connaught provincial side. Thousands travelled to Durty Dublin, we had tears, impassioned speeches, mournful ballads, hairy poets, velvet trouser wearers and Michael D Higgins. Yet why didn't these people actually go to an occassional game. One of the games I attended had a smaller crowd at it, than your average meeting of the SWP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

IronMan wrote:
    The one thing that has always grated me about the Connaught rugby issue is the protests that took place when the blazers in the IRFU contemplated disbanding the Connaught provincial side. Thousands travelled to Durty Dublin, we had tears, impassioned speeches, mournful ballads, hairy poets, velvet trouser wearers and Michael D Higgins. Yet why didn't these people actually go to an occassional game. One of the games I attended had a smaller crowd at it, than your average meeting of the SWP.

Couldnt agree more.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Not interested mate. Try next door.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

biko wrote:
    Not interested mate.

I wouldn't say I'm that interested in Connacht rugby either, but I did think it was unfair that the IRFU tried to disband them just because they weren't as succesful as, say, Munster or Leinster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭toomevara

daveirl wrote:

Indeed but in classic irish fashion, they're not given official status as a development province and limp on in some sort of untenable quasi-professional limbo..I'm a munster man myself but went to uni in Galway and went to as many matches as possible. The ground is great on match day and so's the atmosphere created by the small but dedicated fan base.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Out of curiosity Biko, why wouldn't you support Connacht rugby? Is it just no interest in rugby or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Naux

I will definitely try to get to a couple of games this year. Connaught have done well with very limited resources and deserve all the support we can give them.

• Advertisement

Out of curiosity Biko, why wouldn't you support Connacht rugby? Is it just no interest in rugby or what?
    I've been to a few local games and seen big games on telly but can't get into it.
    It's too slow for me, I'm more used to GAA, hurling and occasional soccer.
    Same thing for American footie - just too slow for me. And don't me started on cricket *yawns* :p

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

curling ftw

SyxPak wrote:
    curling ftw
    Syx, you may like this. Hammerfall & the swedish women's olympic curling team.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

with work commitments i find it hard to get to many games, they need support, i'll do my best to get to as many games as possible this season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭johnnyboy4711

I was a season ticket holder last season and missed one game all year.
    I am dissapointed the way that the team spread themselves too thin on both the european cup and the Magners league!
    Its very frustrating to watch Connacht as the really should put teams away but fail to do so and get pipped to the line.
    Some dodgy referee calls from last season didn't help either!
    I really think that with such a small squad of players(and as cash is an Issue)
    they should focus on mid-table or better on the league as a way to getting to the level of the Heineken cup and not try to do everything(ie the euro cup)
    Fingers crossed the lads will have a good campaign and no longer be the whipping boys of Irish rugby FOR WAY TOO LONG!
    johnnyboy4711

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

I really think that with such a small squad of players(and as cash is an Issue)
    they should focus on mid-table or better on the league as a way to getting to the level of the Heineken cup and not try to do everything(ie the euro cup)
    Fingers crossed the lads will have a good campaign and no longer be the whipping boys of Irish rugby FOR WAY TOO LONG!
    johnnyboy4711
    I totally agree. Between watching games in the first half of the season and ones towards the end, the difference was staggering. In the end the state of the squad stopped them from climbing the Celtic League a bit more towards the end.

I've been to 80% plus of the home games in the last two seasons and I'll be getting my new season ticket quite soon.

With regards those of the crowd who marched on the IRFU being professional protestors, you'll find they're the same kind of crowd who get perverted thrills from withering letters in provincial freesheets and think the Western Rail Corridor is a faultless idea...

Connacht have several home games in a row at the start of this season to help build momentum, I agree the Euro Comp is just a distraction, eventually Connacht come up against a top GP team who are within touching distance of the final and start taking it very seriously, whereas if Connacht focussed on getting into the HEC via the league they'd have 3 very high profile home games the following year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 ?banned?

I'm moving home to Galway in September and try to keep me away from the Games!
    Havent been in years and years but I'll make up for lost time when I move back home.

:D

any idea if this one is on the box FTA or SAT?
    would love to see how the boys start the season!
    fingers and toes crossed for a good start and biuld some momentum!
    johnnyboy

Dear Johnny,

Thanks for your email, over the next couple of weeks we will unfortunately not be showing any live Connacht matches. However, we will be showing the highlights of all of Connacht’s games on our Saturday programme or on our Rugby show which will start in October.

Our live matches with Connacht in 2006 are:

Sat 18 Nov at 17:30
    Tues 26th Dec at 17:30

While I accept that this is less than some of the other provinces we do hope our coverage of the Magners league will entertain you in the future.

Best regards,

Gary Lennon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

alright lads - home game this friday against Ospreys.
    chance of watching some rugby and possible henson bashing if he plays.
    come one come all.

Sportsground, Galway
    Friday, 8 September
    Kick-off: 1830 BST

i be there with bells on !
    1 Rugby
    2 Dogs
    3 pints
    thats the trifecta for me!!!
    always trio!!!!
    j

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

I'm a season ticket holder so I'll also be there braving the unique weather conditions this Friday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

what a great defensive display by connacht on fri eve!
    the onlt try was a break away by justin marshall,the lads came oh so close to one of their own before that!
    at half time i was in the bar in the stand(the pricey seats) and had a pint in a glass(as supposed to a plastic one!)
    Really great that the greyhound people and the rugby folk got this off the ground cos its a win win for everybody!
    C'mon connacht give us something to shout about!!!
    Kepp going in the direction your going and all will be fine!
    j:D :D:D:p:p:p;););)

A huge win, and a deserved win. 2 big wins now and there's no reason they can't add to that next weekend.

I really think the boys are up against this weekend,the loss against scarlets ,the gunners draw(tad lucky)and now Leinster with their big boys back,if connacht get anyhting out of this would be great,fingers and toes crossed!
    johnnyboy4711
    :(:(:(:o:o:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭nobodythere

I work in the dogs so I get to see them all for free. Though from where I'm sitting there's a big pole in front of the big number on the scoreboard so I never know who's winning :)

It is actually a load of fun to watch, and a great atmosphere.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭jj72

Anyone know if you can just pay on the gate or do you have to buy the tickets beforehand....thinkn of goin to my 1st game tonite!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

jj72 wrote: »
    Anyone know if you can just pay on the gate or do you have to buy the tickets beforehand....thinkn of goin to my 1st game tonite!!
    I bought tickets on Wednesday and there was still some ones left for the ground.

To be on the safe side, turn up 15-20 minutes early, go in and have a pint. You may even meet some boardsies if you stand over near the dugout.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement