Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ramp making

Options
  • 14-08-2006 5:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭

Making a new ramp and I was wondering whats the best thickness of plywood to get?

THanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 expn

probably depends on whether you'll be on a bmx or skateboard ,for skating we always use

two layers of 1/2 inch ply , with 1/4 inch marine ply as the surface . and for building the sides of each quater pipe and deck try 3/4 inch ply .......

Goodluck with it man , there's nothing like having your own......
    I miss mine so much......! it died of rain disease........!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭shortys94

yea its for skateboard, you need two layer of 1/2 inch and a layer of 1/4 ? i thought id do just one layer, would it not lasyt?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭shagman

Allthough ply is still sold in 8ft by 4ft sizes thickness is generally/weirdly quoted in metric sizes 6mm 9mm 12mm and 18mm. Cheapest way to ply a ramp is using two layers of 9mm WBP (water + boil proof) ply on the transitions and 18mm WBP on the flat and platforms.Using 18mm shutering ply for the transition plates will save you some money too as it's cheaper than WBP just rougher so no good for surface. A top surface of 6mm birch on top of all that is a good idea if you can afford it. Theres a lot of crap chinese ply on the market now which deteriorates preety quickly so birch might be cheaper in the long run for the top surface. Check out www.rampplans.org for more info. PM me where you are and if I can lend a hand I will.
    And no one layer of 9mm wont last and if it's any thicker than that you won't bend it onto the transition .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭shortys94

its for a bank ramp, so there wont be really any bending, just a tiny bit of give

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭shagman

Well in that case use either 12mm or 18mm depending on how closely you're gonna space the struts.

• Advertisement
Advertisement