Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conroe stock benchies

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭sarahn11

yeah pog, what case is that?? i know you told me before, but i promise ill remember this time!!! head like a si........eh what??

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Yeah nice, I can't see any real impedance of airflow there, although that power connector is in a ridiculous place :rolleyes: . You got a dremel? Maybe cut out the grill at the rear 120mm fan, it should aid the cfm its producing and also cut down on any wind shear noise caused by it. You don't seem to have any means of extracting any of the rising heat so a fan hole at the top of your case in front of your HDDs could also be an idea. Also I'd highly recommend a side fan somewhere, it is a great way of getting air directly on top of your CPU or GPU, a high cfm 120mm on a fan control would do the trick, just turn it up when you are overclocking.

That... or take the easy route and go watercooling :o

Edit, here is an easy mod you can do to that ribbon cable, I always do it with mine, and usually just wrap them in insulation tape, looks just as good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Nice looking :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Its the hd cage interfering with airfow at the front. gonna take it off, but i'm gonna have to find a place for my fourth hd. look:
    p8190074hf8.th.jpg
    Have a 62mm fan at the top blowing out. Look, this is the view looking up inside case:
    p8190075dm7.th.jpg
    And Sarahan11, its a thermaltake Armour case. This 1: http://www.thermaltake.com/xaserCase/armor/va8000bws/va8000bws.htm
    Its set up for w/cing so i might go down that road in the future (when i can afford), for now i'm gonna get rid of hd cage at front & put another 62mm fan lower down at front blowing back on gpu. Cheers for all yer help/advise, might go & buy a game today & enjoy for now. Any good games (FPS) out, is FEAR ex pack out?

Try and get GRAW. That will really test your setup, it has to be the most resource hungry game i've ever seen. I can run fear grand on my system, but GRAW barely gets 25fps on the lowest settings. There are some settings that can only be enabled if you have 512MB of more memory on your GFX card.

Also, whats stopping you moving the cage to the botton of your case?

EDIT:

This is what you want :D

• Advertisement

Have the demo of graw ere. Didn't like it, although the graphics are deadly. Found it impossible & dont like controlling 4 players. I've only got 256mb gpu anyway so i wouldnt be able to run extra settings. got oblivion ere, that would put any system under pressure.
    Pic looks good but doesnt leave any room for drives etc.
    The front fan is attached to the hd cage not the case. gonna mod that later 2day & get rid of the cage. I'm headin to galway later so i'm gonna get 3 more fans in maplin. Another 90mmmm for front (below the 120mm, blowing back on gpu), 1 62mm for memory & 1 62mm for nb. Should keep my temps down. Whats the best adhesive to attach fans 2 ram & nb. Would sticky fixers be ok or what should i use?

PogMoThoin wrote:
    Whats the best adhesive to attach fans 2 ram & nb. Would sticky fixers be ok or what should i use?

what kind of fans are you attaching to the RAM? do you mean heatsinks? Its funny i'm actually looking for this stuff myself, to attach some heatsinks to the RAM on my GFX card. Its called Frag Tape, or thermal Tape (DONT GET THERMAL PADS, the're not adhesive) nowhere seems to supply it though, I think the oldschool way of doing it was just to mix some superglue with thermal paste, although that really is a permanent solution. If you find some thermal tape let me know where you got it.

There are heatspreaders already on the ram but everytime i up the vram my cpu temps shoot up. I was thinkin if i put a fan on ram blowing down, it might drop the temp of the board. Checked maplin catalogue & they dont have a great selection of fans. dont even seem to have 92mm led fans for the front of the case. Would pc world have any? Don't know of anywhere else in galway that might.

You can buy self adhesive zalman heatspreaders on komplett. I've seen them on ebay also. Only bout E7 +p&p.

Buy your fans from PC world, the prices in Maplins are ridiculous. In blanchardstown in dublin here is a maplins literally a stones throw from PC world, and they where selling an Akasa fan for €8, that could be bought in PC world for €5m I guess people who don't shop around will get stung. Oh and i'm not looking for heatspreaders, i'm looking for the tape thats on the bottom of them, I already have some used heatsinks but I need to apply some new tape to them to get them to stick.

Seriously consider installing a side fan, I have an akasa 45 CFM fan above my VGA, and when its turned off my OC'd graphics card starts creating artifacts after about an hour, with it on I never have problems now.

Cheers, pcworld only right beside maplin in galway. Those heatsinks are only E7. Just put them on your next order off komplett. I'll give you a shout next time i'm orderin off them. Only E7 + vat price of 2 pints :D : http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=306464

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

have alook at custom pc this month they sone a review no all the fans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Thermal pads from old intel and amd cpus were good for tha sort of thing. or use cable ties like i do :)

Didn't want to start a new mods thread, so i posted here.
    Put small 40mm fan on nb this eve. Controlled from board and is set on smartfan. Drops nb temps few degrees, lot more than i expected. Stuck it with epoxy.
    p8190077zs9.th.jpg
    Put extra 120mm fan at the front. moved hd cage down to bottom of case. stuck the fan to the back of 3 bezels.
    p8190076oe1.th.jpg
    Made a great job of the case. looks even better with the lights out.
    p8200079og9.th.jpg

Got 5' drop in temps overall with extra fan was hoping for more. not 2 bad i suppose. got another 60mm fan ere. was gonna put it on the ram, but dunno yet. might interfere with airflow. i'll see how things go.

Advertisement