Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Magnavox MVR810H DVD Harddrive Recorder

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭branners69

For what its worth I bought one of these today and have to say I am very impressed!! Bought it in Powercity for €255, thats €45 + €15 postage cheaper then Richersounds!! Magnavox are connected to Philips, as you can see here

Main problem is its slow to respond to the remote and it doesnt remember the last channel, ie Ext 2, your were looking at before you turned it off!! Remote is very cheap looking and it doesnt come with any scarts.

The positives are it played all divx and xvid I threw at it. It is extremely quiet, much quieter then my Pioneer 530. I recorded at SP and it was the exact same quality as the original souce, ie Sky. It also comes with a dv in connection.

It is very simple to operate and is a great bargain in my opinion.

If anyone has any questions then feel free!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

branners69 wrote:
    If anyone has any questions then feel free!!

Legend! Magnetbox!
    I know a genuine Panaphonics when I see one. And look, here's Magnetbox and Sorny!

Sorry, had to be done.

L.

Time will tell if its a "crappy knockoff!!";)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

Yeah, I've heard it's a rebadged philips, not sure which model though. I haven't heard the best of things about philips recorders though. Why do you need a new machine, branners?

sweetie wrote:
    Why do you need a new machine, branners?

I needed something for the bedroom, the missus is dropping in 3 weeks so she wanted to be able to record her programmes and I wanted something to play divx in the bedroom!!

I saw the Magnavox, and when I saw that Richersounds were flogging it I thought I'd take a chance!!

So far so good, its not quite as slick as the Pioneer 530 but for near on half the price it will hopefully do the job!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭aersat

Branner

The magnavox are indeed made by philips and you will probably see the philips equivalvent on the shelves beside the magnavox(Power City springs to mind),with just a different front and remote but with the same rear connections,case and spec.
    Not sure of the price difference though.

Also philips offer firmware and software updates on their branded dvd recorders via the philips support website.

Aersat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 304 ✭✭daphil

Got one in Flor Griffins, Cork on Tues. (283 Euro) I recorded a 2 hour program to hard disc using timer, (a miracle for me), and burned it to a single dvd disk. Everything worked perfectly quality excellent , unfortunately I had seen the program before without realising it when reading preview. Seems to be an excellent machine.
    Dave
    Cork for 3 in a row.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Goolay

Hiya,
    sorry to bring up an old thread but I was thinking of getting this recorder and was wondering if it can be made multiregion?
    cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭eirman

I recently bought a Magnavox Unit with a 250g hd from Philips (I cannot remember the model #). Playback was ok, but a-b editing was extremely difficult. It didn't even erase sections - it only marked sections for non-dubbing. I returned it two days later and bought a Sony.

My advice - do not buy Magnavox.

As stated above this recorder is not going to suit everyone, personally I wouldnt touch a Sony for free but hey thats my opinion!!

This is ideal for me, its in the bedroom and gives me all the functionality I need!!

I havent found a Region Free hack here, havent tried them yet so if anyone has, please let us know how you got on!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 racso77

I bought a magnavox on saturday but it only seems to work with a scart. This would be fine but the picture from the scart seems to be alot darker than the usual channels. Can it be tuned to a channel like a video or is it my television the reason that the picture is alot darker?

It could be your scart is a cheap one or your TV could have specific settings for your av channels - my tv does!

What other options other then scart are there?

In relation to people looking to make their machines region free I was going to try the options from my link above but when I put in a Region 1 disk it played it no bother!!

So either I made it region free before or else its region free out of the box!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

branners69 wrote:
    Hi,

does anyone have any info on the above. Its a dvd recorder with 160gb harddrive which plays divx. Was thinking about getting it for the bedroom!!

Its €275 in Powercity which is for nothing!! Just noticed that Richer Sounds have this for sale at €299!!
    http://www.richersounds.ie/asp/product.asp?ObjectID=938&Mode=0&CategoryID=3&SUB=25&ProductID=524

Any experiences appreciated!!

Cheers

Branners

For another €60 or so you could get a Toshiba unit which has timeslip on BOTH the DVD-RAM drive, and the Hard Drive. Far superior machine IMO.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

This machine is in DID at the moment for €199. Its mentioned on the bargain alerts section. You might want to hurry though, I got the last one in DID Tallaght today so try a differnt store instead.

Branners69 (or anyone else), whats Divx? Cheers

whats Divx?

The scientific definition is: DivX is a digital video compression format based on the MPEG-4 technology. DivX files can be downloaded over high-speed lines in a relatively short time without sacrificing the quality of the digital video. Often used on the Internet to exchange video files.

Basically some people download full seasons/ episodes of tv programmes and films over the internet. You used to need a pc to view them but some dvd players including the Magnavox have the capability of playing divx/xvid files! Its handy to have!

Divx/xvid files mostly have an avi file extension!

Hope this helps ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

Thanks for that Branners. My friend copied a bunch of avi files onto my laptop and used up about 15Gb! As you can tell, I don't know too much about these type of files. When I double click on them I can only hear the sound in windows media and cannot see a picture.:confused:

As these files are using up a lot of memory, I was thinking of getting them onto the magnavox, if possible. I'm not 100% sure but will I need to copy these files to a DVD disk and then onto the magnavox?

To be honeset, I should have read up about these files before I asked the question but thanks for the reply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 lafy

Hi Guys, I'm thinking about buying this device, but I have some additional questions to mp3 playback:
    1) does it support shuffle (random) playback?
    2) can shuffle be applied to more than one folder?
    3) does it support playlists?

Thank you for your reply,

Lafy

Advertisement