Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Checking for Wireless Availability(Supplier)

• 14-08-2006 6:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭

Is there any way to check if I can pick up a wireless connection at my house. I'm not talking about picking up someone elses home network, or a citywide connection but a main suppliers wireless connection.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

there is in the bigger cities yes but if you are on the west face of the Blaskets then no

try digiweb for their metro product

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Buceph wrote:
    Is there any way to check if I can pick up a wireless connection at my house. I'm not talking about picking up someone elses home network, or a citywide connection but a main suppliers wireless connection.

Maybe if you posted your location, someone here would tell you if there is a wireless system in place there. Could well be the easiest and cheapest solution to your question.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Buceph

I'm asking if there's any way to check if I can get the signal. With the Digiweb metro, is there any way of checking without having them come out to the house.

edit:

I live in Hilltown, near Carrigaline in Cork.

500 yards down the road, people can get bb over the phone line. And on the other side of the hill people can get a Nova networks connection. However on my side of the hill, I don't know. The thing is though, that I'll never show up on coverage maps. There's about 400square meters of this part of the hill that can see the broadcast towers at the airport. I know some companies have broadcast stations there. But none of them have mapped my area as covered because it's only a tiny bit of the area that can pick it up.

So, I was hoping there's a way of checking it out myself, without spending hours on the phone telling the companies that although I don't fall within their coverage maps, there is still a chance I can get their wireless service because I could have line of sight with their broadcast station.

amocom , irish broadband, digiweb in that order

see

http://www.amocom.com/coverage_map.html

Amocom is ridiculously expensive for terrible speeds. And if the centre of the circles on their coverage map is their broadcast towers, I won't be able to get.

Irish Broadband: I can't get, no signal.

Digiweb: I can't get, no signal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭eoinok

http://www.novanetworks.ie have outstanding coverage in Carrigaline

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Put your location in here and it gives 4 Wireless providers in Carrigaline. You still might not be able to avail of them, but give them a call anyway to find out.
    So, I was hoping there's a way of checking it out myself, without spending hours on the phone telling the companies that although I don't fall within their coverage maps, there is still a chance I can get their wireless service because I could have line of sight with their broadcast station.
    Lie, or be vague, about your exact location. See if you can get a guy out to do a signal test anyway.

eoinok wrote:
    http://www.novanetworks.ie have outstanding coverage in Carrigaline

Have you used them yourself? I know one guy who uses them and he says they are excellent. He set up his own server running off the connection and they were offering to help him if he need it.

They've agreed to send a guy out to check for a signal(I live slightly outside Carrigaline) so I just have to figure out a day I'll be there.

eoinok works for them so he does .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Triangle

yes you can check for yourself to see if there's any SSIDs broadcasting in your area but you need certain hardware. Check out http://www.irish-wan.com for more information on the hardware/software you will need.

• Advertisement

commercial wireless carriers will not broadcast SSIDs on 2.4Ghz , thats Irishwan or hacking territory not ISP territory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Triangle

Didn't know that. Well Scrap my idea then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 598 ✭✭✭arseagon

Sponge Bob wrote:
    commercial wireless carriers will not broadcast SSIDs on 2.4Ghz

There are a lot of commercial ISP's still broadcasting on 2.4Ghz. The reason being it's so bloodey difficult to get a licence to broadcast on anything other than 2.4 or 5.8 from comreg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭eoinok

spongebob,
    To clarify, I dont work for nova and you can ring Dave McDonald yourself to check that out.
    I do however am joint owner of a wireless company operating in cork, but not in city.
    My recommendation is based on 3 customers that nova have connected up, one of them being my sister of whose internet connection I have personally used, and all 3 are more than happy with nova.

Eoin

Advertisement