Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Living in the IFSC

Options
  • 14-08-2006 6:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭

I am moving to Dublin soon (starting a job with AIB ballsbridge) and was wondering what the IFSC is like to live in? Specifically is it safe and how long do you think it would take to walk to AIB bank place (across the road from the RDS). Any other info on moving to Dublin would be appreciated, thanks lads :)

And if you have a room to let around the 12th of September send me a PM

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭bringitdown

Lived there for a year, grand place, lots of shops, v. close to town and always felt safe.

Generally rents are very high in the IFSC and with your work not exactly a hop skip and a jump away - I would guestimate 3/4 hour walking you might be better spending your money on somewhere in Ringsend/Sandymount/Donnybrook/Ranelagh ... similar rents AFAIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

Taught it would only be 25mins or so and it's handy as its on a dart line (for the rainy days we sometimes get :rolleyes: ) I may just look at bit closer to bank place then. Not that many new'ish apartments in that area in the <650 per room mark. Its so annoying trying to sort out accommodation from Limerick

Go to http://www.dto.ie/web2006/jp.htm -> Travel Planner to plan your walking routes.

Give fairly accurate estimates and might help you decide on areas to consider.

Go to http://www.dto.ie/web2006/jp.htm -> Travel Planner to plan your walking routes.

Good man i was look for that site, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Anto McC

I would guestimate 3/4 hour walking

Am i reading this right,you guess its a 3/4 hour walk from IFSC to Ballsbridge?
    I think i must be reading it wrong but i want to be sure!

Its about a 25 min walk,15 if you walk fast like i do :)

• Advertisement

Anto McC wrote:
    Am i reading this right,you guess its a 3/4 hour walk from IFSC to Ballsbridge?
    I think i must be reading it wrong but i want to be sure!

Its about a 25 min walk,15 if you walk fast like i do :)
    Well not me, dto.ie provided my 'guess' from Custom House Harbour -> RDS...

Try it yourself ... based on averages of course so yes it can be done quicker.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

Hi,

The AIB opposite the RDS is called Bankcentre, not Bank Place. You should learn this before you start working there ;-)

I live at the top of Gardiner Street, and from there it takes me 45minutes to walk to Bankcentre. If I cycle, it takes 15/20mins, depending on traffic lights etc.. So from IFSC you're probably talking a 40minute walk or thereabouts.

Lots of places in Ballsbridge to rent aswell though if you're thinking of looking..

K.

Ya Bankcentre i dont know what i was thinking of. Wanted to move into the IFSC as it looks cool and the apartments are new, but if it will take me 40min to walk to work its not worth the hassle ill just keep looking for something in D4/D6

I live on the Quay opposite the IFSC(City Quay) and used to work in the RDS,it took me roughly 15/20 mins to walk,a half hour at max!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Anto McC wrote:
    I live on the Quay opposite the IFSC(City Quay) and used to work in the RDS,it took me roughly 15/20 mins to walk,a half hour at max!

Congrats on your super legs. Must be great having them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

Don't let the walk put you off. I'd much rather live in the City Centre and walk to Ballsbridge, than live in Ballsbridge and have to walk to the City Centre.

It's a great way to wind down after work, and it's a nice way to wake up in the morning.

Over the pedestrian bridge, down pearse st, up to grand canal/shelbourne road, and you're there. Piece of cake :)

K.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

irishguy wrote:
    I am moving to Dublin soon (starting a job with AIB ballsbridge) and was wondering what the IFSC is like to live in? Specifically is it safe and how long do you think it would take to walk to AIB bank place (across the road from the RDS). Any other info on moving to Dublin would be appreciated, thanks lads :)

And if you have a room to let around the 12th of September send me a PM

The IFSC is safe whenever ive walked down there, however, instead of seeing loads of wannabe scumbags in the area like you do in other parts of town you do at times get the scum of the earth coming down from Sheriff Street and around that area. They are very easy to spot though and thus easy to avoid. I just walked to the other side of the road just to be safe. Otherwise its a grand place:)

Congrats on your super legs. Must be great having them.

Either mine are super(thanks for saying so) or yours are really short!

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭mambo

Bear in mind that the DTO walking planner doesn't seem to know about the new(ish) pedestrian bridge over the liffey, which could cut a few minutes off the IFSC -> Ballsbridge journey. (It does on my journey the opposite direction every day)

Shot of bridge under construction, to show location:
    http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=dublin&ie=UTF8&t=h&om=1&ll=53.347355,-6.248174&spn=0.002069,0.00662

mambo wrote:
    Bear in mind that the DTO walking planner doesn't seem to know about the new(ish) pedestrian bridge over the liffey, which could cut a few minutes off the IFSC -> Ballsbridge journey. (It does on my journey the opposite direction every day)

Shot of bridge under construction, to show location:
    http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=dublin&ie=UTF8&t=h&om=1&ll=53.347355,-6.248174&spn=0.002069,0.00662

Ya it does throw it off a bit, i think it may be close enough. Ill see if there are any places around there when i am looking

Advertisement