Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Complaint

Options
  • 14-08-2006 6:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭

I recently got banned for 'advertising hallucigenics'. Now, I didnt know making a topic asking people what Purple Lobes (which are LEGAL) were, and what experiences people have could be mistaken for telling people to actually take the friggin things.

Put this side by side with the lengthy 6 page discussion of Salvia Divinorum which included hints and tips on how to use and where to obtain the drug, well, you can understand how mighty pissed off I am...

An angry boards.ie user.
    :mad:
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

Purpe lobes/What is their chemical name/formula?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Havent a clue, which is why I asked what they are. All I know is they are purple (duh) and are listed under the 'Legal High' umbrella...

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

It was probably deleted pending a final decision on the "Legal Highs Forum" which hasn't happened yet (busy admins).

I can't imagine that this thread will do you any favours man.

Check erowid.Until there is a forum for it.Don.t post it here.

Ok, well maybe the title 'complaint' isnt accurate as such, consider this a query to avoid future bans if you want... :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

Can you link the "other thread" that was 6 pages long?

Cant be arsed finding it, just search for 'Salvia' and its the one about it possibly being banned on Monday (which was false btw)...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Here ecksor

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

Archimedes wrote:
    Cant be arsed finding it,
    Not really a compelling case then for someone to do extra work to find out what your problem is, is there, if you "can't be arsed"?

• Advertisement

I glanced over about 40 posts on the Salvia thread and it seems focused differently than a direct enquiry about "experiences" but perhaps I've missed the point.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Op, where is your original thread?
    It doesn't sound like you should be banned, but I would have to read it before saying that for definite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

Maybe it was posted in an unsuitable forum? If the drug is legal, and you were in the right forum it does seem like a strange move tbh.
    I could go into a forum and ask people what alcohol is like without anyone batting an eyelid, im sure...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭chump

Archimedes wrote:
    I recently got banned for 'advertising hallucigenics'. Now, I didnt know making a topic asking people what Purple Lobes (which are LEGAL) were, and what experiences people have could be mistaken for telling people to actually take the friggin things.

Put this side by side with the lengthy 6 page discussion of Salvia Divinorum which included hints and tips on how to use and where to obtain the drug, well, you can understand how mighty pissed off I am...

An angry boards.ie user.
    :mad:

Sounds very unfair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

This was the thread I believe.

What hullaballoo said. Also that "can't be arsed" attitude won't get you very far around these parts.

edit: from the charter, Telling people where to buy or requesting that information isn't allowed.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Posting a link where people could actually buy the drug might have been your mistake, legal or not that kind of thing would be frowned on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,963 ✭✭✭SpAcEd OuT

If I told people where you could buy a certain type of alcoholic beverage would i be banned?

If the substance is legal[which it is] I think the banning is completely unfair I doubt anyone is going to sue you for telling them where they can buy a LEGAL substance

also what is going on with the Legal Highs Forum?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭iFight

Does sound a little unfair if it is legal. But as stevenmu said, posting where you could buy it was probably the mistake

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭antSionnach

That website looks like more of a descriptiion of the drug rather than the poster's enticement of people to purchase it to be fair. And like it is legal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭chump

Yea, it's an APPALLING decision.

• Advertisement

The 'cant be arsed' attitude can be attributed to the fact that the ban is lifted, theres nothing I can do now but moan and complain about the fact how I got treated unfairly and differently to others who have done the exact same....

Alcohol is legal, and boards.ie makes a point to organise a Beers meet-up, giving the name and location of the pub it takes place in. How does that differ from what I did? Both are legal, and I only gave that link as an information page only. Also, I should point out that many in the Salvia topic gave locations and websites on where to buy it...

I PM'd the mod that closed it, but do you think I got a reply? Of course not...

:rolleyes:

Archimedes wrote:
    The 'cant be arsed' attitude can be attributed to the fact that the ban is lifted, theres nothing I can do now but moan and complain about the fact how I got treated unfairly and differently to others who have done the exact same....

Alcohol is legal, and boards.ie makes a point to organise a Beers meet-up, giving the name and location of the pub it takes place in. How does that differ from what I did? Both are legal, and I only gave that link as an information page only. Also, I should point out that many in the Salvia topic gave locations and websites on where to buy it...

I PM'd the mod that closed it, but do you think I got a reply? Of course not...

:rolleyes:

Did you even read this post? And how do you know who locked the thread? The only two people to post in the thread was yourself and another poster, who isn't a mod.

Well, I don't know how much time you gave the mod but they may just not have been online since you PMed them. As for the "can't be arsed" attitude, normally I'd just ignore a complaint that professed that atttitude but of course our search feature is a bit limited these days so I'm willing to compromise there.

The point of a "moan and complain" on here should be either to get some sort of clarification or response. We can do that more satisfactorily given more information. I don't personally make a habit of reading after hours and I don't think the other admins do either.

As a general response to your point about alchohol and Salvia and the hypocrisy. Well, you have a point, but we've not really implemented a careful policy on it. It's a bit like sex being legal but we weren't willing to have an open sex/sexuality forum. It was a matter of lengthy discussion at the recent boards beers where my main personal concern was what our social responsibility is in a matter like this. On the one hand I have a concern that a forum for similar discussion will attract some dodgy content but on the other hand I recognise that there is valid discussion to be had. We're just being very conservative about it. Anyway, we did reach some concensus and I'll try to see if we can get something worked out, although this is probably the busiest period we've had in years for sorting such things out so bear with us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 BoardTracker

our search feature is a bit limited these days

Speaking of which.. have you checked out the new upgraded search today? ;)

You can now search by user, category and in theory search within forums although that only seems to work for admins at the moment so I guess there is some limit set there.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Archimedes - how do you know that Purple Ohms are legal in Ireland?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

When magic mushrooms were banned legal alternatives such as salvia, purple ohms hit the shelves practically the next day.
    It's because of what is in magic mushrooms that makes them illegal and as people don't really know much about what is in these legal highs, what affect it has and because there have been no big accidents here, it is legal.
    I know these ones are definitely legal in europe anyway, unless things changed quite recently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭slipss

Archimedes I sent you a private message in relation to your post, don't know if you got it, anyways hope it helped.

No, didnt get one....

Advertisement