Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless dongle locking out other users on router/AP

Options
  • 14-08-2006 7:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭

Sup Lads,

I have an issue with a Belkin 802.11G USB Dongle.

My current setup consists of a Linksys Router/Wireless AP with 2 machines running of it. One machine is using a DLink 802.11b PCI card to connect while the other machine is connect to one of the Ethernet ports. Everything works nice and dandy with this setup.

Recently, a 3rd housemate decided she wants access to the network so we picked up a cheap wireless Belkin dongle from PC World. the device is installed and picks up the network ok. The device also connects to the internet as expected.

The problem is that when it connects to any server on the net it locks out the PC connected via Ethernet from the network. It also seems to cause the Router to lock up. The only way to retore access to the Router again is to power cycle it..

Any suggestions :/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Snowbat

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

Sup Lads,

I have an issue with a Belkin 802.11G USB Dongle.

My current setup consists of a Linksys Router/Wireless AP with 2 machines running of it. One machine is using a DLink 802.11b PCI card to connect while the other machine is connect to one of the Ethernet ports. Everything works nice and dandy with this setup.

Recently, a 3rd housemate decided she wants access to the network so we picked up a cheap wireless Belkin dongle from PC World. the device is installed and picks up the network ok. The device also connects to the internet as expected.

The problem is that when it connects to any server on the net it locks out the PC connected via Ethernet from the network. It also seems to cause the Router to lock up. The only way to retore access to the Router again is to power cycle it..

Any suggestions :/
    Is the DLink machine still able to connect?

It sounds like you've set up a static IP address on the wired PC, and used an address from the DHCP pool, which the router is reallocating (because the wired PC isn't asking for it any more).

If you're going to follow bogus advice about using static addresses, make sure you assign them from outside the DHCP pool.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

hmmm was under the impression that dhcp was disabled but it isn't. will try it out. Cheers.

Advertisement