Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Over 80 Mowag personel carriers procured, whats next?

• 14-08-2006 8:09pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭

Im sure alot of you are darn nigh fed up looking at the new Mowags by now but thankfully their procurement is nearing completion. So what do we need, require or would want next. Should we be looking to aquire medium strength armoured tanks to add a bit of back-bone to our ground compliment? Given that the Mowag APCs were bought using funds from the sale of lands are we going to see procurment on a similar scale again?? Also was the defence department right to buy the APC's in the first place or could they have spread the wealth a bit more?

Also whats the Mowag's capibility. What weapons are mounted etc etc. I imagine its just light machine guns???:rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

just .50 cal's/GPMG's on the majority of them,i think about twelve or so of the new ones will have 25/30mm chaingun fitted like the bradley/scimitar etc...

next up a recon tank to replace the scorpion,but i'd say go for the chaingun on these( preferably the same as fitted to the newer mowag's(,for ease of training/spares etc)
    a 90mm gun ain't much use against tanks anymore
    might be nice to fit it with an ATWG system like TOW for extra fire power

a few more recovery trucks for the mowags/bigger units (apparently they were sweating it one would breakdown on paddy's day!)
    about twenty mortar carrier versions of the mowag would be good too

i suppose if we were getting more involved with EU battlegroup stuff a squadron of leopard II's would be nice,but otherwise they wouldn't see much work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Maskhadov

The cav need some of these (105mm mowag)

IAVFiringCanon.jpg

The DF need some of these (mowag eagles) as an armoured replacement for the nissans overseas.

mowag_eagle_hrn.jpg

We could do with some of these (leopard 2) and actually have a tank for the tank squadron (not a recce vehicle)

bw_kpz_leopard_2_a6-048i.jpg

the scorpion needs to be either upgraded or replaced. I would personally go with the Fennek

fennek_02.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭muletide

darkman2 wrote:
    Im sure alot of you are darn nigh fed up looking at the new Mowags by now but thankfully their procurement is nearing completion. So what do we need, require or would want next. Should we be looking to aquire medium strength armoured tanks to add a bit of back-bone to our ground compliment? Given that the Mowag APCs were bought using funds from the sale of lands are we going to see procurment on a similar scale again?? Also was the defence department right to buy the APC's in the first place or could they have spread the wealth a bit more?

Also whats the Mowag's capibility. What weapons are mounted etc etc. I imagine its just light machine guns???:rolleyes:

Who is sick of looking at Mowags, I guarantee you no one in the infantry is sick of looking at them apart from maybe the guys running the courses. They are an excellent machine and a godsend

last i heard DF were testing up armoured hummers/mowag variant in the curragh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

Errr,not trying to rain on the parade.But is it practible to have a squradron of Leo 2's in Ireland????Or any MBT for that matter,we are not exactly tank country.[Open plains,desert,etc] Apart from possibly Lenister and the Curragh plains?We have narrow roads,bogs,rocky outcrops,boreens,etc.And even good grassland or arable land can be wet for six months of the year,and it will even bog down agricultural equipment,what will it do to a sixty ton MBT?Not only do you need the tanks you need heavy recovery equipment and transporters to shift if stuck or move quickly on the road. More expense.What is it ,three ancilary service vechicles for two tanks?Wheeld armour seems to be the way to go in Ireland.We did have INMHO an exellent maid of all work,albeit expensive and stupidly converted to ambulances.The Mercedes G wagon.wonder what ever happened to those two ambulance G wagons ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭IrishAirCorps

punchdrunk wrote:
    just .50 cal's/GPMG's on the majority of them,i think about twelve or so of the new ones will have 25/30mm chaingun fitted like the bradley/scimitar etc...

In all honesty i was just going to ask this as i havent seen many Mowags lately with any type of armament on them at all...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭IrishAirCorps

punchdrunk wrote:

Ya thats true AFAIK

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Stimpyone

punchdrunk wrote:

It's the URO VAMTAC, the Spanish version of the Hummer that's undergoing trials.

http://www.parque4x4.com.ar/recibidos/uro/

Stimpyone wrote:
    It's the URO VAMTAC, the Spanish version of the Hummer that's undergoing trials.

http://www.parque4x4.com.ar/recibidos/uro/

Looks good ,a cheaper version of the Hummer or what??About the only difference I can see is the dash board layout?? Next question.When are they making a civvie version??:D

Looks good ,a cheaper version of the Hummer or what??About the only difference I can see is the dash board layout?? Next question.When are they making a civvie version??:D

Word is they are better that the Hummer ( standard version and marine )which was trialed earlier this year AFSIK. Standard roof ring for weapons mount too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭babybundy

punchdrunk wrote:
    i thought they looked at hummers a few years ago and said no because of size and running cost think of it back roads , old forestry roads

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

The hummer does something like 11-13 miles per gallon.This is simple unsustainable.

Stimpyone wrote:
    Word is they are better that the Hummer ( standard version and marine )which was trialed earlier this year AFSIK. Standard roof ring for weapons mount too.

Hummer ??? oh my god, where is Homer and Bart ??? Its humvee... driving around in a hummer sounds like a simpsons episode.

I would rather go for the Humvee or Eagle than the spanish vehicle.

Maskhadov wrote:
    Hummer ??? oh my god, where is Homer and Bart ??? Its humvee... driving around in a hummer sounds like a simpsons episode..

Yeah sorry Humvee... Apparently the lads trialing it are calling the Spanish version the Euro Jeep.
    Maskhadov wrote:
    I would rather go for the Humvee or Eagle than the spanish vehicle.

Why so? Do you know some thing we don't. discussion about it on IMO. Those lads would know more about it than I.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭piraka

Dub13 wrote:
    The hummer does something like 11-13 miles per gallon.This is simple unsustainable.

I'm sure that these beasts would be able to use biofuels.

Dub13 wrote:

Hmm the civvie version does somthing like 20/22 mpg.Why would the military version do less?Also it is diesel.so yes it should be able to run on with the proper modifications to the engine .diesel,bio diesel,veg oil,veg waste oil,eth/diesel.That is at least the plan with the US forces by the year 2012,that their transport and tanks,etc should be 90% multi fuel capable.
    Trouble with the Humvee/hummer in civvie speak is it's size.It is the width of an m1a1 Abrams MBT.It is supposedly designed to ride in the m1a1s tracks to keep up with them or somthing like that.Which would make it a tad large for here.

Hmm the civvie version does somthing like 20/22 mpg.Why would the military version do less?Also it is diesel.so yes it should be able to run on with the proper modifications to the engine .diesel,bio diesel,veg oil,veg waste oil,eth/diesel.That is at least the plan with the US forces by the year 2012,that their transport and tanks,etc should be 90% multi fuel capable.
    Trouble with the Humvee/hummer in civvie speak is it's size.It is the width of an m1a1 Abrams MBT.It is supposedly designed to ride in the m1a1s tracks to keep up with them or somthing like that.Which would make it a tad large for here.

Apparently the Humvee is the same width as the Mowag Piranha. The "Euro Jeep" is smaller. There's a picture of it ( on IMO ) taken from the top deck of a Dublin Bus driving around Christchurch, seems to fit nicely into the lanes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 821 ✭✭✭FiSe

I still don't know what you have against both, Hummer and HUMVEE :D

But Defender is choice of light vehicle of many armed forces on the continent /as first named vehicle is little bit "too" american/. I am not saying it's bad. Together with some heavier stuff ofcourse.

If you thinking about overseas operations, wheeled APC, like Mowag, does grand. Some larger calibre gun on top of few of them is the right question to ask, though...

And, let's be honest, for money transports, Nissan is the way to go.

It is supposedly designed to ride in the m1a1s tracks to keep up with them or somthing like that.Which would make it a tad large for here.
    thats to do with land mines
    we need 2 types 4x4's here one heavily armoured like the hummer or eagle and one like the defender because of the irish roads

What would you folks think of the Mercedes G wagon as a replacement for Nissans?I am not talking of the pansified chips with everything movie star model.But say a 80s style,all mechanical,rubber matted,stripped down to milspec with a non chipped big diesel and auto/ir manual box.Comes std with independant lockable fnt/rear diffs,low range on the fly selector box.In and all appx 16 gear selections,from low low crawler to 140kph on road?
    Just that INMHO mercedes built the ultimate 4wd about 20 years ago,and due to its cost no one was intrested!Also do you prefer in a military sit a chips with everything engine or somthing that can be fixed with a hammer and socket set?

• Advertisement

we need this as a replacement for the nissans

MovageagleIV.jpg

true...would be handy for the finglas ATM run alright...

ya i can see it now the atm hanging out the back after being ripped out of the wall with a jcb:D :D:D:D

Currently the Defence Forces operate 1 GPMG at section level (9 soldiers). Military thinking is to have far more fire teams with smaller calibre weapons. So hopefully the DF will follow suit and acquire a new 5.56mm squad automatic weapon at section level. Two per section level (moving the GPMG to platoon level)

M249mg.jpg

thats some thing i have always said in a section there should be 1 gpmg 1 saw various styres and the 2icshould have a long barreled weapon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭cushtac

Maskhadov wrote:
    Currently the Defence Forces operate 1 GPMG at section level (9 soldiers). Military thinking is to have far more fire teams with smaller calibre weapons. So hopefully the DF will follow suit and acquire a new 5.56mm squad automatic weapon at section level. Two per section level (moving the GPMG to platoon level)

This may happen for units deploying overseas, they're also looking at various ways to improve & lighten the GPMG.

thats easy get rid of it from the section

babybundy wrote:
    thats easy get rid of it from the section

How does that improve the weapon itself?

They're looking at ways to make the weapon more effective and easier to carry, changing it's role in the platoon won't do that.

it means i dont have to listen to the ptes complain when carrying it

• Advertisement

So they'll complain about something else instead.

Advertisement