Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The FAI are jokers part 8,987,123

• 14-08-2006 8:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭

Arrive home to Ireland end June.

Had made promise to myself while on extended holiday to start following domestic football more upon my return.

July 6th: Register and sign up for eircom league weekly newsletter from fai.ie

Today: Still waiting for the bloody thing to be e-mailed even once.

Does anyone get this newsletter????

The way I can see it is that it's

a: not being written and they're incompetent for leaving it offered on the web

b: being written but not going out which means they're idiots for never checking it

I mean they're trying to promote intrest in the EL FFS!!!! I get home, first page I go to is fai. Sign up and just wait a few days for the newsletter. My carreer as an EL supporter is just about to begin.

What do they do to the fragile wannabe EL supporter, IGNORE HIM!!!!! Let him watch the CL qualifiers and community shield and forget he ever wanted to get into the EL

ASSHOLES!!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Hi gosplan.

Have you chosen a team yet? Been to a game? May I suggest the Bohemians -v- Shelbourne match at Dalymount Park on Friday evening.

Never, ever expect anything more from the FAI as far as the eL goes, they don't give a shiney shyte about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Dont forget eL weekly tonight on TV3, 11.30 (I think?). As good a place as any to start tonight. Keep an eye out for Keith Foys goal for Sligo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

ANeedham at fai.ie

email him with your concerns. He is a decent bloke, and does care about what the fans think.

gimmick wrote:
    ANeedham at fai.ie

email him with your concerns. He is a decent bloke, and does care about what the fans think.
    Top bloke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭johnos

gosplan wrote:
    I mean they're trying to promote intrest in the EL FFS!!!! I get home, first page I go to is fai. Sign up and just wait a few days for the newsletter. My carreer as an EL supporter is just about to begin.

What do they do to the fragile wannabe EL supporter, IGNORE HIM!!!!! Let him watch the CL qualifiers and community shield and forget he ever wanted to get into the EL
    ASSHOLES!!!!
    It's just part of the initiation. Call it a test.
    After a while, you'll get used not only to being ignored and led up various garden paths, but being actively viewed as an alien life form, here to wreck people's innocent enjoyent of EPL/SPL.
    eL isn't for just anyone, you know!
    Welcome home!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Huggles

johnos wrote:
    It's just part of the initiation. Call it a test.
    After a while, you'll get used not only to being ignored and led up various garden paths, but being actively viewed as an alien life form, here to wreck people's innocent enjoyent of EPL/SPL.
    eL isn't for just anyone, you know!
    Welcome home!

LMFAO

Check out eircom league weekly at 11.30 to see the standard of referees we have too, best in the world, top notch professional fellows. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

seansouth wrote:
    Hi gosplan.

Have you chosen a team yet? Been to a game? May I suggest the Bohemians -v- Shelbourne match at Dalymount Park on Friday evening.

Never, ever expect anything more from the FAI as far as the eL goes, they don't give a shiney shyte about it.

Yeah, am going to this. Saw that Pats-Bohs is going to be all-ticket, I've no worries paying at the gate for a league match do I??

As regards alliegence, this match will be the decider I think. So far I'm leaning towards Bohs but Shels may knock me out of my seat with a 'Derry in europe'-eqsue performance, we'll see.

gosplan wrote:
    Yeah, am going to this. Saw that Pats-Bohs is going to be all-ticket, I've no worries paying at the gate for a league match do I??

As regards alliegence, this match will be the decider I think. So far I'm leaning towards Bohs but Shels may knock me out of my seat with a 'Derry in europe'-eqsue performance, we'll see.

Choose Bohs!!! Shels are wrapping up in a few weeks anyways!!!

You will love the atmosphere in Dalyer on Friday night. You will have no problem getting tickets, get there good and early and ask for Jodi stand tickets. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

We are playing Longford on Firday night, avoid it if possible.

Wish i could :(

kdjac

KdjaC wrote:
    We are playing Longford on Firday night, avoid it if possible.

Wish i could :(

kdjac

:DLOL

• Advertisement

TheGooner wrote:
    Choose Bohs!!! Shels are wrapping up in a few weeks anyways!!!

If you pick Shels you'll just be called a fair-weather anyway. But then again you'll have European football next season...

As "Our Graham with the reminders" used to say on Blind Date...

The choice is yours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

The goals from the Shels matches are usually available after a couple of days on the club website. :) Plenty there to look back at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

I think it's Bohs-Rovers you may have heard is all-ticket, can't think of any upcoming Bohs-Pat's games that are all-ticket. That would be a good game to go to for the uninitiated. It's the only real city derby in Ireland. Pat's-Shels built up an artificial hatred for a while from around 2000-2003, but this is the daddy. :)

gosplan wrote:

I think you mean Shams-Bohs there.
    You won't have a problem paying at the turnstile in Dalymount for Bohs-Shels, but you will probably have to choose which part of the ground you go to. I respectfully suggest the Jodi Stand (the one with all the Bohs fans in it) especially now that the weather has turned! :p
    You can take my seat. Looks like I can't go to witness what might turn out to be an upset for the Shelbourne machine.
    Incidentally, if email is what floats your boat, you can subscribe to the email edition of Bohsnews here. We (actually I) do a much better job than the FAI. :D

Bateman wrote:
    I think it's Bohs-Rovers you may have heard is all-ticket, can't think of any upcoming Bohs-Pat's games that are all-ticket. That would be a good game to go to for the uninitiated. It's the only real city derby in Ireland. Pat's-Shels built up an artificial hatred for a while from around 2000-2003, but this is the daddy. :)

Lol So is it true that Bohs kids are flying over a few Celtic nutters and Rovers kids are getting some heads form Cliftonville to fight?

A rovers Ultra i know told me this and i nearly wet myself laughing. So whose gang is really bigger?

OP avoid Bohs Rovers game like the plague, its going to be one very big mess which will probably make front page headlines, and something you really dont want to be in the middle off.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

KdjaCL wrote:
    r?

OP avoid Bohs Rovers game like the plague, its going to be one very big mess which will probably make front page headlines, and something you really dont want to be in the middle off.

kdjac

Very easy to avoid being involved in the scum element and the rest of the atmosphere and match is always fantastic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Maybe you gave them the wrong email address

KdjaCL wrote:
    Lol So is it true that Bohs kids are flying over a few Celtic nutters and Rovers kids are getting some heads form Cliftonville to fight?

A rovers Ultra i know told me this and i nearly wet myself laughing. So whose gang is really bigger?

kdjac

Is that post some kind of joke? Come on, I never had you down as a Maud Flanders type. It's very rare that anyone who doesn't want trouble finds themselves caught up in it at a Bohs-Rovers game. In fact, it's almost unheard of, even on an anecdotal basis.

Some Rovers fans are friends with some Cliftonville fans, they talk openly about their travel arrangements on the Rovers forum, so it's hardly the imaginary hooligan plot you're alluding to.

Every major city derby in the world has or had violence associated with it. If someone attending for the first time entered the ground 30 minutes before kick-off, they won't see a thing.

And we have the biggest gang. Everyone knows that. ;)

The only time Ive been caught up in trouble was when the window at the seat I was sitting at on the bus leaving Inchicore got smashed by Rovers kids throwing stones, but I knew there was a risk of that and could easily have gotten a later bus. The Guards also played a part in the problem letting everyone out at the same time, these matches cant be played at Richmond anymore as a result and a far better job is done in and around Dalymount.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 528 ✭✭✭telecaster

Gosplan, there's regular blog articles on www.walkthechalk.com to keep you up to speed on the game.

If you still haven't chosen a team to follow yet, may I recommend that you simply do not. Being a neutral supporter of the league allows a great perspective of how the game is run and the quality of the football.

Seriously, if you choose to support Bohs, you would have been at Bray v Bohs last week rather than Shels v Cork. When you're neutral you can just go to the best game each week, and not get involved in the playschool level arguments that the fans have about their clubs.

• Advertisement

telecaster wrote:
    not get involved in the playschool level arguments that the fans have about their clubs.

:rolleyes:

telecaster wrote:
    If you still haven't chosen a team to follow yet, may I recommend that you simply do not. Being a neutral supporter of the league allows a great perspective of how the game is run and the quality of the football.
    I'm trying to put this nicely. I think it would take a very special person indeed to be a neutral follower of the eL. Even following Shels is preferable to that fate.

KdjaCL wrote:
    kdjac
    Kd, surprised that you would post OTT like that, given that most of your other contributions are well reasoned.
    Generally speaking, trouble at games, including this fixture, can by avoided by ordinary fans without too much effort, i.e., by going to the match, watching it, following the advice of security etc, and then going home again, hopefully having won.
    I've heard (here and in media) about handbags, but I've yet to actually see any.

johnos wrote:
    I think it would take a very special person indeed to be a neutral follower of the eL.

I'll take it as a compliment so Johnos :)

telecaster wrote:
    Gosplan, there's regular blog articles on www.walkthechalk.com to keep you up to speed on the game.

Seriously, if you choose to support Bohs, you would have been at Bray v Bohs last week rather than Shels v Cork. When you're neutral you can just go to the best game each week, and not get involved in the playschool level arguments that the fans have about their clubs.

Probably the most bizarre post Ive ever seen and probably doesnt deserve a proper response but if you cant see it you dont know what it is to be a football fan, I would rather be a barstooler than a neutral.

You may get to watch the best match of the week every week but you never get to feel the glory - standing on the pitch in Buckley park waiting for the whistle to blow in Tolka so your team can win their 1st title in 25 years, you may not have been following them that long but you see how much it means to some of the older fans and you really get caught up in the celebrations right around to the pain off seeing a tax evader steal 1 off your best players along with two donkeys he thought were your best players and paying them with stolen money

So is any Bohs or Rovers fan here who is going to this game going to bring kids to it?

I hope nothing happens as this season has had enough retardness surrounding it, but tbh all i can see if Rovers and Bohs fans capping off an EL season in disgrace. Maybe Rovers fans(the minorority element) will have grown up and realised that anything that happens will affect what league they are in next season. Bohs(also minorit element) also have a part to play.

But i can see nothing but bad things happening at this match.

kdjac

KdjaCL wrote:
    So is any Bohs or Rovers fan here who is going to this game going to bring kids to it?
    Bringing both my kids to it, and their mates if they want, as I have done for last three seasons. My two wouldn't miss it.
    If you've never been to a Bohs-Shams derby, then you cannot appreciate how electric the atmosphere is. As I say, we'll go, see, hope to conquer, then go home.
    SRFC and BFC are co-operating on security and safety, and ringleaders are banned.

johnos wrote:
    Bringing both my kids to it, and their mates if they want, as I have done for last three seasons. My two wouldn't miss it.
    If you've never been to a Bohs-Shams derby, then you cannot appreciate how electric the atmosphere is. As I say, we'll go, see, hope to conquer, then go home.
    SRFC and BFC are co-operating on security and safety, and ringleaders are banned.

I second both points made. As always BEST will do a fantastic job.

I would love to bring mykids to a Rovers game but its not safe. I hope it goes well but seriously doubt it.

kdjac

• Advertisement

KdjaCL wrote:
    I would love to bring mykids to a Rovers game but its not safe. I hope it goes well but seriously doubt it.

kdjac

I think your over reacting Kdjac the couple of fights I have witnessed have been between equally numbered gangs of 2-16 year olds. I have never seen a man and his kids attacked.

bohsman wrote:
    seeing a tax evader steal 1 off your best players along with two donkeys he thought were your best players and paying them with stolen money
    :rolleyes:

Jesus, will you get over it ffs.

bohsman wrote:
    Probably the most bizarre post Ive ever seen and probably doesnt deserve a proper response but if you cant see it you dont know what it is to be a football fan, I would rather be a barstooler than a neutral.

You may get to watch the best match of the week every week but you never get to feel the glory - standing on the pitch in Buckley park waiting for the whistle to blow in Tolka so your team can win their 1st title in 25 years, you may not have been following them that long but you see how much it means to some of the older fans and you really get caught up in the celebrations right around to the pain off seeing a tax evader steal 1 off your best players along with two donkeys he thought were your best players and paying them with stolen money

A chip on your shoulder about neutrals now aswell? Good man.

Maybe we should all stay at home and perfect Bohs can have their own kickaround every week with only their own fans watching them - would that make you happy?

I should randomly pick a team to support just so I can become short sighted in my view of the game and bitter about every other club...er no thanks.

telecaster wrote:
    just so I can become short sighted in my view of the game and bitter about every other club...er no thanks.

You've chips on both shoulders mate. A large portion of the real thick, crinkle cut type.

If you're suggesting that someone who has been going to games supporting the same team for 15 years is automatically short-sighted and bitter towards all other clubs, then I think it's obvious to all who the short-sighted one is. if you don't know what it's like to support a team, why assume you know what people's attitudes are?

I know plenty of hardcore fans of eL teams who know enough about the game to not have to need the stats on your website in order to make money from gambling on the eL. In fact, I'd go as far as to say that your site is ideal for blow-ins, of whom Cork and Shels seem to have the most, who don't know enough about the league to form opinions before placing bets.

telecaster wrote:
    I should randomly pick a team to support just so I can become short sighted in my view of the game and bitter about every other club...er no thanks.

How did you pick the team you support so?

KdjaCL wrote:

As I have already said, I can say with a lot of conviction from going to at least 20 of these games you are over-reacting. But the honest answer is yes. If I had kids, or even if I was responsible for someone else's, I'd bring them. I was brought as a kid, all through the early 90s when there was always mither around the RDS and Dalymount, and often inside the ground, which you don't get these days.

• Advertisement

I'd bring a kid, but not a car. I've had a window smashed outside Dalymount on match night before.

Bateman wrote:
    In fact, I'd go as far as to say that your site is ideal for blow-ins, of whom Cork and Shels seem to have the most

Complain about the lack of attention the league gets, then whinge about blow-ins, that's progressive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

telecaster wrote:
    Complain about the lack of attention the league gets, then whinge about blow-ins, that's progressive.
    And the fundamental problem behind the poor crowds and interest in the EL in this county.

gimmick wrote:
    How did you pick the team you support so?

I don't support a team. A parallel might be in the world cup where you just watched and enjoyed the games without really supporting any one team. Sure there's some teams you prefer over another and you might be rooting for one team in a particular game, but there wouldn't be one team you support to the exclusion of all others.

I appreciate it's not hugely common for a supporter of football not to support a specific team, but hey it happens.

telecaster wrote:

A
    I don't "complain about the lack of attention the league gets"

B
    I wasn't "whinging about blow-ins". I know plenty. Everyone has to start somewhere. Some people have difficulties acknowledging that they exist, that's all.

• Advertisement

And the fundamental problem behind the poor crowds and interest in the EL in this county.

So the attitudes of other eL fans is the reason the leaggue is struggling for life? Get real. The problems lie solely with the fact that the FAI, and our government have not shown the slightest interest in the domestic game.

The biggest problem is that they dont care, and their apathy continues through to the casual fan, who will see the FAIs apathy as reasoning not to support the domestic product, and lets me honest, I couldnt blame them. But its a pity that this apathy also leads to people who rarely, if ever, go to games to take swipes at it at every given oppurtunity.
    telecatser wrote:
    I don't support a team. A parallel might be in the world cup where you just watched and enjoyed the games without really supporting any one team. Sure there's some teams you prefer over another and you might be rooting for one team in a particular game, but there wouldn't be one team you support to the exclusion of all others.

Fair point.

Bateman wrote:
    A
    I don't "complain about the lack of attention the league gets"

B
    I wasn't "whinging about blow-ins". I know plenty. Everyone has to start somewhere. Some people have difficulties acknowledging that they exist, that's all.

A = You didn't specifically, but I can't imagine you are happy with the league's current exposure.

B = I've altered my signature in recognition if the blow-in factor and a general smile to show it's all good fun :)

telecaster wrote:
    A = You didn't specifically, but I can't imagine you are happy with the league's current exposure.

B = I've altered my signature in recognition if the blow-in factor and a general smile to show it's all good fun :)

A - I'm not, but I'm too weary to protest anymore. The clubs, the association, and the media are principally to blame, in that order, and things don't look like changing any time soon. :(

B - :)

iolence erupted as rival soccer fans clashed outside a Dublin bar tonight.

Beer kegs and traffic cones were thrown as chanting Shamrock Rovers and Bohemians supporters fought outside the Hill 16 pub on Gardiner Street.

Neither group had been drinking in the bar, with staff believing fans had pre-arranged the mini-riot.

“Rovers supporters were coming across town on a bus and saw a group of Bohemians stood outside,” said a bar worker.

“They got off the bus and started chanting. Then more Bohemian fans appeared, they seemed to have been waiting nearby for this to happen.

“I think they had arranged to meet around here beforehand to have a mini-riot.”

The Hoops were taking on the Bohs at Tolka Park in the third round of the FAI Carlsberg Cup in the local derby which kicked off at 7.45pm. Trouble between fans started shortly after 7pm.

One motorist who witnessed the clash said he has to swerve his vehicle for fear of being hit with a keg.

“The fight just broke out as I was passing,” he said. “The fans were chanting and gardaí came pouring on to the scene.”

The Hill 16 is better known as a favourite haunt of GAA supporters attending Croke Park.

“We have never had any trouble like this before,” the bar man continued. “This is the first time we have ever seen anything like this.

“Soccer fans never drink here, it is too far from both Tolka Park and Dalymount Park.”

A garda spokeswoman said officers were aware of a number of public order offences in the area, but no arrests had been made.

“The Garda Public Order unit is on standby at the scene and will remain in the area throughout the evening until after the match and until all fans have dispersed,” she added.

http://www.breakingnews.ie/2006/08/25/story273958.html

Well done lads and its only early.....

kdjac

KdjaCL wrote:
    http://www.breakingnews.ie/2006/08/25/story273958.html

Well done lads and its only early.....

kdjac

jaysis that took no time.

TheGooner wrote:
    jaysis that took no time.

yet noone is surprised.....

kdjac

I was standing at the top of richmond road waiting for my brother and the atmosphere was poisonous. Then the bohs 12-16 year old knackers arrived followed by there rovers counter parts. Even with Guards on horseback and dog handlers they had a go at eachother....so no, not surprised at all! :mad:

TheGooner wrote:
    I was standing at the top of richmond road waiting for my brother and the atmosphere was poisonous. Then the bohs 12-16 year old knackers arrived followed by there rovers counter parts. Even with Guards on horseback and dog handlers they had a go at eachother....so no, not surprised at all! :mad:

umm i got dogs abuse for suggesting this would happen earlier in this thread. So no im not surpirised, but this was BEFORE the match. God only knows what happened after it.

kdjac

Maybe Im just blind but I saw no trouble whatsoever in or around the ground, I did hear about the schooligans fighting, as for the GAA pub, doesnt sound as if there was much trouble as there were no arrests made, also it was nowhere near the ground. Still no worries about bringing kids to games tbh

bohsman wrote:
    Still no worries about bringing kids to games tbh

I bring my kids to all Bohs games but not Rovers, did that once never again.

No offence but on the pitch and off it Bohs and Rovers hardly advertised the league in anyway really.

kdjac

• Advertisement
Advertisement