Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pat Hickey New EOC President

Options
  • 14-08-2006 8:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭

I completely missed this story. I'm not Pat Hickey's biggest fan and I really wouldn't like to think of how much of a shambles he could make of the European Olympic Committee, he really hasn't done as much as he could have done for Irish sport in general and has been quite controversial and unsupportive of Irish sports people at times.

Anyone else have opinions on this appointment, particularly from an athletics point of view? Is it a good/bad thing for Irish sport, or the Irish Olympic movement?

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

If it reduces his involvement in Irish sport then it could only be a good thing for Irish athletics, but it looks like he'd remain president of the OCI judging by that article. I doubt he'd suddenly bring benefit to athletics, more likely that he'd have additional clout in his efforts to marginalise the sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Common Sense

He's a position to do good, unfortunately his past record doesn't fill me with confidence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭thirtyfoot

Another step in his ascension to domination of world sport. I've always thought that if Hickey's salary was based on performance similar to the athletes, he would have had his grant removed years ago.

Advertisement