Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attic Conversion

Options
  • 14-08-2006 9:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭

Just interested to know if anybody has had any quotes for attic conversions? we're in a 3 bed semi.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭daveco23

Liam81 wrote:
    Just interested to know if anybody has had any quotes for attic conversions? we're in a 3 bed semi.

Am in a 3 bed semi and got a quote of circa 35 k about 6 months ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭manchine

Got ours done for 20K - also a 3 bed semi.

I got 5 quotes all of which were either 20K or 25K. I went with these guys in the end:
    CHI Attics - http://www.atticconversions.ie/Home/Home_Page/index.html

The guy who came out to do the survey was the only one who showed up with a ladder, torch, *actually* went into the attic, took measurements and then was able to sketch our a rough floorplan for me of what I might expect.
    Other guys who showed up, looked about and told us that it was 'standard' and they'd ring us with a quote. Fair enough, it may be standard, but getting an idea of the layout at the end is very handy.

The guys who did the work were top notch and did their best to keep any mess to a minimum and cleaned up after themselves every day.
    It was all finished within 12 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,939 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

we got ours done for < 20K - 3 bed mid-terrace, and we're very happy with the result. 35k seems way over the odds.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Sparks115

Has anyone had an end of Terrace 3 bed done? I have heard different reports that the conversion is very small and that the shape of the roof doesnt lend itself to a good size conversion?

the roof on the end of terrace 3-bed is exactly the same shape as on the mid-terrace and the semi-d (ie. it's hipped and slopes down from the attached side of the house), so there shouldn't be any problem. I know of at least 1 end-of-terrace with a conversion in the Grove.

the shape of the roof means you end up with quite a low ceiling (I think ours is about 6'4") and the conversion itself won't be as big as you get in the 2-beds. still worth doing though if you need the extra space.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 OFB

Liam81 wrote:

Has anyone seen if they can change the roof line of the 3 bed end of terrace

manchine wrote:
    Got ours done for 20K - also a 3 bed semi.

I got 5 quotes all of which were either 20K or 25K. I went with these guys in the end:
    CHI Attics - http://www.atticconversions.ie/Home/Home_Page/index.html

The guy who came out to do the survey was the only one who showed up with a ladder, torch, *actually* went into the attic, took measurements and then was able to sketch our a rough floorplan for me of what I might expect.
    Other guys who showed up, looked about and told us that it was 'standard' and they'd ring us with a quote. Fair enough, it may be standard, but getting an idea of the layout at the end is very handy.

The guys who did the work were top notch and did their best to keep any mess to a minimum and cleaned up after themselves every day.
    It was all finished within 12 days.

Odd - it was these guys that gave me the 35 k quote...
    Manmachine, what was the end result like? Big room? Did you put in a proper stairs, windows etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

I am wondering if anyone got a stairs installed to get up to the new converted attic? I'd like to see where the stairs was put. It seems to be a bit difficult to get a stairs in without compromising one of the bedrooms (this is a two bedroom townhouse).

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭rara

we paid 22k with declan o'riordan. Highly recommend. 0879391827 or declanor@gmail.com

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭cuddydale

How much extra space did you gain and do you think it is worth it?

• Advertisement

Apologies for bumping this to the top...
    Anybody out there in a 3-bed Semi d preferably got their attic done and wouldn`t mind me having a nosy round please pm me. Really interested in getting this done but would like to see the end result in a similar house before I progress.
    Not holding out much hope - had an attic guy around yesterday and he told me not to bother! Too expensive and risk of support issues in moving the wooden supports and water tank...so he said.
    Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 FVC

just got 3 bed attic converted. Far better than I expected. Room size 21 x 10. Head hight is just over 6 foot. Plan is to put my two girls up there along with their toys and free up two of the bedrooms downstairs

price <20k

Fair play FVC...its always good to free up rooms...I've had pleny of visitors stay and sleep on the living room floor!

Can I ask if you got any Velux windows in? Where did you put them...side or rear? What height are they at?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 FVC

2 velux windows on the side. lower end of windows are about 5 feet off the floor. plenty of light and a great view of the golf course

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭anniec

Do you need planning permission for attic conversion and has anyone completed in 2 bed? not much room upstairs for stairs?

You don't need planning for an attic conversion unless you want to put a dormer window in (you are changing the roof shape doing this).

Not sure if you need 'permission' for the dormer from the management company (depends if there was any stipulations in the contract documents when buying your house??)...Can anybody look into this (especially for The Wood)? Not intending on putting a dormer myself and I would think if a few houses got it done, the dormers wouldn't look the same and make the rear line of the houses look cat.

Anyway, if there is anyone out there that has done the conversion in a 2 Bed townhouse and has a good size stairs put in I'd be grateful if you let me and the missus see it.

Ciarán.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭neets

fvc,

that sounds great. did you put a staircase up to it and do you have a contact number for the people who did it?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Here's a 2 bed townhouse on daft.ie with an attic conversion; can't believe how roomy it looks

http://www.daft.ie/searchsale.daft?id=153199&search=1&ea=1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭anniec

Thanks for the link Eoin it looks great! however it looks like you have to pull the ladder down as the bedrooms are still the same size which wouldnt really work as an additional room can you imagine coming down in the middle of the night!!

HI Anniec, just to let you know the 2 beds in Charlesland are supposed to be far easier to convert than the 3 bed. I am having my 3 bed converted next week so if you want the number of my guy who also did my sisters attic last week and it looks amazing. ;)

• Advertisement

okay for anyone out there who has any idea about planning permission or architecture.....if you get your attic converted does anyone know if can you have your Velux windows to the side elevation of the house? I know you definately dont need planning permission if your windows are to the back as that makes you exempt but not too sure about the side and with the 3 bed houses in Charlesland it looks like they have to be at the side. Would appreciate any help on this before Monday as my Velux windows are going in!!!!:eek: :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭ryecatcher

Just noticed a 3bed mid-terrace in 1st section of the park (along south wall) who has 2 velux windows to the side of their house ...HTH

we have ours to the side, same as FVC - afaik you don't need permission provided they're not to the front.

I have seen a 3-bed with a window to the back as well, so that is possible too.

Loyatemu,

You need planning if its on the front or side....veluxes are ignored by planning to rear only.

Sorry for being the bearer of bad news.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭Larry David

daveco23 wrote:
    Apologies for bumping this to the top...
    Anybody out there in a 3-bed Semi d preferably got their attic done and wouldn`t mind me having a nosy round please pm me. Really interested in getting this done but would like to see the end result in a similar house before I progress.
    Not holding out much hope - had an attic guy around yesterday and he told me not to bother! Too expensive and risk of support issues in moving the wooden supports and water tank...so he said.
    Thanks
    No problem. JUST got mine finished on Friday by "www.atticconversions.ie" (as receommended earlier) for 20K + VAT and I'm very happy. It hasn't even been painted yet, so if you want to view it, it'll be in it's "finished" state. I'm in Baldoyle btw.

astrofluff - do you have a source for this?

my information is that only front-facing windows require permission, and I'm clearly not alone in this as there are several other houses in charlesland with side-facing veluxes.

I'm looking into the planning regs....It doesn't say anything about velux windows being exempt development.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/ZZSI600Y2001.html

Just rang Wicklow CC and they have informed me that if it is not mentioned as an exempt development in the planning regulations, i.e. Velux windows (which is not mentioned at all), then you must obtain planning permission to have them.

So there is a dilemma about Velux windows here!

Was onto an Architect and Solictor today and basically the story is.....
    When u go to sell your house your buyer can request a certificate to say that you have permission for the Velux windows. Most people dont bother as they dont want the hassle. If you are worried that it may affect selling your house you can apply at a later date. It will take 6-8 weeks to go through. 99% of houses dont have planning permission for Velux windows based on the fact that when they go on to sell the buyer wants the conversion and wants your house so they dont get into the red tape. But if you want to cover your bottom, apply when ever you want. I am not saying you will definatly get obviously it all depends where u are what you over look etc but personally I plan to stay for a few years so I am not going to worry about it now I'll worry about in a few years . (Scarlet Ohara syndrome)!!;)

Thanks to everyone for their advice....by the way I spoke to a loola in the wicklow planning office (very unhelpful I might add) dont ever ring her...grumpy knickers grumpy grumpy grumpy!!!

I think we have to think clearly about what might happen should you go for planning permission for a Velux in the side of the roof. There is a privacy rule about having windows minimum 11m from a boundary it faces or 22m between directly opposing windows (not every County Council Development Plan states it clearly). In this case it could be house specific....please check before you go ahead with it.

See http://www.wicklow.ie/PUBLICATIONS/Planning/County%20Dev%20Plan/05_Design.pdf section 7.7 on page 37...

"Generally windows in the gable/side walls of dwellings will not be permitted where the windows would closely overlook the curtilage of an adjoining dwelling."

This is a very topical discussion!

Just a note about Planning Enforcement. If the County Council is pressured by a difficult neighbour (and there are plenty of them about as we all know) the council might use their Planning Enforcement department to issue the legal letters to the homeowners and have them, the Velux windows, removed(keep those spare roof tiles!!!).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Mullie

If anyone has converted their attic in a 2 bed townhouse, could you post a few pics? I'd like the see the end result and especially how the stairs fit in.
    Thanks!:D

Advertisement