Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attic Conversion

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭loup

Just bumping to ask a quick q re: velux windows to the side of the house? We are getting a conversion done and want a velux on the side of the house. As we are on a corner we dont overlook another dwelling. Is it possible to get clear glass on this velux as opposed to frosted? Also is there any restriction on window size?? Not sure about planning permission either..checked South Dublin Co Co website but couldnt find anything!

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Sparks115

you do need planning permission but it can be applied for after the fact and takes normally 6- 8 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Hi Guys,

Happy New Year and all that. This is a re-newed request to anyone in a 2-bed townhouse who has had an attic conversion done and has put in a proper stairs also. Was speaking with the missus and she doesn't like all the ideas I am coming up with and would like to see a finished result before letting me destroy the house!

We would be grateful if any of you guys have it done or even know of someone that has this done and wouldn't mind letting us see it.

Thanks,

C.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Hammiepeters

Hi, we are ready to convert out attic, 3 bed end of terrace. Have tried the web address of the company in the thread and they say they don't serve this area. Any links or numbers for companies that do and have would be welcome!
    We are going to apply for p.p for 4 Velux on the side of the house.
    Also, if you have had your 3 bed mid or end of terrace done would you p.m me, would love to hear how it went etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Sparks115

Hi, we are ready to convert out attic, 3 bed end of terrace. Have tried the web address of the company in the thread and they say they don't serve this area. Any links or numbers for companies that do and have would be welcome!
    Also, if you have had your 3 bed mid or end of terrace done would you p.m me, would love to hear how it went etc.

Just saw this after you pm me. I can give you the number for Karl the guy that did mine and my sisters and another familys house in Charlesland grove. All 3 are super conversions and to be honest so quickly done and no mess!!! couldnt recommend them highly enough in fact after rebuilding a house nearly in Drumcondra and having employed every crappy plumber/electirician carpenter etc these guys should get aN AWARD FOR BEING THE BEST TRADESMEN IN IRELAND!! I should get commmsion for recommending them but honestly if you would like to see ours or get the number for them just pm me.

cheers

Siobhan

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 VISTA MAR

Hammiepeters, try www.onlinetradesmen.com They will do the searching for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 MimiQ

astrofluff wrote:
    Hi Guys,

Happy New Year and all that. This is a re-newed request to anyone in a 2-bed townhouse who has had an attic conversion done and has put in a proper stairs also. Was speaking with the missus and she doesn't like all the ideas I am coming up with and would like to see a finished result before letting me destroy the house!

We would be grateful if any of you guys have it done or even know of someone that has this done and wouldn't mind letting us see it.

Thanks,

C.
    Hi there,
    I'd also like to see some completed attic conversions on the 2 beds to see what's possible. Did you manage to find any examples or recommended builders?
    Thanks,
    E.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Highealy

INCH wrote:
    Just saw this after you pm me. I can give you the number for Karl the guy that did mine and my sisters and another familys house in Charlesland grove. All 3 are super conversions and to be honest so quickly done and no mess!!! couldnt recommend them highly enough in fact after rebuilding a house nearly in Drumcondra and having employed every crappy plumber/electirician carpenter etc these guys should get aN AWARD FOR BEING THE BEST TRADESMEN IN IRELAND!! I should get commmsion for recommending them but honestly if you would like to see ours or get the number for them just pm me.

cheers

Siobhan

we have just moved to charlesland end o f terrace 3 bedroom can you give me the number for Karl for attic conversions new boards site and don't know how to get this number

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 matti

hiya. just wondering if anyone who was considering the 2 bed attic conversion went ahead with it? we said we would do it before we moved in but 2 years later we still haven't!! had loads of ideas about how we'd go about it but don't know if any of them would work!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 scubasteve217

Anyone get quotes for a conversion in a 2-bed??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 roses

Liam81 wrote:
    Just interested to know if anybody has had any quotes for attic conversions? we're in a 3 bed semi.
    i had mine done.cost 25k.good size room with shower and toilet.guys name was mark..0857575527.work was a1.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭neets

roses wrote:
    i had mine done.cost 25k.good size room with shower and toilet.guys name was mark..0857575527.work was a1.

hi roses,

was this for a three bed semi or a 2 bed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭woodser

€13000 for a 3 bed p.m me for contractor details. €9000 for a 2 bed two different contractors .Neighbour and myself had it done includes painting and decorating.I know some people were ripped off for 25000:mad:

woodser wrote:
    €13000 for a 3 bed p.m me for contractor details. €9000 for a 2 bed two different contractors .Neighbour and myself had it done includes painting and decorating.I know some people were ripped off for 25000:mad:

It really depends what you want done, how you want things done, stairs?, insulation?, proper roof windows at correct heights?, wardrobes?

All I say is be careful of the cowboys who come in and cuts all the joists out just to put in a stairs. The joists are structural elements of the roof, cut these and your gaurantee is gone. I have seen it in some houses in Charlesland already with it done incorrectly.

All I say is BE CAREFUL, €9000 or so is cheap but what are they doing that makes it so cheap?! (probably not a lot)

First question to ask the contractor is if he has Contractor's all risks insurance, public liability and employer's liability insurance. If he works on your house without these and fu'ks the job up...you will end up paying alot (and most likely more than 25k) to fix the problem. Bye bye equity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭woodser

astrofluff wrote:
    It really depends what you want done, how you want things done, stairs?, insulation?, proper roof windows at correct heights?, wardrobes?

All I say is be careful of the cowboys who come in and cuts all the joists out just to put in a stairs. The joists are structural elements of the roof, cut these and your gaurantee is gone. I have seen it in some houses in Charlesland already with it done incorrectly.

All I say is BE CAREFUL, €9000 or so is cheap but what are they doing that makes it so cheap?! (probably not a lot)

First question to ask the contractor is if he has Contractor's all risks insurance, public liability and employer's liability insurance. If he works on your house without these and fu'ks the job up...you will end up paying alot (and most likely more than 25k) to fix the problem. Bye bye equity.

Full stairs I'm a 3 bed neighbour 2 bed superior job done in both Another neighbour of mine got it done for 25000 -half the space Windows not to Regulations 07 ie 1.2 metres from guttering- top opening fire escape.Shifting the tanks took them about 2 hours not expensive.Included 3 new veluxes stairs plastering radiator tapped into heating system 5 recessed lights 4 double plug sockets Fire door on stairs party wall closing in stairs.And all remaining storage area floored fireproofed fully insulated.Structural work checked by my structural man-- excellent job reinforcing roof and used screw and glue ply to reinforce existing trusses also vents from sewers moved.Also 2 entry points to storeage area.Also had to put in a suspended floor in the 3 bed.Fully insured. And to new standards introduced jan 07. 1 guy was best for 2 bed.The other for 3 beds better on structural.Tons of cowboys out there get someone whose work youve seen done in charlesland

woodser wrote:
    ...Tons of cowboys out there get someone whose work youve seen done in charlesland

hear hear

• Registered Users Posts: 38 BonnieD

Was advised by Attics Express that type of roof and timber frames associated with the three bed end of terrace, were not suitable for a conversion unless planning permission was sought for a gable wall build up/side dormer. Has anyone gone down this route, or just settled for a smaller type conversion? Also, can the management company really prevent changes to your roof, if planning permission was sought and granted?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Someone in the know will probably be along later with a detailed answer, but I believe you need to seek the permission of the Management Company BEFORE you seek the pp.

Weclome to Charlesland btw... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,939 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

i'm pretty sure its stated in the lease that you need the Managements Co. authorisation to make structural changes.

i doubt any of your neighbours would be too keen on what you're planning - it would look downright odd. Are you sure the attic can't be converted normally? We had ours done (mid-terrace but the roof shape is the same).

Thanks for your input Loyatemu. I would prefer not to even have to look at the option of changing style of roof, as I agree it would look weird, and the hassle and extra expense of course. This advice was based on one company, so there are others who may of course think it is a workable idea based on the existing structure.

Can I ask about yours - Did you get something that could be used as a bedroom or an office or did it just yield you storage space?
    Did you put in a proper stairs? And if you dont mind, who did it for you, and how much? (have you any piccies??)

Thanks again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭ryecatcher

Hi there, been thinking about this topic lately too! Have seen 2 different conversions in a 2 bed - both the same idea - but with big (€6K) difference in price.
    My question: has anyone had a 2 bed converted with what they call 'closed plan' i.e. that the door to the attic room is up in the attic room (as opposed to the bottom of the stairs). I'd love to have a look or get dimensions if anyone has had this done. PM me if this is possible. Thanks!

ryecatcher wrote:
    Hi there, been thinking about this topic lately too! Have seen 2 different conversions in a 2 bed - both the same idea - but with big (€6K) difference in price.
    My question: has anyone had a 2 bed converted with what they call 'closed plan' i.e. that the door to the attic room is up in the attic room (as opposed to the bottom of the stairs). I'd love to have a look or get dimensions if anyone has had this done. PM me if this is possible. Thanks!

Rye, we had the conversion done in ours. It has the door at the end of the stairs though. But what I must say is when you put the door at the end of the stairs you get such a big room for a main bedroom in the attic (Thats if you want this room as the amin bedroom). Now we had extras done like fitted wardrobes, shelving, alcoves, insulated storage - all this which I specified. You are very welcome to look at ours as I think you'll be impressed plus might give you a few ideas of how you'll like yours finished off. I can also point out which conversion I've seen in the development (which I gained access to by dropping a note in the door! You may have to do the same as I don't have their numbers any more.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

I had the pleasure of taking a look at Astro's attic just after he'd finished doing the decoration of it, and I must say, Wifey and I were blown away by the design, amount of storage and the quality of the work. Well worth a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,939 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

BonnieD wrote:
    Can I ask about yours - Did you get something that could be used as a bedroom or an office or did it just yield you storage space?

we're using it as an office\spare room - its open plan so it would lack a bit of privacy as a bedroom (closing it in would have made it a much smaller room)
    Did you put in a proper stairs?

Yes
    And if you dont mind, who did it for you, and how much? (have you any piccies??)

I'l PM you the details.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭ryecatcher

Hi Astro, sounds like a great space! Would love to see it. Will pm you - thanks again.

Im wondering if anyone who had the three bedroom conversion done, approach the Management Company about putting in the velux windows (either at the back or the side)? or is it a given that this can be done since there is these types of windows readily in as part of the two beds

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Wineman

woodser wrote:

Woodser, would you mind sending me a PM with the details for his contractor?

Advertisement