Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Pulled over..

Options
  • 14-08-2006 10:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭

Right, Before I start, I know what I did is wrong, I deserved to get pulled over, I deserve whatever punishment is given to me, so I don't need useless posts saying "I hope you get banned" etc. Rich, I was going along the East Wall road at about 45/55mph, and undertook a car and turned into the port. I got pulled over for something to do with Section 7 (I think) and driving without due care and attention.
    I'm driving on my first provisional, my own insurance policy, have the car 5 weeks and the tax was out in Feburary. The dealer has said he'd pay for it but I'm still waiting. I wasn't asked to produce my licence, insurance or anything at the nearest Garda station. I'm expecting a ban of some sort, but not sure, what should I expect?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

What did he say to you?

You driving alone?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

Said he was giving me a summons. Was driving with a friend with no full licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,250 ✭✭✭Elessar

With a summons and court appearance, expect insurance to shoot through the roof for the next few years.

Yea, I half expected that. How long till I hear if I am getting a summons?

Hard to know what the actual penalty will be.

Although, if the guard shows up for the court date, you could be banned for a while :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭smarty

bennyx_o wrote:
    I was going along the East Wall road at about 45/55mph, and undertook a car and turned into the port.
    How do you mean you "undertook"? There are two lanes on that road, and the right lane is for turning right towards the Point Depot. Therefore you are allowed to overtake on the left.

I was in the left lane and turned into the port.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭legs11

if you knew the car was out of tax you can have no complaints really, best thing is to get a good lawyer maybe. ?! might end up on the good side of the judge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭hiscan

i was pulled by a guard for jumping a red light that had been set up for roadworks he was driving towards me at the time even though he could see me coming i think he was a bit pissed off he was off duty in his uniform on his way home from a shift id say said he was going to do me under section this that and the other but i never heard anything about it he was probably just letting off steam i suppose

Agreed, but it's not like I'm avoiding paying tax. The dealer said he'd pay for it as part of the deal and he still hasn't.

• Advertisement

2 uniformed guards and a motorcycle guard in the car that pulled me.

Yeah you're probably better off talking to a solicitor, to find out exactly what could happen...

Yea, I'll probably do that in the next day or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭VeVeX

bennyx_o wrote:
    Agreed, but it's not like I'm avoiding paying tax. The dealer said he'd pay for it as part of the deal and he still hasn't.

Whos driving the car ???

Its up to you to tax your car, If the dealer didn't hold up his part of the deal take other action. If this is going on since February its pretty obvious hes unlikely to tax it at this stage.

Its your responsibility to tax your car. its also your responsibility to drive with care and attention. In my opinion taking you off the road is probably the best option for you and other road users untill you cop yourself on.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,302 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Car can be seized if tax is more than three months out of date. Get that situ sorted asap.

Not your ornery onager

I only have the car since the beginning of July, I've been onto the dealer and he's taxing it. Yes, I was driving the car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭digweed

esel wrote:
    Car can be seized if tax is more than three months out of date. Get that situ sorted asap.

the new 2006 road traffic act has changed that to 2 months.

D. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

I've read your post three times and apart from the tax being out I still don't see what you did wrong? You were in a left hand lane, passing a car in the right hand lane and you turned left into the port. I doubt you will get a ban unless there is more you haven't mentioned (spliff hanging out of mouth/dead girlfriend in boot...?)

If you bought the car in July, get a letter from the dealer stating the date of purchase and that the tax arrears will be paid and carry it in the car - even the stroppiest cop will see you made an effort.

'cptr

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I've read your post three times and apart from the tax being out I still don't see what you did wrong? You were in a left hand lane, passing a car in the right hand lane and you turned left into the port. I doubt you will get a ban unless there is more you haven't mentioned (spliff hanging out of mouth/dead girlfriend in boot...?)

He was speeding too. That said, my in experience of being pulled by the Guards, being threatened with a summons and actually being issued with one are two quite separate things. My advice to the OP is to sort the tax out, drive legally and responsibly from now on (no offence, but you just don't have the experience to break the speed limit in safety yet) and keep the fingers crossed. A lot will depend on the attitude of the OP to the Guard when he was pulled, the rest is up to luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

bennyx_o wrote:
    Yea, I'll probably do that in the next day or two.
    You should also possibly consider removing "smart driver" from your sig.;)

MrP

• Advertisement

I overtook a truck without using my indicators according to the guard. I'll be going out to the dealer today so I'll get a letter off him to be safe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Firstly it's up to you to pay the tax really unless you got a special deal and have it in writing. Secondly I'd say you're conna get a few points and your insurance is gonna go crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

steve06 wrote:
    Firstly it's up to you to pay the tax really...

It is exactly as simple as that, there should be no "deal" necessary between you and whoever sold you the car. All you have to do is go to the tax office when you get the change of ownership form back from the DoE in Shannon.
    That has the date of purchase/change of ownership on it, and you simply pay the tax from then.

I had the exact same thing recently. Bought a S/H car that was untaxed since feb, changed ownership, brought it to the garda station, had the "off the road" section filled in, went to the tax office and paid the tax since I bought the car.

Regarding the "passing manouvre" that you made, I don't know the road you are talking about but did you overtake a car on their left, and then cut across them to turn right, or did you overtake them on their left and then you turned left (or they turned right)???

L.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Big Balls

There's a lot of scare tactics being used here.

Firstly, unless you're convicted of dangerous driving or something along those lines, you won't have a record on your licence and your insurance company won't care.

The same can be said for points, for 2 points, insurance goes up about 200 quid if at all.

And just to clear up, if you were coming from East Wall Rd/Alfie Byrne Rd etc and went into the left lane to go into the port (and not doing a sly one back into the right lane to head towards the East-Link)/North Wall Quay then I really don't see the problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

hiscan wrote:
    he was off duty in his uniform on his way home from a shift..... never heard anything about it ......

Nope, he's off duty and can do sweet FA about it afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

Surely the guard gave you some paperwork suggesting you will recieve points ??

If he didn't then you may not !!

layke wrote:
    Nope, he's off duty and can do sweet FA about it afaik.

Ah ha. Not so.

An off duty guard had a problem with me going past him at about 125 (hardly the biggest offence in the world) on the M50 two weeks ago.

FOUR HOURS later, two gardai knocked on my front door and asked me to call 'the guards in Tallaght' about it. Turns out the guy flashing me in a fit of rage on the M50 as I went past was an off duty guard.

I spoke to a solicitor about it as he asked me to produce my insurance cert and I had a major problem with an off duty guard telling me to do this, especially after telling me I was speeding according to purely HIS speedometer on a poxy Astra but solicitor advised me to do it to save any potential grief from a guard on a power trip.

MercMad wrote:

You don't get any paperwork anymore, you're just told you'll get them in the post.

I agree about the tax and I've sorted it out today. Should get it in the next week or so.
    Big Balls wrote:
    And just to clear up, if you were coming from East Wall Rd/Alfie Byrne Rd etc and went into the left lane to go into the port (and not doing a sly one back into the right lane to head towards the East-Link)/North Wall Quay then I really don't see the problem.
    I went into the left lane to turn left into the port, and passed a car that was turning right.
    Merc Mad wrote:

If he didn't then you may not !!
    No paperwork changed hand, he just filled out his notebook and said "this definatly wont be the last you've heard of this"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,059 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

did u not indicate when changing lanes benny? whats the speed limit there60km?

Advertisement