Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wireless network setup issues

• 14-08-2006 11:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

Hello!
    I recently bought a wireless router (Linksys) and wireless card so i could have internet access on another computer at the other end of the house. i set up everything and installed what needed to be installed, yet it still doesn't work properly. The router tells me it's connected and has internet access, the other computer tells me it can recognise the router, yet still can't get online. I was thinking it may be due to the fact it's hooked up to the broadband modem, and it's getting in the way of something? I'm not very knowledgeable with the ways of a humble PC, and decided to come here for help. Any and all is greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

gweedo wrote:
    Hello!
    I recently bought a wireless router (Linksys) and wireless card so i could have internet access on another computer at the other end of the house. i set up everything and installed what needed to be installed, yet it still doesn't work properly. The router tells me it's connected and has internet access, the other computer tells me it can recognise the router, yet still can't get online. I was thinking it may be due to the fact it's hooked up to the broadband modem, and it's getting in the way of something? I'm not very knowledgeable with the ways of a humble PC, and decided to come here for help. Any and all is greatly appreciated.

It sounds as though you've just plugged in the router after the modem. This probably means that the "Internet" site of your router and the "LAN" side are both using the same 192.168.1.x subnet, so the router isn't "routing" your computers traffic to the internet.

It's not clear though, from your description if that's the whole problem. You say "other computer tells me it can recognise the router" - does that mean that your existing wired computer works, but that your new wirelessy connected computer doesn't?

Can you give us the model numbers of your existing modem, your new linksys hardware, and the IP addresses that your PCs are getting (go to Start/Run, type CMD, click OK, then type IPCONFIG in the black window that opens. You can cut and paste the results here by right clicking on the blue-bar at the top of that window and selecting Edit).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 gweedo

Yes, the wireless router is connected to the broadband modem, here's the other details:

ip address 192.168.1.2
    subnet mask 255.255.255.0
    default gateway 192.168.1.1

Thanks
    Gweedo

gweedo wrote:
    Yes, the wireless router is connected to the broadband modem, here's the other details:

ip address 192.168.1.2
    That's only one - are they the results from the machine that's working or the one that's not working?

Is the original (wired) computer plugged into the new linksys, or is it still connected directly to the original broadband modem?

You'll need to provide a bit more detail about the stuff that works as well as the stuff that doesn't, to help us to uderstand exacty what your setup is.

Apologies for not giving much detail, i'll try.
    for convenience the computer with internet is called black. My computer without internet is called Ted.

Black has broadband and my Linksys wireless router is plugged into the broadband modem. all is fine with the internet on black.

Ted is the computer on the other side of the house, and has no internet access. I've got a wireless card plugged into Ted. it can detect the wireless router and establish a connection with it, so i assume there's no problem there. The problem is Black not giving internet access to the wireless router. The numbers i gave in the previous post is off black. Here are the numbers for ted.

IP adress: 192.168.0.1
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway: (blank)

Here's the link that shows the router i have:
    http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?c=L_Product_C2&childpagename=US%2FLayout&cid=1115416825655&pagename=Linksys%2FCommon%2FVisitorWrapper

Hope this is more helpful.
    Thanks again,
    Gweedo

Apologies for not giving much detail, i'll try again.
    for convenience the computer with internet is called black. My computer without internet is called Ted.

Black has broadband and my Linksys wireless router is plugged into the broadband modem. all is fine with the internet on black.

Ted is the computer on the other side of the house, and has no internet access. I've got a wireless card plugged into Ted. it can detect the wireless router and establish a connection with it, so i assume there's no problem there. The problem is Black not giving internet access to the wireless router. The numbers i gave in the previous post is off black. Here are the numbers for ted.

IP adress: 192.168.0.1
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway: (blank)

Here's the link that shows the router i have:
    http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?c=L_Product_C2&childpagename=US%2FLayout&cid=1115416825655&pagename=Linksys%2FCommon%2FVisitorWrapper

Hope this is more helpful.
    Thanks again,
    Gweedo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Default gateway: (blank) = problem

Change to 192.168.1.1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

try manually seeting your ip setting on ted to:

ip address 192.168.1.3

and that should work

(ted is not currently on the same network as black and needs the default gateway to be set)
    to manually set the ip click here

gweedo wrote:
    The problem is Black not giving internet access to the wireless router. The numbers i gave in the previous post is off black. Here are the numbers for ted.
    Sorry, I've been away for the last while.

What do you mean "Black not giving internet access to the wireless router". Is the Linksys router not plugged directly into your broadband "modem"?

Advertisement