Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to restore laminate flooring

Options
  • 14-08-2006 11:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

What can I do with my laminate flooring to make it look not so scratched? Some of the scratches are quite deep. Looking at the cross section of the flooring there's about 2mm of actual wood before you get to the cheap stuff...

What are my options? I know they say not to sand... but shouldn't this be ok just once????

Thanks folks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

Laminate flooring has a paper layer printed with a wood pattern and then a plastic wearlayer on top of that. Unfortunately for you, there is nothing you can do to "restore" the finish.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Don't sand, whatever else.

Laminate flooring isn't wood or anything much like it. If it is wood, then it's semi-solid flooring. Could this be what it is?

One thing to try, this might work for small scratches. If you have a spare piece of laminate to try on, you could try Jif (scourer, slightly abrasive) or Brasso (slightly more abrasive). I haven't tried this myself, no guarantees now!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭di11on

So... maybe it is semi solid flooring I have.... if it is, is it ok to sand it???

I have some spare pieces left up the attic... I'll post a picture of a cross section and maybe people can tell me if it is semi solid.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭miles teg

di11on wrote:
    So... maybe it is semi solid flooring I have.... if it is, is it ok to sand it???

I have some spare pieces left up the attic... I'll post a picture of a cross section and maybe people can tell me if it is semi solid.

Semi solid can be sanded once or twice but it's not really recommended. I don't think people will be able to determine if it's semi solid or not by you posting a picture

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

di11on wrote:

Go ahead and post a picture, if it's semi solid there should be no problem in sanding it. A 14mm semi-solid will have about 4mm of solid wood on the top and should be good for a number of sandings.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,836 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

you can get stuff like wax to repair and blend in

Advertisement