Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

getting port forwarding up n running

Options
  • 14-08-2006 11:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭

I am trying to sort out port forwarding to allow émule, etc to work successfully. The router is a zyxel 660HW-61 Wireless DSL router supplied by BT. Heres what I've done.

- Gone into emule and changed the UDP/TCP ports from the default.
    - gone into admin services on xp and disabled the xp firewall.
    - allowed the ports on my kaspersky firewall
    - setup dynamic ip address using no-ip.com
    - entered the ports on the NAT config page on the router - along with the local ip address of my machine

When i go to émule -> options -> connection -> test ports - the test fails.

What have I overlooked or what have I done incorrectly?

On the routers config page under 'dynamic dns', they have dyndns.org selected (its the only option so it has to be selected) as service provider. I am not using them as they are no longer taking new registrations - and have entered my no-ip.com hostname/details instead. Does this make a difference?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭greglo23

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 VeeGo

That happened to mee too before and its funny but problem was very simple, I shouldnt have pluged in both cables into router, you know the way they give you usb and that other cable. I had exact same router as you and bt broadband. After I left usb only, emule got high ID.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭baguio

I checked out portforward.com alright. According to their guide, I need to input my dynamic dns hostname (instead of ip address) alongside the ports to be forwarded in the table on the 'NAT - Edit SUA/NAT Server Set' page of the zyxel routers configurator. There are about 3 digits too many for my dynamic dns hostname to be entered fully.

In the interim I have explained my problem to zyxel support and they have not really come back with solutions to problems to be honest. They said that they only support dyndns.org dynamic dns. When I open the 'dynamic dns' page on their routers configurator, they have dyndns selected automatically. I wasnt sure if this was going to be a problem and entered the details/hostname etc for my no-ip dynamic dns.

I have emailed them back to see if theres a workaround and hopefully will have something back tomorrow.

Anyone else got any ideas? This must be a fairly common scenario as this is BT Ireland's standard wireless router.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭baguio

I have managed to get a dyndns.org hostname to allow for the dynamic ip address. Entered details on the routers config page.
    However, when I try to input the hostname instead of ip address in the last stage of the setup process as outlined here (at end of page) under 'NAT - Edit SUA/NAT Server Set', theres not enough space to input. How do I get around this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

baguio wrote:
    I have managed to get a dyndns.org hostname to allow for the dynamic ip address. Entered details on the routers config page.
    However, when I try to input the hostname instead of ip address in the last stage of the setup process as outlined here (at end of page) under 'NAT - Edit SUA/NAT Server Set', theres not enough space to input. How do I get around this?

The SUA/NAT page is looking for the LAN address of the PC that you want the ports forwarded to - 192.168.1.something, usually.

DynDNS has nothing to do with this - it's all about giving you a "static" WAN DNS name, even when the address changes.

All this bollox that about needing a "static address" just confuses people who don't know what they're doing. You don't need a static address to do port forwarding. Some people find it useful to make their LAN address "static", but for most people, it's just a waste of time, and a source of confusion.

• Advertisement
Advertisement