Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Opera Centre

Options
  • 15-08-2006 1:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭

I think this Development deserves a thread of its own. Anyone got anymore news on The Opera Centre?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭cmurph

guys i must be missing something here, where is this new opera centre going?
    is it the one at coonagh?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

The Opera Centre is a huge Development proposed for Patrick Street, Ellen Street, Michael Street and out onto the place over-looking Georges Quay.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Well as Debenhams are now here. I presume that Opera was the locartion alluded to by the M&S CE in Wilton last week

• Registered Users Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

OperaShoppingCentre.jpg

The Opera center will have two anchor stores cause it'll be so big.
    Until Debenhams bought out Roches, it was proposed that they along with M&S would be in the Opera.
    Now it's unsure who'll be partnering M&S.

http://thelimerick.blogspot.com/2006/01/artists-impression-of-opera-shopping.html

It looks set for building to commence in the next few months (if the two objections lodged can be fast tracked).

http://thelimerick.blogspot.com/2006/06/opera-centre-plans-receive-two.html

There's a short little vid of some of the proposed site here.

http://www.limerickbiz.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭cmurph

ooh thanks guys , i had heard about it before and had forgotten .
    it looks great and it might liven up the city again, i don't know when i was in the city last as i have no need now , i can get everything in the retail parks.

• Advertisement

This Development is looking rather doubtful as is Coonagh Cross, any websites with anything about either development?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Opera centre backers express concern at start-up delay

THERE is growing concern that the investors behind the proposed m200 euro Opera Shopping Centre at Patrick Street/Rutland Street, might be discouraged from proceeding because of the start-up delay imposed by a planning objection to the project.

Limerick auctioneer Pat Kearney, who spent three years putting the package together, this week told the Limerick Post that they were already running well behind time.

"One local person has cited objections to the proposed development in a lengthy submission to An Bord Pleanala, and a decision is not expected until late October, and even then there are no guarantees.

"It is not for me to discuss the merits or otherwise of the objections raised, but what I will say is, that all connected with the project are becoming frustrated. "The developers had set a timeline of 2007 for the grand opening, but now we are looking at well into 2008.

"We had to negotiated with something like 40 clients in putting the entire deal together and they are looking for their money. All is now in the lap of the gods. There are some crucial weeks ahead.

"The danger is that retailers who had expressed an interest in locating at the Opera Centre might be having second thoughts because of the delay. Take Debenhams, for example. It is known they had shown an interest in becoming an anchor tenant, but they have since leased the Roches Stores property”.

Mr Kearney, in calling for a review of the planning process, pointed out that the developers were not in a position to draw down finance until such time as the path had been cleared to commence demolition work on the existing buildings.

"We are talking in terms of a multi million euro investment-this will be the biggest inner city development of its type in Limerick and let’s hope it will be resolved as soon as possible”.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

bad news but interesting all the same
    they better hurry the F**k up

I knew it wouldnt happen!!! just to good to be true!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

I knew it wouldnt happen!!! just to good to be true!
    well come on now no need to get overly pessimistic
    im still fairly hopeful it will go through

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

1huge1 wrote:
    well come on now no need to get overly pessimistic
    im still fairly hopeful it will go through

x2

ok then guys! let's just wait and see! :)

Advertisement