Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Purgatory - Has a New Home - Starting Friday Sept 1st

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭trixter

it was a great night loads of ladies there!!:D

I found out that while I havent seen any on the streets that I am not the only one with blue hair :P

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I went last night for the first time, but to be honest didn't think too much of the music played. (personal opinion and all that).

Having said that, I'm delighted to see somewhere that at least tries to play alternative music.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭StandnDeliver

what music are you into?the requests determine the nights music whatever the crowd asks for really.
    Most people are afraid to ask for requests but the djs do listen.
    thanks for going along though

competition running on the website for 2 free passes up for grabs www.purgatorycork.com

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

*lazily wonders if the time it takes to register is worth six euros....

• Advertisement

For anyone that is cheap (like me) there are purgatory fliers at Other Realms. They are located at the Paul Street shopping centre (upstairs but next to tesco). They are worth 1EUR off admission, I believe they are still good for that anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

So is it seperate nights for seperate genres or all mixed up like Freakscene? I thought Purgatory was opening up near Mangans.

Kold wrote:
    So is it seperate nights for seperate genres or all mixed up like Freakscene? I thought Purgatory was opening up near Mangans.

purgatory takes over cyprus avenue (above the old oak, entrance is on caroline street, go up the stairs that are there) friday nights 11:30pm to 2am. If you go earlier there is something else that is going on, which is seperate from purgatory. Also if you try to go in too early you will have to pay additional for whatever gig happens to be going on, but its normally only 1EUR extra, which is probably why you see people waiting outside until near 11:30 :)

http://www.purgatorycork.com is a good place to go for more info.

it was going originally going to start in the pav(club renaissance) but they cancelled 2days b4 launch,bad form and are time wasters i might add!!:mad:
    So Purgatory found a new home in cyprus avenue!!!!!!!!
    all info is in the first post...:rolleyes:
    doors 11.30pm admission €7 0r €6 with flyer,It is Every Friday Night
    for all other info go to www.purgatorycork.com :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

But could you imagine a metal club next door to Mangans?

• Advertisement

thankfully it isnt,its in cyprus avenue,crisis averted:D

bring on the leather pants and naughty uniforms ;) !! its tomorrow folks
    And also i might add there is a competition to win 2 free passes,all you got to do is go to the purgatory site [url]www.purgatorycork.com:p[/url] :p:p:p:p

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

/me contemplates going along mini goth styleee...

great seeing tree and fysh night :D:D:D:D Beware fysh your coat shal soon be mine muahhhaaa i swear he has the sexiest coat

there a pic of ye soon to be uploaded, check it out
    www.purgatorycork.com
    next week shal be rockin more so than this week. down in fraggle rock

Last night was a lot of fun, for those of you that didnt go, you should have :) For those that have never gone, you should at least go once and check it out then decide whether or not to go again :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

<3 purgatory

i have every intention of stealing mel's cloak (huzzah for the great outer clothing swap on fridays) AFTER she does my eyeliner :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭Jack B. Badd

I have every intention of actually asking the dj to play Scissor Sisters for me next week :rolleyes: :o:D

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Hehehe, I wasn't sure if that whole conversation about coats actually happened towards the end of the night. Or the fraggle rock thing, for that matter. (Mental note : do I have an mp3 of the South Park underpants gnomes song?)

Also, if anyone goes asking for Scissor Sisters I'm forcing the DJ to play an entire Strapping Young Lad album (even if I have to bring my own copy along with me).

Fysh wrote:
    Hehehe, I wasn't sure if that whole conversation about coats actually happened towards the end of the night. Or the fraggle rock thing, for that matter.

I dont recall fraggle rock, although I do have really bad hearing and couldnt hear much of what was being said. The clothes stealing comments were made a few times, your coat was threatened about midway through, where someone elses was threatened at the end :)

Fysh wrote:
    Also, if anyone goes asking for Scissor Sisters I'm forcing the DJ to play an entire Strapping Young Lad album (even if I have to bring my own copy along with me).

I have no idea what either of those are, and somehow feel better about myself for it :)

But...but...the Scissor Sisters are so damned good!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

trixter wrote:
    I dont recall fraggle rock, although I do have really bad hearing and couldnt hear much of what was being said. The clothes stealing comments were made a few times, your coat was threatened about midway through, where someone elses was threatened at the end :)

Yeah, I vaguely recall admiring someone else's coat and noticing the...interesting straps on the back of it and speculating what they might be used for. Heh.
    trixter wrote:
    I have no idea what either of those are, and somehow feel better about myself for it :)

Scissor scisters - the latest fashionably gay disco-pop-rock band eveyrone seems to love for no easily discernible reason.

Strapping Young Lad - pretty much the only heavy metal/industrial band worth listening to from the last 5 years or so.

(My opinion only, of course, but then again everyone knows I'm always right about everything :D)

Fysh wrote:
    Scissor scisters - the latest fashionably gay disco-pop-rock band eveyrone seems to love for no easily discernible reason.

Gay?! Holy crap, I'm putting my immortal soul in danger! :eek:

Gay?! Holy crap, I'm putting my immortal soul in danger! :eek:

As I recall, all but one of the band members is either gay or bi. Not that this is anyone's business, but it seems to be of more concern to their record label's marketing people than the actual tunes, which is something of a shame...

Whereas Strapping Young Lad are just about making your eardrums bleed. :D Plus they've been known to open gigs to Blame Canada from the South Park movie (they're canadian). What's not to like?

Fysh wrote:
    Whereas Strapping Young Lad are just about making your eardrums bleed. :D Plus they've been known to open gigs to Blame Canada from the South Park movie (they're canadian). What's not to like?

Well, so long as they're nice, straight, Church-attending, young men. For the sake of my soul, you know...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

Fysh wrote:
    As I recall, all but one of the band members is either gay or bi. Not that this is anyone's business, but it seems to be of more concern to their record label's marketing people than the actual tunes, which is something of a shame...

They were asked about that on T4 this weekend - and they basically said it's not an issue for them anymore, they'd rather just be known for the music.
    I think it's finally working like that too - proper order.

Ear bleeding is bad m'kay!

deRanged wrote:
    Ear bleeding is bad m'kay!

Hmm, gonna have to differ on that one I guess. There again, I seemed to be the only person at Purgatory the other night who likes Ministry so it seems that I'm relatively alone in my appreciation for industrial type music...

Fysh wrote:
    Hmm, gonna have to differ on that one I guess. There again, I seemed to be the only person at Purgatory the other night who likes Ministry so it seems that I'm relatively alone in my appreciation for industrial type music...

purgatory is a bit tame compared to a place I went to in New Jersey in the 90s. Course they had live bands which added to it, sacred reich played there, athough you may not have heard of them (they arent together anymore either), propane played there (really doubt anyone heard of em), type o negative was the biggest band that played there. They had 2 stages and a bar in the middle (3 stories). The basement was the really unknown bands the upper stage was the more popular ones. It was mostly death metal and very little else, and we liked it :)

Well, so long as they're nice, straight, Church-attending, young men. For the sake of my soul, you know...
    you don't have a soul, ginger

there will be much dancing had next week hopefully in place of drinking

Tree wrote:
    there will be much dancing had next week hopefully in place of drinking

You are actually allowed to do both :)

• Advertisement

trixter wrote:
    You are actually allowed to do both :)

I heard we were required to do both, but what the hell. Free will for all! ;)

Advertisement