Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swelling around nostril piercing

Options
  • 15-08-2006 2:33am

I got my nose pierced with a titanium screw almost 2 weeks ago. It was fine at first but I had a mishap with the screw (it fell down almost out of my nose and I had to push it up) and ended up causing the piercing a bit of trauma, it was sore, and then appeared this swelling around the jewellery. It's not 'the bump', it's just a general swelling around it. I have dark skin so it's not so obvious, but it is a bit pink if you look closely. I was using sea salt soaks twice a day, but nothing happened, and then I switched to doing nothing for 2 days and it's the same. Will this go away? Should I just be patient and keep up the salt soaks?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 13_adi_13

I got my nose pierced with a titanium screw almost 2 weeks ago. It was fine at first but I had a mishap with the screw (it fell down almost out of my nose and I had to push it up) and ended up causing the piercing a bit of trauma, it was sore, and then appeared this swelling around the jewellery. It's not 'the bump', it's just a general swelling around it. I have dark skin so it's not so obvious, but it is a bit pink if you look closely. I was using sea salt soaks twice a day, but nothing happened, and then I switched to doing nothing for 2 days and it's the same. Will this go away? Should I just be patient and keep up the salt soaks?

What do you mean by a 'screw'? Is it maybe a nostril labret or a bent/straight nose stud? How did you 'push it up'? In all likelihood you have probably just really annoyed the piercing and the swelling should go down - could take up to a week though, depending on how much you annoyed it... Are you using sea salt rather than table salt and are you using 5ml per litre of freshly boiled water? Is there any gunk coming out of the piercing - if it's dark and smells bad you may have an infection, if it's yellowy and doesn't particularly smell bad, that's ok. Also, is it tender to touch in the swollen area? If you think it might be infected you should go back to your piercer and get them to have a look at it.

• What's known as a nose screw, in the U.S at least. A bent stud. It twisted itself so the post was coming down out of my nose. I'm using sea salt in warm water and there is no gunk coming out. At first there was some puss and tenderness but that's all gone now and it isn't sore to touch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 13_adi_13

What's known as a nose screw, in the U.S at least. A bent stud. It twisted itself so the post was coming down out of my nose. I'm using sea salt in warm water and there is no gunk coming out. At first there was some puss and tenderness but that's all gone now and it isn't sore to touch.

Sounds like it's not an infection and it's still just a bit sore then - it should be back to normal in the next few days. Keep going with the salt water compresses and it should be fine. Where did you have it done - is it easy for you to drop into the studio and ask them to take a look at it? Most places will provide a free aftercare service, and if you can get in to see them without too much hassle, you might as well, just to be sure!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭!_Brian_!

the piercing is only 2 weeks old, its still early in the healing stages and you prolly set it back a few steps in the process with your incedent.

Carry on cleaning 2 to 3 times a day with no more than a qtr tea spoon of sea salt to a cup of boiled water for the next 2 to 4 weeks.

Redness is normal, discharge is normal - the yellow gunk is just sweat and dead skin cells etc, normal for the healing period.

Advertisement