Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dumb question

Options
  • 15-08-2006 4:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭

I take dance and sometimes the teacher references certain musical terms when explaining the choreography. I get what hes saying on an intuitive level but I would like to know on a more direct level.

So for example this week he has been talking about accents [the tune is Buttons -PCDs in case you need to know] and will refer to a long 5th [we are dancing to counts of 8].

Thank you in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

Perhaps he's talking about a dotted 5th note? The dot increases the length of the note by half, so you'd get a kind of syncopation on the 5th..

umm..something like this:

taa taa taa taa taaaah-tuh taa taa

Heh, it's hard to explain. Can you read music at all?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

No that makes sense. Its like its longer than the other ones. It just seems like its longer than a half.

Thanks.

Advertisement