Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Honda Prelude - Good or Bad?

Options
  • 15-08-2006 7:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭

Howdy folks,

Have recently been offered a good deal on a very nice Honda Prelude. It's a 98 Irish Spec, 2ltr, I'm not sure if it's a VTEC, (VTEC was only in the 2.2? :confused: ) and it doesn't have the 4 wheel steering.. Is this a bad thing? Should I hold out for one that does? I would like to know what the general consensis is, on the 4 wheel steering sytem available in some Honda Preludes.. :)

Anyone here ever driven one and thought it was a nice drive? Comfortable? What models came with 4 wheel steering?

Thanks in advance to the decent chaps who bother to reply! :p

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

I had a fourwheel steer Jap import a few years ago, didn't like it at all. Weird sensation of the backend moving when turning into corners at speed. Guy that I sold it to put it off the road into a bog at about 80mph, car was rolled into a ball, he came out through the sunroof and was found nearly 100 yards from the car! He got up and walked away, very lucky guy!

Go for the 2 litre two wheel steer one your being offered, Nice car and Honda motors go on forever.

Best of luck!

invest4deepvalue.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭cargrouch

I'd like one of these myself. From my limited research, the recommended model is the 2.2vtec, without the 4w steering. There are (and you could be getting into the irish/english car versus jap confusion here) a few versions, eg TypeS, TypeR I presume, probably one or two more.

If you know your one is straight I'd give it a lash. The 4 wheel steering thing was a fad with japanese cars that never really lasted, mitsubishi, nissan and honda all had a bash at it. How many cars do you see with it now?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

Forgot to say that I had a Vtec also, very quick on the high cam but also very thirsty, best bet for me is the 2litre non-vtec. plenty quick enough and cheaper to run, petrol + car tax considered...

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

I had a 2.2 vtec 4ws too - thirsty but very fast and massive fun. I'd have another one in the morning, I liked the 4ws and never noticed adverse handling. The Irish spec 2.0 '98 Prelude was offered with minimum toys at a high price - if its really priced well go for it but if you want a decent one hold out for a 2.2 vtec. Make sure its been serviced regularly and hasn't been crashed - they are never as sweet once they've been smacked.

I had to sell my one because my two year old wouldn't fit in the back - don't buy if you need to carry more than two people.

'cptr

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Gatster

I had too had a 2.2 Vtec 4ws and it was top. Just before I sold my beemer (which so far was the best car I'd ever owned for any period) a mate commented that he thought the Prelude was the best car I'd owned in Ireland! Vtec is magic, I thought it handled great, very chuckable but great for distance as well. Go for a vtec if you can, with the above advice in mind.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Rudolph Claus

The 2.2Lvtec will have the same economy as the 2.0L non vtec i think. Anyone bothered to look uo the mpg of the 2cars in question. the vtecs were built for power and economy. The whole point of having a prelude is for the vtec. That irish/uk 2litre model is a desperate looking yoke, a gay car. The 2.2vtec model is still 1 of the best looking sports cars around. Any honda fan would take a 1993 2.2vtec real car over the newer gay 98 non vtec posers version.

Advertisement