Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dell Battery Announcement

• 15-08-2006 8:43am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 805 ✭✭✭

Announcement about batteries overheating / catching fire...
    ...only caught the end of it on Today FM about 10mins ago.

Did anyone hear the full announcement?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

SAN FRANCISCO/TOKYO (Reuters) - Dell Inc. said on Monday it would recall 4.1 million notebook computer batteries because they could overheat and catch fire, in the biggest recall in the 22-year history of the world's largest personal computer maker.

Dell blamed the voluntary recall, issued with the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, on the lithium-ion batteries made by Sony Corp. unit Sony Energy Devices Corp., which Dell said could in rare cases produce smoke and catch fire.

The batteries are also used by other computer makers, including Apple Computer Inc., which said it was looking into the issue. Hewlett-Packard Co. said its notebooks were not affected by the recall.

No injuries have been tied to the defect involving the Dell-branded batteries, Dell said. The company has received six reports of batteries overheating, causing damage to furniture and personal belongings, the safety commission said.

Dell spokesman Jess Blackburn said a battery of the type involved the recall was in a Dell laptop that erupted in flames in Osaka, Japan, recently. The incident was captured in photographs sent across the Internet. There has also been a number of recent reports of flaming Dell notebooks.

About 2.7 million of the recalled notebooks are in the United States, Blackburn said.

He also said the recall would have no financial "material impact" on Dell, while Rick Clancy, a spokesman for Sony Electronics Inc. in the United States, said the financial impact of the recall on Sony "is still not fully determined" and partly depends on how many people participate in the recall.

http://today.reuters.com/news/articlenews.aspx?type=technologyNews&storyID=2006-08-15T063122Z_01_N14331325_RTRUKOC_0_US-DELL-BATTERIES.xml&WTmodLoc=NewsHome-C3-technologyNews-2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Yes, this actually came out last october! I'm amazed its only hitting the media now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭DermoMIO

damn it my laptop is one away from the list. on the list there is "F5132" and my battery has "F5133"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

why damnit? if your battery is not on the list then your fine.

i've just noticed that 3 laptops in the company that i work for have to be replaced. :(

serves them right for going to dell and disregarding my advice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Good 'ol Inspiron 1000 *pets*:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 306 ✭✭JCB

I'm looking for this number and am i right in saying it's the number given on the charger or is it underneath or inside?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

JCB wrote:
    I'm looking for this number and am i right in saying it's the number given on the charger or is it underneath or inside?
    Charger?
    https://www.dellbatteryprogram.com/Default.aspx?LN=en-US . Read.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

DermoMIO wrote:
    damn it my laptop is one away from the list. on the list there is "F5132" and my battery has "F5133"
    no new battery then :(

there will be a lot of happy campers with half dead and totally dead batteries getting new for old

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Heard about this first thing this morning, dodged the list by 1 aswell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭tech

I've a D610 and my battery is ok !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Thelly

JCB- I was fairly confused as to where to find the bar code too(as there are a few different ones on my laptop) . You have to remove the battery - in my case theres a little arrow and you just unclasp it and remove the battery. The bar code is on the underside.

I have an Latitude D610 and luckily unaffected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Cremo wrote:
    why damnit? if your battery is not on the list then your fine.

i've just noticed that 3 laptops in the company that i work for have to be replaced. :(

serves them right for going to dell and disregarding my advice.

Eh, no, just the batteries!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭thewing

Nice one, battery life was down to an hour.....no wonder the thing nearly burned the tops of the thighs!!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2006/08/16/dell_battery_problems/
    The US Consumer Product Safety Commission is looking at other makes of laptop which use Sony batteries to see if they too pose a fire risk.
    Sony also supplies batteries to other manufacturers including Apple, HP and Lenovo, according to Reuters. The commission said it was looking at other laptops which use Sony batteries.

Dell says it expects no financial damage from the recall - presumably because Sony will have to pick up the tab. But damage to its reputation might cost more.

What's the bets that Sony laptops use Sony batteries ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Does anyone know if this affects Sony laptops or did they only give the dodgy batteries to other companies?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

nipplenuts wrote:
    Eh, no, just the batteries!

well sorry, i actually just meant the batteries, obiviously every other component is fine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭WillieDH

typical DELL ****e quality,reduce quality risk lives !!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

WillieDH wrote:
    typical DELL ****e quality,reduce quality risk lives !!!
    Did you not read the article? It's nothing to do with Dell, Sony made the batteries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Oisinjm

I had a scare there for a minute. Only found out about this 2 days ago. I checked it out and everything matched the thing on the site except the PDII number or something. phew

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭WillieDH

Blowfish wrote:
    Did you not read the article? It's nothing to do with Dell, Sony made the batteries.

I did read the article, the batteries are made by Sony, but as with all OEM deals they are made to the specification of the customer = DELL

So if DELL say they want to save 2p by skinning off some shielding then Sony make it for them.

Plus, who is to say that the batteries are OK, but the overall cooling mechanism in the laptop is not, again a DELL design or approved design.

You've fallen for DELLs PR machine trying to deflect the issue away from them.

W

so far it looks like SONY are footing the bill so it don't appear to be just an OEM spec thing

Advertisement